shape
carat
color
clarity

Virgin birth, documented

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Oh Kenny you make me giggle!
You are the best and the worst! :cheeky:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

screen_shot_2014-10-25_at_10.png

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
It would be nice if you would give it a rest. Most know your feelings. You do not tolerate people belittling the things that are a part of your life nor your opinions. I hate to feel compelled to comment but please show others the same respect you desire for yourself.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny you goose ;))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's actually a very interesting bit of news! Thanks for posting. I'm not very knowledgeable about reptiles, but this makes me want to learn more.

Thelma, you devil! :angel:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had no idea animals could do this or there was even a name for it, parthenogenesis.

They call the babies 'part clones' of the mother, which I assume means there is only one set of DNA instead of the usual combination of two.
Must read more about this.
Love learning new stuff.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
I also find the article interesting and valuable. My problem with this topic is the mockery that was intended by the hail Thelma reference. Kenny uses every chance he gets to mock religion which I think is a taboo subject here. He does not respect that nor others belief. He constantly denounces it but I have yet to see anyone attack his beliefs or non-beliefs. I simply ask he give some respect to the rights of others to have their own opinions. He preaches diversity maybe he should practice it.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Yes, it is interesting. Did you know sea horses can change their sex?

Kenny, in case you are unaware that penetration of the male penis into the vagina does not have to occur to become pregnant. Sperm are very motile and can creep up the vaginal canal and a female can become pregnant without breaking the hymen.

So perhaps in that time people would have claimed a virgin birth. That would be understandable- There are drs now who don't understand this. We now think of sex as more than just intercourse.

Annette

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who knew? You learn something new everyday!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crown1|1414330292|3772878 said:
I also find the article interesting and valuable. My problem with this topic is the mockery that was intended by the hail Thelma reference. Kenny uses every chance he gets to mock religion which I think is a taboo subject here. He does not respect that nor others belief. He constantly denounces it but I have yet to see anyone attack his beliefs or non-beliefs. I simply ask he give some respect to the rights of others to have their own opinions. He preaches diversity maybe he should practice it.

Well, I wonder if he meant to write "Hail Thelma, full of snakes." :lol:

And yeah, maybe some of what he says seems hypocritical, but aren't we all hypocritical in many ways? When I see posters with scripture as their signature lines, or see people make religious references, or tell other posters they will pray for them, I don't get offended but sure, I see it as bending the rules here. I don't see the point in jumping all over their case about it, though. They aren't respecting the fact that not everyone believes what they do, yet they think it's necessary and acceptable to make mention of their beliefs whenever possible. Same difference, imo. I try to pick out the pertinent parts and discuss those...live and let live.

Sorry for the threadjack...back to weird animal stuff!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1414343583|3772947 said:

And yeah, maybe some of what he says seems hypocritical, but aren't we all hypocritical in many ways? When I see posters with scripture as their signature lines, or see people make religious references, or tell other posters they will pray for them, I don't get offended but sure, I see it as bending the rules here. I don't see the point in jumping all over their case about it, though. They aren't respecting the fact that not everyone believes what they do, yet they think it's necessary and acceptable to make mention of their beliefs whenever possible. Same difference, imo. I try to pick out the pertinent parts and discuss those...live and let live.

I think we both know he wrote exactly what he meant.

Kenny often, I repeat often speaks of fantasy and unproven regarding religion. But he has no proof to the contrary either. It is not occasionally. I do not believe I have used scripture in a tagline and I do not preach religion to my knowledge. I think I have said I would pray for someone when they have requested it. I believe in living and letting live. I think the only time religion has come up here that I felt the need to get involved was when Kenny makes derogatory remarks. I don't get offended if someone states they are atheist or of any religion. Kenny rankles me because he takes every opportunity to demean those of faith. So yes, I agree with the live and let live and I think Kenny needs to do the same. Kenny likes to tell everybody how it is and I am fine with that until he starts to preach, exactly what he dislikes in others. I am for measuring everyone with the same stick. If I have ever preached any form of religion or chastised anyone for lack of religion I make a humble apology. I think if the rules are followed it is not a problem. Kenny just likes to see how far he can go. Kenny likes drama and Kenny likes attention no matter what kind it is. So take that how you will, I wish you or anybody any ill will but if Kenny wants to dish it then he might have it feed right back. Have a nice day!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crown1|1414347146|3772980 said:
monarch64|1414343583|3772947 said:

I think we both know he wrote exactly what he meant.

