shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding rings in NYC

Parachute07

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this -- so forgive me if it isn't.

I spent many months lurking here and reading and reading to glean the information that armed me to make a great decision on a diamond for my fiancee. We got engaged just over a year ago and we're getting married next July.

We've looked long and hard at wedding rings -- both online and in-person....to no avail. I'm not sure exactly what we're looking for -- but ideally, something that isn't the same style available everywhere. She's looking vintage-ish. My parents talked me out of milgrain for her wedding ring and I shouldn't have let them do that -- I think we're going to end up adding it to her engagement ring. She likes carved/engraved/milgrain type stuff. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for beyond being two-tone.

We went to the diamond district in Chicago when we were there a few weeks ago and looked around and saw a couple of things we liked. She saw one ring she particularly liked and we took a picture. Prices weren't all that bad actually -- except, of course, on the one she liked....but at least one jeweler there asked where we were from and when I said New York, she moaned a bit and said she can't really compete with NY prices.

We happen to be going to the city tomorrow (we live upstate) and we're going to do a quick shopping jaunt tomorrow afternoon. I initially thought the diamond district just to be able to walk one booth to the next and compare stuff and get a feel for it. I understand the caveat emptor there -- though I'm hopeful that we're a bit better off in looking at wedding rings as opposed to diamond shopping.

We're only going to get to the city mid-afternoon, so we'll only have a couple of hours. We'll be there on Saturday also, but I figure a lot of places may be closed. Is the diamond district the most efficient use of our time for wedding ring shopping, or should we concentrate on another area? I'd also be very open to suggestions on specific places any of you have had success with. I know a lot of people mention GOG on LI for diamonds -- we're just not going out there this trip. Budget for the wedding rings is somewhere between $1k-$2k each. We've each seen rings we liked somewhat for anywhere between $700-$2200 so far. About half a carat in total weight looks about right on her finger -- she seems to like alternating princess and baguette stones channel set, but that's not "set it stone" (pun intended). Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd recommend Israel Rose. They have decent prices, and a *really* good selection. Congratulations on your engagement, and good luck!

Parachute07

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion - looks like Israel Rose is out of town for the week unfortunately.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Single Stone is having a trunk show today and tomorrow at Greenwich Jewelers in NYC! I live upstate, too, and I was really hoping to make it to the city, but I can't.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of places in the Diamond District are closed on Saturdays. It's not the best day to visit 47th street.

Michael C Fina had a good selection on display the last time we visited and they are open on Saturday. I got an email about them having Tacori trunk show this weekend. That store is on Park & 59th.

Parachute07

Rough_Rock
Tourmaline|1415372206|3779137 said:
Single Stone is having a trunk show today and tomorrow at Greenwich Jewelers in NYC! I live upstate, too, and I was really hoping to make it to the city, but I can't.

Thanks for the tip! Since it's going on tomorrow also, we'll toss that on the docket for tomorrow. Thanks again!

Parachute07

Rough_Rock
baby monster|1415373198|3779152 said:
Lots of places in the Diamond District are closed on Saturdays. It's not the best day to visit 47th street.

Michael C Fina had a good selection on display the last time we visited and they are open on Saturday. I got an email about them having Tacori trunk show this weekend. That store is on Park & 59th.

Yeah, I know tomorrow will be bad for 47th. We're staying a few blocks away, so we'll get there this afternoon and head straight there to take a look and see if something catches our eye. Tacori is probably a bit out of the price range, but I appreciate the thought!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Parachute07|1415375622|3779168 said:
baby monster|1415373198|3779152 said:

Yeah, I know tomorrow will be bad for 47th. We're staying a few blocks away, so we'll get there this afternoon and head straight there to take a look and see if something catches our eye. Tacori is probably a bit out of the price range, but I appreciate the thought!
Sundown is early today, lots of stores will close around 3. I'd make an effort to visit IDJ today because they're a PS vendor. Call them to see when they're closing.

Rika

Rough_Rock
OP - I just wanted to chime in and say that I had a great experience with Greenwich Jewelers! My husband and I got our rings there and they've also helped us with other jewelry projects. They are very nice, non pushy, and they have a beautiful store with quite a few things that would fit the type of jewelry you were describing. I have a Single Stone set too, so I give them a huge thumbs up as well! Enjoy the trunk show! :appl:

Also - as an aside - my husband has a Chris Ploof meteorite rose gold ring and it is SO COOL so I would check those out as well :D

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
If you have searched other threads asking the same question you will find the answer that 47th St is not a place to go in blindly and buy from the street vendors unless you have an appt and referrals. Also Saturday is Sabbath for most of them, so they are closed.
The age old adage applies here: You get what you pay for. In plainer terms, there are no deals.
Have you tried Chris at ERD? now called Brilliantly Engaged. There are others, just my good and solid experience with them.
Best of luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results