shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy simulant stones for travel ER or Studs ?

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Quick question
Would you wear a diamond simulant on an overseas trip instead of wearing your diamonds? My ER is insured but I have reservations
about wearing it to travel. Same goes for my studs. They are not insured yet. If so what simulant would be the best choice? I feel naked without my ER . Thanks!

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I know this has been discussed a lot....but I suppose it depends on why you don't want to wear your pieces.

I typically don't want to draw attention to myself via jewelry on certain trips so I wear simple things - not fake replicas. Big CZs would defeat the purpose.
Otherwise I wear with insurance.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear sims when traveling. There have been multiple threads discussing attracting unwanted attention with sims but I wear them because I don't want the hassle of filing claims in case of loss especially when traveling overseas. Just this past June, I lost a sim stud in the airport. Went in to change tops during a layover and the earring disappeared. Most of my sims are from qvc.com and hsn.com.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
bbziggy|1414692659|3775068 said:
Quick question
Would you wear a diamond simulant on an overseas trip instead of wearing your diamonds? My ER is insured but I have reservations
about wearing it to travel. Same goes for my studs. They are not insured yet. If so what simulant would be the best choice? I feel naked without my ER . Thanks!
Depends on where I am going and what I am doing. On my honeymoon I bought and wore a fake (as did my sister in law for her recent honeymoon), I didn't want to risk losing anything or damaging anything, esp since we were going on a hike in volcano park. It wasn't worth it. My wedding band had been sent back for repairs right after the ceremony so it wasn't that big of a deal. But when we went on our last trip to Hawaii last July, I brought my rings and wore them as I normally would (or wouldn't...) since we were staying in a private home vs a hotel.

When I go visit family or friends, normally I bring them and have no concerns out of my normal ones.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We sell a lot of "travel jewelry" both for trips abroad and trips within the states. I have never personally worn any, but many of my clients do.

Wink

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't. We were recently in Aruba and I kept my ring at home, don't want to draw any unwanted attention!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't bother buying travel jewelry. If I really didn't feel safe wearing my engagement ring, I'd probably leave it at home and wear a simple band.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1414700764|3775128 said:
I wouldn't bother buying travel jewelry. If I really didn't feel safe wearing my engagement ring, I'd probably leave it at home and wear a simple band.
Agreed. CZs kinda defeat the purpose if you are worried about a mugging. I would not wear my ering *anywhere* if I didn't have insurance.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1414701388|3775132 said:
Zoe|1414700764|3775128 said:
Agreed. CZs kinda defeat the purpose if you are worried about a mugging. I would not wear my ering *anywhere* if I didn't have insurance.

+2 to this

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
What about a simple band for travel? Still look taken, but not really attention grabbing.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Get some paste. And size depends on where you're going and what you're comfortable with.
You're not on your regular schedule when traveling, so it's very, very easy to lose things. My ex-husband lost a favorite watch on a cruise once. We never did figure out what happened to it. I had a co-worker who lost three wedding rings on his honeymoon. My mother took off a teeny diamond necklace my dad got her when they were juniors in high school in a hotel room once and wrapped it in a tissue. She got sidetracked before she could put it in her purse and later threw the tissue away. And my mother is not a forgetful or ditzy person.
It just gives you one less thing to worry about.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I haven't traveled anywhere where I wouldn't wear my jewelry, so no, I don't feel the need for "travel" pieces. I could understand certain situations in which flashy jewelry might not be appropriate, but then in those cases, I wouldn't want fake pieces either (you'd be getting the same sort of unwanted attention - real or fake). I guess that I wouldn't worry about looking "taken" on a trip, so I don't see what the big deal is - if Im vacationing, I'm vacationing with DH, so if I look "taken" it's because I'm with a guy…. :lol:

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
I love all of the responses so thanks!! I might just leave my good stuff home. My original gold band won't even fit on my finger since my knuckle has gotten larger with time. Maybe it will just look like I'm with some boyfriend on vacation like old times haha! We will actually be celebrating our 30th anniversary on this vacation :angel:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CZs will make you just as much as a crime target as real diamonds will.

What good is keeping your real diamonds safe at home if you are mugged, or killed for your CZs?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
When I travel If I'm going somewhere rougher, I usually wear my smaller diamond pieces (eg. my 0.36ct 1/2 channel set band, 0.25ctw studs) and leave my fancier bling at home. Smaller diamond pieces are quite affordable, especially on the estate market, and are easily replaceable so I see no reason not to rock modest bling anywhere.

