shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this RB diamond from Ritani?

eric12

Rough_Rock
I have a stone on hold from Ritani:

https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-0-66-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-3W5YQ7?search_key=D-3W5YQ7 (HD video available)

Specs are:
I-color
VS2 clarity
GIA XXX
Table: 55%
Depth: 61.2
Crown ang: 34.0
Pav ang: 40.6
M-STT girdle
FL: Faint

They can't provide me with an idealscope image, and buying and returning isn't an option. I need it to be right the first time. I would prefer to buy from whiteflash or JA, but this seems like excellent dimensions for the money, and I can't find anything on either that really measures up. Any thoughts on whether I am making a good decision? I am a bit uneasy buying something without seeing some kind of more objective analysis of performance like an idealscope image.

Also, strangely, the same stone listed as a very good cut on this ebay listing from India of all places (??):
http://www.ebay.in/itm/0-66-ct-I-VS2-GIA-Round-Solitaire-Diamond-Engagement-Gold-Ring-2176837605-/111476173992?pt=IN_Diamond_Jewellery_Loose_Diamonds&hash=item19f47f6ca8

I assume this is incorrect, but it has me worried that something is funny or off about this stone.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The numbers are in a good range. And it looks nice from the image. If it is a eyeclean, then it is a potentially nice selection.

eric12

Rough_Rock
Thanks, yeah that's definitely my thoughts too... Let me ask this, what is my risk here? Can a stone like this potentially show a lot more leakage than the dimensions would lead you to believe? Or are they rock-solid enough that an idealscope would be very unlikely to show issues?

They said it was eye-clean, although that information was probably gleaned from the video as they don't have it on-hand at the moment. I do believe them on this as I really scrutinized the video myself and saw nothing concerning.

eric12

Rough_Rock
I need to do this today, so I slept on it, but still can't decide. It depends on if I can convince myself to ignore the lack of performance imagery (idealscope, aset etc). I don't know if I will succeed...

I really need to know that it is a top 2% performer as it will not be returned under any circumstances. Any other thoughts on the chance that the performance is simply not up to the specs?

My other option is a lovely 0.7 ct J-color stone that ideal-scoped out very well at another vendor. But it's a lower color for the same money, and I see plenty of yellow from the side in the video provided to me. I can't raise my budget $500 to get a Whiteflash ACA or GOG ring, or I would definitely do so. And I'm not willing to go any smaller.

Any final thoughts before I decide?

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I think that stone is pretty sweet. It has very safe angles and the video and photos looks great. I think it is very good buy. :appl: If I was in your shoes, I would buy it. I would say to buy an Idealscope so you can check it out in person but moot point if you are not planning on sending it back.... but maybe for your peace of mind? :bigsmile:

dar7

Rough_Rock
The Ritani site says 30 day returns, I don't understand why you say it's a done deal?

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like you're under a time constraint to propose by a certain date. The diamond at ritani looks pretty nice and I bet she'll be happy with it :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results