shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favorite pearl size for Akoya?

What is your favorite pearl size for Akoya for any occasion?

• Smaller than 6mm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6.0mm-6.5mm

• 6.5mm-7.0mm

• 7.0mm-7.5mm

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 7.5mm-8.0mm

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 8.0mm-8.5mm

• 8.5mm-9.0mm

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Larger than 9.0mm

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Other (not akoya- I will explain)

• Total voters

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies,
Please pick your favorite choice (strand) and discuss your view toward akoya pearls vs other types of pearls. :think: Would love to hear your opinion.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My favorite size would be the largest size, assuming it was a short strand rather than a rope. In a rope, I prefer a smaller size, maybe 7-8 mm. However, two issues also figure in. One is price, and the other is that akoya pearls generally have the thinnest nacre layer of the common pearl types, as far as I know. So, I'd probably get a freshwater strand instead. However, that sharp akoya luster is just wonderful, so I'd definitely go for a pair of akoya stud earrings. :)

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
Thank you seaurchin. So for any occasion, you will wear the largest size (9mm or more?) and will opt in for a freshwater strand rather than an akoya strand (16-18 inches). If it is a rope, you will go for the 7-8mm. That sounds very reasonable. Although akoya nacre is very thin, it is still very strong and durable and will take approx 7-8 years in average to wear off (assume aa quality) will daily wear and care. Just like you, I am so in love with the sharp luster of akoya! 8)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are so many things that go into size preference. Some places are flashier than others. Some people are flashier than others too. When I was looking, I initially thought I'd go larger - I had budgeted for 8 - 8.5 minimum, and likely 8.5-9. But when I tried those strands on they were just too big. They didn't look real on me, and didn't suit me. Might be my age, or cultural background, but 7.5-8 just looked classic and real to my eye. Plus, Akoyas get $$$ fast in the larger sizes.

If I were to get a larger sized strand, I'd go freshwater, as everyone here would assume that large pearls were either freshies or fake, anyway. Women don't wear $$$ of jewelry where I live.

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
cmd2014|1414464858|3773680 said:
I think there are so many things that go into size preference. Some places are flashier than others. Some people are flashier than others too. When I was looking, I initially thought I'd go larger - I had budgeted for 8 - 8.5 minimum, and likely 8.5-9. But when I tried those strands on they were just too big. They didn't look real on me, and didn't suit me. Might be my age, or cultural background, but 7.5-8 just looked classic and real to my eye. Plus, Akoyas get $$$ fast in the larger sizes.

If I were to get a larger sized strand, I'd go freshwater, as everyone here would assume that large pearls were either freshies or fake, anyway. Women don't wear $$$ of jewelry where I live.
I agree with you cmd2014. What you wear is somewhat determined by where you live. On the other hand, isn't it true that we wear jewelry for ourselves first? As long as we know our jewelry is real, and makes us happy. That is all that matter, in my opinion. ;))

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
This is a tough one without one simple answer.

For a younger woman, I'd go smaller. But if one is going to want bigger eventually, might as well start with the largest mm one can afford to avoid double buying.

If budget allows, having a variety of pearl types is wonderful.

I wear my freshwater way, way, WAY more than my akoya, but the akoya have a place in my pearl wardrobe.

Older akoya, or hanadama, will have thicker nacre and should last for a very long time with proper care (I wipe all my pearls gently with a wet washcloth each time I take them off to remove oil and salt).

What are you considering?

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
When I was in my 30's I wore a strand of 8.5 - 9.0mm white akoyas daily and thought I had died and gone to heaven when I wore these pearls. At the time they felt huge and they actually were in the 1980's. I can put them on today and still look good. Last year I fell in love with a strand of pistachio akoyas and the largest center pearl is a whopping 10.3mm. I am so happy today with both strands as I was when I first got them. Both very special in their own ways with tons of sentiment attached to each strand.

Knowing how my pearl taste has evolved over the past 30 something years I am so very glad my first strand was such a large mm. I can put them on and know I look appropriate for my age where if it was a 7mm strand it would look juvenile on me and sit in the drawer. I do have a wonderful strand of white metallics that is 8.5 mm and believe it or not a 1/2 mm does make a big difference.