Diamond is the most durable. I'm far more worried about chipping or scratching a cz than the possibility of loosing a genuine tiny piece.

LPT (life pro tip) - Only bring small comfortable jewellery on vacation and just never take it off.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1414707259|3775172 said:
CZs will make you just as much as a crime target as real diamonds will.

What good is keeping your real diamonds safe at home if you are mugged, or killed for your CZs?
Yup!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before kids we travelled internationally a lot - depends where you are going. Some parts of the world I'd wear my jewellery, other parts CZs would be O.K (I don't wear them but there are areas where I think that would be fine) and other places where I would not wear anything that would draw attention to myself to get robbed or mugged.

I personally wear a simple band in places where larger diamonds would be over the top.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
bbziggy|1414706774|3775168 said:
I love all of the responses so thanks!! I might just leave my good stuff home. My original gold band won't even fit on my finger since my knuckle has gotten larger with time. Maybe it will just look like I'm with some boyfriend on vacation like old times haha! We will actually be celebrating our 30th anniversary on this vacation :angel:

Happy anniversary!!!
We should celebrate them more I think! Much more of an accomplishment that throwing a wedding.
I love the idea of no rings - and if the mood strikes buy a momento for your left ring finger.
Seriously - Congratulations! :appl:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wear pearls instead? I turn to pearls when I want something real, but something not too expensive. I've traveled with a fake ring before. It wasn't satisfying. I prefer a band that is not sentimental. I'm not comfortable going without anything because I need to feel a ring on that finger. ;))

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
Instead of travel jewelry I have, "I don't want to ruin my good diamond jewelry, jewelry". Totally not satisfying, but better than ruining "Precious". :pray:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me it really depends on where I was going. If i'm camping, or something rustic, I just bring my wedding band and some fun earrings to wear (even if I'm vacation I still like wearing something :dance: ). Same thing if going to a developing world where the price of one ring would be incentive to rob someone.
This past year we went to Atlantis in the Bahamas, and I brought my real stuff, because it felt safe there, there were times we dressed up and my jewelry wasn't so big I would think I'd be a targe.

I can imagine getting replicas or fun flashy jewelry in an in-between situation like cruise, where I want to get dressed up, but don't want to worry about losing my jewelry, or multiple location changes, or no safe place to store things. I'm more afraid of losing jewelry from my own bone-headedness han getting mugged.
I've also had jewelry stolen from my suitcase. On the way back from vacation I put a jewelry case in a carry on bag, and then at the last minute checked it, forgetting that I put my jewelry in that bag. When I went to unpack, it was missing.
It was mostly inexpensive items with 1 fine jewelry piece in there, (the rest of the nice stuff I was wearing) but it was still a bummer.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear CZ's for studs. I lose earrings all the time. For some reason it has never bothered me that they aren't real. I'm guessing because once they are in I can't see them. I wouldn't want a cz for a ring or a bracelet.

If I'm traveling someplace I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing my diamond ring, I'd wear a band with small diamonds. My safety is always more inportant than wearing a diamond to me. It certainly won't kill me to put them in the safety deposit box for a week or two.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
If I'm travelling overseas where safety and unwanted attention are the main concerns, I only take/wear a plainer band.

If I'm travelling and the trip entails a lot of putting on/taking off, or things out of my normal routine, I wear a big fake. In those instances, I'm concerned about loss or theft from a hotel room rather than personal safety (for example, a cruise where I want something to wear while on the ship but leave behind during days in port, an upcoming trip to Hawaii I have planned where I know I'll be spending lots of time in the water but still want something to wear in the evenings, etc).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear sim studs - like Callie, I don't have a problem with wearing them. I wouldn't wear a cz ring though. I went on a business trip with my husband to Shanghai this past summer and had to attend several formal functions and I just really wanted to wear my wedding set and didn't have any problems. I was always in a group and just did a little sightseeing so I really wasn't worried about safety and it worked out fine. In hindsight I could have worn cz earrings, they're such a basic design that I think people just tend to think they're real - and it's easy to lose an earring. If I was going someplace where I'd be doing a lot of outdoor activities or going to a place where it was risky to wear expensive jewelry I'd wear a plain band. It really depends on where I'm going and what I'll be doing there.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My rings are not that flashy, but together they are a little blingy, so when I travel I just wear my 5 stone, its only.75ct and still gives me sparkles without being too showy ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If within the US, I will wear very small plain items. If outside of the US, more often than not, I do not wear any jewellery at all (not even plain gold items).

