shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! 1 month to choose an eng ring!

1820blue

Rough_Rock
Dear all!

First of all thanks to those who will take the time to read this post! I do realise that you must get hundreds of posts like this!..

So, i am proposing on the 12 th December and have organised a trip to London, hotel, proposal place... al thats missing is the ring!
I have researched the matter on and off over the past few months without jumping in and buying and without focusing all my attention on it (not pre engagement nerves i promise :shifty: ) I have researched the 4 c's and have some idea of what I should focus on.. where I get a bit lost is the cut, depth etc and where to finally buy the ring..

As it stands I am thinking to buy from Blue nile and have it delivered to switzerland where I live.. That brings us to budget and style..

I would love to buy the Cartier 1895 solitaire, but it is way out of budget.. thereofre i am looking for something similar between the $6-8k bracket, preferably 1-1.2ct - I have read on a few posts that color f-g-h seems to be the sweetspot and that with enough research i can find a vs1 with ideal cut in that range. I guess my question for you is - which online retailer would you recomend? which ring would come closest to the 1895 cartier - and if anyone can guide me on what cut to go for and perhaps post a few links to what would be a good diamond purchase. I would like to get it from bluenile mainly because I have heard good reviews and know people that have bought from there but am open to other suggestions.

Thank you in advance SO much for any input.. :wavey:

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at James Allen? They ship to Switzerland and have a great selection. This is somewhat similar to the Cartier 1895, and they have other cathedral setting as well: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...-white-gold-double-prong-solitaire-item-41059

And this scores well on the HCA but you'd need an idealscope to confirm. JA will do up to 3 idealscopes for you.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-358823

That's $7,660 USD before VAT and shipping assume you want platinum.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With JA you get to see your stone first. Nice suggestion!

1820blue

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your reply. Indeed I would want platinum. Is there any reason you would prefer james allen over blue nile? is it simply because you can see the diamond?

Also should i pay attention to fluorescence?

Thanks again for your input and taking your time to help an unknown!

1820blue

Rough_Rock
re post (still getting used to the platform) :doh: Thank you very much for your reply. Indeed I would want platinum. Is there any reason you would prefer james allen over blue nile? is it simply because you can see the diamond?

1820blue

Rough_Rock
One other question I would like to ask is : with the budget mentioned above what would you go for ? What would your sweet spot in terms of 4cs be? All that matters to me is to the naked eye .. :rodent:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1820blue|1415209772|3778060 said:
One other question I would like to ask is : with the budget mentioned above what would you go for ? What would your sweet spot in terms of 4cs be? All that matters to me is to the naked eye .. :rodent:
If all that matters is the naked eye, drop down to si1. Lots of si1s are eye clean, and when you shop with James Allen, you can both look at the diamonds yourself as well as ask a gemologist to verify that it is in fact eye clean.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
1820blue|1415207128|3778035 said:
Thank you very much for your reply. Indeed I would want platinum. Is there any reason you would prefer james allen over blue nile? is it simply because you can see the diamond?

I've always been very happy with the customer service at JA. Several of my friends have gotten their engagement rings there and the settings are a great value for the price. A similar setting from other PS vendors will easily be over 1k for platinum.

I would go with JA (or Whiteflash, or Brian Gavin) over Blue Nile for several reasons. The images on the JA page are the actual diamond you are purchasing, BN has a lot of stock images, so what you see may not be what you get.

JA will also hop on the phone or chat with you about specific stones WHILE they are looking at them to give you a description of the cut, clarity, relative performance between two stones, eye clean, etc. I ended up NOT buying my last diamond there because the SA I spoke with could tell I have a bit of an eagle eye and didn't think I would be happy with the inclusion.

They will also do idealscopes for up to three stones for free (assuming you purchase a stone). We assess cut by using the HCA to eliminate bad stones and idealscope images to select optimal stones. You really need both to 'see' a diamond online before purchase.

They have also in my experience been fast, so based on your budget, wants and timeline, I thought they were a good vendor for you. Is there a particular stone or setting that is drawing you to BN?

ETA: Regarding fluorescence, you'd have to ask JA if this stone becomes milky or oily. Strong fluor isn't necessarily bad, but probably does help this one come in close to your budget. Brian Gavin now has a specialty line of flour stones, it has recently become trendy IF it doesn't reduce the performance of the stone.

1820blue

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the great feedback !! Just one question you do not have an affiliation to james Allen right? Have just noticed a lot of pro james Allen comments ...

