shape
carat
color
clarity

NY peeps or those that have travelled there

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi there,

We are planning a trip to USA for the festive period and looking at accom in NY/ NYC.
We are with Marriott and hopefully getting to use their facilities. BUT, we are happy to look at ANY recommendations.

We know that it is going to be bloody cold at that time of the year and hopefully we can eliminate as much of outside walking as much as possible.

Our situation and criteria:
1) We will have 2 kids under 4 so 2 rooms are great.
2) Free breakfast is preferred tho not necess... but it makes it easier with the kids
3) close to public transport so that we can get to NYC and also GOG... :Up_to_something:
4) between 150-190/night
5) internet included.

Under the Marriott banner we have located 2 places that sorta fits that description.
1) Fairfield near JFK though it is a bit of a walk from hotel to train station. $169/night
2) farfield Inn and suites Brooklyn ($149/n) but if a walk to train st but closer than 1). I know we will have to get public transport to hotel, but that is going to be cheaper than taxi. I have checked it out and it seems reasonable to use airtrain and Hempstead local train. which is simple enough. This is probably where we are going to stay as it ticks most boxes; except that we dont know the neighbourhood.

Any suggestions/ thoughts will be great... eg that is a terrible place to stay cos of the noise/ rough neighbourhood etc..or a better place cos it is kid friendly and lots of good eating places...

Thanx so much in advance.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We stayed at I think a Sheraton at 52nd and Park? Not really helpful, but we were able to get to the subway fairly easily and grab a taxi fairly easily.

In regards to GOG:
You'll need to get there by taking either the Subway or a Cab to Penn Station and then you need to buy a ticket for the LIRR and take the LIRR to Massapequa Park. You can take a taxi from that station to GOG, or walk to GOG which is about 1/4 mile. With two kids, I'd taxi that. Then arrange for a taxi to pick you back up at the store and take you back over to the station to take the train back. The train ride was about 40 minutes each way.

The only other option is to rent a car and drive out, which with kids might not be unfavorable because then you can control the timeline better.

Have pizza at the little shop next door, I hope it's still there. Bread Co is probably still there but meh. I can get that here (it's hq is here). lol

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
That fairfield inn in brooklyn is not really a convenient location for holiday season interests. What are the dates of your visit? is the $150-190 cost per person? Do kids stay free or are they same cost?
The MArriot Courtyard in Soho rates seem to be per room, not per person, but come in around the high end of your budget, assuming your budget was per person. It is also very convenient to shopping, and subway that goes both to times sq and penn station for your trip to G0G.
Have you considered airb&b? Would that interest you?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NYC hotel rates are obscenely high during the Xmas holiday season, but some dates are a bit better than others. Do you have any flexibility re dates or have you already purchased plane tickets? Either way, I'm happy to help (I am frequently giving a hotel-helping hand on TripAdvisor's NYC forum) if you provide more details.

fyi, only hosted airbnb accommodations -- where the apartment owner/tenant is in residence in the same apt while you are there -- are lawful under NY law. Rentals of less than 30 days are otherwise prohibited in non-hotel buildings.

Also are you thinking you would earn or use your Marriott points during this stay? In the past, Marriott usually hasn't let folks use points for NYC hotel stays during that time of year.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live on Long Island near JFK and commute to Brooklyn daily. You are not going to want to spend all of your holiday time commuting from that area into Manhattan. Firstly the LIRR is expensive. Each round trip per person to the city is about $17. Then you have to add in all the time you will be wasting on the train/subway. Honestly I would spend the extra money and stay at a decent hotel in the city or Brooklyn near Atlantic Terminal and Barclay center. At least then you have really good access to most subway lines and the LIRR to go to GOG. You might also want to check out airbnb for Brooklyn. A lot of people may be out of town and renting their places.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We stayed at the Nu Hotel in Brooklyn 3 weeks ago. The breakfast is minimal -- cereal, bagels, juice & fruit. The location is terrific -- walking distance to the waterfront, subway, restaurants. We even walked into Manhattan. It's spendy but...it's New York. Brooklyn is rockin. I loved it.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, Greg!

