shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

S

SparkliesLuver

Another John - John D. ;-) All I can say is that I'm glad I asked for updated pictures.

He said "the pictures were taken with fluorescent light and so the colors tend to be a little less bright than under incandescent so this should show you the least attractive look of the gem. The hand pic came out terribly because no light was coming in the front of the gem."

_23623.jpg

_23624.jpg

_23625.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh lucky!! I can't access his site because it seems you need a user account and password :( so thank you for sharing photos!! :D

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Try contacting Frank at FGS gems in Philadelphia, he had a lot of nice Afghan Tourmaline at the last show I was at.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparklieslover, I just wanted to look....not actually in the market for anything right now.. [emoji24] [emoji24] still got a password request, (sad face)..
Attached the screenshot ..

uploadfromtaptalk1414538652817.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michiko,
That's really weird; I do not sign up for anything yet was able to see the stone in the link. Here's the deets:

Blue/Green Tourmaline gemstone
Item number: CTR5852N
Retail price: $5,170.00
Cut info: Flat Faceted
Carats: 4.70 carats
Length x width: 11.0 mm x 8.0 mm
Color: Blue
Shape: Rectangle
AGTA treatment code: N
Logo: Yes
Mohs hardness: 7.0 - 7.5

S

SparkliesLuver

Mochiko, somehow I missed your last post. I'm sorry you got that! That is really weird. Maybe try clearing your cache/cookies or something. Hopefully it was just an odd glitch on his side. Have you tried since?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mentioned to Jeff White about wanting a blue Zircon in trillion cut after getting the Danburite later next year for my flower ring project, and he informed me he still have some blue Zircon roughs available, in case anyone is interested.

DK :))

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks for the inside info, DK. :D I don't doubt that someone will!

S

SparkliesLuver

Update: The vendor who was cutting the montana sapphire finished yesterday. The good: the size is decent (a bit smaller than my ideal), and I love the shape and cut. The bad: there's a visible inclusion. And I'm on the fence about the color. I'm supposed to be getting a video of it sometime today so I hope that helps. I'd really appreciate your honest thoughts, please. Thank you.

I emailed the vendor who is cutting the Afghan tourmaline for an update. I haven't heard back yet. Have I mentioned I hate waiting? haha ;-)

I know when I posted the zircon and tourmaline everyone said tourmaline, but the new Jeff Davies zircon is quite yummy.

:wall: :love: :wall:

_56a3987-1024.jpg

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock
Ooh. If you're not interested, I'd be interested in more information. The cut is right up my alley. It looks a little more light blue in this picture. Personally, I'd want something that tended more blue green, but it's so hard to tell from pictures. And that's a personal preference, I can't remember exactly what color you are looking for.

Visible inclusion? Depends.

Best.

S

SparkliesLuver

kimpnoth said:
Ooh. If you're not interested, I'd be interested in more information. The cut is right up my alley. It looks a little more light blue in this picture. Personally, I'd want something that tended more blue green, but it's so hard to tell from pictures. And that's a personal preference, I can't remember exactly what color you are looking for.

Visible inclusion? Depends.

Best.

The vendor has been so kind and extremely helpful (this is the third stone he's cut), so I wouldn't hesitate to pass along the information once I decide. I love the cut, too. It is a bit more robin's egg blue but he said it does shift to a greenish blue depending on the lighting. I know, it is hard to tell from a picture. There is some light silk but it doesn't bother me, and he said it's less silk-looking in the hand. I might have to see it in person to make any sort of decision. Ideally, I was wanting something a bit more blue-green. He said the inclusion is visible in certain light when you look closely. Not sure how I feel about that.

Thank you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1414757421|3775386 said:
Update: The vendor who was cutting the montana sapphire finished yesterday. The good: the size is decent (a bit smaller than my ideal), and I love the shape and cut. The bad: there's a visible inclusion. And I'm on the fence about the color. I'm supposed to be getting a video of it sometime today so I hope that helps. I'd really appreciate your honest thoughts, please. Thank you.

I emailed the vendor who is cutting the Afghan tourmaline for an update. I haven't heard back yet. Have I mentioned I hate waiting? haha ;-)

I know when I posted the zircon and tourmaline everyone said tourmaline, but the new Jeff Davies zircon is quite yummy.

:wall: :love: :wall:

The sapphire is quite greyish and silky, are you okay with that? Some people really like steely grey gems, but if they're grey and have no sparkle. . . .ehhhhh.

