shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me decide!!!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ohhh PinkJ I love that design ! Those tiny spinels are so pretty...just a bugger to string lol

And CRD I love the look of that necklace - the single SS hanging from the black (diamonds?) really striking !

I've ordered from that same Etsy store and had nice results.

Looking forward to seeing your finished piece ! :appl:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Are you ladies having the spinel strands finished into necklaces by the sellers or stringing them yourselves? I've never done any stringing, but maybe this would be a simple first project? I'm not sure whether wire or something like Beader's Secret would be better to string the little 2mm beads. I'd probably never have the nerve to string expensive pearl strands myself, but it would be nice to learn to string some less expensive "play" necklaces. My 6-year-old, October-born daughter, who is obsessed with Mommy's jewelry drawers, would probably love a strand of pink tourmaline and/or opal beads.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Frost Me|1413767685|3769594 said:
Kay - I purchased the spinel from "the hemporium" ebay. I took a chance, not knowing and I am very happy with how sparkly they are.

pinkjewel - I can't wait to see your results! I don't have a project started yet, or pearls. I like this idea by Stacey Singer.
17666a_20eb88065d7c7ad76a88ca70ad571998.jpg

Frost Me- that looks like a fun idea. Those spinels look a bit larger- what size did you purchase?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
katbran|1413808905|3769704 said:
Ohhh PinkJ I love that design ! Those tiny spinels are so pretty...just a bugger to string lol

And CRD I love the look of that necklace - the single SS hanging from the black (diamonds?) really striking !

I've ordered from that same Etsy store and had nice results.

Looking forward to seeing your finished piece ! :appl:

thanks, Katbran. Yes, I agree, those tiny gems are a bit of a pain. I'm glad to hear that you've also had good results from that Etsy vendor.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Kay|1413833447|3769914 said:
Are you ladies having the spinel strands finished into necklaces by the sellers or stringing them yourselves? I've never done any stringing, but maybe this would be a simple first project? I'm not sure whether wire or something like Beader's Secret would be better to string the little 2mm beads. I'd probably never have the nerve to string expensive pearl strands myself, but it would be nice to learn to string some less expensive "play" necklaces. My 6-year-old, October-born daughter, who is obsessed with Mommy's jewelry drawers, would probably love a strand of pink tourmaline and/or opal beads.

Kay, Hisano is making my necklace for me. I think she is going to use Beader's Secret, but I'm not quite sure. I want them strung with something that can be knotted around each tahitian pearl as they are just too expensive to risk losing if the strand broke! I've never done pearl knotting, however I've strung tons of gemstone beads. Quite a few years ago I used to sell to jewelers and do art shows. I made fused glass jewelry and mixed them with gems. I will be stringing the beads I purchased on Etsy as I plan on making the SS pearl pendant on the black spinel necklace for my DIL for Christmas. Anyway, stringing is easy as long as you purchase a few simple tools. My favorite beading wire is Soft Touch by Soft Flex. This type of beading wire drapes nicely and yet is strong enough to withstand any sharp edges around your gemstone beads. I'm hoping I can use "fine" wire, but may need to use "very fine" depending on the hole size. So you take a jewelry wire cutter and cut your wire to the length you want plus about 3 inches on either end. Put scotch tape around the wire 3 inches from the end- this will prevent your beads from falling off while you string them. I never finish the end off before stringing as sometimes I change my mind about how I want to string things. Ok- once you've strung your beads to the desired length you'll need to crimp the ends off, so you need crimping beads in the right size to go with your wire. So, string the crimping bead onto your wire, and then string the wire through one side of your clasp, then you want to string it back through the crimping bead and through 2 or 3 more of the beads you strung, pulling it fairly taught so there are no gaps. Then take your jewelry pliers and press down on either side of the crimp- making sure you've mashed the wire down- tug gently to see if there is any give. Some people stop there- but I hate those flat crimps. Too me they look bad and they scrape my neck, so get a crimping tool and smash your flattened crimp sideways into the notch and it will make a nice round cylinder. Take your wire cutters and cut the excess wire close to your bead. Repeat steps on the other end. Now, with tiny beads like the spinels I have a feeling that the holes may not be large enough to go back through. If that's the case, I'll probably add some sort of spacer beads at the ends with large enough holes to go back through. Does that all make sense?

