shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever consider going without makeup for a week?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
missy|1414497872|3773775 said:
I lam enjoying reading all the responses. What I really love is we have the freedom to do what we like regarding wearing makeup or not. That is the true measure of a confident woman IMO. Those of us who wear it much of the time do it for themselves and no one else and same for those who don't.

Not feeling pressured to wear makeup or not as we are at peace with who we are and we do what we do for us. That is what I am getting from the replies here and I love that. We wear makeup when we want to for us and for nobody else. You go girls!

And fwiw I agree wearing makeup the correct way (and less is more IMO) makes us more polished and perhaps less tired looking but sometimes I like just being free of it and letting myself be "naked" so to speak. BUT I don't agree with the poster who compared it to wearing sweatpants in public because that is something I would not do personally. Even if I had the flu lol.

So I guess we all have our personal hot buttons that way and where I have no problem (usually) being without makeup in public I would never be caught wearing anything less than stylish outside even when going to PT!

I would love to see before and afters but I have a feeling most wouldn't want to post those pics...but if anyone was game I would be too. Just don't want to be the only one. :cheeky:

ETA: Momhappy, just read your response about wearing makeup means you take pride in your appearance and I get from that you feel not wearing it means the opposite. If I am wrong about what you meant please ignore as I don't mean to offend but just wanted to clarify for all of us who choose not to wear makeup much of the time. I take pride in my appearance as well and not wearing makeup much of the time doesn't mean I don't take pride in my appearance. I feel good about myself and my appearance either way.

That's my personal opinion - I feel that if I didn't wear makeup, it would mean that I wasn't taking pride in my appearance. Everyone has a different perspective and I can respect that. If someone doesn't wear makeup, it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't take pride in their appearance, but for me, makeup is a priority and an important part of how I take pride in my appearance. Personally, I think that women look better with makeup (small amounts that highlight their best features). I don't feel the need to be "free" of makeup and my face has plenty of opportunity to "breathe" because I don't wear foundation. Again, this really is about personal perspectives/opinions.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1414501587|3773806 said:
Trekkie|1414500067|3773797 said:
I was sort of thinking that perhaps I should wear makeup for a week and see if I am treated any differently...

This would be an interesting study if any non make-up wearers can be persuaded to try this. I am sure the response in the US will be very different than in other countries where makeup isn't the norm. I think it is most likely to be seen as having a positive effect (more attention from males).

Ha! This is going to sound terrible, but I get way too much male attention as it is!

It's not that I think I am particularly attractive - I know I wouldn't get many second looks in the US, for example - but I live in a part of South Africa where my physical features (long hair that didn't come from a catalogue, light skin, busty, full figure i.e. look like a white girl but built like a black girl) are particularly valued.

I'd really like to hear if any women in the US who usually go without makeup could be persuaded to wear it for a week? :D

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hmm, I am not so sure makeup has to do with how much attention one is getting quite honestly. I think in the case of a busty figure, I have the same, what gets more attention is if you are wearing pretty fitted clothing. OTOH,I have had men tell me that are married and know that I am too that I always dress really nice and they loved my style, this is pretty rare though and always appreciated. Men usually do not notice and do not care anyhow. Same with makeup, most are more bothered by it if anything. A few years ago when I was really thin, they used to tell me I looked much younger without makeup, really? Shock. It is often true though. Now I feel the opposite but in all honesty I have just received some photos from the ball I went to last weekend with full makeup of course, I do not look that much different with full makeup. Hence, the photos above are quite right:))) The only difference I notice is longer lashes and more glow to my skin.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1414506069|3773840 said:
Chrono|1414501587|3773806 said:
Trekkie|1414500067|3773797 said:
I was sort of thinking that perhaps I should wear makeup for a week and see if I am treated any differently...

This would be an interesting study if any non make-up wearers can be persuaded to try this. I am sure the response in the US will be very different than in other countries where makeup isn't the norm. I think it is most likely to be seen as having a positive effect (more attention from males).

Ha! This is going to sound terrible, but I get way too much male attention as it is!

