shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever consider going without makeup for a week?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting and surprising report from a woman who wore no make up for seven days.
She had worn makeup every day from age 12 to age 29.

For you who wear it every day ... ever consider what it would be like to go au naturel for a week?
For those who never wear makeup, or wear it occasionally ... this thread is about women who wear it every day, like the woman in the link.
If you don't wear makeup, or don't wear it every day, you are already familiar with how people react to you without makeup.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/living/2014/10/22/hln-now-woman-went-without-makeup.cnn.html

screen_shot_2014-10-24_at_5.png

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I do it on every vacation. It is really liberating but the pictures look like Hell. Thank God for big sunglasses.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Nope . I skipped eye makeup before I had lasik, and not only did I feel sort of off and really self conscious, I got a lot of "are you feeling well?"s and "not you look tired!"s. Never again!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few days yep, a whole week :shock: - not going to happen :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally? No, not really. But my de rigeur minimum has changed since I retired. It used to be mascara and contouring eye shadow and brow makeup; now I often go out with just mascara. Go out regularly with not even that? Nah, I don't think so.

BTW I suspect that many men can't really differentiate between "light makeup" and "zero makeup." Not that it matters all that much...

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only wear makeup when I am going somewhere nice..however when I was going into the office I wore it every day...I did not skip it, anymore I just truly dont give a crap what I look like.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rarely wear makeup anymore.

Before my injury I wore a minimum of makeup when I went to work. Concealer for my under eye circles and for any blemishes I might have on a given day. And then a bit of mascara and upper lid eyeliner for eye definition.

Since my accident I can count on one hand the times I have worn any makeup and that was when I go to my surgeon for follow up visits. I love going out "naked" so to speak and I feel just as pretty (or not) and confident as when I wear makeup. Just as feminine with or without makeup. Though I do enjoy a bit of dramatic eye action if we are going out somewhere special but that hasn't been since before the summer.

In fact there are people in my life today who have never seen me with any makeup. Victor my PT is one of those people. I wonder if he would notice any difference if I wore makeup to a session. Probably he would just notice I look more polished. For work I like being polished but for every day I prefer being natural if that makes sense.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Likewise, I only wear make up when going somewhere special, otherwise it is bare faced chic as I work in controlled environment.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot though and not sure this counts but even when I go without makeup I often wear lipgloss...so not sure if that counts as me being without makeup. I just like the feel and bit of shine it gives my lips.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ladies here that can go without makeup look great with or without makeup. Me, I look really terrible, like a totally different person without it. :lol:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
As a woman "of a certain age"...ahem....I find my natural complexion looks much better naked (with sunscreen and exfoliated) than with foundation. The little lines tend to show up a bit more with foundation, no matter how carefully I apply it. I need the mascara though. I have gone weeks without now. At a younger age, I would not leave the house without full make-up.

An aside, to you younger ladies - Wear sunscreen! It will help prevent wrinkles when you become older.
I had good skin (almost no lines at 46) up until 2 years ago. That is when I bought my mid-life convertible. I noticed my skin was looking older faster and concluded it was my age. My decolletage started to look ancient and I could not understand why the rapid aging and then it struck me - it was sun damage from the convertible summer, not rapid aging! OOPS. I started keeping my convertible top up and wearing sunscreen and the lines are easing up.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Not wearing any makeup wouldn't make me "natural" and no, I have no interest in going without makeup. I don't wear a lot of makeup. but it's part of who I am and I would see no benefit in going without it.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
moneymeister|1414244013|3772456 said:
As a woman "of a certain age"...ahem....I find my natural complexion looks much better naked (with sunscreen and exfoliated) than with foundation. The little lines tend to show up a bit more with foundation, no matter how carefully I apply it. I need the mascara though. I have gone weeks without now. At a younger age, I would not leave the house without full make-up.

An aside, to you younger ladies - Wear sunscreen! It will help prevent wrinkles when you become older.
I had good skin (almost no lines at 46) up until 2 years ago. That is when I bought my mid-life convertible. I noticed my skin was looking older faster and concluded it was my age. My decolletage started to look ancient and I could not understand why the rapid aging and then it struck me - it was sun damage from the convertible summer, not rapid aging! OOPS. I started keeping my convertible top up and wearing sunscreen and the lines are easing up.

Humph! How unfair is it that a super-cool convertible has the UNCOOL effect of extra sun damage.
My sister has recently bought a fabulous yellow convertible and occasionally I do dream of doing same!
But I am skin conscious and will try to avoid cooking in our harsh sun.
So it is annoying to hear that your fab convertible had such an unfab effect on your skin!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am with Moneymeister, I actually like my face without makeup. But when I go out I wear a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen. If I an not going anywhere I don't wear anything, but I wouldn't go out without sunscreen. I don't have one without tint, so I guess I wouldn't go out without 'makeup' per se.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1414197950|3772317 said:
Interesting and surprising report from a woman who wore no make up for seven days.
She had worn makeup every day from age 12 to age 29.