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Kay, yes they do look large that photo was an idea only. I purchased 3.5mm. I am happy with the size. I will string myself.

These are my strands.
img_5726.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1413364615|3767293 said:
canuk-gal|1411086151|3753434 said:
Kay|1410378680|3748575 said:
They are both beautiful, but different looks. I wear a lot of black and dark colors, and I love the Gellner Castaway, so I would probably choose the black spinels. If Hisano can't find spinel roundels that will work, you can always go with the white pearls.

Hi:

OHSO gorgeous! I'd love to own this necklace....but have never seen this brand/product anywhere...

cheers--Sharon

I've never seen the Gellner line in person either. Turns out there's going to be a trunk show not too far away from me which hopefully I'll be able to get to!!

Although I don't post as much as I once did, but will check in to "hear" if/what your success was regarding the trunk show/where the line is available. In the mean time, much success on your present project--- :love:

cheers--Sharon

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm always worried about using thread of any sort with those little gemstones as they can be quite sharp, you need to file each one smooth and I get too impatient ... I use fine wire and then the tiniest little bead stoppers to keep them from rubbing on pearls..they look like tiny black knots . I love necklaces and bracelets with the tiny 3mm gems .. such a gorgeous band of sparkly colour !

Those spinels will be beautiful ! I love them. And looking at a strand of black diamonds for like 900$ and thinking ... they look like spinels....how can you go wrong !

Can't wait to see the finished project ... those pearls are so pretty ! I love the light coloured ones :love:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the stringing tips Pinkjewel and Katbran -- fine wire it is. Now I just need to buy the spinel beads and a few tools and give it a go. I think I will do 17" of beads with a 3" silver extender chain so I can wear the WSS pendant at different lengths for different necklines.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Haven't started my spinel project yet; busy with work :( Best luck, Kay :) Katbran, could you tell us more about those tiny bead stoppers? What material are they made from? I too am worried about sharp edges on my spinel beads, especially since they were very inexpensive, and likely not prime quality ... but they're very sparkly LOL.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
The photo with the white SS that pinkjewel posted pushed me over the edge, too. My black spinels are waiting for me at the post office. :-o

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Oh you must share, ennui!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
pkinnew|1414798694|3775723 said:
Well, it looks almost exactly like that photo. I bought a black spinel strand necklace, and I have a white SS pendant set with an eye pin (no diamonds, alas) -- it fits perfectly over the spinel beads, and voila! "The look for less." :dance:

I like the crisp black/white contrast.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1414867938|3776062 said:
pkinnew|1414798694|3775723 said:
Well, it looks almost exactly like that photo. I bought a black spinel strand necklace, and I have a white SS pendant set with an eye pin (no diamonds, alas) -- it fits perfectly over the spinel beads, and voila! "The look for less." :dance:

I like the crisp black/white contrast.

Yay!!! I'm glad you liked the idea, too. How about a neck shot?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1415103191|3777281 said:

My neck shot didn't really turn out (too much chin) -- oh well, it was only my first try. But I did take another photo, just to share my ideas. I think I'll get a lot of use out of the black spinels; they look great with the white SS, the Tahitian, and the lavender fireball. I'm not sure why the photo looks so dark. Hmm. And the spinels are more sparkly in person.

4sale_pearls_eg_md_048.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1415143686|3777555 said:
pinkjewel|1415103191|3777281 said:

My neck shot didn't really turn out (too much chin) -- oh well, it was only my first try. But I did take another photo, just to share my ideas. I think I'll get a lot of use out of the black spinels; they look great with the white SS, the Tahitian, and the lavender fireball. I'm not sure why the photo looks so dark. Hmm. And the spinels are more sparkly in person.