Okay, so I grew up in Queens, spent my twenties and early thirties on the Upper West Side, and now live in Park Slope in Brooklyn. Do NOT stay in Queens: it's a nice place to raise a family, but for visitors it's a dead zone. Unless you're a Mets fan, veto. The hotel you're considering in Brooklyn looks nice, just be aware that it will be a schlep of 45 minutes or so to get to most of the midtown holiday activities (the big tree at Rockefeller center, 5th Ave. store windows, Santa at the Macy's on 34th st., etc.). I think it might be worth going to the top of your range to find something in Manhattan proper: there are a slew of hotels around Times Square, which, though it's not my personal favorite area, is definitely central to the action. I think the last time my inlaws were in town they stayed at one on 52nd or so which wasn't in too much of a hubbub for them ... I'll ask them what the rates were like.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
The Fairfield in Brooklyn is within walking distance of where I live. The Gowanus is not a dangerous neighborhood but it is not particularly scenic, either, and it is a bit of a walk to the subway. If your budget is that low during the holiday season, I would second the suggestion to try for a hosted AirBNB accommodation nearer to public transit. I agree, hotels are obscenely expensive around here. Got locked out one night and got a "neighborhood preferred" rate at the very nice Nu Hotel and it was nearly $300 for a single, as I recall! It is in an ideal location, though, for both Brooklyn and Manhattan. Another suggestion: try one of the online discounters, like maybe Expedia or Hotels.com. Do it now. Things sell out at holiday time.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Why would you stay in Brooklyn? The G train is unreliable, the subways are noisy and a madhouse with kids' strollers up and down the stairs. Plus the germs. Staying out by JFK is just :knockout: , it's very industrial out there. The set cab rate from JFK into the Manhattan is $45, but with 4, it's cheaper than taking the subway into the city. Do google streetview all around any hotels you are considering, so you know what's around you.

Have you considered the Residence Inn in Times Square? If you get a room with the kitchenette, you can cook many meals in, and save $$. Rates start at $350 and it's worth squeezing into one room if possible. They usually have free breakfast at Residence Inns, not sure about this one though. Never stayed here, but I like RI, and this one just opened.

Getting out to GOG is a schlep, and a taxi will be $60+ each way. Not sure a car will be much better, but try New Bell, they're a decent service. Try plugging in the addresses into google maps, and click on the bus icon. It will pull up subway routes to get you there.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Try airbnb or VRBO. Renting an apartment is so much better when travelling with kids. Especially little kids. Having a laundry is essential. A kitchen, to make breakfasts especially, but being able to cook a couple of meals or make packed lunches can really help the little ones feel less overwhelmed with always eating out. Depending on how long your trip is, it's a nice break from restaurant food for you too. Having a separate bedroom(s) for the wee ones is wonderful. They go to sleep on time and the adults get to hang out in the living room.
If your girls can share a room, just rent a one bedroom with a sofa bed. Put the girls in the bedroom and you two take the living room. Cheaper that way.
Oh, and take some thick black rubbish bags and painter's tape to put over the bedroom windows so the kids sleep longer. Jet lag+light bedroom=cranky babies.

Look in to renting a car for your trip out to GOG. The prices might not be that much more than train and cab fare, plus you'll set your own schedule, have less transit time, and you can rent carseats from the hire company.