The reason I wanted blue Nile is that I really like one of the setting (solitaire cathedral in platinum) .. I do see the point however about not seeing the actual diamond ... Any more links to diamonds you would consider to be a good buy from any site? Knowing that want it clean to the naked eye and def want a sparkle :) thx again guys and girls

1820blue

Rough_Rock
Little scared about this fluorescence .. Maybbe i will jst go for no fluorescence to be on the safe side ..

1820blue

Rough_Rock
mercoledi|1415199361|3777942 said:
Have you looked at James Allen? They ship to Switzerland and have a great selection. This is somewhat similar to the Cartier 1895, and they have other cathedral setting as well: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...-white-gold-double-prong-solitaire-item-41059

And this scores well on the HCA but you'd need an idealscope to confirm. JA will do up to 3 idealscopes for you.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-358823

That's $7,660 USD before VAT and shipping assume you want platinum.

The link for the diamond you have has 2 clear black dots on the front .. Is that just the picture ??

1820blue

Rough_Rock
Niel|1415212889|3778089 said:
1820blue|1415209772|3778060 said:
If all that matters is the naked eye, drop down to si1. Lots of si1s are eye clean, and when you shop with James Allen, you can both look at the diamonds yourself as well as ask a gemologist to verify that it is in fact eye clean.

Thanks for the feedback Niel! I will definitely take that into account.. I need to find a diamond that corresponds first to the criteria and then have it checkd.. Im guessing they will then provide me with ASET images and other data that I can pass by with you guys to see what you thin`k?

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Hi there!

To answer your question about precious posters being affiliated with JA - I just wanted to add that if someone is affiliated with a company, they should have *trade* in the top right corner of their comments. It will usually say who they are affiliated with in the footer of their comment. One of the regulars will be able to confirm this, but once a poster mentions a company name, I'm fairly certain its against forum rules for another vendor to come in and recommend themselves. What you're getting is feedback from community members about a vendor they have had positive experiences with, whether it be themselves directly, or feedback from previous posters on the forums.

As for fluoro, use the search function and do some research - from what I've found from my reading, the vast majority of the time it has no ill effects on performance, but can certainly help price when working in a budget. Having said that, you need to be comfortable :)

Happy hunting :)

1820blue

Rough_Rock
adele_h|1415281276|3778509 said:
Hi there!

To answer your question about precious posters being affiliated with JA - I just wanted to add that if someone is affiliated with a company, they should have *trade* in the top right corner of their comments. It will usually say who they are affiliated with in the footer of their comment. One of the regulars will be able to confirm this, but once a poster mentions a company name, I'm fairly certain its against forum rules for another vendor to come in and recommend themselves. What you're getting is feedback from community members about a vendor they have had positive experiences with, whether it be themselves directly, or feedback from previous posters on the forums.

As for fluoro, use the search function and do some research - from what I've found from my reading, the vast majority of the time it has no ill effects on performance, but can certainly help price when working in a budget. Having said that, you need to be comfortable :)

Happy hunting :)

Thanks adele - yes i have since read the thread (should have done that first :think: ) I understand that most are neutrals I had just seen many other threads go straight for JA and well you can never be too careful these days. was of course in no way accusing anyone just asking the question!

I have since been on chat with James allen and am more than impressed so far. They have found a setting that matches quite closely the solitaire 1895 from cartier that im looking to get as close as possibe to. They have also sent me a few diamonds to have a look at that are apparently eye clean. I will do a bit more resasearch and perhaps post on here to get some initila feedback before narrowing it down to the last 3 to obtain my pricescope and aset.

Thanks again to all of those who take the time to help.. this is a daunting task I dont want to get wrong and this site has given me great help already. back to studying :read:

1820blue

Rough_Rock
Here is one of the stones james Allen recomended me ..

What do you guys think? Seems to be some small
Inclusions on the side but these can be covered by prongs? Any opionion welcome

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.13-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-379584

Here is the setting to go with it.. Do you think the setting will put the diamond in value ? Any pros and cons to this setting ?

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-double-claw-prong-engagement-ring-item-5302

Really really really appreciate IT... This is slightly below budget so could go up another 500-1000 i fit really woild make a big diff
Thanks again :love: :love:

1820blue

Rough_Rock
1820blue|1415287793|3778551 said:
Here is one of the stones james Allen recomended me ..

What do you guys think? Seems to be some small
Inclusions on the side but these can be covered by prongs? Any opionion welcome

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.13-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-379584

Here is the setting to go with it.. Do you think the setting will put the diamond in value ? Any pros and cons to this setting ?

