shape
carat
color
clarity

Boycotting Chickfil A and now Hobby Lobby

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1380963890|3532618 said:
makhro82|1380957347|3532610 said:
smitcompton|1380908863|3532185 said:
Hi,

I think its a good action to be able to take if you feel strongly about an issue. The Hobby lobby issue is not a strong one for me, and I like the store for framing my artwork, so I'll continue to use them. Catholic Hospitals, Religious institutions, who object can have a dispensation as far as I'm concerned. BirthControl pills are affordable and are just one more, of many things that may not be covered by their health insurance.

Now, there are issues, womens issues(other than the above birthcontrol), race issues, antisemitism and a few others that are important to me.I would never use Good Old Gold for diamonds. His views are so at odds with mine: issues that I have worked so hard for in my lifetime. I wouldn't give his business a dime. Its my opinion and only mine, and there is no libel attached, although there are those that wish to make it so.

Its our own choice how to spend our money. I hope to choose wisely.

I want to know about this.

I second this. When Jon posted dead fetus' on the Good Old Gold BUSINESS Facebook page, that was it for me. I even had a free gift certificate I won, and sold that rather than use it. Then when I won an AVR, I traded that to Thing2.

I have no issue with anyone who does business with him. And I even recommend GOG on RT, but for my personal funds-- I can't do it.

This is completely false. Gypsy I don't know if you are knowingly lying to the PS community or are saying this out of sheer ignorance but this is how false rumors start.

I would appreciate an apology.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1380982415|3532660 said:
makhro82|1380973742|3532634 said:
Wow and I thought this and the premium thread were depressing... I looked up the thread about that vendor and I'm taken aback by some of the things that I read from other Pricescopers.

Sorry for the following threadjack but that post is locked.

To completely ignore race because you have not experienced racism or because White people voted for a Black president.
is ridiculous.

Or that there are code words meant to be racial but they really aren't because people are too offended and how can racism change if we constantly see things through the prism of race (well for one thing that's the prism we all live in). Wow.

Race has shaped the way I see things and it is one of many lenses in which I see the world. There is nothing wrong with that. I would much rather look through a lens of love but that is not my reality. I've been ignored and followed in stores, isolated in school from my peers, spat on, called abusive names, denied jobs and then I married a Black man who's life I fear for everyday (not being melodramatic) because society doesn't always value him the way that I do. And then we had the nerve to live in the burbs!

There are things that are obviously racist and then there are the subtle ones like the image referenced in the post. Some people are worried about coming off as racist and if that is your gut feeling then you should probably rethink it because it probably is AND if racism weren't very real and a struggle for people everyday then there'd be no "race card" to pull.

I don't consider myself a Christian and I don't want the focus to be about the two people mentioned in the article but more so the dual realities of anyone considered "other" in America whether it be the poor, gays, Jews or Blacks like mentioned in the article: http://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2013/july/3-things-privileged-christians-can-learn-from-trayvon-marti.html?paging=off

And with that I am on a self-imposed Pricescope hiatus because to stick around is not good for my blood pressure or sanity. It truly hurts my heart that in 2013 this is the way we still see each other...

Sorry for the threadjack but I had to get that off my chest after reading that.

Makhro, I don't know which thread you traced to to find those attitudes, but given that there have been plenty to which I can see your post applying ....

1) Agree on all counts.

2) Bookmarking that link as something that might hopefully communicate I position I believe in in a way that I haven't been able to get across at time when talking to people coming from that background.

3) I am so sorry this has been a source of hurt. PS is a great community as per its focus, but these discussions can be weirdly painful, popping up in a place where a shared hobby can blur the demarcations we see in larger society. I tend to feel like "We all get along!" until one of these pops up, and then it's like "... we live in completely separate Venn diagrams, don't we." It can be frustrating, to say the least.

Just getting to read this thread and I also agree with you makhro82.
Unless you have been there and experienced it for yourself you just cannot fully understand. But to be dismissive of how one feels is just adding insult to injury. Discrimination and prejudices still exist (whether or not it has been personally experienced) and no matter how far we have come we still have a long way to go.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it's incorrect to say it was on GOG's business page. It definitely wasn't posted there.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhino|1380989948|3532738 said:
Gypsy|1380963890|3532618 said:
makhro82|1380957347|3532610 said:
smitcompton|1380908863|3532185 said:
Hi,

I think its a good action to be able to take if you feel strongly about an issue. The Hobby lobby issue is not a strong one for me, and I like the store for framing my artwork, so I'll continue to use them. Catholic Hospitals, Religious institutions, who object can have a dispensation as far as I'm concerned. BirthControl pills are affordable and are just one more, of many things that may not be covered by their health insurance.

Now, there are issues, womens issues(other than the above birthcontrol), race issues, antisemitism and a few others that are important to me.I would never use Good Old Gold for diamonds. His views are so at odds with mine: issues that I have worked so hard for in my lifetime. I wouldn't give his business a dime. Its my opinion and only mine, and there is no libel attached, although there are those that wish to make it so.

Its our own choice how to spend our money. I hope to choose wisely.

I want to know about this.