It's not that I think I am particularly attractive - I know I wouldn't get many second looks in the US, for example - but I live in a part of South Africa where my physical features (long hair that didn't come from a catalogue, light skin, busty, full figure i.e. look like a white girl but built like a black girl) are particularly valued.

I'd really like to hear if any women in the US who usually go without makeup could be persuaded to wear it for a week? :D

I don't wear makeup, never have. Too much trouble. Hubby says it is the inner beauty that matters most and I really don't care if men look at me or not.
I did notice that all of the other women in the office of software engineers didn't wear makeup either.
The only woman who wore makeup and was dressed to the nines with all of the latest fashion accessories was our administrative secretary. I'd rather spend my money on jewelry :mrgreen:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1414499013|3773787 said:
Elliot86|1414498703|3773783 said:
In terms of taking pride in one's appearance, women who don't wear makeup or blow dry/flat iron their hair/wax their eyebrows seem to exhude more confidence in my eyes. I wish I could pull it off.

Is this because women are conditioned to do this at a very young age, watching their mothers, aunts, cousins, friends and etc do this, hence believing that unless one doesn't wear makeup or blow dry or wax their eye brows, we are somehow not beautiful or polished? I grew up in a family and culture where we did none of these things so to me, I feel normal as I am (with my zits, ache scars, wrinkles and ugly mug) :lol: .

I agree with both of the comments above. I wish I felt secure enough with myself to not put make up on everytime I leave the house. When I look at pictures of my younger self I can't believe I wouldn't go out without makeup. I have always been very lucky with my skin and when I see old pictures I realize it was crazy. I agree with Chrono that so much of our attitudes regarding makeup come from what we see growing up. My mom ALWAYS wore make up. She also made really negative comments about those who did not. I imagine that's has something to do with why I don't feel good without it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can men and/or women tell/see the difference between no makeup (sunscreen doesn't count) and light makeup (BB cream, light powder only, no foundation but with mascara, and the like) on other people?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1414518296|3773952 said:
Can men and/or women tell/see the difference between no makeup (sunscreen doesn't count) and light makeup (BB cream, light powder only, no foundation but with mascara, and the like) on other people?

Yes, I definitely notice...I notice mascara and eyeliner on someone for sure...I notice makeup, even if it's subtle.

One thing I've been doing lately, that nobody would notice, but definitely makes me look better: curling my eyelashes (and not necessarily adding mascara afterwards). It really opens up my eyes. And more if I put mascara on top.

Unfortunately for me, I have to wear foundation if I want to look polished, because otherwise my skin is uneven in tone and somewhat shiny. I have not found a BB cream that I like (although admittedly I've only tried drugstore brands) - either they are fragranced (some have so much fragrance it's unbelievable), the tint is way off in tint/color or darkness, or it just doesn't cover enough (although I realize BB creams are light/subtle...I want some coverage so that it evens me out.)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I honestly think most men are clueless. If you ask most men they will say they hate makeup but every woman they think is hot has it on. My husband to this day thinks most of Hollywood and Raquel Welch look the way they does naturally and with no surgery. We saw Raquel on some TV show. I had to tell him she was the same age as his mom and ask him if his mom looked to be the same age. Most men are clueless on this stuff. I think most woman can tell if someone has make up on. I can, even if its very minimal. Although that probably comes from years and years of wearing make-up. I can't wait to hear everyone elses opinion on this. Great question Chrono!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You are absolutely right on that Callie, most men will notice cherry red or dark purple lips and the like but they are clueless when it comes to natural makeup, plastic surgery, eyelash extensions, fake nails and the like when done well. I have met exceptions to this rule but most think light or even full but natural looking makeup is no makeup.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1414519123|3773960 said:

Yes, I definitely notice...I notice mascara and eyeliner on someone for sure...I notice makeup, even if it's subtle.

One thing I've been doing lately, that nobody would notice, but definitely makes me look better: curling my eyelashes (and not necessarily adding mascara afterwards). It really opens up my eyes. And more if I put mascara on top.

