shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry you are glad you DIDN'T buy...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has occurred to me more than once and I wonder what others are glad they have NOT bought even though they had really wanted it. I'll go first. Six months ago I was obsessed over a Cartier gold necklace that I thought I had to have. I was sure it would go with everything and that I would wear it everyday forever. So wrong. Now I am can see that if I bought it I would be putting it away and just be bored by now. I just laugh at myself sometimes about how I get obsessed with something and then the feeling just fades away. :confused: :rolleyes:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to be fixated on the idea of a blue sapphire Princess Diana style engagement ring and we actually found one at a local antique shop. I would have regretted it in the end, so I'm glad I didn't go that route. I still very much like the idea of an antique or vintage style ring.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the same way. I see something pretty and want to have it right away so I've put a waiting period for myself several years ago. If I still like something after 6 months, then it's going on my wish list. That's how I figured out that I'm not really a CS person and just like large diamonds. Don't need few smaller diamond pieces. Just couple really big ones :bigsmile: .

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So relieved I didn't halo my original ER. I almost contracted VC to do it. And then at the last minute I decided OEC solitaire for me and I think the next week I found my OEC. I think Victor is amazing and I still want to have a piece by him one day. Just not a haloed ER.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About 10-12 years ago I actually did buy a quad princess cut e-ring...it was very blingy, I was in love...I put it on a JB Robinson credit card and brought it home...and then I thought about it and decided at the time that it was too much money and I took it back...I realize now that was a very good decision to take it back..but man at the time I really loved it.....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For the longest time, I desperately wanted a princess cut eternity. It wasn't until I saw my first french cuts that I realized that what I'd really wanted was in fact a square stone, but with a different facet structure ....

laylah

Rough_Rock
I was new to the world of diamonds and went to a jeweller (brick and mortar) who tried to tell me that the stone I was looking at was an Si1. I purchased it and a day later (yes it took me a day) I noticed the biggest blackest inclusion I had ever seen staring back up at me. In the afterglow of wearing a new ring, I had overlooked the fact that my spidey-sense was usually pretty good and I had totally ignored the fact that I didn't trust the man.

I went to another jeweller, who agreed that the stone was, in the very least, an i1 and suggested I return to the jeweller who sold it to me and tell him I wasn't happy. I did - the jeweller was not impressed, refused a refund but agreed to switch it for a more appropriate stone (Si1). Of course I paid more for it. ~sighs~

Long story short - I got it appraised, it was a lovely stone - long gone now, so is the relationship - but I am so relieved I didn't put up with a big black inclusion. Who knew the jewellery store lights would hide such a multitude of sins! Me. :errrr:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a settings nut and there's many a setting I've loved and been glad I didn't plump for. I think that humorous quote used for exercise ought to apply to jewelery also. "Whenever I feel the need for exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got engaged in the late eighties and trillion diamonds were popular in lieu of baguettes. They looked bigger and I asked my jeweler if I should get them for my ER (oval center stone) and he said 'No. Boy was he right. I think I have far more regrets of jewelry I didn't buy :wall:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
A fancy yellow diamond. I really wanted one back in 2006 or so. I'm glad I passed it by. Yellow isn't one of the colors in my palette, lol. I've been infatuated with yellow before. Back in the '80s, every spring I'd get the urge to re-do my kitchen in yellow and white. But I'd ignore it and by July or so the urge would go away. :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So many settings I considered for my asscher before I picked the plain shank halo.
An expensive string of pearls. I never wear pearl strands.

There aren't that many pieces that I am happy I didn't buy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC1987|1414201468|3772333 said:
A fancy yellow diamond. I really wanted one back in 2006 or so. I'm glad I passed it by. Yellow isn't one of the colors in my palette, lol. I've been infatuated with yellow before. Back in the '80s, every spring I'd get the urge to re-do my kitchen in yellow and white. But I'd ignore it and by July or so the urge would go away. :lol:

This reminded me-I seriously considered buying a yellow diamond for my ER reset/upgrade before I considered the halo. Thank goodness I didn't make that purchase. That would have been a costly mistake for me. It took a while to realize I wanted an OEC but thank goodness that realization finally hit me before I made another mistake!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am the opposite I have jewellery that I regret not buying. I try something on, love it, procrastinate (ie try and justify it) go back to get it and find out it has been sold. I found the most magnificent wide antique diamond band literally encrusted in OECs and OMCs all white, super sparkly with tiny single cuts in between and the top was platinum which the diamonds were set in but the inside was a smooth rounded piece of rose gold (almost yellow coloured but they swore it was rose), it was soooo comfortable to wear and beautifully crafted. It was too big for my ring finger but it fit on my middle finger so I ummed and aaaaahed about it went back for it and it was gone. It's still one of the most magnificent rings I have ever seen and I am kicking myself for not buying it, I've never seen anything similar to it before or since....

So rather than buyers remorse or almost buyers remorse I have the pieces that got away..... :lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1414242651|3772452 said:
I am the opposite I have jewellery that I regret not buying. I try something on, love it, procrastinate (ie try and justify it) go back to get it and find out it has been sold. I found the most magnificent wide antique diamond band literally encrusted in OECs and OMCs all white, super sparkly with tiny single cuts in between and the top was platinum which the diamonds were set in but the inside was a smooth rounded piece of rose gold (almost yellow coloured but they swore it was rose), it was soooo comfortable to wear and beautifully crafted. It was too big for my ring finger but it fit on my middle finger so I ummed and aaaaahed about it went back for it and it was gone. It's still one of the most magnificent rings I have ever seen and I am kicking myself for not buying it, I've never seen anything similar to it before or since....