I love kenny and his humor, but I totally agree with crown1 that there is an inherent hypocrisy in saying that people have a right to "vary" and then mocking those that "vary" from you.

There is nothing wrong with writing about a "virgin birth" that occurs in nature, but there is something wrong with using the term, "virgin birth" which, in English, has its roots in religion, as a joke when others take it seriously. Likewise with, "Hail, Thelma". It is obviously a reference to the Roman Catholic prayer "Hail, Mary" that starts off (in English) with, "Hail, Mary, full of grace...". Other people on this forum pray this prayer.

If kenny believes that people should be allowed to vary (and I actually believe that he does...I just think that he didn't think through all the ramifications of all this) people shouldn't be teased for being Roman Catholic anymore than for choosing to cross dress.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
I'm not offended by Kenny's joke. I rather be laughing. He made a funny, so what. Even Jesus and Mary laughed.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
FancyIntense|1414369118|3773092 said:
I'm not offended by Kenny's joke. I rather be laughing. He made a funny, so what. Even Jesus and Mary laughed.

That would be your opinion and you are entitled to it. I have been reading Kenny's posts for a long time and he can be amusing and quite intelligent. He does not joke about Jesus or Mary as he believes it to be fantasy. It is his right to believe that, but it is against forum policy to discuss religion, and he takes every chance he gets to preach against it. That is my opinion. There are subjects, that he feels he is discriminated against, that I would not dare mention, but he cares not about offending people of faith. So laugh if you will, but I think it is time he stopped beating this topic.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I agree with Crown1 and Deb and appreciate their putting words to my discomfort. I don't think anyone on PS would even consider posting LGBT jokes, however subtle, or skewering any other religion, race, or minority. So why is this faith fair game? And I don't think I've ever seen anyone poking fun of atheists, or suggesting that someone else should adopt a faith.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
He dropped his bomb, reveled in his praise and cooed about how he loves learning. He then ran off because he does not care if he has insulted or offended someone else. You will see no apology or acknowledgment of anyone else's thoughts or feelings. I appreciate the response from VR and AGBF.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
but the fact a 'virgin birth' did actually take place, scientists did not know that particular species had the ability to do that and I think that is pretty cool.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
LaraOnline|1414391846|3773208 said:
but the fact a 'virgin birth' did actually take place, scientists did not know that particular species had the ability to do that and I think that is pretty cool.

I do not believe there is any disagreement on that.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crown1|1414388871|3773199 said:
I appreciate the response from VR and AGBF.

Thank you. I think you were handling the matter perfectly well by yourself, crown1, and I probably would not have posted if I had not wanted to come at this from a slightly different angle from you.

The thrust of your posting seemed to be that religion is out of bounds on Pricescope and that as you never violate the principle you felt you had the right to call out kenny when he violated it. (I agree with that, of course.)

My main point was that kenny's own philosophy is to allow others to think as they wish and if he ridicules others he is violating his own principles. (Unlike you, I sometimes stick a toe into the religion topic. But I try to keep it intellectual. Like mentioning the history of religion and how it developed. I never want to debate faith with anyone because I do, always, want to respect Pricescope policy.)

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1414408641|3773235 said:
crown1|1414388871|3773199 said:
I appreciate the response from VR and AGBF.

Thank you. I think you were handling the matter perfectly well by yourself, crown1, and I probably would not have posted if I had not wanted to come at this from a slightly different angle from you.