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-double-claw-prong-engagement-ring-item-5302

Really really really appreciate IT... This is slightly below budget so could go up another 500-1000 i fit really woild make a big diff
Thanks again :love: :love:

This is the other stone they suggested .. A bit smaller .. What about color I not too low?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-358680

Is 1.01 compared to1.13 noticeable ?

garybloom

Rough_Rock
1820blue

I advise to focus on what you can see and get the largest size stone with the best cut for your budget.
As you stated, as long as it looks good to the naked eye... and that is what matters - and the story behind the person you're giving to.
A stone is worth how much the one receives it loves it. Both BN and JA are excellent companies with fine reputations.
I saw the suggested JA stones that were sent to you looked amazing. A great jeweler will set it exactly to your specs and get the most out of the stone. Enjoy and have a great time.

1820blue

Rough_Rock
garybloom|1415288908|3778562 said:
1820blue

I advise to focus on what you can see and get the largest size stone with the best cut for your budget.
As you stated, as long as it looks good to the naked eye... and that is what matters - and the story behind the person you're giving to.
A stone is worth how much the one receives it loves it. Both BN and JA are excellent companies with fine reputations.
I saw the suggested JA stones that were sent to you looked amazing. A great jeweler will set it exactly to your specs and get the most out of the stone. Enjoy and have a great time.

Thanks for your input! Yes I agree completely with what you say. In this case would you hence just go for the bigger of the 2. I wasn't really sure about colour I .. But apparently you can't really see the diff

Would anyone be able to offer any more technical input on the stones themselves or maybe provide some better alternatives?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.13 is gorgeous! I'm just an everyday person, no affiliation with JA. I usually buy from WF but in this case JA has the setting you like and a gorgeous stone!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any affiliation with JA, I just thought they were a good match for your budget. I didn't see anything in the 1 ct range at WF, GOG or BGD.

If you're willing to go down to an SI1 that might open up some options. Personally I prefer to stay over SI1 for an engagement ring unless the engagee has oked it but I'm in the minority on that.

The platinum settings at WF and BGD I think will blow your budget. GOG has two stones that are right at 1 ct. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondR...lor=60&priceMax=8000&resultsColumns=268435471

This one from WF is smaller, but should be on the firey side thanks to the smaller table. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3244532.htm# Their platinum settings start over 1K.

ETA: This one at BN has potential, but you would need to verify that it is eye clean and it is an I SI1. I'm not sure if they do idealscopes, but that's the only way to gauge performance. http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD05065681

1820blue

Rough_Rock
AprilBaby|1415290373|3778574 said:
The 1.13 is gorgeous! I'm just an everyday person, no affiliation with JA. I usually buy from WF but in this case JA has the setting you like and a gorgeous stone!

Thanks fir the feedback!! So you think
That would be classed as a gorgeous stone? How does it size up technically or should I request further images? Can you tells anything about the inclusion? Do
You think it would be noticeable.. I guess not if hey say it is eye clean. Also are there tests or specs as to whether it would be fiery and have a good sparkle ... Also
Amy input on the setting itself?! Sorry for 101 questions just feeling a little
Overwhelmed :shifty:

1820blue

Rough_Rock
mercoledi|1415300370|3778703 said:
I don't have any affiliation with JA, I just thought they were a good match for your budget. I didn't see anything in the 1 ct range at WF, GOG or BGD.

If you're willing to go down to an SI1 that might open up some options. Personally I prefer to stay over SI1 for an engagement ring unless the engagee has oked it but I'm in the minority on that.

The platinum settings at WF and BGD I think will blow your budget. GOG has two stones that are right at 1 ct. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondR...lor=60&priceMax=8000&resultsColumns=268435471

This one from WF is smaller, but should be on the firey side thanks to the smaller table. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3244532.htm# Their platinum settings start over 1K.

ETA: This one at BN has potential, but you would need to verify that it is eye clean and it is an I SI1. I'm not sure if they do idealscopes, but that's the only way to gauge performance. http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD05065681

Thank you so much for your feedback ... I really really appreciate it! I think you hit the nail on the head with JA and at the moment im pleased with the process... Where im still a bit lost is on color and the si1. You clearly say thats not your sweet spot but if it's eye clean are there any other factors i shoild consider. Obviusly there is more to a diamond to what the eye beholds but I think I'm ok as long as it's eye clean and I think my lady to be will be too (still sounds weird saying that) :)

Do you see anything better on JA than the recomended by the chat on JA... Can you tell me anything more technically about this stone that o should be wary of.., do you see any better alternatives on JA.. I would like to get it down to 3 stones and then have them checked and obtain the price scope.., unfortunately i dont think that will say much to me so will post images and info on here to get some feedback if that's ok? Thanks again woild buy you all
A beer if I could :mrgreen:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want to shop at Blue Nile, that's your choice. Stick to the Signature LIne and run the stones through the HCA. And read the below (so you understand what the HCA is).