S

SparkliesLuver

TL said:
The sapphire is quite greyish and silky, are you okay with that? Some people really like steely grey gems, but if they're grey and have no sparkle. . . .ehhhhh.

I don't mind some grey, but it looks to have a lot of grey. The silk doesn't bother me that much, especially since he said it's less silk-looking in hand. I know the cut has almost 100 facets so I assume it has some sparkle to it. But yes, I agree, grey + no sparkle = ick. I'm anxiously awaiting the video.

ETA: My decision was going to be between this sapphire and the Afghan tourmaline (but I have to see it cut first). Now I might also add in JD's zircon. I don't know what to do. :loopy:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Regardless of the number of facets, if the stone is too silky, most of the light will not travel through the stone and back out the crown/top of the stone.

S

SparkliesLuver

Preg, he didn't say it was really silky, so I'll go by his word. But I do understand what you're saying.

By the way, I forgot to share: if anyone is interested in seafoam/wintermint tourmaline, let me know. I came across a vendor who has quite a bit of rough, and large pieces to boot! If only it had some blue in there. ;-)

img_5955.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1414770645|3775454 said:
Preg, he didn't say it was really silky, so I'll go by his word. But I do understand what you're saying.

By the way, I forgot to share: if anyone is interested in seafoam/wintermint tourmaline, let me know. I came across a vendor who has quite a bit of rough, and large pieces to boot! If only it had some blue in there. ;-)

Wow, those are very nice stones. When they're faceted, they will be even nicer. They're a blue-green hue.

S

SparkliesLuver

He had a faceted example and I didn't see any blue, but maybe it's just my eyes. Plus I'd love something a bit more saturated in color. But I wanted to share. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1414771203|3775461 said:
He had a faceted example and I didn't see any blue, but maybe it's just my eyes. Plus I'd love something a bit more saturated in color. But I wanted to share. :)

Can you post a pic? These stones also tend to color shift from more blue to green in various lighting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, here's a very bluish seafoam tourmaline, not the most saturated, but it gives you ideas for color.

It's not for sale, but I thought I'd post it as an example.

seafoam_tourmaline.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Sure thing. It just didn't seem quite like what I was after although I was intrigued.

I find your example much prettier, so I'm sure it all depends.

_484.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1414777570|3775525 said:
Sure thing. It just didn't seem quite like what I was after although I was intrigued.

I find your example much prettier, so I'm sure it all depends.

Oh yes, I see what you mean. Hmmm, why is there so much color saturated at the tips, but it's dead in the middle?

Perhaps a different faceting pattern might have showed off the color better??? :confused:

S

SparkliesLuver

haha I don't know. He didn't want to sell the rough, because he wanted to cut it - I don't hold that against him or fault him for that.

That's what I thought too, so when I deduced (after several really nice conversations) that he was very into unique/different shapes, I politely passed.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous JW seafoam you posted TL - that colour gets me drooling every time.

Sparklies - I suppose you are aware that DandT has her teal tourmaline on LoupeTroup?

Pic for posterity.

10x7.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

I am, Starzin. ;-) Thank you! I'm sort of holding out hope for the Afghan tourmaline because the size we discussed is 10x10 (which is my ideal size). Plus, his cutting is ... well, you know. :love: But I am keeping her listing in my back pocket though. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea why the lapidary cut that shape but pointed tips tend to hold more colour (think pear and marquise tips).

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1415026333|3776746 said:
I am, Starzin. ;-) Thank you! I'm sort of holding out hope for the Afghan tourmaline because the size we discussed is 10x10 (which is my ideal size). Plus, his cutting is ... well, you know. :love: But I am keeping her listing in my back pocket though. :)
Yes... I understand ;)) However you do realise that if the pic you posted is anything to go by, it won't in anyway resemble the colour you have been chasing all this time - i.e. teal? A stunning stone nonetheless and I'd be antsy too!! :bigsmile:

S

SparkliesLuver

Me either, Chrono.

Starzin: You're right; I have been searching for a blue-green/teal color and his is definitely green with a touch of blue. I haven't seen any teal worth buying/keeping, so I figured I couldn't go wrong with a stone like that (plus I do find it gorgeous). But we'll see. You never know what will happen until a stone is cut and you see it in person. Plus, there are certain situations that I know I'd regret if I didn't explore further. This is one of them. Hope that makes sense.

S

SparkliesLuver

I emailed Jerry and asked if this could possibly be re-cut (to eliminate the window). I find the color drool-worthy.

_23790.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LA! Definitely has potential if the colour I see on my monitor is spot on. I would want at least a hand shot to confirm the colouration.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results