Unfortunately for me, I have to wear foundation if I want to look polished, because otherwise my skin is uneven in tone and somewhat shiny. I have not found a BB cream that I like (although admittedly I've only tried drugstore brands) - either they are fragranced (some have so much fragrance it's unbelievable), the tint is way off in tint/color or darkness, or it just doesn't cover enough (although I realize BB creams are light/subtle...I want some coverage so that it evens me out.)

Curling my eyelashes makes a big difference too but I tend to lose them more frequently when I use the curler. Anyone else have this problem or know of a curler with minimal risk?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
OVincze|1414512758|3773894 said:
Hmm, I am not so sure makeup has to do with how much attention one is getting quite honestly. I think in the case of a busty figure, I have the same, what gets more attention is if you are wearing pretty fitted clothing. OTOH,I have had men tell me that are married and know that I am too that I always dress really nice and they loved my style, this is pretty rare though and always appreciated. Men usually do not notice and do not care anyhow. Same with makeup, most are more bothered by it if anything. A few years ago when I was really thin, they used to tell me I looked much younger without makeup, really? Shock. It is often true though. Now I feel the opposite but in all honesty I have just received some photos from the ball I went to last weekend with full makeup of course, I do not look that much different with full makeup. Hence, the photos above are quite right:))) The only difference I notice is longer lashes and more glow to my skin.

Most men are bothered by makeup :confused: I completely disagree and I would never assume to know what most men like or don't like. Whether or not a man like makeup varies from person to person, place to place, etc. Not to mention the fact that if you also assume that most men don't notice and/or care about makeup, why then would they be bothered by it?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1414519576|3773967 said:
CJ2008|1414519123|3773960 said:

Curling my eyelashes makes a big difference too but I tend to lose them more frequently when I use the curler. Anyone else have this problem or know of a curler with minimal risk?

I baby my lashes and use a heated curler like this:
http://www.lovelyskin.com/o/blinc-heated-lash-curler?lsat=FALL2014&ref=gbase&gclid=COLMwdmD0MECFc1Z7Aodh2IAiw
I'm not sure how it compares to traditional lash curlers (I would guess that it maybe doesn't give as much curl just based on the different mechanical designs), but there's no breakage and/or loss associated with regular use because it doesn't pull/squish/bend the lashes.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My theory is that make-up has very little effect on my interactions with men, but a good deal on my interactions with women. Posters above note that men have a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude towards makeup: I concur (in my experience, dudes will hit on you on the street regardless of what you're wearing on your body or on your face if they, a) are with their bros and doing it for the homosocial bonding, and/or, b) if you're under 25*) (see also, this video: http://www.businessinsider.com/hollaback-new-york-city-street-harassment-2014-10). Women, on the other hand, totally judge other women for being one "type" or another on the basis of what kind of makeup is worn: I've had female friends tell me that at first they didn't think we'd get along because of how I presented myself, and alternately, tell me that theyknew we'd be buds because we were wearing the same lipstick or whatever. And it definitely makes for more attentive sales-people when one looks conventionally successful, which, for the ladies, does include some make-up as a part of "grooming."

(Agree, btw, that it's absurd how heavily weighted it is for a female audience, but I think the gentlemen are missing out; there's a lot of fun to be had with an outrageous palette! The Patriarchy Hurts All of Us (TM).)

As for me ... I wear makeup pretty much every day, but more to accentuate my already strong features as opposed to minimizing "flaws." I have strong brows that I don't pluck besides getting rid of strays, but which I do fill in with a little powder; full lips that do a much better job of balancing my brows (and nose!) when they're mulberry-colored than they do in their natural state. I figure it goes with my general life philosophy: after all, I'm also the one with the knuckleduster rings and the platform shoes. Might as well be consistent!