I second this. When Jon posted dead fetus' on the Good Old Gold BUSINESS Facebook page, that was it for me. I even had a free gift certificate I won, and sold that rather than use it. Then when I won an AVR, I traded that to Thing2.

I have no issue with anyone who does business with him. And I even recommend GOG on RT, but for my personal funds-- I can't do it.

This is completely false. Gypsy I don't know if you are knowingly lying to the PS community or are saying this out of sheer ignorance but this is how false rumors start.

I would appreciate an apology.

I apologize if I got the details wrong-- I did not realize it was a fake fetus, I thought it was a real fetus, but I hide the thing immediately and did not spend time analyzing it. I do remember that it came after a series of inflamatory posts by Jon, and the context of your posts clearly affected my experience of the photo.

I also thought it was on GOG's site, not on your personal site... again, if I got the details wrong I am sorry.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jonathan, I am so sorry that this is being trumped up again. As you know, I stopped coming to PS for reasons like this but I feel like I have to say something on your behalf. I only knew of you through a Facebook/Pricescope page and I felt like you were a long lost brother. We became friends immediately. Friends first. It was not until the last month that I made my first purchase at GOG and it won't be my last. Jonathan , you have a heart of Gold. ;)) He is compassionate and really does wear his heart on his sleeve. Slow to anger and very polite when responding to opposing views. It really takes a lot to rattle him and I have admired him for doing his best to speak softly when there are times I want to lash out in anger in frustration for him. That shows a lot of integrity if you ask me. He is honest without being unreasonable. If only people would know that instead of reading and believing what they "heard" or what they think they "saw".
Prior to my purchase, my nephew was getting engaged. He was looking for a designer setting and right away, I sent him to GOG. I sent the diamond (that was mine) to GOG, they ordered the setting and it made to the diamonds specifications and arrived in as little as 2 weeks. Keep in mind, many vendors don't want to set other peoples stones. It was remarkable!! The communication, the service, was bar-none compared to other vendors I have dealt with on here. They were always one step ahead and sent me pictures without me even asking. My nephew and his fiancé were thrilled.
Yes, I know I may have gone off topic a little bit and this should probably be where the testimonials are but I have a good feeling that most will come here versus going to the testimonial section.

jordan_s_ering_______________.jpg

sideview_of_stephanies_ring.jpg

stephanies_ring_.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1380736175|3530838 said:
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/10/02/hobby-lobby-doesnt-want-jewish-customers/ WTF is wrong with these people? Seriously, your religion teaches you to discriminate against others? That's not religion, that just hate.

Walmart, and Papa Johns also on the boycott list. Ambercrombie (not that that was ever an issue)....

I just don't understand.

Gypsy,

You started this thread with a link to something that does not now exist . . . probably because it was a deception, a lie, and they were legally forced to remove it.

Five pages of angst and hashing over the true meaning of intolerance, naming this company or that as being worthy of boycotting. Because of a falsehood. Something that wasn't true, wasn't from a credible source, and you had no real proof.

And we wonder why so many people have dropped PS and gone their merry way . . . :doh:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1414523470|3773992 said:
Gypsy|1380736175|3530838 said:
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/10/02/hobby-lobby-doesnt-want-jewish-customers/ WTF is wrong with these people? Seriously, your religion teaches you to discriminate against others? That's not religion, that just hate.

Walmart, and Papa Johns also on the boycott list. Ambercrombie (not that that was ever an issue)....

I just don't understand.

Gypsy,

You started this thread with a link to something that does not now exist . . . probably because it was a deception, a lie, and they were legally forced to remove it.

Five pages of angst and hashing over the true meaning of intolerance, naming this company or that as being worthy of boycotting. Because of a falsehood. Something that wasn't true, wasn't from a credible source, and you had no real proof.

And we wonder why so many people have dropped PS and gone their merry way . . . :doh:

The 'legitimacy' of what starts a discussion doesn't matter much.
The discussion itself matters.

Equality and discrimination is the topic.
Any discussion is helpful ... that is if one values equality, rather than protecting one's ill-gotten superior status from slipping away to join things like slavery and men-only voting in the dustbin of history.

All the people who disguise their anti-equalty feelings behind X or Y cannot defend it with arguments.
So they lose debates and equality expands a bit, as all the readers march off to their polling locations.

I'm so glad to live in this era of expanding equality.
The people in those groups who feel superior must hate all this because they are losing their faux-superior-status.
Can't be superior if we're all equal.

As a former-inferior person (gay) being raised up to equal status I take great delight in watching all of this, particularly seeing the self-proclamed superior groups crumble and sink down to my level of being just another brick in the wall of humanity.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please don't bring threads up that were closed again. They were closed for a reason.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I can't believe that anyone would report my pro-equality post.

