shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Costco Diamond

dmsvan

Rough_Rock
Just picked up this ring from Costco as it looked like a great deal.

The cost was 5700 USD - Do you think I could have done better? I am not that happy with the "I" color; however, the style was right and they have a 30 day return policy so I just bought it.

All the rings were priced the same but this one was clearly better when you asked for the GIA report from the back.

Let me know what you think!

gia2.png

gia1.png

_23608.jpg

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Scores 2.0 on the HCA so it has possibilities. The medium blue fluorescence can also help the I color. Unfortunately you can't get an idealscope or ASET on the stone to judge its light performance. That's the price your pay by buying from Costco.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the price is pretty good. I checked JA...you would have to drop down to an eye-clean SI2 to be able to move up
to a higher color (or go down in carat size which I dont think you probably want to do).

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
You have the ring in hand and you like it. HCA score came back pretty good and you paid an awesome price for it so I think you should be feeling very please with yourself. I'd be going :dance:

dmsvan

Rough_Rock
Should I use the angle or % of girdle? The girdle is slightly thick - what is the impact?

I get 1.0 on HCA when I use [61.4% depth, 57% table, 14% crown, 43.5% pavilion, 0% cutlet]

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't matter, either way you do it, the HCA score is acceptable.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
It is crown and pavilion angle which per your stone is crown 33.0 degree and pavillion 41.2 degree

dmsvan

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone I agree - I was more here looking for red flags.

When I talked with a Jeweler he told me that you have to watch out for red flags like girdle thickness ect ect and that you can’t just go off spec’s alone. But what I am hearing the only piece of information I may be missing is the idealscope or ASET on the stone to judge its true light performance; however, given the HCA it will perform well for the price I paid.

dmsvan

Rough_Rock
Right but if I use the % of crown and pavilion I get 1.0 on HCA [61.4% depth, 57% table, 14% crown, 43.5% pavilion, 0% cutlet]

If i use the angle I get 2.0

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Costco has a good return policy so you could purchase the ring, bring it to an independent appraiser, not a jeweler, and see what they have to say. You can find one in your area by going to the pricsscope resources menu.

Kalliope

Shiny_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Angles vs. Percent for Crown and Pavilion

It is best to input crown and pavilion angles into HCA to reject less beautiful diamonds. We use trigonometry to calculate the angles from % data. Use angles if you have them because:

1. %'s are often rounded i.e. 13.3% crown height becomes 13% or 13.5%.
2. Pavilion depth % when converted to pavilion angle often understates the pavilion angle by 0.15 deg
3. Scanners are not good at measuring culets; a culet reduces the pavilion depth % but does not change the pavilion angle.
4. Sarin scanner data is better than Ogi because they calculate the angles and then scale of the %'s. Ogi works the other way round.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The crown is lower than we usually like. We prefer 34-35.5 generally, with a good HCA score.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dmsvan|1414430827|3773400 said:
Right but if I use the % of crown and pavilion I get 1.0 on HCA [61.4% depth, 57% table, 14% crown, 43.5% pavilion, 0% cutlet]

If i use the angle I get 2.0
Yes, that is true. However, you should not make any distinction between 1.0 and 2.0 without an Ideal Scope or ASET picture.

The price is good.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
With a Costco diamond I would be looking for where the catch is. Ok, the cut is less than superb but still decent, some specs are not ideal. Does the diamond have a hazy/milky appearance due to the fluor? It does not have to be at all, just asking as the pic was not showing crisp and sharp lines like I would be expecting from a well cut diamond. It may very well just be the pic but the HCA is far from being the end and be all. If you are considering keeping this stone, definitely take it to an appraiser. We love good deals but have it confirmed. Hopefully all will check out.

dmsvan

Rough_Rock
No it doesn't look milky at all, looks like others of have seen in upmarket stores - I am bring it to a lab today to get a independent look.

The catch with Costco is the flat pricing, limited section per store and the hassle in obtaining the certs to review. I went to 5 stores and bugged the staff for the certs -> this was the best one by far and they were all the same price. Not the best buying experience. [plus there is a element of risk]

dmsvan

Rough_Rock
The appraisal came back solid -close to 14k retail.

The appraiser was impressed with the stone, noting that he didn't appraise based on ags - however, it meets all the elements of AGS ideal.

He did note the flor - but he said if anything it improved the overall look under normal light and that unless she is going to nightclubs not to worry.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

dmsvan

Rough_Rock
Agreed - online you can get the rock for around 7k. He said the wholesale Guidelines were just over 7k. however, I did go to a local reputable jewelry store and they quoted me in that range, so 14k is truly retail with no discount. (Not that anyone on this forum would pay that)

My point is it's a quality stone, what I wanted and a very good price.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
dmsvan|1414553064|3774231 said:
Agreed - online you can get the rock for around 7k. He said the wholesale Guidelines were just over 7k. however, I did go to a local reputable jewelry store and they quoted me in that range, so 14k is truly retail with no discount. (Not that anyone on this forum would pay that)

Under $7k is the retail price, with no discount. Wholesale price is certainly lower. Non-AGS0 stones would be even less expensive.

dmsvan

Rough_Rock
Sorry I don't consider online "typical retail." If you walk into a typical B&M and state you have a 14k to spend on a 1ct ring your going to end up with a comparable ring. I tested it; and it's true. Anyways, I conceded you can buy it online for 7k so the point is moot.

In terms of wholesale, the man doing the appraisal showed me an official chart showing the wholesale price. He stated that they just went up Friday and that it will take a few months for the increases to flow down to consumers. So I'll go off that. Anyways that's more of an indicator of good timing and has little to do with this ring.

In Summary , there is nothing wrong with the ring and the ring was a very good value. There is no compelling case to return it and order online at what would likely be a ~ 1-2k premium for something that may have a bit better cut. ( or not)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dmsvan|1414559132|3774260 said:
Sorry I don't consider online "typical retail." If you walk into a typical B&M and state you have a 14k to spend on a 1ct ring your going to end up with a comparable ring. I tested it; and it's true. Anyways, I conceded you can buy it online for 7k so the point is moot.

In terms of wholesale, the man doing the appraisal showed me an official chart showing the wholesale price. He stated that they just went up Friday and that it will take a few months for the increases to flow down to consumers. So I'll go off that. Anyways that's more of an indicator of good timing and has little to do with this ring.

In Summary , there is nothing wrong with the ring and the ring was a very good value. There is no compelling case to return it and order online at what would likely be a ~ 1-2k premium for something that may have a bit better cut. ( or not)

Hi dmsvan, glad you like the stone you purchased from Costco, and feel that you received "a very good value". With that being said, you're posting on a diamond forum, and there are a number of people who would not even consider B&M retail as "retail".

RockyRacoon said:
Under $7k is the retail price, with no discount. Wholesale price is certainly lower. Non-AGS0 stones would be even less expensive.

RockyRacoon found some prices online that were $7K, and no discount, thus that can also be considered retail, just in a different forum. Just making a point that it is perception, and we all pick and choose how and what we want to compare prices to, which can make us feel positive or negative about our purchases.

I also have gone to costco and looked at their diamonds, some with GIA certs and some bearing other certs. I forget which. I personally did not find that they were good deals when compared to what was available online, but compared to a random shop in the mall, definitely yes. But maybe I'm just more negative. When I go to a random mall retailer, and they tell me the prices on their stones, I more often than not find the prices overstated. That may be very well considered "retail" because of the venue, but I certainly don't think those prices are fair. So I generally don't use those prices as a starting off point for a fair comparison to determine whether I received a good value.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results