shape
carat
color
clarity

Citizen Eco-Drive - Cool or Pleb?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in as a member of the Strap Fan Club :wavey: packrat, one of my Deco watches is on a turquoise ribbon strap & it always puts a smile on my face, so I say Go for that Citizen model, love the rose gold tone & the unnumbered white dial! Amazon is selling it for 25% off the list price.

Lara, think you made an excellent choice :))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo a turquoise ribbon strap sounds so pretty! Pic?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if they are cool or not but I have several. I have bought them all at Princetonwatches.com. DH has at least one too. I have one square faced one that I usually wear all summer because the band is looser than my other watches. I love that they ALWAYS work. I never have to make the time to get a battery changed. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to put a watch on and the battery is dead. Some of my collection don't get worn all that much.

One thing I will say about them, I have never been happy with the quality of their diamonds. So don't buy it for the sparkly factor.
They do however, have some lovely mother of pearl faces. Maybe some of the newer ones have better diamonds though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had one before I upgraded and I absolutely LOVED that the watch always kept perfect time and never needed a battery change. I wish the high end quartz watch people would start using that technology instead!!! I have yet to have my Cartier watch battery changed, but I dread dealing with it when the day comes since I have no local dealer. I gave the eco-drive to my older daughter and she still wears it.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1414461560|3773660 said:
I had one before I upgraded and I absolutely LOVED that the watch always kept perfect time and never needed a battery change. I wish the high end quartz watch people would start using that technology instead!!! I have yet to have my Cartier watch battery changed, but I dread dealing with it when the day comes since I have no local dealer. I gave the eco-drive to my older daughter and she still wears it.

That's the interesting thing, isn't it.
How do the 'high-end' quartz watch people get to claim the 'high-end' part of the play ground when their technology is not superior?
There are some pretty expensive Citizen watches around to the tune of say 6 grand.
But I imagine that the best of their technology is available at lower price points than that?

Perhaps as you say DS, it is really about the 'democratic' choice of their materials (stainless, titanium) rather than the technology or even the quality of the design that is at stake here. It seems the 'luxury' brands are definitely trading on their exclusivity also though, when it comes to beating off the competition from Citizen?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are my two Eco-Drive watches.

The two-tone black face one was a gift from work. I have not set the date for some time.

I bought the mother of pearl one off of Amazon years ago for about $130. I take
this one on cruises with me and wear it ashore when I'm going someplace that
I don't think is too safe and then also leave my other jewelry in the stateroom safe.

sm_5.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="cflutist|
That's what so cool about Eco-Drives, they are solar powered and don't need to be opened up to change a battery (helps with the water resistance). The Rolex system doesn't always work if one doesn't move their arm around a LOT. Sometimes mine stops and I have to wind it manually. Hence the "Watch Winders" that I bet Dancing Fire has for his fine watches.[/quote]

Yes, but I hardly ever use the winder now.. ;)) I just let my auto watches rest until I wear it again.

_23619.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DNB|1414365904|3773072 said:
I currently have 4 and DH has 3. I used to have another one but after 15 years it gave up the ghost. I love the fact I don't have to worry about a battery or winding it. I have a plain small face one, a medium face gold with diamonds, a larger face chronograph with diamonds (all three are round faced) and a brand new rectangular two tone with diamonds and roman numerals. I am so not a watch snob. I like the way they look and the way they work. I don't need to spend over a thousand dollars on a watch, ever. To me a watch is functional. My jewelry is where we have spent the money.
Don't make that statement on watch the forums... :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
DF you are the watch expert here :wavey:
So you tell us - are high end watches wrong in selling us the dream of fully automatic movement??
Do watch aficionados secretly envy the Eco drive technology but the availability and lower price point mean the citizen cannot ever be invited into the 'inner sanctum' of super high-end desirability?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1414479676|3773734 said:
So you tell us - are high end watches wrong in selling us the dream of fully automatic movement??
Do watch aficionados secretly envy the Eco drive technology but the availability and lower price point mean the citizen cannot ever be invited into the 'inner sanctum' of super high-end desirability?
Depends on what you meant by full auto movements?... :confused: Are you referring to mechanical watches or technology watches?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Well I mean Eco drive vs battery only Quartz vs mechanical I guess...
Rolex and other higher end watches tend to advertise 'a watch generations' that can be passed on
But change the charging battery of the Eco drive when it dies and it can soldier on indefinitely ??

