3. Chrysoberyl

Price (cheapest first):
1. Chrysoberyl
2. BE treated Sapphire
3. Irradiated Diamond
4. Heated/unheated sapphire
5. Earth made Diamond

Color:
These don't get numbers because I can't think of a way to qualify them like that, it really just depends on what you want. Yellows in diamonds can go either brown or green, yellows in sapphires can go brown or green, and chrysos typically go more green.

So, OP, those are probably the best options. There are other yellow stones, but they are typically going to be softer and #whatTLsaid, chippier. So I'd figure out budget and the color/shape you want, and we can help you find options within your parameters.

I've often drooled over yellow stones, but I can't stomach the price on sapphires or diamonds, so I'm 100% you in your search! (No worries in me trying to steal anything out from under you though - I'm tired of having loose stones around, so all of my money is going into setting stuff!)

liao

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1414787451|3775629 said:
the_universe|1414785645|3775614 said:
not trolling at all.

does it matter if the stone is "treated" via radiation in the earth or "treated" via radiation in a lab? chemically its the same stuff and the colors are caused by the same effect.

when was the last time you saw someone wearing a color stone that was really impressive and you thought "its a treated stone?" I know when i see someone wearing a beautiful colored stone I think to myself "wow what a beautiful stone." I dont ever hate on it and think "thats got to be treated."

The technology is getting to the point that jewelers cant even tell the difference without sending the stone out to a lab. Not that it matters because jewelry is not an investment anyways. chances are some of the colored stones that these very forum members have are treated and were told they were not. GIA is not as reputable as people think.

getting your stone "appraised" is also a scam (always appraises for much more than its true value to make the customer feel good about their purchase). if you ever actually try to sell it you wont get close to what its appraised for. The best way to get the appraisal value for something is running an insurance scam (which I dont condone but happens all the time). Anyone who does not believe me I challenge said person to make an attempt to sell their piece and see what true market value is for it.
I happen to remember you going on a spiel about how you could get a diamond in Indonesia for half of the price it would be here, and "get a nice vacation out of it." You also demean diamonds and jewelry regularly, every time stating how jewelry is a scam and not an investment, blah blah blah. Why are you participating or even LOOKING at a jewelry forum?

Yes, I regularly look at jewelry and think, "Well, that's fake." And, unless I'm at a PS GTG or a high end jewelry store, it is actually fake or massively treated in some way. By the way, no one here admonishes treatments. We advocate for knowing what you are buying and paying a fair price for it.

As for appraisals, yes, typically they are terribly over-inflated, and no one here is going to argue that with you. There are very few (relatively speaking) appraisers that know what they are doing with colored stones, and I don't actually know of many people here who have had their gemstone jewelry appraised and insured.

I think you should perhaps read through your posts and consider whether it is accurate information and if it is helpful to the discussion at hand before clicking that "submit" button.

it seems like this the_universe is an indonesian. I remember an old indonesian acquaintance of mine, han sam kay (I forgot how to pronounce his name). He was called indonesian's king of gemstone. I was invited to his home in east java when I visited indonesia many years ago. Guess what, he only have several small blue-green to purple alexandrites. Now I wonder, if the indonesian's king of gemstone did not even have any 3ct+ alexandrite, how on earth the_universe's great uncle owned a freaking 10ct green to red alex? Remember, indonesia had not gained its independence until 1945s, and then they close their economy until 1966. I do not think any indonesian can afford to hunt any gemstone in Russia

Remember, you cannot beat experience with imagination and google search

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Freke pretty much summed up everything. My vote is for chryso.

#whatTLsaid should be a thing here :wink2:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
liao|1414822440|3775872 said:
it seems like this the_universe is an indonesian. I remember an old indonesian acquaintance of mine, han sam kay (I forgot how to pronounce his name). He was called indonesian's king of gemstone. I was invited to his home in east java when I visited indonesia many years ago. Guess what, he only have several small blue-green to purple alexandrites. Now I wonder, if the indonesian's king of gemstone did not even have any 3ct+ alexandrite, how on earth the_universe's great uncle owned a freaking 10ct green to red alex? Remember, indonesia had not gained its independence until 1945s, and then they close their economy until 1966. I do not think any indonesian can afford to hunt any gemstone in Russia

