shape
carat
color
clarity

***~~~*Fall Baking Thread -2014 *~~~***

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thread on substituting ingredients while baking reminded me that we need to start our fall baking thread! I have not baked a single thing yet this fall, but in recent years I went crazy with Trader Joe's pumpkin mixes, adding all sorts of ingredients to them until they really became my own creations.

Has anyone else been baking yet? Has anyone baked with apples, cranberries, pumpkin, squash? What else have you used?

Deb/AGBF
:lickout:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just received the last issue of food network magazine and made apple oatmeal cookies, reducing the sugar as I always do. They came out great!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1413230767|3766562 said:
I just received the last issue of food network magazine and made apple oatmeal cookies, reducing the sugar as I always do. They came out great!

I love the combination of apples and oats. I know I have a recipe somewhere for apple crisp made with oats!

Deb :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look forward to this thread but have nothing to add. :(sad
I bake the same way all year.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I have been making a really good and simple banana nut muffin from food.com http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-banana-muffins-8603lately and trying to perfect the toll house chocolate chip cookie recipe.

I am SO excited that it's fall and I am going to make a cranberry cake that I made for the first time last thanksgiving. It's so simple and so amazing! This year I might cut a 1/2 cup of sugar as it was very sweet and as with last years attempt I added walnuts. I originally saw it on facebook, but for the life of me I can't find it. I think this is the same recipe. http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-cranberry-cake-16000

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ponder|1413239556|3766630 said:
I have been making a really good and simple banana nut muffin from food.com http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-banana-muffins-8603lately and trying to perfect the toll house chocolate chip cookie recipe.

I am SO excited that it's fall and I am going to make a cranberry cake that I made for the first time last thanksgiving. It's so simple and so amazing! This year I might cut a 1/2 cup of sugar as it was very sweet and as with last years attempt I added walnuts. I originally saw it on facebook, but for the life of me I can't find it. I think this is the same recipe. http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-cranberry-cake-16000

Well...I think I have already read almost all the comments about that cranberry cake! I think the reason I became so obsessed are twofold. First, it was a cranberry cake, not a cranberry bread. (I have made many cranberry breads, but I don't think I have ever tried a cranberry cake.) Second, I was really worried about the lack of a leavening agent and the fact that the contributor said it was like a fruit cake! Now I think I am going to have to try it this holiday season. I have made too many cranberry breads to back out now!!!

Thank you for that contribution!

Deb ;))

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cooler weather reminds me of the years I lived in England.

This means toad in the hole! ie. British pork sausages baked in a Yorkshire pudding batter. I like to serve these with apple sauce, though it's traditional to eat these with onion gravy. I usually use the Jamie Oliver Yorkshire pudding recipe.

sausage1.jpg sausage_0.jpg

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
The start of fall makes me think of the local fair--which is known for their heavenly scones. The fair scones are cut in half (but not all the way through) and spread with butter and strawberry jam in the middle while piping hot! The butter gets all melty and mixes with the jam... mmmmmmmm!

I wasn't able to make it out to the fair this year, unfortunately. So I made homemade scones at the end of September instead!
1546333_10202345456909336_1168835609367445212_n.jpg

As for pumpkin/cranberry/apple baked goods, I'm planning on making:
-pumpkin bread
-pumpkin Challah
-apple tart
-cranberry bran muffins

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alpackie|1413258327|3766778 said:
The start of fall makes me think of the local fair--which is known for their heavenly scones. The fair scones are cut in half (but not all the way through) and spread with butter and strawberry jam in the middle while piping hot! The butter gets all melty and mixes with the jam... mmmmmmmm!

I wasn't able to make it out to the fair this year, unfortunately. So I made homemade scones at the end of September instead!

As for pumpkin/cranberry/apple baked goods, I'm planning on making:
-pumpkin bread
-pumpkin Challah
-apple tart
-cranberry bran muffins

Be still, my heart! Where do you live!!!! And why would you need to go to the fair if you can bake like that? I am so envious!!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1413256370|3766772 said:
Cooler weather reminds me of the years I lived in England.

