shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you rather a 1ct RBC or a .79ct AVR?

For the same price in an Art Deco halo, would you rather a:

• 1.03ct MRB SI2 K

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • .79 AVR SI1 K

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

hidingpearl

Rough_Rock
Would you rather get a 1.03ct MRB or a .79ct AVR of same colour, clarity and rough price? My ring size is 6.5-7, and the setting would be something along the lines of http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/shop/designers/beverley-k/products/beverley-k-round-halo-engagement-ring-with-pave-diamond-details or http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/102PP1/

I've been intensely searching for an AVR for many months and I'm starting to get quite upset that it's taking so long. I've even tried the custom cut route, but that just isn't getting any results. I know my budget (sub $3500) can get me a stone around .9ct in the K/L VS2/SI1 range, but there hasn't been any appropriate loose stones available to recut in that size. I've gotten to the stage where I think I'm trying to convince myself a MRB is the best option. There are FAR more stones to choose from out there, and I can get more size for my budget. I have tried vintage OECs but I really do want a good performing stone and OECs can be pretty risky. I've put this JA stone on hold for analysis when I find a further 2 stones to compare: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.03-carat-k-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-368841 I know it only scored a 2.5 on the HCA, but with my budget I am willing to have a tiny bit of leakage.

To help you all a bit further, this is ideally what I want in my engagement ring:
-Halo
-Balanced centre diamond to halo ratio with good finger coverage
-Antique inspired halo setting, with the centre stone bezel set. Milgrain.
-Platinum
-I am willing to consider a modern 14kt rose gold halo for a warmer centre stone (e.g. L/M) if it looks ok.
-Centre stone I-K. colour. I haven't seen any diamonds warmer than a K, so I'm not sure if I should consider an M colour, I'm worried it would be too yellow.
-Wedding band to sit flush

At the diamond sizes I'm looking at, I don't even know how obvious the difference between an AVR and a MRB is anyway, so I might be better off just choosing the larger option with my budget. I have never seen an AVR in person (only OECs) and there's a chance I might not even love them as much as I think I do. I don't live in the USA so having a stone shipped to me isn't an option.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Naturally I voted AVR. I can handle lower color in an antique cut than I can a modern cut. Somehow a tint just looks more fitting to me in an old cut. Plus the AVR has better clarity.

I love BK settings, especially the first one. I am sure you know that GOG carries BK. Those halos with airlines will certainly give you a lot of finger presence, and I think an AVR will look so much better in them than a modern cut. You do have to be sure you're okay with K color, though, as I would think you'd see at least a little tint next to a white metal and diamond halo. I would not go lower than K. With lower colors (below J), you can go with rose gold when the diamond has more of a brown tint and yellow gold when the diamond has more of a yellow tint. I don't think that yellowish diamonds always look all that great in rose gold.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like OECs in person? You said you have seen some? Buying an OEC isn't risky if you stick to a reputable vendor like Grace at Jewels by Grace, Erica at Love Affair Diamonds and Adam at OWD. I know that both Grace and Erica are getting new things in, so email them and ask if they have anything new that would suit, a well cut genuine OEC is going to be just as nice (nicer IMHO) than a average cut RB.

At that size you will notice a difference in the cut pattern. The .79 is a much better cut, cleaner stone than the RB you are looking at, I think it would look great in the halo that you like.

hidingpearl

Rough_Rock
I do like OECs in person, and even the ones I saw in person I don't think were the best performing stones out there. I love the tall crown and the dancing bold flashes of fire. The one thing I don't really like about MRBs is the tiny splintery appearance of the sparkle - I can appreciate the sparkly beauty, but I don't think it's my preference. I do think I would regret getting a MRB after all of the research that I have put towards old cuts. But at the same token, I'm wondering if I would prefer size over cut style- realistically in every day wear, I think I would notice size over cut patten because my hands aren't usually held a foot away from my face. But I have to remember not to be greedy and want big big big all the time! I'm a very modest person and I don't think a big diamond would suit my style.

Diamondseeker - you have me worried about a K now. Do you think I should perhaps investigate an H or and I instead? I thought maybe the warm colour would complement the antique setting, but I don't want it to be obviously tinted or murky. I could probably afford H or I colours in the .8ct range if GOG could find a stone to custom cut, or if JBG or LAD had some in. ArkieB that's a great suggestion to contact JBG and LAD. I had my worries that their stones might not perform as well as AVRs, but hopefully that's not the case :)

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
hidingpearl|1414471525|3773709 said:
I could probably afford H or I colours in the .8ct range if GOG could find a stone to custom cut, or if JBG or LAD had some in. ArkieB that's a great suggestion to contact JBG and LAD. I had my worries that their stones might not perform as well as AVRs, but hopefully that's not the case :)
I'm in a very similar situation to you--I know I prefer the AVR facet pattern, but the GoG stock just doesn't seem to have a diamond that ticks all of the boxes. For what it's worth, I saw a few OECs from Grace a few weeks ago and they were really, really beautiful diamonds so I don't think you have to worry about quality. I don't think there's any sort of upgrade or trade in policy though, if that's something that matters to you.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own a few old cuts and owned a .99 AVC, don't get me wrong the AVC was a stunning stone but the genuine old cuts I own are pretty darn nice as well, it's really a matter of being selective about what you pick if you go for a genuine vintage stone. Email all of them and ask. GOG also have some decent old cuts in from time to time as well, so email and ask everyone.

Other than that it sounds to me like you would prefer a OEC, so I personally would be on the hunt either for a nice decent looking OEC or a white facing I/J coloured AVR in size that suits your budget. The halo you have picked with an OEC (genuine or an AVR) will make a really lovely ring.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, if you love the facet pattern and chunky personality of the OEC/AVR I say go for it. Totally different than an MRB. And like DS the lower colors just seem to work in an OEC. I could never handle a lower color than G in an MRB but I have an L OEC and it is beautiful and perfectly white face up to me.

