shape
carat
color
clarity

Voter report card, is this legal?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the mail a few days ago, my husband and I received cardboard flyers from America Votes. On one side it's saying be a voter, etc. On the other side is a graph showing my voting participation compared to people in my area. My husbands shows the same. Knowing that I don't vote anymore and he votes every election, the graphs seem to be quite accurate. I don't think anyone was "guessing" here. I think someone actually looked at our voting records, as it says, "We have a record of you voting in one of the last four general elections, according to public records for your current address only."

I do not care in the least if anyone (like our mail carrier) sees that I don't vote. But what if I did? Is this considered an invasion of privacy? I think it may truly be legal to go look at someone's voting record, but is it legal to put it out there (though not in specific detail) to the public? And what exactly are they trying to accomplish, shaming me into voting? Coercian anyone?

Please keep any comments to my question at hand, is this legal and is this an invasion of privacy. Thank you!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I failed to include this before my edit time ran out, but the card actually says at the top of the graph side:

Ellen Smith's (not my real name) 2014 Voter Report Card

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is pretty disturbing! First of all, who IS "America Votes"? I just looked at their site and under the "About" tab they use the word "progressive" eight times in four paragraphs. They also have a 20 state "network." Network of WHAT I can't really determine.

There is a contact under "Press." Why not contact them and say, I want to know how you got my information. Presumably they used legal channels, but I would really make them spell out for you what those channel are and any legalities that they face in this regard.

I can only speak for my voting experience here in Illinois (Chicago, to be specific) but we vote in a "private" manner, meaning we make our marks on the ballets in a location away from other voters. If they wanted us to vote publicly why not just have us stand at a big open table and have us fill in the circles (or punch the chads, or whatever) for all the word to see? (And maybe they do that in other locations; as I said, I can only speak for my geographic experience.) Or for that matter, we can just stop at the door and scream our choices across the room if public is the way to go.

Frankly I'd be pretty PO'd is this showed up in my mailbox!

ETA: If I had more time this morning I would look deeper into the site and try to figure this out a bit, but unfortunately I have to bolt off and pick up a client. I'll be curious to come back to this thread tonight though and I hope someone else has some insight.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for commenting Dee.

Yeah, I went to their website and noticed everything you did, and had a lot of the same thoughts. We vote in the same manner down here (southern IL for those unaware). But I want to think at some point in the past someone told me you can go somewhere (courthouse maybe? need to find out) and see a persons voting record. But even IF that is legal, this is entirely diffrent. Most people don't care I doubt who votes enough to go digging, but this is not only digging, it's putting it out there.

I do intend to contact them, but to be honest, I want the truth before I go confronting them, because frankly I don't have any real reason to trust them right now. If I know the whole deal/truth beforehand, I may catch any dishonesty that may ensue.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ellen,

Yes, it quite legal. The election lists are used by every political party looking to seek election. Its public knowledge. For example, the calls you receive are not random. You may live in a state that requires you to declare a party affiliation when you vote in primary elections, so anyone looking can see which party you chose in the last primary election. It also leaves off names of those that did not vote, so by checking addresses against the voting rolls you can see where none voters are, which those looking to increase voting will pursue.

In the day of the computer, people will use the technology to mine further data. Usually you just get the last major election lists, but if they see a possible advantage, they will use the new technology.

They want to get you out to vote, not really to embarrass you. Its perfectly legal.

PS They do not know who you voted for in a slate of candidates of one party . In the General election it only shows you voted, not who you voted for. In the General election there is no party declaration. I live in Il. as well. You have to declare in Il.in primaries, but not in the General Election.

Annette

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
smitcompton|1414851501|3775953 said:
Hi Ellen,

Yes, it quite legal. The election lists are used by every political party looking to seek election. Its public knowledge. For example, the calls you receive are not random. You may live in a state that requires you to declare a party affiliation when you vote in primary elections, so anyone looking can see which party you chose in the last election. It also leaves off names of those that did not vote, so by checking addresses against the voting rolls you can see where none voters are, which those looking to increase voting will pursue.

In the day of the computer, people will use the technology to mine further data. Usually you just get the last major election lists, but if they see a possible advantage, they will use the new technology.

They want to get you out to vote, not really to embarrass you. Its perfectly legal.