This means toad in the hole! ie. British pork sausages baked in a Yorkshire pudding batter. I like to serve these with apple sauce, though it's traditional to eat these with onion gravy. I usually use the Jamie Oliver Yorkshire pudding recipe.

mochiko-

These are the the things of which literature is made...or at least British television! I have heard of Yorkshire pudding in books and in English movies and television shows. I think I have heard of toad in the hole only on British television! I have never eaten either and I couldn't have guessed at what toad in the hole was! (I had a vague idea about the Yorkshire pudding.)

I commend you for mastering how to make these dishes...and I also thank you for bringing them into my purview! It is interesting to see what they look like!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Deb, Yorkshire pudding is essentially the same as what you Yanks call popovers :) :) :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1413282510|3766814 said:
Hi Deb, Yorkshire pudding is essentially the same as what you Yanks call popovers :) :) :)

Oh! Thank you. I had no idea. I love popovers. We always had those on Christmas morning, courtesy of my father, as part of a huge breakfast! Here we eat them with butter.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this time of year! Soups, apples, cranberries.....

I did a big pot of butternut squash soup last week. I've got more to roast. Might try a butternut squash apple soup but DH can't eat many apples so I may just do it without (especially given the baking to come...).

Baking!

I have done a couple of festive holiday challah filled with apples & cinnamon. I use honey instead of sugar in the dough plus brandy and saffron. The apples get diced up small and mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg, and a bit of honey. Roll the dough into long ropes then flatten and fill with apples. Shape how you like. (I coil it up into a turban shaped thing) Takes forever to bake but is so good! (I do 350 so it cooks inside before burning outside)

Oh! Also did a baked French toast this weekend. Covered the bottom of the pan in slices of granny smith sprinkled with brown sugar and then topped with sliced challah & golden raisins (I've also done with cranberries :lickout: ). Let the milk/egg/cinnamon/nutmeg/vanilla sit for 30 minutes after pouring over bread then just bake until done.

NEED to start cooking lots of apple stuff.
I bought a 40 pound box of honey crisp apples and need to use them soon. Plus another 20 pounds of granny smith...

My plans include (as soon as my exam is over this morning and my homework is turned in tonight):
apple crisp
apple pie
apple cream cheese coffee cake
apple cinnamon coffee cake
banana bread with applesauce (I cut way back on oil and sugar and use homemade applesauce instead)
apple rhubarb crisp
apple sauce with latkes
apple fritters (already done a few batches of these)

OOOoo! Plus apple/cranberry/almond stuffing to go in turkeys and chickens! I make up a big batch of challah (my basic recipe) but mix ground herbs into the dough (especially thyme and rosemary) then shape into dinner rolls and a couple of loaves. The loaves get cut into cubes for the stuffing and the dinner rolls (what is left of them!) get served with the meal. The herbs come out of our garden.
Yeah.... I start cooking turkeys early. We've usually had at least 2 or 3 by the time Thanksgiving gets here.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just made chocolate chip cookies, and this weekend homemade pizzas (and have the ingredients to make more pizza this week (veggie with spinach, mushroom, and peppers).

I have a half dozen apples that are turning, and as they are not enough for apple pie maybe an apple crisp or muffins.

I need to dig out, is a cardamom bread recipe. It is basically a cinnamon quick bread (made with melted butter) but made with freshly ground cardamom. Heaven!.

And pumpkin pies and apple pies.

A family member made a really good recipe this summer of crookneck squash with cooked corn kernels cut off the cob, cooked together in a casserole dish with some butter and egg with herbed breadcrumbs on top. It tasted so good, need to get the recipe....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the thread Deb, lots of yummy looking things in here. :love:

I think I may have posted this first one before, but even so, it's definitely worth repeating. I have not met a person who doesn't love this yet. I suppose if I ran into someone who didn't like pumpkin they wouldn't. Apparently most people do!

Pumpkin Cake

4 eggs

1 2/3 c. sugar

1 c. canola oil

15 oz. can pumpkin

2 c. all purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Grease 9x13 pan. Heat oven to 350.