The thrust of your posting seemed to be that religion is out of bounds on Pricescope and that as you never violate the principle you felt you had the right to call out kenny when he violated it. (I agree with that, of course.)

My main point was that kenny's own philosophy is to allow others to think as they wish and if he ridicules others he is violating his own principles. (Unlike you, I sometimes stick a toe into the religion topic. But I try to keep it intellectual. Like mentioning the history of religion and how it developed. I never want to debate faith with anyone because I do, always, want to respect Pricescope policy.)

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

I actually feel that Kenny needs to practice what he preaches. Diversity and tolerance. Not pushing your opinion down someone else's throat. He needs to learn to follow rules and to not constantly push his own agenda at the expense of others. He knows exactly what he is doing and he is enjoying it. He loves a good fight and the drama that ensues. Since you love history, you should understand what happens when good people say nothing when others are being targeted. He thinks the only group that needs protected is his. I disagree.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't usually get involved in the drama around here but I would have to say that I agree with you Crown1.

I also don't agree with Monarch (even though I usually enjoy her posts) that it is talking about religion to mention that you will pray for someone. Some offer 'dust', some pray. It is always in connection with someone specifically asking for it. Further, I don't see anyone making mention of their beliefs whenever possible. What I do see, it that if you are conservative you are really bashed and if you are a person of faith in Christianity it is ok to bash your belief. No one dares mention any other faith in a derogatory fashion.

If your tag line is going to be 'people vary', then by all means don't criticize or mock them if they do.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Good scientific tid bit, Kenny.

Now I think I'll pour myself a Virgin Mary. Oops, sorry to offend.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
luv2sparkle|1414450878|3773579 said:
I don't usually get involved in the drama around here but I would have to say that I agree with you Crown1.

I also don't agree with Monarch (even though I usually enjoy her posts) that it is talking about religion to mention that you will pray for someone. Some offer 'dust', some pray. It is always in connection with someone specifically asking for it. Further, I don't see anyone making mention of their beliefs whenever possible. What I do see, it that if you are conservative you are really bashed and if you are a person of faith in Christianity it is ok to bash your belief. No one dares mention any other faith in a derogatory fashion.

If your tag line is going to be 'people vary', then by all means don't criticize or mock them if they do.

Thanks for the comments. What is fair for one is fair for all.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
swingirl|1414456935|3773627 said:
Good scientific tid bit, Kenny.

Now I think I'll pour myself a Virgin Mary. Oops, sorry to offend.

I agree it is a good scientific tidbit.

Pouring a Virgin Mary is not offensive at all, it is the name of a drink, not something made up just to be hateful, unless you said it just to try to stir the pot.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
When no one is allowed to question or critique or even laugh at religious myths and doctrine, a very poisonous culture of silence and entitlement grows. Nothing should be placed beyond inquiry. Nothing should be claimed to be so sacred that questioning and reason is considered blasphemous and profane.
How ugly humans can become when given the power to smother and nullify curiosity and doubt.

There is a huge difference between saying a talking snake, virgin birth, or riding a Pegasus to heaven is silly, and directly saying that Jews, Christians, or Muslims are silly.

We are not supposed to discuss religion on PS, but there have been several successful thoughtful threads where this has happened. I think the mods know that we are all adults and only step in if things get heated or personal.

Now, here's a kitty.

_23618.jpg

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
JaneSmith|1414469678|3773702 said:
When no one is allowed to question or critique or even laugh at religious myths and doctrine, a very poisonous culture of silence and entitlement grows. Nothing should be placed beyond inquiry. Nothing should be claimed to be so sacred that questioning and reason is considered blasphemous and profane.
How ugly humans can become when given the power to smother and nullify curiosity and doubt.

There is a huge difference between saying a talking snake, virgin birth, or riding a Pegasus to heaven is silly, and directly saying that Jews, Christians, or Muslims are silly.