Annette
Hi Annette,

If that is the case, why not just a cheery reminder to vote? I'm well aware how often I (don't) vote, and I am well aware many people around me do. A graph charting all this is not necessary if all they want me to do is vote. That can be accomplished minus the graph, imho. ;))

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be very bothered by receiving something like this. I don't know whether it's legal or not. If voting records are public record, it might be. But I think it's intrusive and an attempt to shame people into voting. I don't think it's an effective method to try to encourage people to vote.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Creepy!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matata|1414863361|3776032 said:
Ellen, looks as though it's happening all around the country and other folks are upset as well. I guess we can add another term to our urban dictionary "vote shaming." I think this practice is shameful and a violation of privacy regardless of whether it's a matter of public record.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/27180632/neighborhood-says-theyre-being-intimidated-into-voting
Hi Matata, thanks so much for this link. Very interesting. Apparently there is more than one organization utilizing this tactic. And, the "report card" in MO was even worse than mine. Mine just had bars showing how much or how little voting participation there had been, but the one in MO actually gave letter grades! :o

I found it also interesting the woman being interviewed used the exact same word I had, feeling she was being "shamed" into voting. And I totally agree with her saying this will have the exact opposite effect of what they wanted. It sure doesn't make me want to vote, and I doubt it will a lot of other people.They said it's being looked into, so will be watching to see if anything comes of it.

Shame voting, yeah. :nono: And even if it is legal, which it's looking like it is, it's just wrong, unethical, and yeah, a bit creepy.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is legal. Anyone can look up whether or not you have voted. In many places you have to go to city hall to do this still but some counties, like mine, have it all online. Mailing the info out is a proven strategy for increasing voter turnout, and has been done periodically by different organizations for the last two decades. I'm on my phone so I can't look up more info now but I have LOTS more.

And yes, the POINT is to shame people into voting. That's exactly why they do it, and why it works. There's extensive research on it. It is SIGNIFICANTLY more effective than just a reminder to vote.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1414889709|3776177 said:
Yes, it is legal. Anyone can look up whether or not you have voted. In many places you have to go to city hall to do this still but some counties, like mine, have it all online. Mailing the info out is a proven strategy for increasing voter turnout, and has been done periodically by different organizations for the last two decades. I'm on my phone so I can't look up more info now but I have LOTS more.

And yes, the POINT is to shame people into voting. That's exactly why they do it, and why it works. There's extensive research on it. It is SIGNIFICANTLY more effective than just a reminder to vote.

Yes! That's what those "I voted today" stickers are all about, too.
I dunno if I'd call it unethical. It's marketing.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it's a matter of public record and yes it's legal.

I've walked precincts in the past, and the first thing you do, whether it's pre-election or on election day, is pick up a printout for your precinct that shows the name and address of each registered voter, their party affiliation, and whether or not they voted in the last general (or whatever) election. That was many election cycles ;)) ago and I'm sure the reports today's precinct walkers get are more sophisticated than that.

I agree there's an element of "vote shaming" to the "voter report card" but honestly, it doesn't bother me as infringing on privacy or anything like that. However, the thought that the practice might coerce someone who doesn't follow any issues and might just blindly vote the recommendations on some slate mailer does concern me.

As far as privacy goes, I'm far more concerned about things like recordings of 9-1-1 calls being released under the guise of "first amendment rights" and 'the public's right to know" when I suspect the real reason has more to do with voyeurism, entertainment value, and attracting viewers/clicks... but that's a topic for another thread. :rodent:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1414889709|3776177 said:

I'm not sure exactly what that says, but it says something. Wow. Sure doesn't work for me. lol And I am really surprised this is the first I have seen of one if it has been done for this long.

And Monarch, after reading your comment, I thought I might have used the term "unethical" incorrectly, so I checked into it and found a list of synonyms. I think more than one of these could easily qualify. So for me it's still unethical.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/unethical

Thank you for all the comments everyone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find the political mailings and the majorly annoying phone calls a total and complete waste of time and money. When my phone rings, I look quickly at caller id and then press Talk and Off to disconnect them. I don't even care to listen to the ringing.

Are they that stupid to think people really vote based on that garbage??? That's the scary part.

Anyway, I find your mailing annoying, absolutely. I could have received one but honestly I throw them in the trash before I read them.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1414988806|3776598 said:
I find the political mailings and the majorly annoying phone calls a total and complete waste of time and money. When my phone rings, I look quickly at caller id and then press Talk and Off to disconnect them. I don't even care to listen to the ringing.

Are they that stupid to think people really vote based on that garbage??? That's the scary part.Anyway, I find your mailing annoying, absolutely. I could have received one but honestly I throw them in the trash before I read them.
It is scary, but from previous comments in here, apparently it does work..... :-o

And you sound like me hitting the talk and end buttons. I've been doing the same thing. :lol: This election seems worse than anything I can remember for calls AND flyers. SO obnoxious. Just a little over 24 hours left....

