shape
carat
color
clarity

Coffee lovers... would you pay $349 for this machine?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Now, that's a coffee bar! And in time for the Holiday season! Congratulations! Can't wait to read your coffee reviews next :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So how was your first Sunday morning with the Vertuoline?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I promised an update but I can't load any damn pics! I will do it tomorrow from work because I'm always able to post pics from there, but only sometimes from my phone and pretty much never from my home computer now that I have some uber angry anti-virus thing installed.

Sorry for the delay... let's just say I've had a lovely little caffeine buzz going all weekend! If I could find a drink that somehow combined the output from my Nespresso with Prosecco I think I'd die from sheer joy!!! :lickout:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, let's give this another try!

Here's the first cup o' Joe coming out of the magic machine!

coffee1.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Delicious frothy vanilla milk... yum!

coffee2.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possibly a little over zealous with the big mountain of foam...

coffee3.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But once it's all mixed in... Perfection!!!

coffee4.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So now for more information and not just pretty pictures!

The "crema" on top of the coffee isn't really crema, which I expected based on the reviews, but I was surprised by just how MUCH of it there is. And if you some managed to pull the cup out before it gave the last spurts of "foam" it probably would be more crema-ish, but as it is if you just mix it a bit it's totally fine. I think the espresso will produce real creama but I haven't tried that yet because I've been so enamored of the big cups of coffee to this point. That will be a project for next weekend!

The milk frother can make it either hot or cold and it has two settings, one foamier (which is what the pics are from) and one more just steamed and less foamy. I actually prefer that second option but of course I had to try them both!

The real beauty of this for me is once you get past the top layer (crema, foam, whatever) the coffee still has a marvelous texture to it that regular coffee lacks. I also used 1% milk* and I think if I used whole milk that would even be better from a texture standpoint.

*I got shelf-stable vanilla milk which was a little sweet but not too sweet (I didn't use any sugar with mine but the CB likes his coffee sweeter in general so I'm sure that wasn't enough for him). I think I'm going to try sweetened almond milk next just for variety.

The pics BTW were taken in my master bathroom because my kitchen is "under construction" (as has been the case since June when the great flood came through... ). One day though I will have a kitchen I can put my marvelous new coffee maker in and all will be good in the kindgom!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you use whole milk, the foam should be less stiff.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN, thank you for that info! I am not really a foam sort of girl so I was wondering if there was a way to tone it down.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Dee*Jay that looks DELICIOUS.

Just for reference is it better than say, a just freshly brewed cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts. And actually, how is it different from a cup I could get at Dunkin Donuts? Is it just the texture? Is it stronger?

(this may seem like a really silly question but I am just trying to get an idea how good the coffee is based on the coffee I know...I happen to like DD, hate Starbucks...)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, my search here is all about texture, not just flavor. The crema layer on top is like velvet on your tongue. REALLY. And the coffee/espresso itself, once you get past the crema, is almost *thick* (but not... I can't adequately explain it... ). The whole experience gets better the higher the fat content in the milk you use. Expresso with half and half... OMG. I have this every afternoon in my office and everyone knows not to disturb me while I am swooning over this exquisite concoction...!

About DD and Starbucks... I like Starbucks coffee (hell, I met my last husband in a Starbucks!) but the coffee is just flavored water, no texture. DD, I am not a fan (blasphemy, I know!). I also don't like McDonalds coffee, although I know some peopl adore it!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Dee*Jay...

Ok - I think I'm going to have find someone that owns one and taste this coffee myself! It really does look so good.

"Creamy" coffee is so delicious...I've had coffee like that a few times in my life...(I think cuban coffee is like this?) could never reproduce at home, of course.

I feel like not liking Starbucks is blasphemy! (always tastes burnt to me) And yes, I agree that these coffees (ETA DD or Starbucks, etc.) have no texture at all...