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1414483176|3773742 said:
Well I mean Eco drive vs battery only Quartz vs mechanical I guess...
Rolex and other higher end watches tend to advertise 'a watch generations' that can be passed on
But change the charging battery of the Eco drive when it dies and it can soldier on indefinitely ??
But that may cost more than a new watch. The reason why high end mechanical watches are so expensive b/c it takes many hours to detail the movement and then assemble by hand. The more complications the more expensive the watch. On the other hand high tech watches are run by micro chips.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
While I love clocks and watches of all kinds, and fully appreciate a vintage watch of exceptional quality . . . I would never wear thousands of dollars on my wrist. Well, maybe if I won the lottery. And while I really like a beautiful watch, and wouldn't mind having an Eco-Drive, I'm just as unlikely to spend hundreds of dollars. I understand the inherent value of a watch that does not require batteries, but when I can find a watch I really like for much less, I can't get motivated to spend all that green up front.

I wear fashion watches to match outfits, moods, etc. Yes, the money I've spent could have purchased a really good watch. But I don't wear watches for their cache or value. I've been complimented many times on my watches; I do have good taste even if I prefer a lower budget.

I know I'm not buying the same quality as the rest of you, and I can appreciate that quality is important to you; this is not a shot at anyone for buying what they love or desire.

Maybe, here where I live, expensive watches just don't carry the same gravitas. (Although I have noticed that my bestie seems to be wearing a particularly ugly Timex these days, with what appears to be a Spiedel twist/flex two-tone band. :snooty: Even I have to draw the line on that one.)

:wink2:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
LaraOnline|1414479676|3773734 said:

Although I think that the Eco Drive technology is cool, this family of watch aficionados does not secretly envy it :lol: ;-)

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Oh momhappy you make me lol :lol:
:appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does pleb mean?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I was wondering the same thing, but in the spirit of conversation about cool vs. uncool, I was afraid to ask :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1414537478|3774114 said:
^I was wondering the same thing, but in the spirit of conversation about cool vs. uncool, I was afraid to ask :lol:

I'm never afraid to look uncool, because I AM uncool. :knockout: ... but admitting this makes me cool. :sun:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I'm sure that I'm plenty uncool - but I like to think that I'm cool…. 8-) ;-)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1414537122|3774109 said:
What does pleb mean?
Must be a dirty word... :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1414538182|3774126 said:
^I'm sure that I'm plenty uncool - but I like to think that I'm cool…. 8-) ;-)

+1

crown1

Brilliant_Rock

My guess is short for plebian or common not of the ruling class.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
crown1|1414538834|3774134 said:

My guess is short for plebian or common not of the ruling class.

Bingo! :tongue:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1414538890|3774135 said:
Ladies...if your husband cheated on you, you buy him this watch... :lol:

http://www.sinn.de/en/Sinn-Spezialuhren.htm

From this i'm getting that watch appreciation is about mechanical accuracy and ability to continue ongoing high level function under environmental pressures (which are actually pretty macho values)!!

I can see that a purely mechanical timepiece might be seen to encapsulate the 'purest' firm of watchmaking. But if we accept that accuracy and reliability are superior with the Eco drive technology then ???

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1414546810|3774183 said:
From this i'm getting that watch appreciation is about mechanical accuracy and ability to continue ongoing high level function under environmental pressures (which are actually pretty macho values)

Huh?
Vagina owners never value "ability to continue ongoing high level function under environmental pressures"?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1414547080|3774185 said:
From this i'm getting that watch appreciation is about mechanical accuracy and ability to continue ongoing high level function under environmental pressures (which are actually pretty macho values)

Huh?
Vagina owners never value "ability to continue ongoing high level function under environmental pressures"?

Lol. I'm sure we do!! Especially and most acutely in natural labour lol!

But overall I would say that culturally it is seen as a macho value, upheld and celebrated in sport culture, business culture... And watch culture!!
Women are meant to be interested in 'talking about their feelings '. :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1414547307|3774188 said:
kenny|1414547080|3774185 said:

Huh?

Lol. I'm sure we do!! Especially and most acutely in natural labour lol!

But overall I would say that culturally it is seen as a macho value, upheld and celebrated in sport culture, business culture... And watch culture!!
Women are meant to be interested in 'talking about their feelings '. :)

Whoa! Glad you posted that, not me.

If I posted that, WWIII would break out on PS. :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1414538890|3774135 said:
Ladies...if your husband cheated on you, you buy him this watch... :lol:

http://www.sinn.de/en/Sinn-Spezialuhren.htm

From this i'm getting that watch appreciation is about mechanical accuracy and ability to continue ongoing high level function under environmental pressures (which are actually pretty macho values)!!

I can see that a purely mechanical timepiece might be seen to encapsulate the 'purest' firm of watchmaking. But if we accept that accuracy and reliability are superior with the Eco drive technology then ???
Then you buy a high tech watch.. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results