I would not personally halo it because the color difference would bother me b/w the halo diamonds and the OEC. However some here love that contrast and there rings are beautiful. Another option would be to have a non diamond bezel halo where there would be no complication of the different color diamonds.

Good luck with your decision!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1414480545|3773738 said:
I own a few old cuts and owned a .99 AVC, don't get me wrong the AVC was a stunning stone but the genuine old cuts I own are pretty darn nice as well, it's really a matter of being selective about what you pick if you go for a genuine vintage stone. Email all of them and ask. GOG also have some decent old cuts in from time to time as well, so email and ask everyone.

Other than that it sounds to me like you would prefer a OEC, so I personally would be on the hunt either for a nice decent looking OEC or a white facing I/J coloured AVR in size that suits your budget. The halo you have picked with an OEC (genuine or an AVR) will make a really lovely ring.

I agree with arkieb1...I think you should be on the look out for nice OEC (as well as keeping your eye on GOG AVR stock). There
are some beautiful OECs on PS that I would jump at if given the choice between them or a MRB.

Have you looked at MY Diamond Zone on ebay. He usually has some nice stones and PSers have been to visit his shop before in
Chicago I believe. See if he has any in stock that fit your bill.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Loose-Diamonds-Gemstones-/491/m.html?item=171517903970&hash=item27ef438462&pt=Loose_Diamonds&_ssn=mydiamondzone

BTW - love the settings you picked!

Edit - this is pretty but probably not big enough for you
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OLD-TRANSITIONAL-CUT-DIAMOND-K-VS1-EGL-USA-CERT-ROUND-ENGAGEMENT-6-1mm-/400796191652?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item5d51508ba4

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would rather have a smaller stone of higher color and clarity regardless. If I am going AVR I can go with a J-K for the antique look and feel, but either way the clarity wouldn't be my cup of tea below a VS. I wouldn't want to drop quality that much to max out size.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd rather get a larger 1 ct old cut than a smaller avr.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a size whore.

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
Any chance you'll upgrade in the future? You could get one of the lifetime guaranteed 1ct MRBs from GOG, and then later switch it for a similar sized AVR.

But I'd probably go with the smaller AVR myself as I've no interest in MRBs. And I hear what the others are saying about getting a non-branded old cut, but I've learned that it's good to be able to change my mind -- lifetime guarantee lets you do that more comfortably. That's just me though. I'm indecisive.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1414511091|3773881 said:
I'm a size whore.
Right. Same.

Plus I think a well cut genuine old cut is more "bang for your buck" when we are talking 3500...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would still use GOG if you want an old cut. He can access the same suppliers of antique stones that the others can, and he provides more info on the cut/leakage, etc. You would be hard pressed to find an antique stone with the light performance of an AVR, but certainly if you search hard (or rather let Jon!), you can find one that is beautiful. That said, there aren't a plentiful supply of antique stones in I or higher color, either. But what would be ideal is to have Jon source a couple of good prospects for you and then compare them in video to the AVR and simply see what you like best! When I was looking, I honestly did not find retail prices that much lower on antique stones of similar color and size which is part of the reason I went with the AVR. But I really didn't find one with GIA I or higher color that had excellent cut in the size I wanted, either. Sometimes you have to wait to find an old one.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With your budget, you can easily find a beautiful 1ct+ antique OEC that's beautifully cut. Especially if you're willing to consider K/L color range. Though it's not one of the options you listed, that would be my choice, followed by a smaller AVR, with RBC last. But obviously I'm biased. :)

For old cut vendors, be sure to check out finished rings too - sometimes a seller will be willing to unmount a stone and sell it loose!

Good luck with your search! - you have a great budget to get a beautiful ring!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I voted AVR or OEC.
You have been given some great advice from many posters above that have experience in both styles and where to source them. i agree with getting GOG to source some for you as they will do all kind of optical tests on it to show you if the stone is a performer or not to your liking. THere are other vendors- Grace/ LAD/erikawinters/CVB etc. out there that can source stones, too. YOUR eyes are the only ones that can tell you if THAT stone is the one.

I like what you have decided for the setting (milgrain/halo etc) and i think an OEC would be really nice. With budget in mind, I think getting H/I/J colour might be the better way to go if you do not like to see much tint. CUT is king. I think with antique cut diamonds (including AVR), they tend to hold the colour more and to me that is a good thing. I agree with your sentiments on the older cuts... the slower, broader flashes of the antique cut stones. I also like the lower/ warmer colour of these stones. to me, it is the added romanticism of yesteryear. i automatically think the era of Louis XIV/ marie antionette.....SWOON...

Good luck with the search.. of course, post pics when you get them. We like to drool... and help of course.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
ame said:
I would rather have a smaller stone of higher color and clarity regardless. If I am going AVR I can go with a J-K for the antique look and feel, but either way the clarity wouldn't be my cup of tea below a VS. I wouldn't want to drop quality that much to max out size.
Ditto!

hidingpearl

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much. I won't mention you all individually, but all of your replies were so incredibly helpful. It has given me clarity that my heart indeed lies with the old cuts! I will definitely broaden my search to include old OECs. Tyty333 those eBay stones are alright actually, the videos are helpful but nothing immediately strikes my eye at this stage.

Greg - your little story made me smile and all warm inside. How romantic are old cut stones! :love:

Erica - You really think I could get a lovely cut OEC 1ct+ with my budget?! That's amazing - I'm emailing you now :)

I will keep you all posted! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results