For the plane ride, bring a couple of firm king pillows with you to use as beds. Use a bulky jacket or sweater plus some airline pillows to fill in the kid's seat before resting the king pillow on it and your lap, this way you have created a mini bed for a small child. Buy both kids a seat so you can make two mini beds, one kid's head on your lap, one on your hubby's. Worth it for such a long haul flight. Trust me.
If you have an ipad or similar device, load it up with kid movies and favourite tv shows in case the in-flight entertainment is borked. If you have one for each kid, all the better.
Pack a new toy each and some treats and don't whip them out until you really need them. Even if the older one is toilet trained, put a pull-up on her for the flight, if you're stuck in your seat for a long time because of turbulence, you'll need it. Have the air-sick bags right where you can reach them.
Good luck!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to stay within the Marriott family, see if you can swing the rates at Fairfield Inn & Suites Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station - it includes Internet and breakfast - maybe go with 1 room with 2 double beds if need be? (doubling up so you can afford to stay in Manhattan I think may be less headache/hassle/time than facing all the schlepping around you'd have to do with small kids in tow (in bad weather) if you stayed out by the airport or in Brooklyn) - http://www.marriott.com/hotels/fact...ites-new-york-midtown-manhattan-penn-station/ - it is within walking distance to Pennyslvania Station, aka "Penn Station" (NYC's main inter-city train station, serving AmTrak, LIRR, the Northeast Corridor, NJ Transit, and NYC subway) as well as Madison Square Garden, Macy's, the Empire State Building; and a short subway ride to Rockefeller Center (ice skating, Christmas Tree, shops, sculptures/statues, Radio City Music Hall, etc).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Greg! You have already received lots of good advice but just wanted to add that since you are Marriott members there is a good hotel in downtown brooklyn that is not far from the city. It's the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge. Our families stayed there when we got married in Brooklyn.
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/fact-sheet/travel/nycbk-new-york-marriott-at-the-brooklyn-bridge/

They also have a free shuttle from the hotel to Times Square and they are near a number of trains that will get you right into the city. I don't know the price per room as it depends on when you are going and perhaps you can get a discount being Marriott members. Anyway just wanted to put it out there just in case it was something that might work well for you.

The rates should be less expensive than staying in the city and really not too far away at all. Plus there is a lot to do in Brooklyn as well that you guys might enjoy. Make sure you do the Brooklyn bus tour. That's a lot of fun.

njblinger

Rough_Rock
Hi Greg,

Have you considered Jersey City, on the waterfront? You have access to the ferry that goes into downtown NY, or the ferry that goes to midtown (way west though). The PATH train is very close to the hotels in Jersey City, and it's probably about a 20-30 minute ride into midtown. The view of Manhattan is amazing from the Jersey side!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
THankyou SOOOOOOOOO much guys!!!

APPRECIATE it lots and lots....

So much to consider.....mwah!!!
I realised that i should have included my small itinerary in NY. Dec 21-24
Sadly are only going to be there a total of 4 days, but 2 days are for travelling.... That means i only have 2 days.
Day 1 Proper= Leibish office in NYC.....and I am sure that we can squeeze in central park :) but it will be BLOODY cold so we shall keep touristy thing to indoors.. :)
Night 1 = Mon Dec 22 Probable PS GTG??? any takers?[/b]
Day 2 Proper = GOG

as you can see my purpose to be in NY is for bling!!!!! am i a bad parent?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to clarify... you need accommodations for the 3 nights of Dec. 21, 22, and 23 -- and JFK is definitely the airport you'll be using?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
You are correct. There are 3 nights:
I fly into JFK. Dec 21 mid day
i fly out of la Guardia. Dec 24 mid day

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Is NYC part of a longer trip or are you going from Oz to the US and back in four days?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, good to know that La Guardia is your departure airport! And fortunately, those particular dates are the best in December rate-wise; most international Xmas shoppers have returned home & the New Year's Eve crowd has not yet arrived.

Here's my recommendation, altho' a 2-room suite is a bit higher than your hoped-for target: the Affinia Shelburne at Lexington Avenue & E. 37th Street in Manhattan. Your family of 4 can get a 1-bedroom Deluxe suite -- Deluxe at the Shelburne, be it a studio unit or true 1-bedroom suite, means there is a kitchenette -- with a queen-mattressed sleeper sofa in the living room for those 3 nights for as little as $208/night before taxes, if you choose the Stay More, Save More rate category. (Affinia doesn't usually display the cheapest rate at the top of their search results pages, you'll need to scroll down to see all the rate possibilities.)
http://www.affinia.com/shelburne

