shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA VS2 1.21ct F - help required please!

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Been a long time reader of this forum and it's helped me no end in choosing my diamond criteria. Finally found a stone that falls within my budget and meets all my criteria. Would appreciate your comments, in case there is something on the grading report that I should be concerned about.

The GIA report also states in the comments section that, clouds are not shown.

Thanks!!!

_23662.jpg

_23663.jpg

_23664.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it has potential but the HCA does grade it as very good for light return and scintillation rather than excellent. So I could not buy this (or any) stone without at least an idealscope image and a magnified image of the stone itself.

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply diamondseeker!!

I have a local jeweller in Northern Ireland who is sourcing the stone for me. There is a fairly limited selection over here that meets my spec and any that do are way over my budget.

This stone is being imported from India, would it be acceptable for me to request an idealscope and magnified image before we commit to having the stone delivered?

Would you be able to pass any insight on a price range for this particular spec?

Cheers

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
I would absolutely ask about the idealscope. And certainly get an image. Don't ask for that. Demand it!

Sounds like you know your criteria, but, I have to ask: can you give any on color? You're going to be paying more for that "F" than you have to if you can live with a lower color. May I suggest G, H, or even I?

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
Hi Canvas,

What would be the benefits of lowering the colour grade? I assume to increase on carat?

The first and only set of diamonds I bought before I soon jump into this purchase, were a set of earrings. It was a Xmas present impulse job. I'm not really happy with the quality/ sparkle. So this had a massive influence on the criteria for this stone.

I mainly done most of my research on this forum and other sites. I am looking for quality over quantity. but more so quality to the naked eye. what you can see under a microscope doesn't hold much appeal to me personally.

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
I see. Yes, a decrease in color will give you more budget room. It will help you put that extra $$$ towards better cut, more carat weight, better clarity, etc.....

I'm glad you made that microscope comment. Though you can see color without the microscope, I'm very happy with how white a well cut 1ct diamond is in a true H color. A F is going to cost more, for something I cannot see unless I put it beside a stone that is an I. That being said, the H i paid LESS for may as well be a D. It looks white to me! Still on the microscope comment....I recommend looking at Si1 eye clean stones. We may can find a nice one for you in that 1.2 ct size!

Unless you have an unlimited budget, buying diamonds is all about sacrificing something in order to get what you want. That's why people have their parameters, and we do our best to help them in their range. What I don't recommend sacrificing, is cut. Sacrifice anything but that, as I'd bet that is what was sacrificed on the earrings you mentioned.

Just as an option beside your specific search, I'd love to help search alongside you if you end up wanting any help!

Either way, Best of luck, and no stress. Enjoy this experience.

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
That is a very kind offer!

No stress.... I'm done, it is now decision time for me! you could go stir crazy with the options, as no two diamonds are the same.

I am pretty fixed on the vs2; triple x; GIA or AGS grading report; no fluorescence. However I never considered lowering the colour and increasing the ct. which is something I will definitely look into. If you have any good options, I'd be more than delighted to look at them!

Can I ask your thoughts on the diamond details I posted? I now know the other images I need to make an informed decision, thanks to diamondseeker - so will be requesting them tomorrow.

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
tinyballs|1414629110|3774735 said:
That is a very kind offer!

No stress.... I'm done, it is now decision time for me! you could go stir crazy with the options, as no two diamonds are the same.

I am pretty fixed on the vs2; triple x; GIA or AGS grading report; no fluorescence. However I never considered lowering the colour and increasing the ct. which is something I will definitely look into. If you have any good options, I'd be more than delighted to look at them!

Can I ask your thoughts on the diamond details I posted? I now know the other images I need to make an informed decision, thanks to diamondseeker - so will be requesting them tomorrow.

I think it has potential, but need some images to tell more. It may be lovely, or it may be like the earrings and not be fiery and have little scintillation. The stone is getting on the deep side, and I wouldn't dream about purchasing it without more info (if I did, it'd be a nightmare).

Don't rule it out, but if you give me a budget for the stone, there's likely (probably!!) better to be had.

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
I've just emailed the vendor requesting the various images mentioned. My budget is £7.5k British pound - that's to include mount also.

I've attached a snapshot of the mount.

_23675.jpg

_23676.jpg

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
I have no idea what the taxes will be, I'll have to look into that. Although I'm certainly not against jumping on a flight to pick up and bring it home myself.

With the stone you propose I'm essentially sacrificing 2 colour grades for an extra .07ct and possibly a better cut (dependant on the images I've requested for the original diamond I proposed?)

First thoughts on taxes will be vat at 20% might be payable. Don't know if this applies to personal purchases tho... Will do some research now.

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
tinyballs|1414679432|3774965 said:
I have no idea what the taxes will be, I'll have to look into that. Although I'm certainly not against jumping on a flight to pick up and bring it home myself.

With the stone you propose I'm essentially sacrificing 2 colour grades for an extra .07ct and possibly a better cut (dependant on the images I've requested for the original diamond I proposed?)

First thoughts on taxes will be vat at 20% might be payable. Don't know if this applies to personal purchases tho... Will do some research now.

While this is true, the stone I posted is a guaranteed performer by being one of the best branded cuts in the world. It also has a lifetime upgrade policy. That being said, there is essentially no "risk-factor" involved with buying.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results