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Deejay for posting your experience with this. I have never been a really big expresso fan, only because I mostly make my coffee at home. If I ordered expresso at a coffee place would it have the same crema y mentioned? I would really like to experience the delightful concoction you have every afternoon! I love my coffee dearly. Life would not be good for me without it. Seriously. I watched the Breville videos on their machines and they look fabulous! I am a big Breville fan anyway, but it gave me an idea of the crema you mentioned. I just didnt know if it was a product of expresso in general or the kind of maker you have at work.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay:

I believe the Aeroccino turns itself off when it reaches a certain temperature. So you may be able reduce the time that the whisk is spinning by zapping your milk in the microwave. Also warmer milk won't foam as much, so I think it should work. The milk should not be hot, just slighty warm. I'd probably try 20 seconds in the microwave.

When you use the steaming whisk instead of the frothing whisk, does the steamed milk expand in volume compared to before it started? If any, by about how much?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, do you have an Illy or Intelligentsia near you? You could try getting an espresso there (in lieu of Starbucks) and see what the crema layer is all about. Maybe you'll become a convert!

Luv, I think the crema is a product of the way the water is forced through the grounds at a very high pressure, so it would occur with any machine that does this. The goal of the Nespresso I bought was to get this crema but in a bigger size. (And again, with the coffee I'm not getting true crema, but it's a close approximation.)

JulieN, thank you for the tip about the aeroccino and temperature. For some reason I thought it just turned on for a certain period of time, but I’ll look into it more and see if I can get it to run a shorter period of time by zapping the milk. Regarding the volume of the milk, if I use the frother the volume pretty much doubles but if I use the steamer the volume goes up by about 20-30% so the steamer is the way to go. It wasn’t an exact comparison because I used the frother on 1% vanilla milk at home and I just used the steamer here in the office with 2% milk, but I do think the steamer will generally produce a lot less volume. You are a wealth of knowledge on this – are you a coffee aficionado?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20-30% expansion is nice. thanks, good to know.

Oh, I'm just a nerd with too much time on my hands. I used to have an entry level espresso machine and did a lot of research before buying one.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1414504173|3773823 said:
CJ, do you have an Illy or Intelligentsia near you? You could try getting an espresso there (in lieu of Starbucks) and see what the crema layer is all about. Maybe you'll become a convert!

No :((

But we're taking a trip to NYC soon and that is now on my list of things to do! :cheeky:

Thanks!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, there are four Nespresso cafe locations in NY, maybe you will come across one and you can pop in and try some things!

JulieN, I understand the concept of doing research before you buy something, and after too because I always learn more once I've got something in front of me that I can experiment with hands-on. I'll try using warmed up milk this weekend and let you know if the expansion is any different than the cold that I used today.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just did a map search...so any of those stores actually serve the coffee, too, right?

Between the Intelligentsia and the Nespresso...which one would you recommend I try, if we only do one?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
There is very good Nespesso on Madison avenue, east 60's, right near Fred Leighton... :)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, the Nespresso BOUTIQUES serve beverages. Make sure you aren't going to a store that just sells the machines/pods/etc. (like Bloomingdales or Macy's). We have two of them here in Chicago that I have yet to visit, but I will do it soon! As for Illy, all Illy cafes serve beverages, just make sure you aren't looking at stores that sell Illy products. Honestly, it's probably six of one, half dozen of another for which one to go to so go with whatever is more convenient for you. And RandG said the one by Fred Leighton is good!

RandG, next time I'm in NY I'm going to that one!!!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
It's the absolute best people watching in the city... right near Hermes too :)

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
And you have to tell me, did you order the Cuban coffee pods?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG, I haven't ordered them yet because I am trying to get through all the sample flavors they gave me first and then I can order several things at one time. But they are definitely on the list!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing the pics, DeeJay - looks so yummy. Now you've got me thinking that I need one too!!! :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow it looks delicious Dee*Jay! Yum! :lickout:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the pics Dee*Jay.
Looks delish!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy, I agree that you need one too!

junebug, if you are a coffee drinker this is a thing to behold!

Kenny, when you come to visit I promise to try to corrupt you into the world of "fancy coffee" as the CB likes to call it, ha ha!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay, the pics are great, thank you! That coffee looks amazing, I'm drooling here and its 90 degrees today in Arizona!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results