Remember, you cannot beat experience with imagination and google search

Wow, what an amazing experience it must have been.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LoversKites|1414829484|3775895 said:

I'm working on it. :razz:

Seriously though, I've been dittoing her so much lately, that why not?! Now if only PS used hashtags!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably not durable enough, but at a good price ($ 65):
Citrine from Jeff Davies Gems

_23782.jpg

Mrs_A

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your honest comments, opinions, advice and links. I need to go away and see if I can find what I am looking for. The other matter which makes things slightly difficult is that I am based out of the UK, so I would get charged shipping + customs duties on the item. This means that unless the price is AH-MUH-ZING for the stone, it may not always make sense once the customs duty is factored in.

I will definitely check out Chrysobeyls too. My budget for the stone is quite limited, probably around £150 - £200 which is about $250 - $300. I am looking to re-use my original engagment ring setting which is a simple tapered white gold 4 prong solitaire setting which I would get yellow gold plated and probably a new head made to accomodate the larger stone size.

At this point in time, I would like to have something which looks pretty (on my limited budget) and maybe in the future when I have more funds I can afford to get something more "valuable".

Acinom - 4ct citrine that you sent the picture of is BEAUTIFUL but I cannot see it on their website anymore. I shall check out the other 3ct options they have. I would like to find something which is close to the colour of yellow gold (18ct or 14ct yellow gold shade) rather than too orange or too green.

Digdeep - The gemtrader link is also super helpful (and within my budget - yay!)

One question I did have - if I go for an oval shape, I assume that I would still need to be concerned about a potential "bow tie" effect? What things should I be looking out for in a coloured stone? I find it a bit difficult on coloured stone ovals to know what is actually a bad cut as opposed to the stone being quite clear and see through. Again, apologies if that sounds like a stupid question. I am not very well phrased in oval shaped stones (or as you can see, coloured stones for that matter) but I am trying to get there.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you inquired with your local jeweller how much it will cost to get a new head done? I have a feeling it is going to cost around $100 at the very least. Yes, with a longer shape such as oval, there is always the potential for bowties and the half/half obstruction. For most people, colour comes first and unfortunately, the colour you are looking for (very yellow 18K yellow gold) generally costs quite a bit and/or can be a challenge to find unless you are open to a bit of brown/orange/green mixed in.

Regardless of shape, the advice here still applies.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL]

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a yellow zircon (and no, for the non gem minded people out there, I am not talking about cubic zirconia). Otherwise I agree with the others go for a Chryso.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
TL said:
Mali garnet was advised above, but many do have significant brown in them. If that's not a problem, then that's also an option. Although garnet is more durable than tourmaline and beryl, chrysoberyl is really the most durable of them all.
Absolutely.

LOL. The first PSer with her own hashtag. Then I read further down and saw someone had beaten me to it again :bigsmile:
FrekeChild|1414911483|3776258 said:
LoversKites|1414829484|3775895 said:

I'm working on it. :razz:

Seriously though, I've been dittoing her so much lately, that why not?! Now if only PS used hashtags!
Not to worry Freke, I often feel as though I don't have an original thought in my head!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, for one, am very happy to see TL being active on the boards again because she has a wealth of knowledge and is willing to share it. I'm also happy that Marlow and Liao are around too, as they obviously have a ton of knowledge and experience too. So in short, I'd love to see participation from ALL PSers. You are what makes this place great and helpful! :appl:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1415022629|3776723 said:
I, for one, am very happy to see TL being active on the boards again because she has a wealth of knowledge and is willing to share it. I'm also happy that Marlow and Liao are around too, as they obviously have a ton of knowledge and experience too. So in short, I'd love to see participation from ALL PSers. You are what makes this place great and helpful! :appl:

I totally agree.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Enough guys. Posts have been removed for violating our policies. If you don't like a post, report it and let us determine it's authenticity.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Ummm... must have missed something in the dead of night.

Chrono|1415022629|3776723 said:
+1 We do have many knowledgable PSers and it's great be able to learn from them all!

You too can take a bow Chrono - indefatigable! I can write it but I can't say it :bigsmile:
I often feel as though I'm following you around even though we're at opposite ends of the day when it happens!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results