shape
carat
color
clarity

Who cuts the best antique style gemstones?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a gorgeous setting for which I need to find a ~9.5-10mm gem. The setting is Edwardian, and I'd love to get a stone, round or perhaps a little ovalish, that would share that style in terms of faceting. I know they produce lovely vintage cuts at Bespoke Gems ... do you guys know of any other cutters with their own takes on old cuts? I'm planning to set it with my next little one's birthstone, so it will probably be either an amethyst or a garnet, depending on whether she comes on time or early ....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I've seen Jeff white do a vintage style round.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the one I was thinking of (I think)

uploadfromtaptalk1414273032220.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oooo, that is pretty - thanks, Niel!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's a gorgeous round!

I feel like Barry's rounds are antique-ish. And Doug has a cushion and round that are antique cuts that I love, and his supernovas are super fat and beautiful. Barry's stones always have such big incredible facets, so I feel like any of his would work.

moak

Rough_Rock
What would you consider a vintage cut?

I'm having a purple sapphire custom cut from me right now and the pavilion still hasn't been cut. I would like to get a vintage style as well. How should I tell him to cut it?

Thanks

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Short lower girdle facets and an open culet, on the pavilion: high crown & small table as well, if those proportions still have any flexibility.

ETA: I will also say ... a lot of native cuts still look "old cut" to my eye. It can, ironically, be harder (or at least less common) to get that look with precision cutting ... not actually sure why. Because it came into being parallel with modern cut styles, maybe?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Packrat, I'm a CS board n00b - what are Barry and Doug's full names/websites? Sorry ... I often pop my head in here to ogle but since I haven't bought any newly cut colored stones in, oh, 15 years, I never noted the particulars![emoji51]

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh shoot, I'm sorry Circe!

Barry is Barry Bridgestock from http://acstones.com/ He really is one hellofa guy. Super nice. I have a round yellow chrysoberyl of his and it makes me so happy.

Doug is Doug Menadue from http://bespoke-gems.com/index.php Another super nice guy. I've not had the opportunity to own one of his stones, but have talked w/him about different ideas and he's great.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i dont know what kind of setting you have, but sometimes a cab fits with the antique setting feel.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Barry Bridgestock is IMHO, the best. Here is one of my stones that he did - a blue spinel. Someone had a supernova oval that got the culet lopped off when it was getting set, and it looked fabulous and just like an antique cut. Maybe Cellentani?

Another one is from Julia B, a gray spinel. It's crown isn't as high.

Both stones are pretty fabulous though. :naughty:

not_at_all_0.jpg

img_4973_crown.jpg

oec3__2_.jpg

_23580.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results