*As an aside, I think this sort of behavior is based much more on perceived vulnerability than anything else, even attractiveness. I started getting "attention" on the streets when I was 12, and it tapered off significantly once I hit, say, 22. I say this in all modesty: I was much hotter at that point. It was definitely about being perceived as an easier target rather than as a quantitative assessment of how well-kept I was, how provocatively I dressed, etc., etc., etc.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I find it interesting that makeup is being associated with insecurity. I don't feel particularly insecure (no more than what I would consider normal anyways). I don't wear makeup because I'm insecure with my "natural" appearance. I wear makeup for lots of reasons (it's fun, it's feminine, it enhances my features, it makes me look younger, it makes me look less tired, etc., etc,. etc.). If a woman chooses not to wear makeup, that's fine too, but I don't look at her and assume that she must be 100% secure/confident with herself. I don't envy someone who goes bare-faced, but I don't begrudge them for it either.
One could argue that women who wear makeup are more secure because one might assume that makeup sometimes attracts attention, so if a woman is wearing it, then she must be confident/comfortable enough to deal with the attention (from men and women) ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie- you are very welcome!

I don't find men really notice much of a difference when I am wearing makeup as opposed to going barefaced (I like the way that sounds :naughty: ). I agree with Circe that women notice these things more than most men in my experience. I don't want to sound vain or anything but I often get compliments whether it is for my clothing or hair etc. I never had anyone say ooh your eye makeup is so pretty or I love that shade of lipstick of course re the lipstick that is mainly because I never wear lipstick. Hate the way that feels and looks on my lips. Just never looked right on me IMO. I have had people compliment me on my skin and complexion but those are mainly women too.

I didn't even start wearing any makeup till my mid twenties believe it or not and that goes to what Chrono wrote. My role model for makeup and other things in life while growing up were my mother and she rarely wore makeup either. To this day she doesn't and my sister doesn't either and I think they are both beautiful women. On the inside and out. In fact I wear more makeup than they ever did but compared to many women that is still very little.

So while I never wore makeup during my most active dating life I never had a problem in that department and I know many men appreciated not getting lipstick all over their lips because they told me so. Perhaps that is what some of the posters meant when they wrote some men are more bothered by women wearing it than not?

Anyway my point is that there is no right or wrong. If it makes you feel better about yourself wear it happily but it doesn't mean you are more or less confident. Sure you may be but that is your particular issue. One cannot extrapolate to the general population but rather just relay their personal experiences which we are all doing here.

I find it interesting how some posters always respond in a defensive manner no matter the topic or thread. No reason to be defensive. And personally I never ever judge a book by its cover and would not use wearing makeup or not as a basis to start a friendship. Some of my friends love wearing makeup and wear bold colors and some wear it occasionally (like me) and some never wear it. That's all cool in my book. As long as you are happy with who you are what does it matter what you wear and how you look?

And don't get me wrong. I enjoy making a statement with makeup as much as any girly girl because trust me I am a girly girl. :kiss: I just use makeup in a more discriminatory manner than most I think. And when I am "all made up" it is still pretty minimal (I never use foundation and wouldn't even know how) though I love doing dramatic eyes which I can easily do since I am not wearing lipstick.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a guy and I like it when women are natural, sans makeup.
But of course it would be rude to show that to a woman wearing makeup since my goal is to respect diversity and everyone's freedom to look as they please.
But then, being gay, women are not my gender of 'interest', so to speak.

That said I am still a product of my culture.
Of course I recognize when a woman appears closer to our culture's idea of beauty, which seems to be appearing to be peak reproductive age.
It just doesn't trigger the reaction in me that it does in a straight guy.

Ideal beauty in distant parts of the globe is VERY different from ours.
You won't see their kind of makeup on the cover of Vogue, and the West's ideal makeup style would not be appreciated in those distant locations.

I think the appreciation of the beauty of a sunset or a panorama of fall foliage are natural and universal, perhaps even genetic.
But the beauty of a woman who is achieving a culturally-determined standard using well-applied makeup is more arbitrary than universal, natural or absolute.