For you who wear it every day ... ever consider what it would be like to go au naturel for a week?
For those who never wear makeup, or wear it occasionally ... this thread is about women who wear it every day, like the woman in the link.
If you don't wear makeup, or don't wear it every day, you are already familiar with how people react to you without makeup.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/living/2014/10/22/hln-now-woman-went-without-makeup.cnn.html
Nope. I already know how they'd react. No plans to prove it.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
Nope, not gonna happen. I love to wear makeup. I do go to the water park without it though.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
No makeup for me...
I used to wear it in my 20s because I thought it was fun to apply and experiment. When I fell into a routine and put on the same thing every day I just decided to stop. None of my friends noticed the difference. I haven't worn it in about ten years or so.

I went to a wedding about four months ago and wanted to get some makeup for the occasion (I was in the bridal party) so I bought mineral foundation/blush, mascara, eyeliner and a shimmery lip balm. All the other gals wore heavy makeup so I looked like I had nothing on again but I felt comfortable just the same. I meant to wear it again but I've tossed the mascara and haven't touched the mineral powders. I do put on eyeliner some mornings (but it disappears a few hours after I apply, even though it's the long-lasting waterproof stuff) and the shimmer balm when I remember because it's hydrating and looks better than my usual Rosebud Salve or Aquaphor.

I'm all for whatever makes people happy... I remember how much I used to love shopping for and applying makeup.
But it's just not for me anymore... maybe in another ten years? ;-)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I'm constantly surprised when I'm out in public. Most of my compliments come when I'm NOT wearing makeup, although I still like to wear it when I get dressed up and go out. I don't put it on for the grocery store or running errands, and that's when most people make positive comments. However, I personally like the way I look with it on.

I remember watching a talk show about a woman that had been married to her husband for like 40 years and her husband had never seen her without it. She would go to sleep with it on, then would wake up at like 4:00 AM, wash her face, then put new makeup on so that when he woke up she would already "have her face on". That seems exhausting!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I'm leaving the house I have to have make up on.

I picked up my nephew from preschool once with no make up on. The child said in a really loud voice " What happened to you. Where's your makeup". His teacher came over and told him I looked nice. He went on to tell her that I did not and I really don't look like this. That was all I needed to hear. If a four year old knows I look bad without it, I know I need it!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, I wouldn't want to go without makeup for any arbitrary length of time, just for the sake of it. I enjoy makeup. I like buying it and wearing it. For people with an artistic flair, it can be a form of adornment, much as wearing jewelry is. For me, it's part of my grooming regimen. Clean body, styled hair, a little scent, some makeup, maybe run an iron on my (clean) clothes if necessary -> good to go.

For me, an analogous question to this one would be "Ever consider wearing only sweatshirt and sweatpants for a week?" Sure, if I've got the flu, but otherwise I enjoy prettier clothes.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I used to not be able to leave the house without eyeliner on because I thought I looked absolutely awful without it. A year ago, I finally took the plunge and stopped wearing eyeliner and only mascara. That's my comfort level and there is no shot I would go a week without it. I like the way it makes my eyelashes look way too much to give it up, even if its just a week.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't go out without some make-up on. I wouldn't want to scare anyone. :lol:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do all the caregiving for the elderly members of our family and together with work, traveling for work, and running my own household, sometimes I just don't have time to attend to my appearance. On those days I go out and about without makeup, without my nails done, and without my hair styled, because sometimes it's a choice between getting those things done or 40 mins of precious relaxation. So I regularly go out showered but not "done," (with hair left to dry on its own) but I feel much, much better and much more polished with makeup on, nails freshly polished, and hair blow-dried.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am one of those that always wear makeup, always. I feel naked without it and feel that people stare at me thinking I am ugly if I do not. It has happened and I was shocked when I was complimented on my face without makeup. I go from light to full usually. My problem is that I have huge undereye circles. I have to always wear concealer if I go somewhere or otherwise I look dead. I also have deep set eyes and have problems in the eyelash department, some eye makeup is a must and something for my lips as otherwise they bleed in cold weather but my lips are large so not really a problem there. I also love wearing color to match my colorful dresses. I love playing art with my face, I feel that I would miss something if I could not do that. I do have natural makeup days but go bold too at times with teal on my eyelids. What I no longer do and used to is bold red lips and the like, people all voted that down, with my full lips I guess I do not need more attention on them and it is not very classy when they stand out so much.