Happy pearl hunting =)

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I find this pearl size thing very interesting. I am very new to pearls, and prior to just a few months ago was not interested in them at all. I viewed them as something that was a bit stuffy and dull (don't hate me! I have LEARNED). I have been trying on a variety of lengths and mm sizes, and find that even though I am on the cusp of 40, and not particularly thin or petite, so by the rules I should be wearing 8mm and over only, I am just not in love with the larger round pearls. They start to look a little Marge Simpson on me...a little staid and/or a little fake...even a little grandmotherly? (not the baroques, big chunky baroques look fantastic to me, just the rounds)

I agree completely with what CMD said about culture/geographic location too. Not a lot of pearl wearing going on around where I live, and a large strand is going to be immediately assumed to be fake anyway.

So I am officially rebelling against this must have larger pearls at a certain age thing. ;-) Ideally I would love to own a variety of mm sizes someday...

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I guess it depends on your personal preference and what you think suits you? I don't own Akoyas, but I can say the first time I wore a pearl strand was when I borrowed my mother's 10-11mm freshwater (white rounds). I was *only* 32, and despite being petite, the size felt just right, not too large. It was for a wedding and I was very formally dressed though. Now at 39 I still like at least 8.5-9.0mm, and I am already sighing when I see those nice, large WSSs...

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I like Akoya from 7 - 8 mm. Imho, smaller sizes tend to have better lustre. It also depends on the length of the strand; I prefer my ropes with smaller sizes.
For larger pearls, I would move up to freshwaters or South Sea.

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
bsomlo,
I am going to own two strands of Japanese Akoya Hanadama and Japanese Akoya Madama (My husband's already bought the Madama as Christmas gift for me this year 2014- I know that much :D) both in the size of 8.5 to 9mm, 18". And I am so excited and want to know the preference of everyone. Although I am in my early 30s right now, I've learnt from you and other sweet ladies in this forum, I opt in for the larger size immediately :naughty: :bigsmile:

Earlier this year in Jun, my husband bought me a pearl rope of 200" (8.5 to 9mm AAA freshwater pearls) as birthday gift for me but decided not to keep it b/c although it is super beautiful, it is too heavy and causes pain and discomfort when worn. It is a pity that I forgot to take the photos for you before sending it back.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I am so excited for you! I can hardly wait for neck shots!!!

When I read about your 200" the first thing that came to my mind was the weight issue -- that's a lot of weight to carry on your neck. I do wish we'd seem some shots of it, though.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
leyhuong - I am so excited for you and can't wait to see your new strands! I have a strand of 8.5 to 9.5 mm natural white Hanadamas and think they are the perfect size for any occassion. I also have smaller mm Vietnamese multi-coloreds that I don't wear as often but I do wear the smaller mm pistachios just because of their color.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
leyhuong|1414514617|3773904 said:
I am going to own two strands of Japanese Akoya Hanadama and Japanese Akoya Madama (My husband's already bought the Madama as Christmas gift for me this year 2014- I know that much :D) both in the size of 8.5 to 9mm, 18".

Lucky, lucky lady!!! I hope you post pics here.

Also, I just wanted to clarify my last post above that I do not think larger round pearls look fake or aging on anyone else! Quite the contrary, I am here drooling over everyone's pictures everyday. :love: Just trying to sort out what my style is, and what works for my lifestyle. I hope that came across properly.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
EvangelineG|1414592731|3774410 said:
Also, I just wanted to clarify my last post above that I do not think larger round pearls look fake or aging on anyone else! Quite the contrary, I am here drooling over everyone's pictures everyday. :love: Just trying to sort out what my style is, and what works for my lifestyle. I hope that came across properly.

I think it came across properly, but it's something to consider. There are lots of subtle little clues that give away age, and if one is job-hunting, age discrimination is alive and well.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I actually agree with you, EvangelineG. My hanadama strand is 9 to 9.5mm and the first thing DH and DD said was that they looked fake. All the better. I find that amusing and feel even more comfortable wearing them (though they are worn very rarely).

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Leyhoung, how lucky! That's really a great size for everyday wear -- I recently got my 8.5-9.0mm strand of white metallics and I love it, size is elegant and substantial!

PS: A 200" rope of 8.5-9.0mms is what I would call extreme pearlification!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1414601752|3774507 said:
I actually agree with you, EvangelineG. My hanadama strand is 9 to 9.5mm and the first thing DH and DD said was that they looked fake. All the better. I find that amusing and feel even more comfortable wearing them (though they are worn very rarely).