Just goes to show how desperately some people hold onto being superior ... especially when superiority is disguised as being "moral". :nono:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the thing. There are religious groups that believe their scriptures require them to discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identification and/or sexuality... and there are those that do not. And I'm not talking about religions that preach "hate the sin love the sinner" - i.e., we accept your sexuality but not your sexual activity. There are Christian (and Jewish, and probably other religions too) denominations that have re-examined their beliefs and decided against earlier interpretations, and for equal treatment for all people irrespective of gender or sexuality. I know of Christian churches that enacted that in practice years ago, even decades ago, in contradiction to the policies of their denominations. Some got away with it, others (churches and individuals) were sanctioned. But they did it anyway because they knew it was right. Several Christian denominations have adopted policies of equality formally in recent years following many years of searching and discussion. They did so knowing full well that the position would be unacceptable to some of their membership, and that they would lose both members and churches as a result. And they have lost members and churches. But they did it anyway.

So... it irks me when anyone is so hateful of all organized religion, or all Christianity, based on a legacy that is no longer a reality for many churches and denominations.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1414543916|3774164 said:
Wow, I can't believe that anyone would report my pro-equality post.

Just goes to show how desperately some people hold onto being superior ... especially when superiority is disguised as being "moral". :nono:

I didn't report your post, and I can't imagine who would.
I also did not see anything telling me this thread was closed. So, sorry that I brought it back up.
My point was that the original 'news' about HL is apparently bogus. Kinda shoots holes in all that outrage.
That's all.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Holly.
I see your point.

Yeah, it's strange a 'closed' thread is open. :confused: ... or that Ella would spank us for posting in it without closing it.
Oh well.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, I am one person who reported your post. There may have been others I have no way of knowing. I reported it because I am tired of reading your mean posts about other groups of people and using the gay card for protection to allow you to do so. Whether you know it or not there are those of us who do not care who you have sex with. I have friends and neighbors who are in active gay and lesbian relationships and they carry on their lives normally. It is not even mentioned that they are gay. They openly live with their partners and never whine about how everybody is against them. It is only the militant gay or anti-gays that we ever hear from. Maybe if you realized that you are a lucky individual and posted more about your positive points it would make you and others around you happier. Maybe not, maybe you want to be a victim? I do know you enjoy the ability to do many things and there are others who do not have that privilege. I have heard a saying that one should be nice to others because we do not know what trials they are facing. You are so much more than your sexual orientation. Enjoy your day! I am done.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1414553419|3774233 said:
Here's the thing. There are religious groups that believe their scriptures require them to discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identification and/or sexuality... and there are those that do not. And I'm not talking about religions that preach "hate the sin love the sinner" - i.e., we accept your sexuality but not your sexual activity. There are Christian (and Jewish, and probably other religions too) denominations that have re-examined their beliefs and decided against earlier interpretations, and for equal treatment for all people irrespective of gender or sexuality. I know of Christian churches that enacted that in practice years ago, even decades ago, in contradiction to the policies of their denominations. Some got away with it, others (churches and individuals) were sanctioned. But they did it anyway because they knew it was right. Several Christian denominations have adopted policies of equality formally in recent years following many years of searching and discussion. They did so knowing full well that the position would be unacceptable to some of their membership, and that they would lose both members and churches as a result. And they have lost members and churches. But they did it anyway.

So... it irks me when anyone is so hateful of all organized religion, or all Christianity, based on a legacy that is no longer a reality for many churches and denominations.

Having to take back my I am done to congratulate you for this post which I believe to be true.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
crown1|1414582134|3774334 said:
Kenny, I am one person who reported your post. There may have been others I have no way of knowing. I reported it because I am tired of reading your mean posts about other groups of people and using the gay card for protection to allow you to do so. Whether you know it or not there are those of us who do not care who you have sex with. I have friends and neighbors who are in active gay and lesbian relationships and they carry on their lives normally. It is not even mentioned that they are gay. They openly live with their partners and never whine about how everybody is against them. It is only the militant gay or anti-gays that we ever hear from. Maybe if you realized that you are a lucky individual and posted more about your positive points it would make you and others around you happier. Maybe not, maybe you want to be a victim? I do know you enjoy the ability to do many things and there are others who do not have that privilege. I have heard a saying that one should be nice to others because we do not know what trials they are facing. You are so much more than your sexual orientation. Enjoy your day! I am done.

Nonsense. It's not a "card." It's a relevant example, not unlike a black person describing their experience of racism, or a woman describing her experience of misogyny. Organized religions do discriminate against people on the basis of their sexuality. Gay people get to keep talking about it until they stop, end of story.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

It may be because, Hobby Lobby won their case, which they did. They do not have to provide birth-control pills, as part of their health insurance to employees. The web-site in question may have decided the fight was over, they lost. It doesn't mean anyone lied about anything. The owners of Hobby Lobby are not from one of the main religious groups in the country. I don't remember which, but Morman or Jehovah Witness comes to mind. I am too lazy to check.

Annette

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1414582967|3774342 said:
crown1|1414582134|3774334 said:

Nonsense. It's not a "card." It's a relevant example, not unlike a black person describing their experience of racism, or a woman describing her experience of misogyny. Organized religions do discriminate against people on the basis of their sexuality. Gay people get to keep talking about it until they stop, end of story.

screen_shot_2014-10-29_at_9.png

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Comments were brought into this thread from a closed thread. We're now closing this thread. Enough.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results