What was an interesting test for me is when I had eyelash extensions done. Nothing I love more than the effect they create. They really emphasize my eyes and when I do that I feel I look good with a tadbit of concealer and blush, anything else would be too much. I loved looking natural and good at the same time. It felt really liberating that I did not have to do much to look ok and I looked fine even in the morning. The only problem is that they do not really last on me and are not comfortable to wear but I get them done whenever I can so I can go as bare as I want. When I am working I still do a bit of foundation, blush, concealer and perhaps some shadow and if I go out like last weekend to a ball I will wear full evening makeup and lash extensions but the way they transformed my face, opening up my eyes, making me look alive even in the morning really helped me understand why I was doing so much makeup before and what I do not like about myself. Sometimes one thing makes all the difference. It is strange but a great feeling too that I do not need to get up as early in the morning.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OVincze|1414316365|3772824 said:
I am one of those that always wear makeup, always. I feel naked without it and feel that people stare at me thinking I am ugly if I do not. It has happened and I was shocked when I was complimented on my face without makeup. I go from light to full usually. My problem is that I have huge undereye circles. I have to always wear concealer if I go somewhere or otherwise I look dead. I also have deep set eyes and have problems in the eyelash department, some eye makeup is a must and something for my lips as otherwise they bleed in cold weather but my lips are large so not really a problem there. I also love wearing color to match my colorful dresses. I love playing art with my face, I feel that I would miss something if I could not do that. I do have natural makeup days but go bold too at times with teal on my eyelids. What I no longer do and used to is bold red lips and the like, people all voted that down, with my full lips I guess I do not need more attention on them and it is not very classy when they stand out so much.

What was an interesting test for me is when I had eyelash extensions done. Nothing I love more than the effect they create. They really emphasize my eyes and when I do that I feel I look good with a tadbit of concealer and blush, anything else would be too much. I loved looking natural and good at the same time. It felt really liberating that I did not have to do much to look ok and I looked fine even in the morning. The only problem is that they do not really last on me and are not comfortable to wear but I get them done whenever I can so I can go as bare as I want. When I am working I still do a bit of foundation, blush, concealer and perhaps some shadow and if I go out like last weekend to a ball I will wear full evening makeup and lash extensions but the way they transformed my face, opening up my eyes, making me look alive even in the morning really helped me understand why I was doing so much makeup before and what I do not like about myself. Sometimes one thing makes all the difference. It is strange but a great feeling too that I do not need to get up as early in the morning.

Sorry for the quick threadjack. OVincze, have your tried using Latisse on your lashes. Makes them much longer and thicker after a few weeks use. So much better than eyelash extensions!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder how long it took her to grow these long eyelashes.

longest_lashes.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1414376984|3773137 said:

Sorry for the quick threadjack. OVincze, have your tried using Latisse on your lashes. Makes them much longer and thicker after a few weeks use. So much better than eyelash extensions!

Hi Callie and Ovi, just be careful with Latisse as there may be some side effects the most serious one being that it could turn lighter eyes brown and another side effect is that it can discolor your eyelids. The turning one's blue or hazel eyes brown is a permanent side effect if it happens so just be careful and discuss it with the prescribing (you should always get a prescription and not through any other means) doctor.

Latisse is the same formula as Lumigan which is an ocular drop for glaucoma so it is serious medication. And as you probably already know it only works as long as you are using it and if/when you stop your lashes will go back to what they were before you started using it.

The only time I wore false eyelashes was for my wedding and I cut them down to half because I wanted it to look natural and it was very pretty. I definitely see the temptation for longer lashes as it really makes ones eyes beautiful. However I am too risk adverse for Latisse (plus it's expensive and adds up) and too lazy and low maintenance for false lashes. But I appreciate how they can transform one's appearance as long as done reasonably. I am sure most of us have seen badly applied false lashes/too much mascara blobbed on and well, not a pretty sight. :knockout:

Another question for those who wear makeup most of the time. Do you apply before you go to the gym or workout or go for a run etc?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the info girls. I usually have the shortest extensions put on and they look completely natural on me. The biggest problem I have is that my own lashes, while I have volume, curve downwards instead of up and are very thin. Due to my severe allergies, I cannot stand mascara, I end up tearing out my lashes because of the irritation. Small particles of the mascara go inside my eyes or my lashes hang down and irritate my eyes so I hate wearing mascara and the extensions curve my lashes up which is much less irritating. There was a time though when I developed severe allergies to one kind of extensions so I had to stop but the kind I have now are fine and comfortable, I just hate it that they do not last on me and have to get them done every ten days at the most but anyhow I get my nails done at the same intervals so that is ok, the only thing that bothers me is the feeling when they are going to fall out.

