kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Wow, maybe men really ARE pigs

Not surprising, in the least.

I've had it happen in the past walking down the street hand-in-hand with my ex-husband who was 6'5", 225 lbs.

Recently a young woman in school in Charlottesville, VA was abducted and killed by a man seen following her and then walking with his arm around her on security cameras in the area she was taken from. This video reminds me of it. Chilling.

Men seem to think they have some RIGHT to attention from a female and many will not take no, or no answer, for an answer.

Scary world. Ladies, remember, don't just punch/kick the nuts, grab and pull them as hard as you can if possible.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Depressingly familiar.
And the video of course cannot address the kind of aggressive / entitled behaviours that women encounter from men they have gone on to become intimate with.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1414547118|3774187 said:
Depressingly familiar.

Not to us men.

Again, I'm SOOOO happy there are now so many video cameras helping us to see and understand the world we live in.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very depressing and upsetting. I know it happens but it's disturbing to see it unfold in front of your eyes. My 25 year old daughter has told me she has to endure this behavior from men and it makes me angry, sad, and worried for her. Some of the comments underneath are also upsetting - it's not harassment, women are too sensitive, her outfit is too tight, they're just being nice - give me a break. These remarks from men are clearly sexual in nature.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is scary and disturbing. When I was 21, I worked downtown LA, and I remember dealing with that kind of behavior. I lasted six months in that job because of that. Makes me glad to be old! Although the world is a much scarier place nowthan in 1980, so I am not sure it makes much of a difference. No one should have to endure that kind of harassment.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1414556092|3774246 said:
Although the world is a much scarier place nowthan in 1980, so I am not sure it makes much of a difference. No one should have to endure that kind of harassment.

The reality is that it is much much safer now than in 1980. The 80s were the worst, violent crime is now at all time lows .And if you are walking around DTLA, you are much more likely to be harassed for money than catcalled.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What I find fascinating is how many men reflexively respond with bizarre hypotheticals to defend the catcallers - I can never tell if it's identification of the "Oh, I so do that" type or identification of the "Oh, I so WANT to do that type" or identification of the "Oh, I'm so socially maladjusted that I live in fear that I am perceived as doing that" type. No matter which you pick, though, it's so willfully tone-deaf that it breeds no sympathy in my breast. Good rule of thumb: If a large class of people tell you X behavior is hurtful, offensive, and scary, STOP TRYING TO FIND WAYS TO JUSTIFY IT. Just knock it off.

Here, have a .gif in case you run across their kind of "logic" ....

catcaller_bingo.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I saw the video this morning, and yes, it was very disturbing.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dear men,

If you wouldn't say those exact words (in that exact tone of voice, with that exact facial expression) to another dude on the street, then don't say it to any woman, ever.

Kthxbai.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ericad|1414595595|3774437 said:
Dear men,

If you wouldn't say those exact words (in that exact tone of voice, with that exact facial expression) to another dude on the street, then don't say it to any woman, ever.

Kthxbai.

Corollary: if another dude on the street saying those exact words to you (in that exact tone of voice, with that exact facial expression) would make YOU feel uncomfortable ... stop trying to come up with reasons why the ladies should love it.

ETA: Easily distracted Circe is distracted: Erica, WHAT is that stunner in your icon?

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Circe|1414595994|3774439 said:
ericad|1414595595|3774437 said:
Dear men,

Kthxbai.

Corollary: if another dude on the street saying those exact words to you (in that exact tone of voice, with that exact facial expression) would make YOU feel uncomfortable ... stop trying to come up with reasons why the ladies should love it.

ETA: Easily distracted Circe is distracted: Erica, WHAT is that stunner in your icon?

:wavey: Hi Circe! It's a 2.60ct Tranny, GIA J, VS1, set in a vintage-inspired faux-bezel petal setting I had made for it. It's my personal piece, poached the stone from my store - one of the key benefits of selling jewelry, lol. :)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I lived in a world where this surprised me instead being the norm. I also had to deal with this behavior in the 80's. What is truly disturbing Is this type of behavior toward women hasn't changed in 30 years. Makes me afraid for my nieces.

It's funny how society feels it's fine to tell woman how to dress but doesn't tell men how to act appropriately and respectful.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The story behind the video:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2014/10/29/the-story-behind-that-10-hours-of-walking-in-nyc-viral-street-harassment-video/

Aaaaannnddd...the actress has already received online rape threats in the youtube comments section (they're being reported and consequently deleted, but just reading the comments under the video is sickening.)

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/shoshana-b-roberts-threatened-after-catcall-video-1.9556016

Calliecake: yeah, where is the accountability? Why are young boys and men NOT being taught how to be respectful in their approach? As usual it's the boys' club and we're just supposed to let it go because, you know, boys will be boys. Gag. :wall: :angryfire:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1414625626|3774705 said:
The story behind the video:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2014/10/29/the-story-behind-that-10-hours-of-walking-in-nyc-viral-street-harassment-video/

Aaaaannnddd...the actress has already received online rape threats in the youtube comments section (they're being reported and consequently deleted, but just reading the comments under the video is sickening.)

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/shoshana-b-roberts-threatened-after-catcall-video-1.9556016

Calliecake: yeah, where is the accountability? Why are young boys and men NOT being taught how to be respectful in their approach? As usual it's the boys' club and we're just supposed to let it go because, you know, boys will be boys. Gag. :wall: :angryfire:

Monnie, Your comments are spot on. I always love your comments!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I don't get what these guys think will happen? :confused:

Some woman will say, "You know, you are so handsome in your hardhat and butt-crack jeans, I think I WILL date you!"

Morons. :roll:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to get comments like this when I was younger, too.
In fact, one guy even reached out and touched my rear as I walked by. I turned around and glared at him, but he just laughed!
And it is scary. Do they know they are threatening to us, or is it some kind of sport? Do they hang out on the sidewalks just waiting for women to walk by? Don't they have jobs or classes to attend? Oh--there it is---these guys are of a certain social class. Maybe they don't know any better?
"When you know better, you do better"-Maya Anjelou

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the only reasons I'm glad to be a bit on the heavier side now adays. Back a few years ago, and 40 lbs or so, I would get harrassed constantly. I literally missed my bus one time because some creeper was trying to talk to me and slow me down (I walk very quickly).

My favourite is the honks from drivers. What do you expect a woman to do? Jump in front of your car as you drive by because you honked at her? :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results