I realize I'm in a tiny minority but I wish our culture accepted and valued everyone's natural appearance, with all the variation and evidence of the passage of time, instead of fighting time and nature and striving to look peak reproductive age our entire lives ... but again to each their own.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

That's a good question and I suppose that I can only speak for myself. I would think that some men (especially those in relationships/marriages with women who regularly wear makeup) can tell the difference between no makeup and light makeup because they can see the changes in appearance (however slight) on their SO. I can tell if a woman is wearing light makeup (probably because that's what I wear on most days), but maybe women who don't wear makeup at all, have trouble telling the difference between little and none?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband has repeatedly said he likes the fact that I don't need to wear makeup. But as a test I pointed out some women (who I knew were wearing some degree of makeup (like light foundation, brows done) and he thought they were ALSO not wearing makeup.
So I think a many men, as long as the makeup is subtle (no bright red lipstick) they consider that au natural.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, I can tell the difference, even if it is a light application of BB cream or just mascara (people with light hair do not have dark lashes naturally) or any other product, because I am used to seeing bare faces. On some days, I wear BB cream but my DH has not said anything. I'll have to ask him myself tonight if he ever notices the days I put it on for a big meeting at work. :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1414529577|3774036 said:
For me, I can tell the difference, even if it is a light application of BB cream or just mascara (people with light hair do not have dark lashes naturally) or any other product, because I am used to seeing bare faces. On some days, I wear BB cream but my DH has not said anything. I'll have to ask him myself tonight if he ever notices the days I put it on for a big meeting at work. :))

Yes, I can tell the difference too. Even if a woman looks "natural" I can tell if she is wearing makeup. I am not sure if my dh can tell though and he compliments me whether I am wearing makeup or not.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1414528420|3774027 said:
But of course it would be rude to show that to a woman wearing makeup since my goal is to respect diversity and everyone's freedom to look as they please.

Of course I recognize when a woman appears closer to our culture's idea of beauty, which seems to be appearing to be peak reproductive age.

You won't see their kind of makeup on the cover of Vogue, and the West's ideal makeup style would not be appreciated in those distant locations.

I think the appreciation of the beauty of a sunset or a panorama of fall foliage are natural and universal, perhaps even genetic.
But the beauty of a woman who is achieving a culturally-determined standard using well-applied makeup is more arbitrary than universal, natural or absolute.

I realize I'm in a tiny minority but I wish our culture accepted and valued everyone's natural appearance, with all the variation and evidence of the passage of time, instead of fighting time and nature and striving to look peak reproductive age our entire lives ... but again to each their own.

hahahaha, THAT'S why you think women enjoy wearing makeup?

I'm 53. I bought my first eyeshadow compact when I was 11. I wasn't trying to look 25 then, nor am I now. I buy and wear makeup for the same reason you buy and wear diamonds. Because I like it and it's fun.

I don't think about your or any other person's personal preference for faces - bare, made-up, whatever - when I put my eyeliner on every morning. I don't judge other women by whether or not they wear makeup. While it's part of my overall grooming regimen, I don't think a woman needs to wear any to be properly groomed. In fact, better to go bare than have messy makeup, in my opinion. (I feel the same way about hair and nails. Either go gray or dye frequently. No roots! And clean bare nails are much better than last week's expensive manicure that is now chipped. Which is not to say I think you're a bad person if you "let yourself go," I just find you a bit sloppy, LOL.)

Earlier on, someone asked if those of us who wore makeup every day wore it to the gym. I do not. If I haven't yet applied makeup for the day and I'm going to the beach or out for some kind of exercise - anything that's going to require a shower when I'm done - I'll wait until after the shower to put on makeup.

edited to add: What is BB cream?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
chrono said:

Weeeeelllll ... sometimes we do. I'm a blonde with black eyebrows and eyelashes. When I was a little kid they called me a mutant for it. ;/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maria D said:

I'm 53. I bought my first eyeshadow compact when I was 11. I wasn't trying to look 25 then, nor am I now. I buy and wear makeup for the same reason you buy and wear diamonds. Because I like it and it's fun.

I don't think about your or any other person's personal preference for faces - bare, made-up, whatever - when I put my eyeliner on every morning. I don't judge other women by whether or not they wear makeup. While it's part of my overall grooming regimen, I don't think a woman needs to wear any to be properly groomed. In fact, better to go bare than have messy makeup, in my opinion. (I feel the same way about hair and nails. Either go gray or dye frequently. No roots! And clean bare nails are much better than last week's expensive manicure that is now chipped. Which is not to say I think you're a bad person if you "let yourself go," I just find you a bit sloppy, LOL.)

