shape
carat
color
clarity

Worried that I have a steep/deep! Help!

digether

Rough_Rock
Hello! I recently purchased a 1.28 ct GIA-certified triple EX I SI1 from a local jeweler along with a custom halo engagement ring. At the time, we were only looking for diamonds up to 1.2 ct but the jeweler showed us this diamond because it was a great deal and around the same price as many of the lower ct diamonds we had been looking at. I didn't know as much about diamonds back then and thought that all GIA Excellent diamonds must be more than good enough. After I brought it home, I noticed that it was dark in the middle, especially when I compared it to my sisters' rings. I thought it was just a reflection of my head, or that it was because mine was actually a superior cut, or because theirs weren't as clean. But recently, I randomly put my diamond's proportions through the Halloway Cut Advisor and it only got a score of 5.3 - Good! Now, after more research, I'm freaking out because the proportions sound like they could be pretty bad and that we didn't get a good deal at all. I'm still within 30 days of the purchase and could return the diamond and try to search for another one in the same price range that is smaller, but I'm worried that it won't look right in the halo setting that was custom made for this diamond. I really don't like gaps between center diamond and halo setting. And I really don't want to spend more to find a better quality diamond in the same size. What should I do! Should I try to exchange the diamond or am I freaking out for no reason?

If I do need to look for a new diamond, how much smaller will I have to go if I don't want to spend more? And how much smaller can I go before it will look weird in the halo?

Depth - 60.9%
Table - 59%
Crown angle - 32.0
Pavilion angle - 41.8
Culet - 0
Girdle - slightly thick (faceted)

img_3822_0.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You don't have a steep deep.

But you have a 60/60 with a low crown and a pavillion angle that is well.... going to have a lot of leakage.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/60-60-proportioned-diamond

With 60/60 diamonds only those pavilion angle between 40.2 and 41.2 degrees are one that perform well.

So... yes, return the stone. It's a dud. And we can help you find a better one.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results