shape
carat
color
clarity

blue to pink spinel color change...........

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought a spinel from Dana that was listed as grey-pink from SE Asia a while ago. I see the unusual pink-orange color he described under fluorescent and incandescent light and a dominant lavender-blue in direct and indirect sunlight. So here's the question..........I assumed I would see more grey/dilution and the blue/purple was not mentioned at all. I think the colors that I see are variations of a blue to pink color change with a tint of orange on the pink side. Anyone else see this in their spinels? I know they can shift/change all over the place........but I'm not seeing the grey in any light source unless lavender is considered grey because it is no longer a blue or purple stone? Is that possible? Devil's in the details...... I do not have photo's of this lil' monster.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless the colouration of your spinel is super hot to hot (eye popping in intensity), there is gray to the spinel. Gray isn't a hue in itself. It is related to tone (graduation of white to black) and saturation (warm stones show brown, cool stones show gray).

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree, Chrono.........therein lies the issue. It may be nomenclature because with grey, silver or titanium spinels being advertised like any other color, it is hard to distinguish what is a mask and what is the base color from a 'grey' description, unless the vendor states it has a grey mask. In this case, I thought the spinel was a 'grey spinel' ...............but it is not. :think:

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
If you're looking for a gray spinel, I just had to send one back to Dana (our A/C died a few days after I ordered it) but it's a lovely gem, well-cut, reasonably priced and definitely gray.

It's this one (photo attached below).

ETA: It has a lovely lavender glow in sunlight - I tried to take a few pics but they didn't photograph like what I saw.

30797.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Alexah........ Did it shift any other direction than grey/lavender? I like the gem I have as it is set in a ring now; I was just surprised at the difference in color's (the intense lavender outdoors) from what Dana wrote as simply grey pink. He did describe the orange with the pink, though and it is there!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
digdeep|1414771409|3775462 said:
I bought a spinel from Dana that was listed as grey-pink from SE Asia a while ago. I see the unusual pink-orange color he described under fluorescent and incandescent light and a dominant lavender-blue in direct and indirect sunlight. So here's the question..........I assumed I would see more grey/dilution and the blue/purple was not mentioned at all. I think the colors that I see are variations of a blue to pink color change with a tint of orange on the pink side. Anyone else see this in their spinels? I know they can shift/change all over the place........but I'm not seeing the grey in any light source unless lavender is considered grey because it is no longer a blue or purple stone? Is that possible? Devil's in the details...... I do not have photo's of this lil' monster.

is lavender really "grey" blue/purple???

Some lavender Luc Yen are nicely saturated - not grey to my eye....- so I think your stone is what you see - and I want to see.

i remember a fine ceylon spinel with a strong shift from blue to pink ( here a bit greyish!) - they are awesome...

Chrome is responsible for the change and maybe a tiny amount of Vanadium for the orange hint. Otherwise Fe2+ and extremely tiny amounts of Cobalt.

Please post pictures.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm going to give the camera another try for pic's, over the weekend when it's not so cloudy AND I can find a camera that does the 'right' thing.............I'm sure it's not me that's causing the problems!!
I will try Marlow, and thanks for the info. I realize it would be most helpful if people could actually see what I'm talking about.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
digdeep|1414788412|3775639 said:
Thanks Alexah........ Did it shift any other direction than grey/lavender? I like the gem I have as it is set in a ring now; I was just surprised at the difference in color's (the intense lavender outdoors) from what Dana wrote as simply grey pink. He did describe the orange with the pink, though and it is there!

No, sorry, it was just steely gray or lavender to my eyes. I can post two pics (only if you like) - one indoor, one out - but the color on my monitor isn't quite what I saw IRL... close enough though.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the offer, Alexah........... I'll wrestle with photographing this guy. If I can get that done I'll be happy to get feedback........

rreynolds2014

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello Everyone ,
I would like to introduce myself to you. I am Rachelle Reynolds of Master Cut Gems. Dana Reynolds is my husband. :wavey:

I have been working with Dana for the last year trying to learn the business. 20 years ago, I worked the retail side in high end jewelry stores, and later changed careers. Now I am back, and slowly learning the business again.