Mix eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin with mixer til light and fluffy. Have dry ingredients mixed, and add to batter in a couple batches, mix well after each. Pour and bake for 25-30 min. Cool completely, then frost.

Frosting

8 oz. soft cream cheese, softened

1 stick butter soft

3-4 cups powdered sugar (I use just over 3)

1-2 tsp. vanilla extract (I use just over 2)

Beat butter and cheese til smooth. Add powdered sugar in 1 cup additions, mixing well. If it gets too thick, add a Tbsp. or two of milk. (I do)

I find this even better the second day after all the spices have had time to marry.

Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffins

1-18.25 oz package blueberry muffin mix (the box kind)
1-8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. granulated sugar

Prepare muffins according to directions. (be sure to rinse berries!)

Divide 1/2 of batter among 1-12 count greased or paper lined muffin tin.

In medium bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar. Using mixer, beat on med. speed one minute.

Divide mixture among batter in muffin tin.

Top with remaining batter. (try to get things even all along as it is tight at the end)

Bake at 400 for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.

I found this recipe on a cream cheese carton and thought, what the heck, there are so few ingredients it's worth trying. They were SO good. They taste like you fussed, but you didn't. And the possibilities are endless as to what type of muffin you can use it with. I'm sure a homemade muffin would only improve things.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, Ellen, to see you posting again is a treat! And if you ever posted these recipes before I did not print them and put them into my Holiday Recipes binder, so I am very glad that your posted (or reposted) them today! I am going to reformat them for my binder and print them up now! They look absolutely delicious! Thank you!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you friend, enjoy!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have a good recipe for pumpkin coffee cake they would like to share?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1414515044|3773915 said:
Does anyone have a good recipe for pumpkin coffee cake they would like to share?

Ellen-

When you say "coffee cake" do you mean a crumb cake? I do not know a crumb cake recipe offhand (although I am willing to look for one), but a year or so ago I doctored up Trader Joe pumpkin bread mixes into rather thick, glaze-filled, pumpkin cake-type confections. I believe I posted about them the year I did it. I could look them up if that passes for a "coffee cake" to you. I wouldn't serve them to a ladies luncheon. A man who ate some of one said it was more like candy. ;))

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pumpkin Crumb Cake​

PREP
15 mins

COOK
45 mins

READY IN
1 hr

Ingredients

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix

1 egg, beaten

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree

3 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup white sugar

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 cup white sugar

3 tablespoons butter, softened

1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray or grease one 9x13 inch pan.

Reserve 1 cup cake mix. In a large bowl, combine the remaining dry cake mix with 1 egg and 1/2 cup melted butter. Mix well, and then pat into prepared pan.

In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup white sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour over crust.

In a small bowl, combine reserved 1 cup cake mix, 1/2 cup sugar, and 3 tablespoons softened butter. Crumble over pumpkin filling. Sprinkle nuts evenly over the top, if desired.

Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes.

I got this from allrecipes.com of which I have been a member for many years. I love that website!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Deb, I was looking for something akin to a crumb cake. Which I had to look up the definition of to make sure I knew what you meant since I do not hear that term in this neck of the woods! I thought maybe someone would have a tried and true recipe, but apparently I must venture out into the pumpkin patch to find the perfect recipe.

Thank you so much for your recipe, I will add it to the growing collection of pumpkin crumb cake recipes I've got going, and let you know which one wins. These are what I have so far.

http://www.theredheadbaker.com/pumpkin-breakfast-cake/

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/breakfastbrunch/pumpkin-breakfast-cake/

http://sweettreatsmore.com/2014/09/easy-cinnamon-sugar-pumpkin-snack-cake-recipe/

May the best cake win!

crummy they all can't win....har

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1414578145|3774320 said:
Yes Deb, I was looking for something akin to a crumb cake. Which I had to look up the definition of to make sure I knew what you meant since I do not hear that term in this neck of the woods! I thought maybe someone would have a tried and true recipe, but apparently I must venture out into the pumpkin patch to find the perfect recipe.

