shape
carat
color
clarity

Girlfriend really likes Tiffany setting...what to do?

danekwkl

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend loves the Tiffany Harmony setting (here: http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/I...agement&search_params=param+1001/2001/0/0/0/0). Thankfully she's open to my getting her engagement ring from someone other than Tiffany but I'm not having luck finding something close enough to this setting (e.g., on BlueNile). It seems crazy to pay Tiffany prices on a diamond just for a setting we like!

Anyone have suggestions about how to do this? Could I safely buy a good diamond from BlueNile and then send it to someone else to make a platinum setting like the Tiffany Harmony one? (I'm a little afraid that I wouldn't even know if someone switched out the diamond....) If so, who would do this? Is online or in person better? If relevant, we live in NYC.

Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vatche makes a few tiffany repros but I don't know if they do this.

I'd probably go with a Whiteflash or something to create a replica if you can't find one.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
danekwkl|1403874684|3702006 said:
My girlfriend loves the Tiffany Harmony setting (here: http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/I...agement&search_params=param+1001/2001/0/0/0/0). Thankfully she's open to my getting her engagement ring from someone other than Tiffany but I'm not having luck finding something close enough to this setting (e.g., on BlueNile). It seems crazy to pay Tiffany prices on a diamond just for a setting we like!

Anyone have suggestions about how to do this? Could I safely buy a good diamond from BlueNile and then send it to someone else to make a platinum setting like the Tiffany Harmony one? (I'm a little afraid that I wouldn't even know if someone switched out the diamond....) If so, who would do this? Is online or in person better? If relevant, we live in NYC.

Thanks!

Living in NYC, you have great options! There are some very good estate jewelers who sell Tiffany engagement rings for sometimes as much as 50% off the retail, and they include the Tiffany paperwork too. After a good polishing, it would look as good as new.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Two choices:

1. Work with your GF and together find a replica from a PS vendor she would be happy with.

2. If #1 does not work, but the Tiffany ring. She has to be happy and she is the one wearing it.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
What price range are you looking to spend on this setting? I agree - avoid the Tiffany mark up if you can.

This is setting is not technically complicated and I think most dealers have a basket head with a taper cathedral. However, the ring band seems to bulge quite a bit before it tapers. Is this the element you like over the others you've seen?

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
Tiffany Harmony design is only a year old, thus pretty unlikely to find preloved. You may want to ask some of the vendors here to see how feasible it is to make a reproduction, or check locally. I did a quick google search and did not find anyone advertising that style setting unfortunately.

May want to consider biting the bullet and buying the real deal. Copies/repros are typically not exact. The amount of extra cost for the original may be worth it when you factor in the number of years she will be wearing it in addition to her having the actual setting/ring she really wants.....

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I was going to say the same thing - this mounting is fairly new. Finding it second hand would be difficult.

Has she actually gone to Tiffany's to try that particular ring on?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
A .47ct sold on ebay for $1950 in September with box and papers. I don't know how tight your timeline is but you can set up an automated search on ebay and see if you can get lucky. Oak Gem in PA sells a lot of estate Tiffany. If you reach out to them, let them know you're searching for it, and they too might make an effort to look on your behalf. Don't give up! Pre-loved is a way of getting exactly what you want for a fraction of the price.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest reaching out to some custom ring designers and getting quotes. Maytal Hannah makes a terrific repro of the classic Tiffany knife edge setting and she would be a good one to ask. Caysie van Bebber would be another good choice.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rockhoundofficiando|1403971591|3702850 said:
Tiffany Harmony design is only a year old, thus pretty unlikely to find preloved. You may want to ask some of the vendors here to see how feasible it is to make a reproduction, or check locally. I did a quick google search and did not find anyone advertising that style setting unfortunately.

May want to consider biting the bullet and buying the real deal. Copies/repros are typically not exact. The amount of extra cost for the original may be worth it when you factor in the number of years she will be wearing it in addition to her having the actual setting/ring she really wants.....

Having been on both sides of the fence (I own jewelry from PS vendors and a Tiffany Fancy Yellow ring), here is my opinion:

Yes, you pay a premium for a Tiffany ring, but 1 - she will have the real thing and will wear it with pride, 2 - you have 5 years to trade it in for something larger if that is what you want.

There is a reason why we so many want a Tiffany "inspired" ring, or a "reproduction".

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some Tiffany pieces of jewelry and most were bought second hand other than the Legacy band. But I wouldn't buy an e-ring there because I won't pay their prices for a round brilliant diamond that is not super-ideal cut. It is different if one wants a Legacy with their own specialty cut or a Lucida, but for round brilliants, we have better options for better cut stones at lower prices. That is why I started out (after finding PS) with the Vatche Tiffany repro setting with a superideal H&A round (I still have it with my AVR set in it).

Finding that new style setting second hand with the size diamond you want is going to be next to impossible unless you are willing to wait months or years. So your options are to pay for a new Tiffany ring or have a repro made with a larger diamond.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I wouldn't buy the Tiffany version, especially since - and I think a lot of people here are missing this fact - Your girlfriend is comfortable WITHOUT a Tiffany piece. She just likes the design. Yes, it's a decently new design but it does not look like a difficult setting for a competent smith to remake. You could even add your own touches to a custom piece, like a birthstone on the inside of the band.

If you're looking for vendors who might be up to the challenge, see Brian Gavin, Whiteflash, ID Jewellery (IDJ), Engagement Rings Direct (ERD). We've all seen lovely custom pieces from them before. Again, I really don't see this being a difficult setting to replicate. As you live in New York, IDJ and ERD are located in New York's diamond district. Good Old Gold mentioned earlier is on Long Island.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The james Allen looks pretty close for under $1000 and for the left over $12,000 she could have a really sweet diamond!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This an old thread........OP never reported back, I think this thread is dead.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have her read Pricescope, and in particular do searches here for threads about Tiffany.

After getting educated that you can get better cut, cheaper, elsewhere and nobody knows where a diamond was purchased if she still simply MUST have a ring from Tiffany, then get her ring from Tiffany.

There will be things you want that seem unreasonable to her.
Marriage is full of compromises.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd reach out to Brian Gavin Diamonds or Whiteflash and ask them for a quote on a custom piece. They're in TX, so you wouldn't have to pay sales tax on a purchase. They have great diamonds too, so it would be a one-stop shop.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HappyNewLife|1415234397|3778289 said:
They're in TX, so you wouldn't have to pay sales tax on a purchase.
Uhm ... be careful.
I believe you may be required to report all the purchases you made from out of state (on which the seller did not add sales tax, and pay use tax when you file your taxes.

Check with a tax person who knows tax law in your state.

I'd certainly not post on the Internet your intention to evade taxes.
Now that we know the NSA spies on our emails I would not be surprised if the IRS has bots that roam the Internet looking for this.

beekeeper

Rough_Rock
I'm also interested in the Tiffany Harmony replica setting. I've seen JA's replica version and while it's nice, I don't think it's for me (and her). I'm in the process of talking to BGD and WF about custom ring. Not sure which company I should choose. Any tips?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results