I find this topic so interesting..... Dana and I have had so many discussions about color and what each of our eyes are " seeing " in the particular gemstones. I actually think that men and women see color differently. Dana's friend, Grey the Pediatric Eye Surgeon has also viewed colors the same as Dana and we have discussed this topic before.

I would like your opinions, as Dana respects the comments of this group and he suggested that I seek the aid of the respected members of this Forum. To help me in my quest for further knowledge in color identification and photography skills in dealing with colored stones.

Digdeep, There have been instances when Dana views gray and I view lavender. :think:

So would you say that men and women see color differently?

Most respectfully,

Rachelle

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I would like to see a pic of the stone we are talking about....

Your question is very interesting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rreynolds2014|1414852550|3775962 said:
Hello Everyone ,
I would like to introduce myself to you. I am Rachelle Reynolds of Master Cut Gems. Dana Reynolds is my husband. :wavey:

I have been working with Dana for the last year trying to learn the business. 20 years ago, I worked the retail side in high end jewelry stores, and later changed careers. Now I am back, and slowly learning the business again.

I find this topic so interesting..... Dana and I have had so many discussions about color and what each of our eyes are " seeing " in the particular gemstones. I actually think that men and women see color differently. Dana's friend, Grey the Pediatric Eye Surgeon has also viewed colors the same as Dana and we have discussed this topic before.

I would like your opinions, as Dana respects the comments of this group and he suggested that I seek the aid of the respected members of this Forum. To help me in my quest for further knowledge in color identification and photography skills in dealing with colored stones.

Digdeep, There have been instances when Dana views gray and I view lavender. :think:

Most respectfully,

Rachelle

In my experience, I have found that people more readily "see the grey" once they better understand what hue, saturation and tone is. I think Chrono explained it very well in her post in this thread. I will also say that "eyesight" for color becomes better once people visit various gem shows and see what exceptional color is. It tends to "ruin" gems for some people actually, who once previously loved what they had.

That's not to say there's no scientific evidence behind how men, women, or one individual from the next, perceives color, both having the same gem education, but I find, often more than not, "seeing the grey (or the brown)" is something that is learned. For example, I never saw grey or brown modifiers in gems when I first bought them, and now these "learner" stones" are relegated to a dark box, as my eye for color has improved.

This is why I often post top color gems, and tell people, "go see lots of examples in person at gem shows." That is a great education for the consumer in the colored gem market. Of course, not everyone can afford top color, but if you can understand what it is for a particular hue, it allows for more educated decisions for your money.

For example, here's a lovely blue sapphire. I would have said, "no grey" in this stone several years ago, but now I would say its there. That's not to say it's not beautiful either, but you need to understand saturation.

s2.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello Everyone ,

Most respectfully,

Rachelle

Hi Rachelle...........you may have hit the nail on the head! And I wouldn't doubt that there could be a difference such as you mentioned between you and Dana on grey or lavender stones. (I'm not talking about the more subtle grey mask.......) I hope neither you nor Dana are concerned about this question as that is NOT my intent. This stone has shown quite a few personalities to date........... I'm working on photo's but I'm stuck in fog right now. They will come up as soon as I can get them done...........in a color quirk, I'm now in the 'grey' season for weather..........LOL!!!

rreynolds2014

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello digdeep! :wavey:

It is so refreshing to see that someone else views gemstone color like I do. Within the past week, Dana and I had a discussion about a silver toned spinel he cut for a client. He viewed gray and I saw lavender.
So when your post came up , I actually laughed and felt compelled to chime it. :wink2:

Dana and I have had many discussions in the office regarding color, tones, color modifiers and more.
Thank you for the topic. There is so much to learn and I find it all so enjoyable!