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F. And GIA Ex is not enough. And you must stick to GIA and AGS only. EGL is a bad option: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/[/URL]
So how to we ensure that we have the right angles and cutting to get the light performance we want?
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut
Well one method is to start with a GIA Ex, and then apply the HCA to it. YOU DO NOT USE HCA for AGS0 stones.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. Under 2 is a pass. Under 2.5-2.1 is a maybe. 2.6 and over is a no. No score 2 and under is better than any other.
Is that enough? Not really.
So what you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.
That's what an idealscope image does. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope
It shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return. That is why you won't see us recommending Blue Nile, as they do not provide idealscope images for their diamonds. BGD, James Allen, GOG, HPD, ERD and WF do.

The Idealscope is the 'selection tool'. Not the HCA.
So yes, with a GIA stone you need the idealscope images. Or you can buy an idealscope yourself and take it in to the jeweler you are working with to check the stones yourself. Or if you have a good return policy (full refund minimum 7 days) then you can buy the idealscope, buy the stone, and do it at home.

Now if you want to skip all that... stick to AGS0 stones and then all you have to do is pick color and clarity and you know you have a great performing diamond. Because AGS has already done the checking for you. That's why they trade at a premium.

1820blue

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1415346517|3779004 said:
If you want to shop at Blue Nile, that's your choice. Stick to the Signature LIne and run the stones through the HCA. And read the below (so you understand what the HCA is).

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F. And GIA Ex is not enough. And you must stick to GIA and AGS only. EGL is a bad option: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/[/URL]
So how to we ensure that we have the right angles and cutting to get the light performance we want?
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut
Well one method is to start with a GIA Ex, and then apply the HCA to it. YOU DO NOT USE HCA for AGS0 stones.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. Under 2 is a pass. Under 2.5-2.1 is a maybe. 2.6 and over is a no. No score 2 and under is better than any other.
Is that enough? Not really.
So what you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.
That's what an idealscope image does. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope
It shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return. That is why you won't see us recommending Blue Nile, as they do not provide idealscope images for their diamonds. BGD, James Allen, GOG, HPD, ERD and WF do.

The Idealscope is the 'selection tool'. Not the HCA.
So yes, with a GIA stone you need the idealscope images. Or you can buy an idealscope yourself and take it in to the jeweler you are working with to check the stones yourself. Or if you have a good return policy (full refund minimum 7 days) then you can buy the idealscope, buy the stone, and do it at home.

Now if you want to skip all that... stick to AGS0 stones and then all you have to do is pick color and clarity and you know you have a great performing diamond. Because AGS has already done the checking for you. That's why they trade at a premium.

Thanks for your feedback - much appreicated.. I have now seen the light and am leaning towrads James allen for the obvious reason that they can confrim if eye clean and I can get the pricescope etc. waht do u think of the 1.13ct linked above? do you think it would be worthwhile asking for the pricescope and posting on here. As I understand we are allowed up to 3 . thanks again :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

1820blue

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1415353707|3779031 said:
The I.13 is nice stone. The crown height is lower than we ideally like (34-35.5 with a good HCA score).

Everything else about it is lovely.

What that means is it may not be as fiery as some. BUT I think as number 1 of 3 it's a good contender.

Here's number 2: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.13-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-347578

Thanks for the feedback.. Crown height is not something I had looked into! Thanks for sending a second option ... However the inclusion on the one seems far more visible to me than on the first one? Would this even be eye clean ?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I like on JA, you can shrink your stone to real size. Can you see. The inclusion now? It's probably very nice and better than what you originally choose. Take that as number two. Now let's see you use your knowledge for number three!

1820blue

Rough_Rock
AprilBaby|1415364306|3779065 said:
One thing I like on JA, you can shrink your stone to real size. Can you see. The inclusion now? It's probably very nice and better than what you originally choose. Take that as number two. Now let's see you use your knowledge for number three!

Noooooo ;-)

1820blue

Rough_Rock
Can anuone preside me any other sugestions? I could up the Budget doughnut to get maybe a 1.2 ... Or should i sacrifice size slightly and get something of higher quality? Thx again

1820blue

Rough_Rock
1820blue|1415378185|3779207 said:
Can anuone preside me any other sugestions? I could up the Budget doughnut to get maybe a 1.2 ... Or should i sacrifice size slightly and get something of higher quality? Thx again

Don't ask me how slightly was autocorrected to doughnut :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results