shape
carat
color
clarity

How should I set this stone?

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
So, I just purchased this peridot from Jeff Davies on ebay. My sister loves peridot and I thought it was a very pretty little stone. I would like to set it in either a ring or pendant (sterling silver). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of style, also recommended etsy vendors? I really don't want to spend too much, probably around 50 dollars depending on how special the setting is. No other stones, just something simple. I know the stone would be a nice size for a right hand ring, but maybe to small for a pendant? Any thoughts?
Thanks! Its 1.32 carats, 6.18mm square.

screen_shot_2014-11-06_at_2.png

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, I'll take a look. 50 dollars isn't reallya hard and fast budget, I just threw that out there because the stone itself wasn't very expensive so I don't want to spend a ton more on the setting but I'm open to suggestion.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
LuckyKelleyK|1415330674|3778945 said:
Thanks, I'll take a look. 50 dollars isn't reallya hard and fast budget, I just threw that out there because the stone itself wasn't very expensive so I don't want to spend a ton more on the setting but I'm open to suggestion.
I just did a 14k Stuller setting for a 6mm trillion, all said and done it came out too
120. You should be able to do yours in silver with a chain for 100-120. Shipping to and from with an Etsy vendor will cut into your budget.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love that Peridot!
i was going to bid on it too, but lost track of time and forgot all about until I saw your post. I'm sure you sister will love it.
Have you ever looked on tripps.com for settings? I haven't personally purchased anything from them yet, but plan to in the future. They have very affordable settings and chains.
You could get a 6 x 6 sterling silver pendant setting like this (I'm not sure why it's so inexpensive!)
http://tripps.com/index.php?p=product&id=43481
And a sterling chain like this:
http://tripps.com/index.php?p=product&id=48433
Or here's a sterling ring setting:
http://tripps.com/index.php?p=product&id=45406
You could have the stone set locally and probably come in under your $50 budget. I found a reputable local jeweler that will set my stones in settings purchase elsewhere for $25, but you might have to call around to see what different jeweler so charge in your area. I received quotes for setting stones anywhere from $25-$125 where I live.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$50 will be difficult because that's almost the cost of the setting fee itself. At that price, I'd get a standard silver setting off eBay (might get lucky with free shipping) and have your local jeweller set it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky OP for snapping that one! I loved the cut however not too keen on the colour, hence I did not buy it.

How about something like these if you like your jewellery chunky?

bombering.jpg

1-1-15-0027.jpg

1-1-15-0038_crop.jpg

I would probably team it up with a pair of peachy coloured trillions with straight sides.

Good luck with your new acquisition and project.

DK :))

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all your responses. Please ignore my initial 50 dollar figure, It was just something I originally threw out there but what I really would like is some good etsy vendor suggestions. I don't really want to buy her a cheapo setting if the cost of having it set would take up the whole budget. I just want something nice and simple in sterling silver. I was thinking for a pendant something like a slide bezeled pendant, and for a ring maybe a dainty solitaire with a twisty band. Maybe bezeled as well? I don't know how durable peridot is, I haven't really looked into it yet :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Stuller is very good quality; don't let the low price turn you off. I would find a local jeweler who can show you a Stuller catalog and set the stone for you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LuckyKelleyK|1415329096|3778940 said:
So, I just purchased this peridot from Jeff Davies on ebay. My sister loves peridot and I thought it was a very pretty little stone. I would like to set it in either a ring or pendant (sterling silver). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of style, also recommended etsy vendors? I really don't want to spend too much, probably around 50 dollars depending on how special the setting is. No other stones, just something simple. I know the stone would be a nice size for a right hand ring, but maybe to small for a pendant? Any thoughts?
Thanks! Its 1.32 carats, 6.18mm square.

Many of the ebay setting sellers in the recommended vendor listings, also include silver settings. I highly recommend one of those. They're often as low as $10. Just make sure your jeweler understands that peridot is a soft stone and it can easily chip during the setting process. The cost of setting a stone can be expensive too, so you may have to account for that expense. I also don't recommend bezeling it as that can #1, run up the setting cost, and #2, easily chip the stone as its a more invasive method of setting, and #3 it is often poorly done and can cover up much of the crown of the stone making it face up smaller.

Good luck.

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious|1415372028|3779133 said:
Stuller is very good quality; don't let the low price turn you off. I would find a local jeweler who can show you a Stuller catalog and set the stone for you.
I was referring more to the 2 and 3 dollar ebay type settings. I looked at the stuller website and didn't see much I liked. There also weren't any prices listed that I saw. Are there many more available silver settings in their catalog? I really prefer dealing with things online vs. going to a jeweler but if stuller has much more available I would be willing to look into it.

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
LuckyKelleyK|1415372796|3779144 said:
I was referring more to the 2 and 3 dollar ebay type settings. I looked at the stuller website and didn't see much I liked. There also weren't any prices listed that I saw. Are there many more available silver settings in their catalog? I really prefer dealing with things online vs. going to a jeweler but if stuller has much more available I would be willing to look into it.

Thanks! I will check the list.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To get pricing on Stuller, you'll have to ask any Trade member (online jeweller or your local jeweller). I don't know your budget so I'm not sure what links to send you. Given that peridot is soft, I would not send it to just any jeweller, particularly if you are considering bezel setting.
1. Most jewellers are reluctant to work with silver
2. Most jewellers do not make nice bezels and bezel settings have almost NO size leeway compared to prongs. Given that the stone has clipped corners, I do not suggest a bezel setting for your stone unless you go custom to make sure it fits.
3. Most jewellers tend to be heavy handed due to familiarity with diamonds and might chip a softer stone such as peridot. Please make sure your bench is experienced with coloured stones.

To be fair, I had my local jeweller bezel set a peridot but he picked out the Stuller setting so he knows it will fit (it was a trilliant stone) and he is very experienced with chippy stones like tourmaline so I trusted him to be able to do a good job.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
LuckyKelleyK|1415372796|3779144 said:
That's why I told you how much my 14k w/g setting cost "when it was all said and done", which implied there was a setting fee as well. The gold setting was $70. So it would be fair to assume that a silver setting would be less, aka, within your budget.

There's no magic to dealing with jewelers online. I avoid it at all costs, it's a hassle and takes longer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results