RR

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I guess we are members of the GIRL (Grey Is Really Lavender) club.............. :angel:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Everyone ,

Most respectfully,

Rachelle

Hello Rachelle! I would like to say that I am glad to meet you on this forum. I have bought gemstones from your husband and he is a complete gentleman. As for your question do men and women see color differently I would say no, at least in my experience. For example my hubby and I are involved in planning our DD's wedding. When looking at greyish/plum colored tablecloths we both agreed that the color to our eyes was "grey". We tend to agree on colors in general. Hope that helps.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK.........I took a chance on a brief amount of cloudy brightness and took a photo outdoors.......indirect and not as bright as it would have been had I had actual sunshine, but it was an attempt at capturing the outdoor color(s). I have an incandescent light (much easier to take a photo with a switch I can turn on and off!!) and so I have the start of two colors showing on this gem, IMO. I've never downloaded photo's on here and am ignorant with most things technology. Does anyone have a link to the "downloading photo's for dummies section"??? I attempted to put the photo's on without that link and didn't succeed! I do know how to email photo's and could work that route, but not sure who could put them on that way either -- Suggestions are welcome!! Thanks!!! :wall:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is indoor incandescent light...........having TROUBLE getting the outdoor light photo to load. ARGH 2014-11-02_001_2014-11-02_001.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry folks......I know the last picture was big, and I cannot load the other one. GRRR......I'll wait for help. At least you can see one side of the story! :angryfire:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
The size of that photo is fine. However there is a size limit for photos uploaded to PS and I find that if you make sure your photo is no wider than 650px and saved as a .jpg or .png it should be fine. That means you'll probably have to resize larger ones if taken straight from a humungous camera shot. Hope that helps.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK.....based on what Starzin said here's another try on the second color. YAY! It came through....... Now I understand when everyone says the camera takes something different than what the eye sees in real life. But this gives a general contrast in colors. The lavender becomes nearly neon on bright days. This is the blue side as compared to the pink side in the photo above.....
THANKS Starzin!!

spinel__578x640_.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it worked! :dance: How accurate is your picture compared to the stone? If it is as shown on my monitor, there is a definitely a gray modifier but at the same time, it is also clearly lavender. Even my own colour change spinel has some gray to my eye.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
:bigsmile: Well done! I'm pleased the hint helped. I'd also agree with Chrono that it's a pretty lavender stone which also has a grey modifier.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono and Starzin, and I agree with you both!! Yes, it has a grey modifier............. The photo's are as accurate as I could get. I think it's a good starting point on the two colors and change(s) I see IRL. I didn't modify the colors on the camera/computer and it wasn't a sunny day, so the thing that is missing is some of the POP!.......esp. the lavender side which brightens up considerably.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Follow up: I've learned a valuable lesson. In my house when I'm looking at my gems....it's easy to lose the big picture and 'get stuck' on what I see. Always a good idea to pursue other people's thoughts here..............Thx!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
No problems. As long as you have something you love then that's all that matters and a pretty pastel colour change IS special. If you get an opportunity to take a photo in sunlight to show us that neon, that would be great too!

Hello Everyone ,
Welcome to PS Rachelle :wavey: Lovely to have you here and yes, you'll get lots of opinions :lol: Do join in the conversations whenever you can.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm walking on sunshine.........do dah, walking on sunshine.......do dah, and don't it feel good! :whistle:

I finally have some bright light to hopefully do more justice for this stone............. 2014-11-06_001_2014-11-06_007.jpg

Indoor incandescent......for comparison...........

2014-11-02_001_2014-11-02_001.jpg

I Love spinels........the dispersion is amazing which is the WOW factor in any light.........and impossible for me to capture. Just imagine lots of shooting stars in each photo....LOL!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweet looking spinel!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that lavender, DD. And that is a significant color shift! Looks beautiful - and I love those sparks too, squeeeeeee!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is beautiful. I would call that a color changer. I know that red and purple are close to each other on the color chart, but the change is more like orange/pink to blue/purple. That is fantastic!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results