Thank you so much for your recipe, I will add it to the growing collection of pumpkin crumb cake recipes I've got going, and let you know which one wins. These are what I have so far.

http://sweettreatsmore.com/2014/09/easy-cinnamon-sugar-pumpkin-snack-cake-recipe/

May the best cake win!

All of those cakes look luscious, Ellen, and I welcome a review of any (or all) you try. None of them looks like a crumb cake, however. A crumb cake has some type of streusel topping. Not frosting. A topping that is baked on. I didn't realize it was a regional term. ;))

Deb

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Need to do up a pot of squash soup today. I've got butternut squashes sitting in the kitchen...

Hmm.... Also need to do something with the pumpkins in the garage. Maybe a pie to go with the turkey I'm doing Friday?

Still using apples. Even after giving away a big bag.
Will stuff the turkey with a challah stuffing with apples and fresh cranberries.

Have a guest arriving tomorrow-ish. Need to bake some apple yummy stuff!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1414589688|3774392 said:
Ellen|1414578145|3774320 said:

May the best cake win!

All of those cakes look luscious, Ellen, and I welcome a review of any (or all) you try. None of them looks like a crumb cake, however. A crumb cake has some type of streusel topping. Not frosting. A topping that is baked on. I didn't realize it was a regional term. ;))

Deb
That is what the first one has. The second doesn't but the last has a "cheater" version. ::) As far as terminology, maybe it's like pop vs. soda? Anywho, I will definitely let you know what I end up making. I bought another can of pumpkin today, I now have like 4 or 5 cans. Maybe I will make them all..... :bigsmile:

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
I made this cake a couple of weeks ago, after it was printed in a local paper. It was delicious! When I make it again, I think I will use a little bit less butter in the crumb topping, because the crumbs came out more as as a hard topping, instead of a looser crumb. Even so, it was very good. The author is a pastry chef and writer by the name of Claire Nines.

Triple A Crumb Cake

crumb topping:
5 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened and cut into small cubes
1/4 Cup sugar
1/4 Cup dark brown sugar
4 Tbsp ground amaretti cookies
1/2 Cup flour
1/2 Cup chopped almonds
3 Tbsp chopped apple

Cake:
1 1/2 Cups Cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
2 Tbsp almond paste
1/2 Cup sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
2 tsp almond extract
1/2 Cup buttermilk
2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease an 8 inch spring form or cake pan.
Prepare crumb topping first.
In a food processor combine sugars, cookies and flour. Add butter and pulse until thick and firm. Place mixture in a bowl and add almonds, and chopped apple. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Whisk cake flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Beat butter in a mixer on medium- high for one minute. Add almond paste and beat until combined.
Add sugar and beat until light. Scrape sides of bowl. Beat in one egg at a time on low and add almond extract until combined. Scrape bowl again, if necessary. Add half of the flour mixture then half the buttermilk. Add the remainder of the flour and buttermilk, but be careful not to over mix.

Fill pan and lay sliced apples on the top. then spoon crumb on top and press crumb gently, with the back of the spoon, into the apples. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.*

* It took my cake longer than 35 minutes to bake through

Triple A stands for apple, almonds and amaretti.

Enjoy!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jilly, that does sound delicious!

Were the cookies for the topping easy to find? And I know exactly what you mean about the topping (too much butter), I have had that happen before. Thanks for the heads up, and thanks for the recipe!

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
Ellen, I'm in New Jersey, so the amaretti cookies were easily found in my grocery store. If you can't find them in your local grocery store, try an Italian specialty shop, or even a gourmet food shop.

You're welcome for the recipe! My husband and I ate one piece of it, then I sent the rest to work with him to get it far away from me.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the tip on finding the cookies. And yes, I am thinking this would be a good one to take to my Sunday School class, so I cannot be tempted....

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
nutella star bread

10354472_279657388907165_34431485_n.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dawnxcui|1414762030|3775397 said:
nutella star bread

That is gorgeous! Recipe?

Deb

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results