So rather than buyers remorse or almost buyers remorse I have the pieces that got away..... :lol:

What a great idea for a new thread! The one that got away...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes, the old wide Tiffany Atlas bangle and rings, because I love the new designs much better!

cheers--Sharon

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
ArkieB, I too tend to regret the jewellery I didn't buy!

We went to darwin on a holiday this year and of course I visited the paspaley showroom.
I tried on a $25,000 strand which to my utter surprise looked fabulous. 12mm perfect rounds.
Inspired, my husband then leaped up and found some $18,000 earrings which he insisted he buy me.
They were very formal long art-deco style streamlined chandelier evening earrings, something I would only wear a couple of times a year to formal events.
Platinum, specially cut tanzanite and tiny melee. Exquisite and utterly useless to my lifestyle.
To my husband's surprise, the shop assistant's shock and my own inner astonishment, I wrestled him away from the cash register and got ourselves outta there! :confused:
I don't regret not buying the earrings but I *do* wish I had retained that 'earring credit'.
Alas as far as Hubble is concerned, the moment has passed!!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
laraonline-no that credit is still there as it is unrevocable. ;)) You just have to find something of the same value and tell hubby to get out the credit card. I know that all PS'ers will support you on this. :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really glad I didn't buy this jewelry.

screen_shot_2014-10-25_at_5.png

screen_shot_2014-10-25_at_4.png

screen_shot_2014-10-25_at_0.png

screen_shot_2014-10-25_at_1.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
or this ...

screen_shot_2014-10-25_at_6.png

screen_shot_2014-10-25_at_7.png

screen_shot_2014-10-25_at_8.png

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you by any chance have a link for the pig? :devil:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1414282772|3772681 said:

Hell no! :angryfire:
I'll only reveal that when pigs fly.
:lol:

Seriously, I just googled, ugly jewelry, and there it was.

screen_shot_2014-10-25_at_9.png

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Yikes! i feel queasy looking at that 'ugly jewellery' lol

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
lambskin|1414280960|3772668 said:
laraonline-no that credit is still there as it is unrevocable. ;)) You just have to find something of the same value and tell hubby to get out the credit card. I know that all PS'ers will support you on this. :lol:

I wholeheartedly agree lambskin! And I will be sure to pass on your sentiments at an appropriate time (preferably while browsing in a high end jewellery store whilst very far from business stress!!)

A small hurdle is that we very rarely have time to shop together.
It could be years heheh.

I have to say the whole episode did put a smile my face for some time though and it took a while for the heart rate to come down.
(And they say women are impulsive shoppers, sheesh!!)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1414282772|3772681 said:

You mean a sausage link?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice sleuthing there, HopeDream. :dance:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yuck! Kenny, now we can vote for what is the most disgusting piece of jewelry, that bacon or the dead mouse and hey they can work as perfumery too, I bet that after a few days of wear people will not only run away from you due to visual displeasure.

Buy and regret nothing, well, except when I wore designer jewelry with Swarovski, now I have two bags of that junk. Hey, some people will be happy. But they are from my pre-educated days. Otherwise, I buy things I really believe in and they have only surprised me in a good way and I only felt happier with them over time. There were some really good surprises that came out of impulse buys due to strong gut feeling, my latest one is a long story of my favorite piece with an FCD that just got its regrading today and I am dancing around the house.

I think we have to know ourselves but it is easy to be wrong and husbands and other male family members can be a bad influence.:))) Lara, I am glad you did not get those earrings but I do think you should get something you really want instead, like that tennis bracelet you are dreaming of. Hey, if your husband wanted to buy you those earrings, the credit can be applied to your dream bracelet.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
OVincze|1414324791|3772850 said:
There were some really good surprises that came out of impulse buys due to strong gut feeling, my latest one is a long story of my favorite piece with an FCD that just got its regrading today and I am dancing around the house.
Congratulations on your FCD win! exciting!
I like to plan and consider most of my jewellery purchases, I need to know they will give me pleasure for many years to come.
Value is really important to me, but that is not necessarily related to a low purchase price IYKWIM - sometimes better value comes at a higher price point for me.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, you should be sentenced to wear that jewelry, especially the poor dead mouse! :knockout:

When I worked at Tiffany's I wanted a DBY necklace very much. Didn't want to spend the money on it -- DH was out of work then -- but I ate my heart out over them. I'm so glad I didn't buy it -- I wear necklaces seldom & something that delicate would be sitting in a drawer, being useless.

One I regret NOT buying was an absolutely beautiful squash blossom necklace, silver & turquoise, that I saw with my mother in Colorado when we went out there for my sister's wedding. That was 20 million years ago. The workmanship on it was exquisite; it was delicately designed & substantial at the same time, and it cost $1500 back then. My mother & I almost bought it together to share but chickened out in the end. I've been sorry ever since -- my lesson not to pass something up that I KNOW is right.

--- Laurie

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lara, totally agree with you, value can be multifold and emotional value should never be underestimated, I own many pieces that I hold very dear and have very high emotional value to me. I also agree that value does not necessarily come from a low purchase price to the owner, if e.g., I was gifted a Cartier Panthere bangle, then I would certainly not complain.:))) I am not normally into brands so much but there are certain pieces from certain designers I absolutely admire and if I admire one's work, I am happy to wear it even though I make my own too. I think I am an exception to the rule because first and foremost I am a jewelry lover.

I do have regrets when it comes to not buying jewelry, stones, etc. but one cannot have everything.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results