Here's why I'm suggesting the Shelburne:
* Affinia is a small NYC-based chain of hotels; their properties are clean, well maintained, well managed

* Given your itinerary, the short period of time you will be here, and the fact that you will be traveling with 2 little ones, staying in "the City" (Manhattan) really makes the most sense

* The Shelburne is 4 blocks from the subway lines at Grand Central Terminal, which is a sightseeing destination in itself & there's a special toy train show there during the holidays. Penn Station (if you're going to take the Long Island Railroad to get to Good Old Gold, which I would recommend in lieu of renting a car ), Leibish @ 576 Fifth Avenue, Times Square, and Rockefeller Plaza are all within a mile or less of the Shelburne.

* Although the Shelburne is well situated, you won't be staying smack-dab amid the horrific holiday congestion that will be engulfing the Times Square-Port Authority, Herald Square, and Rockefeller Center areas.

* The Shelburne is super-convenient to the entryway to the Queens Midtown Tunnel, which any taxi or car service driver would use to get you to LGA.

affinia_shelburne.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
AWESOME Molly Malone!!!

THanx a bunch!!! Flowers: i am cyberly sending to you..... mwah!

Junesmith- yes it is part of a longer trip. I only make trip to NY to see and "maybe" pick up something.... :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: Maybe a little 'O'. IT is a HUGE trip and therefore budget is something that i have to stick to.

Itinery-
HK - 3 days as a stop over
NY- 4 days
Denver CO- 8 days
Salem OR- 5 days
LA- 3 days
HOME. Western Australia.

3 weeks total...

I will sort out a PS GTG soon for NY and hopefully LA as i also want to see something of kennys!!!! A little 'O' in that setting of his..
:Up_to_something: :Up_to_something:
so many things running through my head..... :)

If everything goes to plan, i will do a SMTB reveal when i head home in 2015.....

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pleasure, greg -- I love hotel-sleuthing & I think it's extra fun for out-of-towners to stay in one of the many Manhattan hotels that is not a cookie-cutter chain property. fyi: before making an online booking, it could be worth your while to make the international call to the Affinia Shelburne
http://www.affinia.com/contact
to ask if they "can do better" for you than the rate you're seeing online. Can't promise they will cut the price for you or throw in some free breakfasts during your dates of stay, but they have exhibited some flexibility in the past. Even if you don't make such a call to the hotel, be sure to (a) stress your need for a crib or rollaway cot, if that's desired, and (b) ask for a suite with a view, in the Requests box of the online booking page.

If you like bagels and lox/other smoked fish, Zucker's outpost by Grand Central is imo the best in the area -- and they will deliver to the Shelburne at no additional charge; of course, the delivery guy will expect a tip:
http://www.zuckersbagels.com/menus/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Greg, given that you will be in NYC only a short while I agree with Molly in that staying in Manhattan is your best option. I like her suggestion.

So excited for you for your trip. Sounds like it will be bling and fun filled and you are doing a lot in 3 weeks. Though I wish you were spending more time in NYC!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Say hi to some of my inlaws in Salem.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Say hi to some of my inlaws in Salem.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1414497077|3773768 said:
Hi Greg, given that you will be in NYC only a short while I agree with Molly in that staying in Manhattan is your best option. I like her suggestion!
Agree.
That is a whirlwind trip! Have fun, and pick up something shiny!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Just for future reference I tell friends who want to spend time in NYC to fly into Newark airport, get a hotel near the airport and take the train from the airport into the city. Cheaper and very convenient. 20 mins by train or car from Newark NJ to Manhattan.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
No advice/suggestions, but just wanted to wish you a fabulous trip =)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35, just want to doublecheck - you have made/will make appointments with Leibish and with GOG, right?

If all 4 of you are taking the train to the GOG appointment, fyi: right in that same cluster ("Sunrise Promenade") there is a Panera bakery/restaurant and a Barnes & Noble in case you have time to kill and/or the kids are getting restless during your appointment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results