Good to see you friend! :wavey:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are they that stupid to think people really vote based on that garbage??? That's the scary part.

Anyway, I find your mailing annoying, absolutely. I could have received one but honestly I throw them in the trash before I read them.

They aren't stupid, and as others have pointed out, it ain't new. This is data mining on a grand, unregulated scale. And every last one of us agreed to it when we embraced the internet and electronic interconnected everything. Pandora's box is open and there is no point in acting shocked. Annoyed? Sure. Shocked? Nah. Because the fact remains, if money did not talk in elections, the vast sums of money that are spent doing that data mining, and advertising and sending flyers and making phone calls, etc, would not be spent to get out, or in some cases discourage, the vote.

Said flyer or phone call may not work with YOU - although I suspect that those of us who pat ourselves too much on the back that WE aren't ever swayed by any marketing pitches ever, are deluding ourselves - but it does work to influence enough people to make it worth the campaigns' time and dough, especially in tight races.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
On FB last night I saw that someone posted a link to a site where you can look up anyone's name and it displays their voting history. I'ts disturbing, but certainly not surprising.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A brief summary of GOTV research (please note, this is only get-out-the-vote, not persuasion):

- I've seen no statistically reliable evidence that robocalls or emails do anything to GOTV. Personally, I spend zero dollars on robocalls - only one campaign I've been high-placed enough to have say in that has used them and that was the Campaign From Hell last year that lead to my current suspension of work because I couldn't even stand to run into my ex-employer at meetings. So, quite frankly, I didn't care what they did by that point.

- There are actually REALLY HILARIOUS fights in the academic literature over phone calls. Robocall, volunteer phone calls, professional phone bank calls - all have hilarious fights.

- The BEST turnout method is face-to-face speaking, thus, door-knocking. Conducted correctly, canvassing can increase turnout by 8%.

- Live phone calls are marginally effective - some studies say AS effective as face-to-face but I'm skeptical - though it may be significantly more dependent upon the personality of the caller. Most studies show about a 1% increase in turnout, comparable to direct mail. ALSO, please don't be a jerk to the volunteer who is calling you. PLEASE. If you know it's a political call, answer with who you're voting for and when you're voting (or if you're not voting). My answer during election season is "Straight-ticket democrat, not donating, don't want a yard sign, voting on X day, thanks for calling." That's the information they want. You have just given them everything they need to mark down on their sheet. If you don't answer, or answer and then hang up without getting the info, you've just been marked as a "Call Again."

- The mailout with your voting record is also very effective. It DOES alienate people, but it still raises voter participation by a HUUUUUGE amount.
The control group in our study voted at a rate of 29.7%. By comparison, the "Civic Duty" treatment grou voted at a rate of 31.5%, suggesting that appeals to civic duty alone raise turnout by 1.8 percentage points. Adding social pressure in the form of Hawthorne effects [knowing that it is being measured] raises turnout to 32.2%, which implies a 2.5 percentage-point gain over the control group. The effect of showing households their own voting records is dramatic. Turnout climbs to 34.5%, a 4.9 percentage-point increase over the control group. Even more dramatic is the effect of showing households both their own voting records and the voting records of their neighbors [literally listing address and names by voting record, so WAY more intense than this America Votes mailout]. Turnout in this experimental group is 37.8%, which implies a remarkable 8.1% percentage-point treatment effect.

It is important to underscore the magnitude of these effects. The 8.1 percentage-point effect is not only bigger than any mail effect gauged by a randomized experiment; it exceeds the effect of live phone calls (Arceneaux, Gerber, and Green 2006; Nickerson 2006b) and rivals the effect of face-to-face contact with canvassers conducting get-out-the-vote campaigns (Arceneaux 2005; Gerber and Green 2000; Gerber, Green, and Green 2003). Even allowing for the face that our experiment focused on registered voters, rather than voting-eligible citizens, the effect of the Neighbors treatment is impressive.

Gerber, Green, and Larimer 2008: Social Pressure and Voter Turnout: Evidence from a Large-Scale Field Experiment

A few days after he had wheeled the last of the letters to the post office, Grebner learned that he and his collaborators had all dramatically underestimated their ability to alienate voters. Grebner had suspected voters might not take well to the bullying tone of the neighbors letter, and the academics had reason to concur. ... Grebner was never able to calculate how many people took the trouble to complain by phone, because his office answering machine filled so quickly that new callers were unable to leave messages. (When he tried, unscientifically, to match complainants to particular mailings, it looked as though those who got the neighbors letter were angriest.)

