shape
carat
color
clarity

CBI v OEC diamond studs: which would you prefer?

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone: I'm coming out of lurk mode to gather your opinions on which you would choose with a $5K budget (not including setting) for diamond studs---CBIs or OECs? I'm curious to hear your views---and am leaving the question open deliberately to gather as wide a range as possible. Thanks in advance! :angel:

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably the OEC's if I had to choose between those 2. But in reality, neither. I would go for well cut WF ES-equivalent stones - something that gives fantastic light return... from a distance. I wouldn't pay the premium for a CBI or for the interest of the OEC's if I couldn't even see them and enjoy them myself. For a ring - heck yeah! I can see that and appreciate it. No one but me would know what is in my ears. JMHO. :)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd go for the OECs, because for 5k you can get stones big enough to see those gorgeous chunky flashes. And if you get true vintage and go the pre-loved (re: CHEAP) route, you can maximize size somewhat and go even bigger .... :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I have seen, CBI diamonds have a higher mark-up than some of the super ideal cut stones from other vendors. I found that WhiteFlash has better prices and bought my ACA pair there. You can go with ACA's if you want super ideal cut/hearts and arrows, or you can go with Expert Selection which are usually still ideal cut and great diamonds.

I think ideal cuts are going to have better light return on the ears, but if I had an OEC engagement ring, I'd want OEC's for my earrings. As it is, I have an AVR from Good Old Gold which is an OEC cut with great light performance, so I can really go either way with my studs, AVR or ideal cut rounds.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OEC and infinity is hard.

AVR and Infinity is fairer. And I would take the AVR.

Or the OECs with a huge discount.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
You guys are awesome!

ECF & DS: great points about ideal cuts and light return. I hadn't thought about the extra premium for CBI and the options for WF ACA or ES. :roll: Silly me.

Circe: Yup, I adore those chunky flashes and, if I could find a good matched pair, the checkerboard patterning. :lickout:

Gypsy: I hadn't considered AVRs---that would be the best of both worlds! Will go to GOG's site now . . . :read:

My goal: a pair of studs to wear every day. Based on your responses, I realize I do want great light return and presence---somewhere between 1 and 2 ctw. I'm not sure whether the patterning on an OEC would be visible in those sizes---what do you think?

Maybe I should go for AVRs or WF ACS/ ESs? I may still check out CBIs---I haven't seen them in person and from all that I hear, they would certainly provide the flash in the ears that I love. Given their price though, I may not be able to get enough real estate coverage to merit the expense.

Thank you!!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
How big are you trying to go for 5k? I just got a pair of PLAT OEC's studs bezeled with miligrain and personally I freaking love them! I compared them to a pair of WF ACA's and regular MRB's but higher in color and I can say without a doubt that the OEC"s appeal alot more to me. But then again who is going to get that close to my ears :naughty:

I think Erica at LAD had a bunch of great studs for earrings so I would check with her. She had at one point a pair of 1.98ctw for right around 5k.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Oooh SB---those sound perfect! That's exactly the kind of setting I'm thinking of doing as well! :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: Do you have pics/thread I could ogle??? :naughty:

In terms of size---2 ctw is the max size that I think my ears can handle for everyday. I currently have a 1 ctw and the size is good---just want a little more POW!

PS/ Your Venice is one of my favorites!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WhoaNelly|1415215552|3778115 said:
You guys are awesome!

ECF & DS: great points about ideal cuts and light return. I hadn't thought about the extra premium for CBI and the options for WF ACA or ES. :roll: Silly me.

Circe: Yup, I adore those chunky flashes and, if I could find a good matched pair, the checkerboard patterning. :lickout:

Gypsy: I hadn't considered AVRs---that would be the best of both worlds! Will go to GOG's site now . . . :read:

My goal: a pair of studs to wear every day. Based on your responses, I realize I do want great light return and presence---somewhere between 1 and 2 ctw. I'm not sure whether the patterning on an OEC would be visible in those sizes---what do you think?

Maybe I should go for AVRs or WF ACS/ ESs? I may still check out CBIs---I haven't seen them in person and from all that I hear, they would certainly provide the flash in the ears that I love. Given their price though, I may not be able to get enough real estate coverage to merit the expense.