When I grow up, I want these to be my *problems*...

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
pkinnew|1414585054|3774360 said:
leyhuong - I am so excited for you and can't wait to see your new strands! I have a strand of 8.5 to 9.5 mm natural white Hanadamas and think they are the perfect size for any occassion. I also have smaller mm Vietnamese multi-coloreds that I don't wear as often but I do wear the smaller mm pistachios just because of their color.
Thank you so much pkinnew :) Me neither. I agree 8.5 to 9 seems to allow us to run far (wearing till we reach 100 I would say :cheeky: ). The smaller pearls might help us to look younger too, sometimes.

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
Tucs|1414603157|3774519 said:
Leyhoung, how lucky! That's really a great size for everyday wear -- I recently got my 8.5-9.0mm strand of white metallics and I love it, size is elegant and substantial!

Yes, i think we can not go wrong with this size 8.5-9mm (young & old). Husband also ordered the Freshhadama 9 to 9.5 mm at the time. Between the two, the freshadama is not in the same league as the rope. My husband still votes for the 8.5 to 9mm 200" rope hands-down because it is extremely beautiful. The weight however is not bearable after 30 minutes. If I have a body of the ex-governor of CA, I might enjoy wearing it :twirl:

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
bsomlo|1414601752|3774507 said:
bsomlo,
I've seen your gorgeous strand of hanadama before. Such a breathtaking piece!
Regarding the fake pearls. Last weekend, I was at the mall. And I have to say, they have a few good pieces that look very real. The fake stones, some of them are cut to show arrows too, making the way they reflect lights quite like the way diamonds do. Hm... Is that a concern?
I, however, disagree on one thing. You have to wear them, wear more often. Life is too short and if you have them, wear them, don't put them away like my mother put away the most beautiful dishes for special occasions. I, on the other hand, use only the most beautiful dishes and bowls every day. Who knows what will happen tomorrow? :dance:

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
ennui|1414601414|3774506 said:
EvangelineG|1414592731|3774410 said:

I think it came across properly, but it's something to consider. There are lots of subtle little clues that give away age, and if one is job-hunting, age discrimination is alive and well.

Yes. EvangelineG. It came across properly just like ennui said it. We all have priorities and preference. Sometimes, what doesn't work for us may look magnificent on another woman and vice versa. So, I will say go for what we love and don't be afraid to express your opinion. We all understand why we love seeing pearls/jewelries on others so much :appl:

ennui, the points you make are so valid. I have been a victim of age discrimination now and again. I think the easiest way to tell our age is to look at the neck area and the hands. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with age because age has the 'aurora' (pearl word :cheeky: ) of wisdom, experience, understanding, forgiving and taste. :clap:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
leyhuong|1414790557|3775655 said:

Yes, i think we can not go wrong with this size 8.5-9mm (young & old). Husband also ordered the Freshhadama 9 to 9.5 mm at the time. Between the two, the freshadama is not in the same league as the rope. My husband still votes for the 8.5 to 9mm 200" rope hands-down because it is extremely beautiful. The weight however is not bearable after 30 minutes. If I have a body of the ex-governor of CA, I might enjoy wearing it :twirl:

Do you mean that you liked the AAA rope better, or the Freshadamas? I can see both ways, as smaller pearls can sometimes have better luster, or I can see the Freshadamas being nicer than the AAA's. (inquiring minds and all...I've been curious about how AAA freshwaters hold up to the Freshadamas, as I've been trying to decide between them for a strand).

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
cmd2014|1414791788|3775671 said:
leyhuong|1414790557|3775655 said:

Do you mean that you liked the AAA rope better, or the Freshadamas? I can see both ways, as smaller pearls can sometimes have better luster, or I can see the Freshadamas being nicer than the AAA's. (inquiring minds and all...I've been curious about how AAA freshwaters hold up to the Freshadamas, as I've been trying to decide between them for a strand).
I mean the freshadama can't be compared to the rope. Of course the rope will be at least 10 times more beautiful (in my eyes). Regarding the roundness, AAA freshwaters are off round, very nice luster though. Freshadama pearls are off round in most case with close inspection. I guess, there is nothing wrong with that considering the fact that they are freshwater pearls. On a pearl by pearl comparison basis, the freshadama is nicer. If '10' was the score I would give to freshadama, the AAA pearls would receive an '8'.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results