4sale_pearls_eg_md_048.jpg

they all look good!! The spinels just jazz everything up a notch.
And as far as photos looking darker, for some reason PS seems to desaturate photos- especially if it resizes them,too.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
And- good news, my necklaces are ready!! I should have them in a few days and will post lots of pics- but here's a little peak. =)

tahitian_spinel.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1415145042|3777563 said:
And- good news, my necklaces are ready!! I should have them in a few days and will post lots of pics- but here's a little peak. =)

Those are gorgeous! That's the 17" and the 39", correct? WOW. Those pearls are so pretty! Love the pastel tones.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1415147236|3777587 said:

Those are gorgeous! That's the 17" and the 39", correct? WOW. Those pearls are so pretty! Love the pastel tones.

thanks!! I love the pastels, too. There's a total of 25 pearls including colors of pistachio, gold, champagne, pink, seafoam, blue, and copper, etc. All my favorite tahitian colors!!
I ended up deciding on 17" and 38" for the lengths.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Wow -- so lovely and unique. I bet you're starting a whole trend! I look forward to neck shots.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
PinkJewel,those are utterly Fabulous ... definitely a TREND!!!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous, and so unique! Looking forward to lots of neck shots.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel - Absolutely stunning!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Pink jewel, your necklaces are gorgeous! The spacing between pearls allows the color of each to really pop. I can't wait to see lots of neck shots.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, so, so terribly jealous!!! Those are TDF! Love that you can wear a short one, a double loop with the long rope, or a triple. They are more stunning than I would have imagined. I am looking forward to neck shots too!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
thanks, everyone!!! I promise to post lots of pictures. Now, I decided I may need some earrings with some black diamonds to coordinate, soooooo stay tuned... :naughty:

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I Love these strands Pinkjewel :tongue: , the pastels are such a contrast to the black spinel. That BLUE pearl… :tongue: Are they knotted at the pearl ends?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Frost Me|1415232659|3778274 said:
I Love these strands Pinkjewel :tongue: , the pastels are such a contrast to the black spinel. That BLUE pearl… :tongue: Are they knotted at the pearl ends?

thanks, Frost Me- yes,Hisano strung them on double synthetic thread and knotted on either side of each pearl. The spinels "kink" a bit right now, but Hisano said the knots will relax and the strands will then lay smooth.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel - You have to be very pleased with how this project turned out. I know that you have been wanting pastel Tahitians for some time, and this piece surely ticks a lot of your boxes. The pearls are beautiful and the arrangement with the black spinel beads is so striking. :appl:

I am looking forward to close ups of the pearls. This teaser photo leaves me a bit frustrated because I can't blow it up to see more detail. I look forward to your getting these necklaces and sharing lots of pictures with us. :wavey:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1415235499|3778296 said:
pinkjewel - You have to be very pleased with how this project turned out. I know that you have been wanting pastel Tahitians for some time, and this piece surely ticks a lot of your boxes. The pearls are beautiful and the arrangement with the black spinel beads is so striking. :appl:

I am looking forward to close ups of the pearls. This teaser photo leaves me a bit frustrated because I can't blow it up to see more detail. I look forward to your getting these necklaces and sharing lots of pictures with us. :wavey:

Yes, Fly Girl- I love the combination and I'm so glad I went with the black spinels. As far as the photo goes, it was the only one Hisano sent me, so I am also anxious to see it in person, although I did see all the pearls prior to the necklace being strung and they are all beautiful- intense blue/green, pastel blue, silver, pistachio, gold, champagne, copper, pink, pink/green, etc. They range from gem quality to AA+, with just a few small pinpricks in the A++. I think the design really does let each pearl shine individually and the pastels "pop" against the sparkly spinel beads. Unfortunately, I have not gotten notification of shipment yet although they were supposed to be shipped yesterday. If they weren't shipped yesterday, I will need to have them hold on shipping as I will not be available to accept shipments next week...bummer. :((

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results