Thank you!!!

I disagree that there is a “premium” for CBI as there is more focused selection of crystals (esp in SI grades), more time in planning and execution, more carat-weight expended to reach their level of fine-tuning, helpful documentation, photos and analysis at the source for each CBI (other manufacturers don’t do this) and more direct-support of their constituents and showroom dealers.

That said, I wonder if you have considered that the OECs were cut in the days when most lighting came from lamps on the walls, and not lights in the ceilings. It could well be that you would LOVE the large chunky flashes of light captured by the OECs from the lighting that is in effect coming from the sides of the stone which to us would be the ceiling since the stones are worn close to perpendicular to the ceiling.

Wink

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Hi Wink! :wavey: As a long time lurker I have enjoyed reading your posts. It seems to me given all the work that goes into branded premium cuts, they command a higher price---is that considered a premium? I don't have an issue with that if yes. I do covet a CBI---it's on my 'buy list' and I'm trying to determine whether it is worth spending those $ for a pair of CBI earrings.

Your make a good point re. OEC being cut for lighting coming off of walls and how that may positively impact OEC earrings. Hm. More to think and learn about :read:

Fun!!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WhoaNelly|1415228662|3778224 said:
Hi Wink! :wavey: As a long time lurker I have enjoyed reading your posts. It seems to me given all the work that goes into branded premium cuts, they command a higher price---is that considered a premium? I don't have an issue with that if yes. I do covet a CBI---it's on my 'buy list' and I'm trying to determine whether it is worth spending those $ for a pair of CBI earrings.

Your make a good point re. OEC being cut for lighting coming off of walls and how that may positively impact OEC earrings. Hm. More to think and learn about :read:

Fun!!!

Yes, it is fun! And for what you are wanting, I have to admit that the OEC's might actually be a great choice.

As for the premium thing, I think it is more a value thing than a premium thing. Some things cost a little more, but have more value. Is that a premium cost, or a better value? I would argue for the better value, but I would also wonder if this is the right project for those diamonds. There are always choices to be made and I wanted to share my thoughts that OEC's often make GREAT earrings...

Wink

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
That's a useful way to term it---value because I would hope that branded diamonds would provide and hold value over the long term :naughty:

Thank you for your unbiased opinion---further underscores my respect for you :angel:

Am just beginning the journey in earnest. Am going to India for a few weeks in India and may even check out some diamonds there!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realized I was focused more on diamond type than the budget in my first reply. I think with a $5000 budget, the thing you need to ask yourself is if you want to be able to upgrade the stones later, since $5000 isn't going to get you 2 ctw studs of any kind of quality diamonds, antique or newly cut. In that case, it might make more since to buy stones that can be easily upgraded. Obviously the superideal cut diamond vendors offer that, but you'll have to check policies on antique stone vendors. I will say that if you bought the antique cushion diamond you were looking at and use that as your e-ring, I do think either OECs or AVRs would be the best with your ring. The toss up is between old stones that may face up smaller (so pay close attention to diameter), lower light return, and lower price versus something like an AVR that has superior light return, excellent cut, but has the price premium as a specialty cut.

My vote is definitely an old style cut, whether OEC or AVR, with a milgrain bezel setting. I REALLY want a pair of those, too, but I am pretty picky about pairs matching, and that is really hard to find in antique stones and pricey with specialty cuts.

I am not really sure about the premise of OEC's reflecting light from the sides when the stones are set in bezels, though. They would pretty much only be reflecting light from the crown/table area of the stone.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
DS: yes, in doing preliminary research, $5K won't get 2ctw studs for sure. I would like something larger than 1 ctw though: I already have a MRB 1 ctw pair (pre-PS gift).

I'm leaning toward AVR and OECs---I took a quick stroll through GOG's site today and nothing jumped out at me. I'm not in a hurry though. I think with a bezel milgrain setting, 1.5 ctw will work for presence---now it's about finding the right pair.

I'm going to NY soon and will be seeing Adam to look at OECs and other pretties :naughty: Wanna join??? (I think you may be in the metro area?)