We are not supposed to discuss religion on PS, but there have been several successful thoughtful threads where this has happened. I think the mods know that we are all adults and only step in if things get heated or personal.

Now, here's a kitty.
What a load of entitling yourself to say anything you wish with no regard for anyone else. When no one is allowed to question or critique or even laugh at atheists doctrines a very poisonous culture of silence and entitlement grows. How long would I get away with it if I just decided to post that atheists beliefs are silly? I do not mind if you or Kenny express your feelings. I do mind when you decide to try to stifle others from expressing their thoughts and beliefs for fear of your mockery. Say what you will, Kenny made a deliberate mockery of a prayer because he does not like religion or religious people. Read his posts if you doubt it. I suspect he has something in his past that has made him feel that way but maybe he is just a nasty person, I am not privy to that information. To my knowledge I have never tried to discuss religion with Kenny or anybody here. You are free to believe what you like and so is everyone else. Never have I read on here anyone telling an atheist they are weak or having fantasies. I don't think anybody likes being mocked or their intelligence insulted. I wish you no ill will but I do not agree with you anymore than you with me and you can keep your cat.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be nice if we could all say our piece and move on. I was trying to do so, but I feel like this has turned into a Kenny-bashing thread, Crown1. You've stated your feelings several times now and honestly, it's starting to seem like you're personally attacking Kenny. You're a longtime member; you know how to use the "report concern" function, and I'm sure you know how to "ignore" a poster or know how to find out how that is done. Best yet, let Ella determine whether any of this is in violation of PS terms of use/etiquette policy.

JaneSmith: I appeciate your words and your cat picture. Well done.

I'm moving on. No harm, no foul. Still glad to be a part of the Pricescope community, which I hold very dear in and of itself, and love all the members for which I have the utmost respect.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1414473797|3773717 said:
It would be nice if we could all say our piece and move on. I was trying to do so, but I feel like this has turned into a Kenny-bashing thread, Crown1. You've stated your feelings several times now and honestly, it's starting to seem like you're personally attacking Kenny. You're a longtime member; you know how to use the "report concern" function, and I'm sure you know how to "ignore" a poster or know how to find out how that is done. Best yet, let Ella determine whether any of this is in violation of PS terms of use/etiquette policy.

I'm moving on. No harm, no foul. Still glad to be a part of the Pricescope community, which I hold very dear in and of itself, and love all the members for which I have the utmost respect.

I agree it would be nice if we all could say our piece and move on. Because of years of reading Kenny's war on religion and finally his mockery of a prayer that has been recited for years I felt the need to let him know how I feel. I do not believe I have ever jumped into a thread where you had multiple posts and told you it was time to move along. I am not attacking Kenny I am trying to give him what he gives when he goes on and on about his dislike for religion. Have you ever told him to move on? How do you know I have not hit the report concern button. How do you know I have not discussed this with Ella? Maybe you would feel better if you were to ignore me ? Feel free to move on. I am not feeling your utmost respect for me but I am sure Kenny appreciates your support and respect. You can be sure I will not tell you when you need to stop posting in a thread. Enjoy your evening!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crown1|1414475255|3773723 said:
monarch64|1414473797|3773717 said:

I agree it would be nice if we all could say our piece and move on. Because of years of reading Kenny's war on religion and finally his mockery of a prayer that has been recited for years I felt the need to let him know how I feel. I do not believe I have ever jumped into a thread where you had multiple posts and told you it was time to move along. I am not attacking Kenny I am trying to give him what he gives when he goes on and on about his dislike for religion. Have you ever told him to move on? How do you know I have not hit the report concern button. How do you know I have not discussed this with Ella? Maybe you would feel better if you were to ignore me ? Feel free to move on. I am not feeling your utmost respect for me but I am sure Kenny appreciates your support and respect. You can be sure I will not tell you when you need to stop posting in a thread. Enjoy your evening!

I will definitely put you on "ignore" because you sound crazy. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results