So go for it.....
Think you really want it!!! And the price is very good.... :D

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AGREED!

liao

Shiny_Rock
thx, I think I'll grab that stone. In case I love the stone, I think I will submit the stone to GIA. Do you think they will check whether the cat's eye is a true eye effect or one leg of star sapphire?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Save your money!

This vendor is one of the few I know which I trust 100 % - next to www.rarestone.com or some vendors here in Europe who are scientists.

If he says it is a real cateye it is.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck and hope you'll love it! I think the AGL brief will cost less than a GIA report.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1414388339|3773198 said:
Save your money!

This vendor is one of the few I know which I trust 100 % - next to www.rarestone.com or some vendors here in Europe who are scientists.

If he says it is a real cateye it is.

wow, how many transaction has you done with thegemtrader? you seems to trust him from the bottom of your heart :)

Chrono|1414411317|3773248 said:
Good luck and hope you'll love it! I think the AGL brief will cost less than a GIA report.

How reliable is AGL? I never send any stone to them despite the fact that some of my stones are AGL cert. U know... I just move to NYC two months ago :wavey: Most of my stones are SSEF and Gubelin cert

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGL is a highly respected coloured stone lab in the US, leading the discovery of new gem treatments and even detecting those missed by GIA. I put them on the same shelve as SSEF and Gubelin.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Edward Bristol|1414411795|3773251 said:
Theoretically you can find star sapphires with anything between 1 and 12 legs.

A cat's eyes sapphire would be a 'normal' six-ray star with 4 missing legs.

Or just as true, a normal six ray star sapphire would be a cat's eye sapphire with three eyes crossed.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1414464040|3773673 said:
AGL is a highly respected coloured stone lab in the US, leading the discovery of new gem treatments and even detecting those missed by GIA. I put them on the same shelve as SSEF and Gubelin.

and they only charge 405-1035 for a report w/ origin? Now I felt like I have been overpaying ssef and gubelin :errrr:
can they identify a rare stone such as russian origin alexandrite?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Per their website, AGL has the capability of identifying country of origin for alexandrite.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1414467160|3773692 said:
Per their website, AGL has the capability of identifying country of origin for alexandrite.

yeah, but how about russian origin alex? As far as I know, the only lab which have the knowledge and ball to draw this conclusion is SSEF. I'm not sure about GRS tho, I do not really like GRS at all :silenced:

I think I will give them a call either tomorrow or Wednesday

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
liao|1414467994|3773699 said:
Chrono|1414467160|3773692 said:

yeah, but how about russian origin alex? As far as I know, the only lab which have the knowledge and ball to draw this conclusion is SSEF. I'm not sure about GRS tho, I do not really like GRS at all :silenced:

I think I will give them a call either tomorrow or Wednesday

You could buy "Russian Alexandrite" from Dr. Karl Schmetzer - there are differences in the content of Germanium and Gallium ( don't remember exactly) and other elements ( tin?) .

And yes - I trust some vendors from the bottom of my heart course they know what they sell and i know what I buy.

Your cateye is to cheap to send it to a lab - trust him and talk to him - he will give you all the informations you need. But this is my opinion.

liao

Shiny_Rock
I have to agree that AGL is on a par with SSEF and gubelin. I sent 4 stones to AGL. I was told that the waiting queue is 3 - 3 1/2 weeks, but I got it back in a week! 4 color shift chrysoberyl: yellow to brown, greenish yellow to orange, bluish green to orange, and brownish green to brownish purple. The first three are concluded as color shift chrysoberyl like SSEF and Gubelin had concluded. The forth one is pretty controversial, I considered it a color shift. Unfortunately, AGL, SSEF, and Gubelin are agree to disagree with me :snooty:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I'm pleased that you had a good response from AGL and the reports came back as you expected. Since a lot of the posters on PS are in the US, we usually recommend AGL for coloured stones and GIA for diamonds.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
liao|1415158272|3777682 said:
I have to agree that AGL is on a par with SSEF and gubelin. I sent 4 stones to AGL. I was told that the waiting queue is 3 - 3 1/2 weeks, but I got it back in a week! 4 color shift chrysoberyl: yellow to brown, greenish yellow to orange, bluish green to orange, and brownish green to brownish purple. The first three are concluded as color shift chrysoberyl like SSEF and Gubelin had concluded. The forth one is pretty controversial, I considered it a color shift. Unfortunately, AGL, SSEF, and Gubelin are agree to disagree with me :snooty:

I love to hear that they concluded the first three as CS chrysoberyl and not alexandrite.

The forth - alex or just chrysoberyl?

And Liao - I am not allowed to post the link here but it would be great if you join another gemological forum - there is a chance to send PM!! Would be great. I am Marlow in that forum too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also curious as to what AGL deemed the 4th stone to be. My guess is alex. I am also registered at that other forum but am not really active anymore.

liao

Shiny_Rock
and what's the name of this 'other gemological forum'? Beside, I assume "gemological forum" will be too complicated for me

The forth one was concluded as an alex with "prominent to strong" color change! If only they conclude this as a color shift, I will not send any alex to neither SSEF nor Gubelin. It's just me against the world :pray:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green to purple is almost at opposite ends of the colour wheel, so I agree with the labs that this is not colour shift but a colour change, hence alexandrite.

liao

Shiny_Rock
but the secondary brownish hue is pretty strong under both light. Anyway, if three of the most reputable gem labs had disagreed with my opinion, there's nothing that I can do :silenced:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The secondary brown only means that the level of saturation is quite low.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results