AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Deb and all! I look forward to this thread every year (this and the slow cooker thread until my heavy ceramic insert for my slow cooker cracked in the middle of cooking pot roast the other day :(sad ). Anyway, right now I'm thinking of you, Deb, as I have the TJs Pumpkin bread mix in the oven right now. You said it was forgiving and we'll see just how much! I added apple sauce, non-fat yogurt, some whole wheat flour, and extra cinnamon. It certainly smells good right now.

I also had a friend visiting from Austria a few weeks back who was fascinated with the concept of Thanksgiving, so I've already made a thanksgiving dinner complete with pumpkin pie from scratch (including roasting the sugar pie pumpkins and I don't even like pumpkin pie and it was delish!) Now I'm ready for the next one! :bigsmile:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi mb!

Ok Deb, I made the first of my picks yesterday and took it to church for our SS class. There is always someone bringing baked goods, many times the wife of our teacher, for whoever is having a bday, or, just because we all like sweets. :bigsmile: So I figure this is a good place to try new things. It got great reviews, 2/3rds was eaten, which doesn't happen often, and my teachers wife wants the recipe. My friend said the only way to improve on it was to put (another) layer of topping in the middle of the cake. lol But if one were to do that (and I am certain it would be delicious) it would wipe out any and all claims to this being a somewhat healthy breakfast cake.

I didn't have any til I got home, and here are my thoughts. It's not as good as I thought it would be, or wanted it to be. With 2 Tbsp. of pumpkin pie spice in it, I thought it would be, spicier. It has an alright flavor, certainly you can taste pumpkin. It is rather dense, and a hair on the drier side, and I was certain not to overcook it. Topping was good, but could certainly use nuts to its advantage.

So, there you have it. A success among my peers, I would not make it again. lol! It really IS a matter of taste. So, you will just have to make it yourself and see, unless I said something that lets you know now you want nothing to do with it. ::)

http://www.theredheadbaker.com/pumpkin-breakfast-cake/

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
I Would like to thank dawnxcui for posting her star brad, made it this morning for a block party and it was gone in a few minutes!
Did not have nutella in the house but date filling worked Thank You :clap:

img_5957.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lulie|1414973787|3776541 said:
I Would like to thank dawnxcui for posting her star brad, made it this morning for a block party and it was gone in a few minutes!

I totally LOVE how everyone takes recipes and improvises! :appl: :appl:

ETA: Thanks for the update, Ellen!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

looks 10 times better than mine!!!
glad u (your party) enjoyed it! :appl: :appl: :appl:

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
dawnxcui and Lulie, those star bread pictures look amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Did you have any trouble with the bread? If any alterations, any tips? I read the comments on the linked recipe and noticed some suggested alterations. I've only done non active yeast bread recipes so far so I might try this one.

TooPatient, your festive holiday challah sounds fantastic.

Thanks.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is just picture perfect, truly. Well done. :appl:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1414870539|3776078 said:
Hey Deb and all! I look forward to this thread every year (this and the slow cooker thread until my heavy ceramic insert for my slow cooker cracked in the middle of cooking pot roast the other day :(sad ). Anyway, right now I'm thinking of you, Deb, as I have the TJs Pumpkin bread mix in the oven right now. You said it was forgiving and we'll see just how much! I added apple sauce, non-fat yogurt, some whole wheat flour, and extra cinnamon. It certainly smells good right now.

I also had a friend visiting from Austria a few weeks back who was fascinated with the concept of Thanksgiving, so I've already made a thanksgiving dinner complete with pumpkin pie from scratch (including roasting the sugar pie pumpkins and I don't even like pumpkin pie and it was delish!) Now I'm ready for the next one! :bigsmile:

I am hoping that you will report back on the results you got, minousbijoux! I haven't done any baking yet this year, but am glued to this thread!

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1414968581|3776524 said:
Hi mb!

I didn't have any til I got home, and here are my thoughts. It's not as good as I thought it would be, or wanted it to be. With 2 Tbsp. of pumpkin pie spice in it, I thought it would be, spicier. It has an alright flavor, certainly you can taste pumpkin. It is rather dense, and a hair on the drier side, and I was certain not to overcook it. Topping was good, but could certainly use nuts to its advantage.

So, there you have it. A success among my peers, I would not make it again. lol! It really IS a matter of taste. So, you will just have to make it yourself and see, unless I said something that lets you know now you want nothing to do with it. ::)

Thank you for the thorough report, Ellen! You should be a food reviewer! You really covered all the bases!!! I get the feeling that I could please a crowd with that cake but that it wouldn't be the best cake I could make. Since I have you running the test kitchen for me, I can just sit back and await the results...and may the best pumpkin crumb cake (or coffee cake) win! (I think I might like an unhealthy pumpkin/crumb or steusel topped cheesecake!)

Deb ;))

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your kinds comments! dawnxcui the braided version looks yummy and much easier IMHO. Mine did not have a star it was more like a sun because I chose NOT to use a cup in the center....next time I will :snooty:

sweet_blossom|1415028490|3776760 said:
dawnxcui and Lulie, those star bread pictures look amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Did you have any trouble with the bread? If any alterations, any tips? I read the comments on the linked recipe and noticed some suggested alterations. I've only done non active yeast bread recipes so far so I might try this one.

TooPatient, your festive holiday challah sounds fantastic.

Thanks.

To be honest, I altered the recipe quite a bit...... It was quite cold that morning, I knew it will take much longer to rise. If there's any interest I'll post it. Turns out that it is actually called BlumenbrOT not 'Star-brAD' as DH said :silenced: :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPfynIBvOLY @4:50 she rolls dough same size to avoid trimming part, I left 1/2 inch w/o filling to fold ends neatly. I actually learned to brush breads with egg yolk/water mixture from a gal on this site, a must for challah :read: according to Mr. Lulu. :wavey:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1415043695|3776869 said:
Ellen|1414968581|3776524 said:
Hi mb!

Thank you for the thorough report, Ellen! You should be a food reviewer! You really covered all the bases!!! I get the feeling that I could please a crowd with that cake but that it wouldn't be the best cake I could make. Since I have you running the test kitchen for me, I can just sit back and await the results...and may the best pumpkin crumb cake (or coffee cake) win! (I think I might like an unhealthy pumpkin/crumb or steusel topped cheesecake!)

Deb ;))
:lol: Thank you for the kind comment. ;))

I think your conclusion about the cake is spot on. I'll move on to the next and we will see. And you got me thinking about that cheesecake... I make cheesecakes so that part doesn't scare me. Will do some research on this and get back to you. :lickout:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, so much to say! Ellen: I agree with Deb - you'd make a great food reviewer and in the meantime, you already are a great recipe tester/reporter. Dawnxcui and Lulie: those are knockdown gorgeous. If I made them, I'm not sure I'd actually let anyone touch it, but instead want everyone to just appreciate its appearance! Anyway, you both impress me and Lulie, your ability to go with the flow and replace with date paste is admirable. Hmm, wonder if I could make one with almond paste instead of Nutella...

Deb: the pumpkin bread was excellent and was gone by the end of the day, and much better than the pumpkin bread I make from scratch, lol. Even with my additions, it was too sweet for me (though would be an excellent dessert for me with a cold glass of milk, yum), but my boys and ex-husband had no problem polishing it off! I think in the future, I'll try egg whites instead of whole eggs, buttermilk/yogurt instead of some of the oil, and more whole wheat flour. I am such a convert that I went back to TJs looking for the mix but it was gone (I hope only temporary)! Deb: look what you've done to me! :bigsmile:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you mb! ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results