shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a really good ghost story!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the spirit of Halloween I would love a recommendation for a great ghost story! No particular genre other than ghost-related -- but the eerier the better! Any and all recommendations are welcome.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if you mean short or long, but The Turn of the Screw is a good one that we read in my high school English class.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonnyjane - I love me some good Henry James! I actually did an entire project on this story back in college (I was an English major). Truly one of the greats!

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello Dee*Jay, I don't have any ghost stories but find this subject interesting. In the 80's there was the movie The Entity based on true story of Doris Bither and her experience with a poltergeist.

Listening to shows such as Darkness radio & coasttocoastam, learned about the 1974 Bridgeport poltergeist and a book about it called The Most Haunted House.

Here in Tx, there is the well known haunted railroad tracks, here is a link http://www.ghosthauntings.org/Railroad_Crossing_Ghosts.html

And also the island of the dolls, here is a link http://www.isladelasmunecas.com/

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you tonysgeko!

I actually found a blog last night on which I read several stories written by real people. I'm really looking for a book (i.e., a long tale that will hold my interest for a while) but the blog satisfied me for the short term (not to mention scaring the bejesus out of me a couple of times!).

Oh how I love a good scary story!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
So what's the blog, Dee Jay? I love ghost stories too. My secret addiction is Ghost Hunters on Wed. nights when we're lucky enough for it to be on. Only ghost program I trust to be real, one way or another.

--- Laurie

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Deej ... Have your read House of Leaves? That one got me GOOD. A little lighter but still quite evocative, Maplecroft ... and if you go in that direction, try Peter Straub's Ghost Story.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak, I don't own a TV so I can't watch Ghost Hunters, but it sounds interesting! I will have to look at my computer at home for the blog and let you know. It was tons of snippets (nothing longer than a page) of people's personal experiences.

Circe, I just ordered House of Leaves and Ghost Story. I am going to save Maplecroft for when I run out of other things because I can get that one on my Kindle. I'm really excited about House of Leaves -- how did I never know about that before?!?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Circe|1414447551|3773543 said:
Deej ... Have your read House of Leaves? That one got me GOOD. A little lighter but still quite evocative, Maplecroft ... and if you go in that direction, try Peter Straub's Ghost Story.

House of Leaves has been on my to read list for a while but I always chicken out since it is classified as ergotic literature by some critics. Is it very heavy reading? I am also afraid that the formatting and colours will be lost on my Kindle.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lady D, thank you for introducing that term to me - how wonderfully specific! I'd say it's accurate, but it's not at the deep end of the category. It's epistolary, and I found myself cross referencing frequently, but I never found myself falling down the rabbit hole. I would also definitely read it in hard copy. (As an aside, Neil Gainan's Stardust. It is a crime that text has ever been published without the original illustrations by Charles Vess.). But I'd say it's worth it, especially at this time of year ....

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1414449799|3773562 said:
JewelFreak, I don't own a TV so I can't watch Ghost Hunters, but it sounds interesting! I will have to look at my computer at home for the blog and let you know. It was tons of snippets (nothing longer than a page) of people's personal experiences.

Circe, I just ordered House of Leaves and Ghost Story. I am going to save Maplecroft for when I run out of other things because I can get that one on my Kindle. I'm really excited about House of Leaves -- how did I never know about that before?!?

I love a good ghost story and would love to check out that blog! House of Leaves was a good read and gave me some seriously creepy dreams.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Circe|1414456898|3773624 said:
Lady D, thank you for introducing that term to me - how wonderfully specific! I'd say it's accurate, but it's not at the deep end of the category. It's epistolary, and I found myself cross referencing frequently, but I never found myself falling down the rabbit hole. I would also definitely read it in hard copy. (As an aside, Neil Gainan's Stardust. It is a crime that text has ever been published without the original illustrations by Charles Vess.). But I'd say it's worth it, especially at this time of year ....

Thanks, Circe! I will order a hard copy then. And, yes, Stardust without the illustrations is a sad loss.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried searching all over again in different ways but I can't find the blog I was reading the other night. I swear, when I turn my computer off and back on it's like a whole new machine sometimes!

Here is a PS thread from a few years ago though with a couple of tales on it. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-anyone-have-true-ghost-stories.172925/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-anyone-have-true-ghost-stories.172925/[/URL]

And another with some interesting stuff. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-people-be-haunted.61381/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-people-be-haunted.61381/[/URL]

I will keep looking for the one I was reading at home though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results