shape
carat
color
clarity

Any VC Emilya owners in Sydney?

bvm493

Rough_Rock
If so, would you mind sharing where you had it valued for insurance please?

My fiancee had a shocker of a valuation with a B&M jeweller (member of the NCJV), who said that it was due to the "very bad quality of the setting" and then went on to list out all the "problems". We are very upset, obviously do not agree with the comments and are looking for a second opinion. Any recs would be appreciated!

TIA

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
bvm493|1414760520|3775391 said:
If so, would you mind sharing where you had it valued for insurance please?

My fiancee had a shocker of a valuation with a B&M jeweller (member of the NCJV), who said that it was due to the "very bad quality of the setting" and then went on to list out all the "problems". We are very upset, obviously do not agree with the comments and are looking for a second opinion. Any recs would be appreciated!

TIA
I have not, but I would say that I would get a second opinion from an independent appraiser who is NOT a jeweler. This might be something along the lines of "sour grapes" in that this vendor is demeaning the work because he wants you to redo it through him.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an Emilya - the first and original one that was owned by Frankie and I've taken it into Tiffany's and Canturi and a number of high end jewellers here who have examined it and oooohed and aaaaahed over how well made it is.

I don't know of anyone here in Australia that can do pavework that is as fine, elegant and well done here, and I look at a lot of jewellery. Most of the halos we see are thick, chunky, clumsy messes with larger diamonds in the actual halo so they might not have seen anything like it before. If there are any concerns with the setting email Victor and I am sure he will offer to sort it out for you. Do you have photos of your ring?

Garry is in Melbourne and I know good valuers here in Brisbane, hopefully he or another member like MissKitty (hopefully she will see this) in Sydney can suggest a good appraiser for you.

bvm493

Rough_Rock
Thanks ame and arkieb

Ame - thats a good point you make. Perhaps we should have done that

Arkieb - thats the reaction my fiancee gets from everyone as well so the valuation was a shock. Theres nothing wrong with the setting whatsoever! The jewellers feedback was:

- there is very little metal holding the melee stones - to us thats a good thing. As you said, in AU the rings we get are clunky and definitely not the look we were going for.
- low metal weight, probably half the weight the jeweller would expect to see for the ring - again, goes back to the above comment
- the ring is cast instead of hand forged - my fiancee explained that VC was very well known for his quality hand forged settings but the jeweller said that it was definitely cast but perhaps hand finished and then proceeded to ask how VC was well known and whether he was appropriately certified/qualified and if so where at. Unfort my fiancee did not know off the top of her head about VCs certifications and the jeweller seemed to disregard online reviews.
- the price we paid was outrageously high and it should have come to half that price if we had purchased it in AU - again comments about VCs reputation and quality justifying the price did not convince them. Also we found AU settings were usually very expensive for an inferior quality.
- the single cuts used as melee are cheap and not particularly good - we understood single cut were more expensive and paid a premium to have them.
- the jeweller seemed shocked that my fiancee was actually happy with the setting

You can see why my fiancee got upset and we want to go elsewhere! Thanks

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bvm493|1414767408|3775421 said:
Thanks ame and arkieb

Ame - thats a good point you make. Perhaps we should have done that

Arkieb - thats the reaction my fiancee gets from everyone as well so the valuation was a shock. Theres nothing wrong with the setting whatsoever! The jewellers feedback was:

- there is very little metal holding the melee stones - to us thats a good thing. As you said, in AU the rings we get are clunky and definitely not the look we were going for.
- low metal weight, probably half the weight the jeweller would expect to see for the ring - again, goes back to the above comment
- the ring is cast instead of hand forged - my fiancee explained that VC was very well known for his quality hand forged settings but the jeweller said that it was definitely cast but perhaps hand finished and then proceeded to ask how VC was well known and whether he was appropriately certified/qualified and if so where at. Unfort my fiancee did not know off the top of her head about VCs certifications and the jeweller seemed to disregard online reviews.
- the price we paid was outrageously high and it should have come to half that price if we had purchased it in AU - again comments about VCs reputation and quality justifying the price did not convince them. Also we found AU settings were usually very expensive for an inferior quality.
- the single cuts used as melee are cheap and not particularly good - we understood single cut were more expensive and paid a premium to have them.
- the jeweller seemed shocked that my fiancee was actually happy with the setting

You can see why my fiancee got upset and we want to go elsewhere! Thanks

That's hilarious!! Although in some ways I'm not surprised. Some jewelers will say anything to make themselves look good, and some are just way toooooo old school!! You need a bucket of cement to hold that rock down before any of them will think it's secure enough. Don't take it personally. I would definitely trust arkieb1's recommendations as to appraisers. She knows her bling!! Come back and let us know what happens with the other appraiser.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results