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Normally, I am not as worried as most people are I guess and feel that my jewelry is the safest with me unless in the bank safe which is not so close to home so if I go anywhere I take my jewelry and I am also used to carrying jewelry because of what I do. I am also used to paying very close attention to it. What I wear depends, most the time I will wear just about anything out publicly but if I am taking public transport or a train that is a bit different, then I will go simple. I still only want to wear real jewelry, if it comes to worrying then it will just be one or two simpler pieces with not so large stones. I would rather wear nothing than CZ. It does defeat the purpose and I feel crappy about wearing fakes. Without jewelry I feel naked so I always wear a ring and either studs or a necklace. Since we have also talked about positive energy attached to pieces of jewelry, I would almost consider it bad luck not to wear any. I only lost one tiny diamond once when I was unexpectedly admitted to the hospital, dropped my watch, a stone fell out and after wrapping it in tissue I threw it away. I have to admit that I never go camping, on hiking trips, etc. though, so nothing rough and outdoorsy. For that I would leave the jewelry in the safe and go without. The hardest thing is the beach and having to leave jewelry at a hotel room safe. I have had to do that and nothing happened, again have only had a couple of pieces with me. I would suggest to have the jewelry insured and wear it. Now, if we are talking about 10 carat diamond rings and so on, then definitely do not take them along.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Traveling in the US I take my basic real jewelry that I'd wear all the time. But out of the country I wouldn't want to worry about my good things and would wear a plain wedding band and sterling hoops or something I wouldn't care about losing. Oh, and an inexpensive watch. Our travel really never involves anything formal, so there is no need to take that kind of jewelry, thankfully.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A) GET INSURANCE. No, seriously, call Jeweler's Mutual - they're great about insuring almost immediately, all you need is your receipt or an appraisal.

B) As many have already said ... it depends. I'm a sentimental sap, so I can't bear to be parted from certain things. But when that's the case, I insure them and enjoy them, unless I'm going somewhere sketchy. (That being said, I try not to go anywhere sketchy, not so much because I'm scared of losing my things, but because I would very much prefer not to be hurt in the case of somebody wanting to take them.) My one exception? Water. I used to wear bling to the beach, but never again ... I lost a ruby out of my favorite bracelet in the ocean, and a calibre sapphire out of a deco pendant in a hot tub. D'oh. Now I stick to easy-to-replace bling for those occasions, and for those occasions, I'm fine with sims. I also think they can be tremendously useful as "practice" pieces ... very glad I "invested" $50 in a DBTY instead of dropping a few grand only to discover that the flipping drives me nuts!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1415025553|3776737 said:
A) GET INSURANCE. No, seriously, call Jeweler's Mutual - they're great about insuring almost immediately, all you need is your receipt or an appraisal.

B) As many have already said ... it depends. I'm a sentimental sap, so I can't bear to be parted from certain things. But when that's the case, I insure them and enjoy them, unless I'm going somewhere sketchy. (That being said, I try not to go anywhere sketchy, not so much because I'm scared of losing my things, but because I would very much prefer not to be hurt in the case of somebody wanting to take them.) My one exception? Water. I used to wear bling to the beach, but never again ... I lost a ruby out of my favorite bracelet in the ocean, and a calibre sapphire out of a deco pendant in a hot tub. D'oh. Now I stick to easy-to-replace bling for those occasions, and for those occasions, I'm fine with sims. I also think they can be tremendously useful as "practice" pieces ... very glad I "invested" $50 in a DBTY instead of dropping a few grand only to discover that the flipping drives me nuts!

Circe, I would be concerned that I'd never be able to replace most of jewelery. Do you think a jeweler would be able to copy your antique pieces? I can't imagine finding another ring similar to your ruby and diamind dinner ring. I'm still kicking myself for not purchasing an antique ring I found a few years ago. It was only about $4,000 and I haven't found anything close to it and believe me I have searched. I saw it on a Saturday morning and called on Tuesday to purchase it and it had already sold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results