Lattice might not be an option for me because of my allergies, if anyone I will have a severe reaction. Although if I think that they might just turn my almost black eyes say green, hmm, maybe worth a chance.:))) No, seriously, once in the US I tried an epilatory cream that was super new and super expensive and I ended up in emergency twice that day on steroids and allergy meds enough for an elephant and I tore my body to pieces as huge rashes covered my entire body for almost three days, I used tubes of cortisone cream a day on top of everything and was so miserable I cannot tell you, so now, these options may not be for me.

I do exercise at home these days so I go au naturel. If I still went running I would likely go without and of course swimming too but lash extension do work in those cases too, I had them when I went on vacation. I guess that for me they are what transform my face the most.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OVincze|1414403400|3773224 said:
Thanks for the info girls. I usually have the shortest extensions put on and they look completely natural on me. The biggest problem I have is that my own lashes, while I have volume, curve downwards instead of up and are very thin. Due to my severe allergies, I cannot stand mascara, I end up tearing out my lashes because of the irritation. Small particles of the mascara go inside my eyes or my lashes hang down and irritate my eyes so I hate wearing mascara and the extensions curve my lashes up which is much less irritating. There was a time though when I developed severe allergies to one kind of extensions so I had to stop but the kind I have now are fine and comfortable, I just hate it that they do not last on me and have to get them done every ten days at the most but anyhow I get my nails done at the same intervals so that is ok, the only thing that bothers me is the feeling when they are going to fall out.

Lattice might not be an option for me because of my allergies, if anyone I will have a severe reaction. Although if I think that they might just turn my almost black eyes say green, hmm, maybe worth a chance.:))) No, seriously, once in the US I tried an epilatory cream that was super new and super expensive and I ended up in emergency twice that day on steroids and allergy meds enough for an elephant and I tore my body to pieces as huge rashes covered my entire body for almost three days, I used tubes of cortisone cream a day on top of everything and was so miserable I cannot tell you, so now, these options may not be for me.

I do exercise at home these days so I go au naturel. If I still went running I would likely go without and of course swimming too but lash extension do work in those cases too, I had them when I went on vacation. I guess that for me they are what transform my face the most.

I also am allergic to a lot of mascara brands. I ended up at the doctors office when the allery first started. I looked like some one beat me up . The area around my eye was so red and swollen. I asked the pharmacist what I should put on it. His response was go to emergency room. He said he sees allergic reactions all time and had never seen anything that bad. I'm just glad I was able to find a mascara I could use. I was terrified I would not be able to wear mascara again. I was also allergic to the glue they used for eyelash extensions and they were using the type of glue for people with allergies. My problem with the extensions is that they take your own eyelashes out when the extensions fall out. One of girlfriends and I were having them done at the same time and she decided you wasn't going to get them any more. She called me crying because her own lashed had fallen out.

I love Latisse. My doctor had warned about the issues Missy mentioned above. I have dark brown eyes so dicoloring wasn't a problem. And I like the slight discoloration on my eyelid. It looks like I have a little but of eyeliner on even when I don't have any on. I have people ask me all the time if my eyelashes are real. They really are long and I have had to cut a couple of them on occasion. I've been using it about 2 years now, I can use stretch out a months worth to last close to three months. So it ends up being about 30 dollars a month.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1414401706|3773220 said:
Calliecake|1414376984|3773137 said:

Hi Callie and Ovi, just be careful with Latisse as there may be some side effects the most serious one being that it could turn lighter eyes brown and another side effect is that it can discolor your eyelids. The turning one's blue or hazel eyes brown is a permanent side effect if it happens so just be careful and discuss it with the prescribing (you should always get a prescription and not through any other means) doctor.

Latisse is the same formula as Lumigan which is an ocular drop for glaucoma so it is serious medication. And as you probably already know it only works as long as you are using it and if/when you stop your lashes will go back to what they were before you started using it.

The only time I wore false eyelashes was for my wedding and I cut them down to half because I wanted it to look natural and it was very pretty. I definitely see the temptation for longer lashes as it really makes ones eyes beautiful. However I am too risk adverse for Latisse (plus it's expensive and adds up) and too lazy and low maintenance for false lashes. But I appreciate how they can transform one's appearance as long as done reasonably. I am sure most of us have seen badly applied false lashes/too much mascara blobbed on and well, not a pretty sight. :knockout:

Another question for those who wear makeup most of the time. Do you apply before you go to the gym or workout or go for a run etc?

I would wear a little make going to gym or out running. I just feel better with make up on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results