We did purchase the antique cushion: I love the cushion cut style and I can't complain about the finger coverage. That said, I'm not sure I love the color. I'm also talking to Adam about either going smaller/higher color or larger/higher color---DH is cautiously supportive :dance: Some days, I'm mesmerized and other days, not so much. I do get many compliments and I take joy in helping others learn about the beauty of old cuts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I WISH I was in NYC and could go shopping with you!!! That would be majorly awesome!! But I am not! ;(

Seriously, that is your best bet to go try to physically see pairs. As I said before, I find trying to match OEC's like finding a needle in a haystack, but going to see many at one time would be the best case scenario.

In regard to AVR's, I have resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to choose one stone and then have them cut a match or else cut a new matched pair. They rarely have matched pairs sitting in inventory.

I understand what you mean about color. That can be a dilemma and I have experienced that myself as I looked at several AVRs. I also think higher color is very important in bezeled studs or studs, because you need that extra whiteness for the stones to appear brighter, and to me, even moreso with OECs that don't have as good light return. And by better color I mean J or higher. For me personally, I prefer I or higher for earrings.

That will be great to go explore other options for your ring stone. You may find it is still the best regardless of color, or you may find your dream stone in a higher color! Just keep us updated when you go! And take pictures if you can!

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Thanks DS! Will definitely keep PS posted.

The OEC matching will be an interesting one---between color, carat, and facet pattern---wooo! And the fact you have been searching for a while tells me, deep breath :twirl:

Thanks too for the suggestion on color for bezels. I'll definitely be looking around for finished pairs to see what I can.

As for the ring, as I look at more antique diamonds, I tend to gravitate toward K/L and for whatever reason, I don't like Js, and go above that to G/H/Is if whiteness really matters for the piece. Weird eyes b/c I'm truly not that color sensitive!

Be well!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you can get to 5.5-6.0 mm with your budget that would be my goal.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
I will shoot for that Gypsy! I was going to cut out some circles and put them against my earlobes to see what size I'd like. Gawd, I'm a freak :lol:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Totally crappy photo but you get the point! The pair Erica had were great in clarity but lower on the color range. It just depends what you want. I think mine are K's but that is my ideal spot. I like my older cuts to be in the warm range but not yellow. Adam sourced the stones and did the settings.

And 5k is a great budget. You might have to be patient though for the perfect pair to come around!

earringsoec_1.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I was just having a similar situation, I went with OEC! I found a gorgeous pair from a PS'er with a facet pattern I just loved. Good luck and please post what you choose :-0

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
(and Wink is currently setting mine and then I will share!)

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
SB: those earrings are stunning! :lickout: :love: Exactly what I'm looking for---and they are Ks! I love Ks. Since I'm seeing Adam next week, will chat with him to see what he has available/can find. :dance:

Artdecolover: I can't wait to see your pair! I love that you love the facet pattern and that you got them from a PSer---it's nice when diamonds go to homes where they are cherished.

Wear in good health, both of you.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
SB: any chance you could share the finished diameter of the earrings? I'm wondering what size will look good when I include the bezel. Thank you! :wavey:

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Yes whoa nelly- I drool over this ps'ers things so I was excited to be able to purchase them. Have you tried on different sizes at the store? I am glad I did because I tried on ones that were actually both too big and too small.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Artdecolover: great suggestion! I will do that! Thank you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too am a big fan of J's and K's for earrings.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
WhoaNelly|1415296567|3778665 said:
SB: any chance you could share the finished diameter of the earrings? I'm wondering what size will look good when I include the bezel. Thank you! :wavey:

Gosh I think they are 6.8mm and 2.3ctw. They are I1's but eye clean- took Adam a while to fine me I1's that were eyeclean! I was actually looking for something smaller but Si1 or higher but he found this pair that was larger and the I1's put them in my budget. Under a loupe one of them has a cloud and I can't remember what the other diamond was to be considered an I1. Like I said I compared them to several other earrings including ACA's and honestly my diamonds were much more appealing. Just be patient and you will find the right set that sing to you.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
wow I1's huh. they look stunning. what color are they SB?

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Wowzer again: they are beautiful. Thank you for sharing the details. And reminding me to be patient. :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results