Earlier on, someone asked if those of us who wore makeup every day wore it to the gym. I do not. If I haven't yet applied makeup for the day and I'm going to the beach or out for some kind of exercise - anything that's going to require a shower when I'm done - I'll wait until after the shower to put on makeup.

I agree completely.
And I think BB cream is Burt's Bees cream? Not sure...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BB means beauty balm. CC means color correcting.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maria D|1414530075|3774038 said:

I never said the reason women wear makeup is because they 'enjoy' it.
I didn't even say that women enjoy it.

I seems reasonable that each woman wears makeup to look closer to how she wants to look, and usually that is to appear a bit closer to whatever their culture's ideal is.
Our culture's ideal to look closer to how women look during their peak reproductive years.
Even if a woman is at peace with her age and does not want to look 18, that does not mean her culture's ideal is not based on that goal.
It is the elephant in the room.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Oh, go ahead and shoot me.
I'm used to it. :wink2:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1414531926|3774057 said:

I seems reasonable that each woman wears makeup to look closer to how she wants to look, and usually that is to appear a bit closer to whatever their culture's ideal is.
Our culture's ideal to look closer to how women look during their peak reproductive years.

You think you have "the message" but I don't agree that you do. Women don't wear makeup to look like they are 25, any more than people get tattoos to look like they are 25.

I don't wear make up to look "closer to" anything. I wear it because I enjoy everything about it - buying it, experimenting with it, how it feels on my face, how I look in the mirror. Do you wear diamond rings so that your hand looks "closer to" how you want it to look? And how is that - engaged? married? more sparkly? And would that be because the cultural ideal is to be married and sparkly? If that sounds ridiculous, that's how your thinking (about makeup) sounds to me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maria, I apologize for being such a prolific editor, but I added this sentence after you quoted my last post: "Even if a woman is at peace with her age and does not want to look 18, that does not mean her culture's ideal is not based on that goal."

The skin of most 18 year olds looks a certain way.
Makeup can help everyone's skin look closer to that.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maria D|1414532464|3774062 said:

You think you have "the message" but I don't agree that you do. Women don't wear makeup to look like they are 25, any more than people get tattoos to look like they are 25.

I don't wear make up to look "closer to" anything. I wear it because I enjoy everything about it - buying it, experimenting with it, how it feels on my face, how I look in the mirror. Do you wear diamond rings so that your hand looks "closer to" how you want it to look? And how is that - engaged? married? more sparkly? And would that be because the cultural ideal is to be married and sparkly? If that sounds ridiculous, that's how your thinking (about makeup) sounds to me.

I think Kenny's right - we're none of us existing in a vacuum. Individually, no, I have no ambition to look like a fertile 18 year old. But when "conventional beauty" tends to emphasize the same markers as chronological youth ... it's hard to deny. When I shave my legs or redden my lips, I'm doing things that please me aesthetically, but I'm a product of my culture.

Honestly, I think we'd all be better off if we could split the difference ... men get more freedom for the fun makeup, women get less pressure for the boring kind. :twisted:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

BB Cream stands for Beauty Balm. It has been a popular product in Asian markets for years, but the majority of larger beauty brands have introduced it into the Western markets. It is considered to be an all-in-one facial product (serum, moisturizer, primer, foundation, & SPF) and it can be worn alone or with make-up. Most women feel that it is "lighter" than traditional makeup, but still offers a bit of color and/or coverage.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1414532893|3774066 said:
Maria D|1414532464|3774062 said:

I think Kenny's right - we're none of us existing in a vacuum. Individually, no, I have no ambition to look like a fertile 18 year old. But when "conventional beauty" tends to emphasize the same markers as chronological youth ... it's hard to deny. When I shave my legs or redden my lips, I'm doing things that please me aesthetically, but I'm a product of my culture.

Honestly, I think we'd all be better off if we could split the difference ... men get more freedom for the fun makeup, women get less pressure for the boring kind. :twisted:

I agree and I, too, am a product of my culture. Even though I very much enjoy wearing makeup, part of what I enjoy is how it makes me look. That look (IMO) is associated with youthfulness, so even though I'm not striving to look like an 18 year-old, I still strive to a standard of beauty that worships youthfulness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results