Grebner found more satisfaction when he learned... that Nolan Finley of Livonia... the editorial-page editor of the conservative Detroit News .... communicated his outrage at having his personal vote history - which showed his dutiful turnout for general elections every two years but poor participation in primaries - made public to those around him. "It turns out for all of Nolan having written probably a thousand editorials telling people to vote against every millage and vote against these candidates for judge, he actually hadn't voted in a primary himself in twelve years, because he's too ****ing lazy," said Grebner. ... A few months later, Grebner smiled when he saw that Finley had cast his first primary ballot since 1992.

The Victory Lab by Sasha Issenberg

Fun fact: roughly 10% of the population regularly claims to have voted when they did not, in fact, vote.

- There are two pretty foolproof ways to minimize campaigns contacting you: Don't register to vote, or register and vote very consistently, in every election, always in the same party primary, so that campaigns know how you're voting (presumably for the party you registered for) and that you are voting and don't have to waste time on you.

love, your friendly neighborhood campaign junkie

p.s. this really has nothing to do with the internet - it was done before the internet, and should the internet disappear tomorrow, dedicated campaign workers would trek down to City Hall and do all this by hand. I know many, many campaign vets who did that for decades. Back in the day, rather than having every voter as an entry in a database, there was an honest-to-god index card for each voter that someone had handwritten their voting record and contact info on. They've been doing this for as long as organized elections have been around. It's not new.

p.p.s. if you don't believe in straight-ticket voting, please read The Semisovereign People by E.E. Schattschneider

p.p.p.s. A fun thing to do is to look up your friends' voting records whenever they start to complain about politics, then make them shut up if they haven't voted. lol.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1415041874|3776850 said:
- There are two pretty foolproof ways to minimize campaigns contacting you: Don't register to vote, or register and vote very consistently, in every election, always in the same party primary, so that campaigns know how you're voting (presumably for the party you registered for) and that you are voting and don't have to waste time on you.

ALSO, please don't be a jerk to the volunteer who is calling you. PLEASE. If you know it's a political call, answer with who you're voting for and when you're voting (or if you're not voting). My answer during election season is "Straight-ticket democrat, not donating, don't want a yard sign, voting on X day, thanks for calling." That's the information they want. You have just given them everything they need to mark down on their sheet. If you don't answer, or answer and then hang up without getting the info, you've just been marked as a "Call Again."

Now THAT is news - er - advice we can use! Thank you!

distracts|1415041874|3776850 said:
p.p.p.s. A fun thing to do is to look up your friends' voting records whenever they start to complain about politics, then make them shut up if they haven't voted. lol.

:devil:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
It's called voter-shaming and it's not something that I care to engage in, so I have no interest in using a search tool to see who votes & who doesn't. Quite frankly, it's none of my business if my friends and/or family votes or not.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It is annoying & feels extraordinarily creepy but as long as they don't know HOW you voted, it's legal & common. Makes no impression on me -- I let phone calls go to voicemail & zap them later. We rarely get live calls, only robo- ones & I hate them. I'm sorry to hear this stuff works, because it's so irritating.

--- Laurie

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
By the way, I'll stop being a jerk to the volunteer calling me when they stop being jerks by calling me on a lovely Saturday morning…. I owe them nothing and I'm certainly not going to provide them with any information. I answer, listen for a VERY brief moment, say "remove my name from your list", and hang up the phone. If they put me on a call back list and call back, I've already got their caller ID and just don't answer the phone next time.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts, thank you very much for the very lengthy and informative post. I really appreciate it! For the record, we get mostly robo calls as well, but I will file away the info on real callers, for future reference ---> Because the madness has ceased as of about 2 hours ago when we got the last call, I think. :lol: :appl:

I still may call the outfit that sent me my "report card", wiill let you all know how that goes if I do. ::)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1415031613|3776771 said:

Are they that stupid to think people really vote based on that garbage??? That's the scary part.Anyway, I find your mailing annoying, absolutely. I could have received one but honestly I throw them in the trash before I read them.
It is scary, but from previous comments in here, apparently it does work..... :-o

And you sound like me hitting the talk and end buttons. I've been doing the same thing. :lol: This election seems worse than anything I can remember for calls AND flyers. SO obnoxious. Just a little over 24 hours left....

Good to see you friend! :wavey:

:wavey: You, too, Ellen!!!

Thankfully this day is over. YAY!!!!

Just wanted to clarify about my comment above which was about them being stupid to think mailings and phone calls change HOW people vote. I wasn't referring to the type of mailing Ellen got. I guess Distracts has the stats on all of that.

All I know is that in my state, over 100 MILLION DOLLARS was spent on the US Senate race alone. I find that absolutely disgusting. :angryfire:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results