shape
carat
color
clarity

What to buy?

triniti

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking for a while, reading through all (and I do mean all) the threads, admiring your photos, wishing for more disposable income...

Now I have Pearl Fever. And I'm poised to make a purchase. The trouble is, there are two things I really like and can only choose one.

I'm torn between a 7-8mm AAA freshwater dark lavender necklace (the first strand in the photo) and a 9-10mm metallic pink freshwater keshi necklace. Both from PP with strands selected by the very patient Chenai based on color preferences.

If you were a pearl newbie, which one would you choose?

oct_24_2014.jpg

oct_24_2014_2.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, both are beautiful... Does one of the color families work better with your coloring? I mean, the keshi strands looks peachy/pink, and the second looks lavender - usually one or the other are more complementary to a person's skin (unless you'll be wearing these necklaces on top of clothing, then it doesn't really matter).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I would pick the one that goes better with my coloring. I avoid the light orange color families of coral and salmon in my clothing, and I also avoid them in my pearls. So, I would go for the lavender pearls, since I tend to look good in reds and blues.

It is all about your coloring. If you are in heaven when coral fashions are all the rage, then go for those beautiful keshi. :naughty:

Thanks for coming by, and let us know what you decide. :wavey:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everything that's been said so far. I'll add that although of course it's up to you, I can see the keshi more with casual or non-conventional dress and the round lavenders a bit more dressy, formal, conservative, or traditional. And, 7-8 mm is in my opinion pretty small (unless it's rope length or will be doubled or tripled). So, formality and size preference might be additional considerations for you. I think the keshi would get more notice.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I love the lavender strand! :love: But I wear mostly cool colours and they look best with my skin tone. Which do you think you would wear more? Which goes with your typical wardrobe better? That's what I would base my choice on.

PS I am a pearl newbie too, and there really is something to "pearl fever". I check this section of the forum every day too, and have just made my first few small pearl purchases. :) There is something so seductive to their subtle luminosity, isn't there?

triniti

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks everyone for your responses so far! I'm usually good with making decisions, but this time...hooboy. I'm stuck! And it was enough for me to de-lurk and ask the pros...

I'm fair skinned, with light brown/hazel eyes and a short, spiky silver pixie haircut. But I live in south Florida, so I'm out in the sun enough throughout the year to where I have a perpetual light tan. I tend to go for medium to darker jewel tones in clothes (blue, purple, dark green, teal, cranberry) as well as dark grey and black. Yellow looks awful on me but, oddly, peach is okay. Since I work from home mostly, I tend to pair nicer tops and tees with jeans, and wear jewelry every day. Pearls with tee shirts? I'll do that! :bigsmile:

I love the blue overtones in the lavender strand - blue and purple are my favorite colors - but the keshi's multicolored metallic whimsy is mesmerising. *sigh* Decisions...

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Triniti Welcome to your new potently addictive passion. I think it takes time and a few returns to figure out what speaks to you in pearls. I know that when I was a newly and still am, what I thought I wanted in pearls is not what I have ended up keeping and loving. I wouldn't settle, you need to be really excited about your pearls you own. I think you will know when you start trying real pearls on. I try to imagine a strand and what I would wear with it, or would I want to wear it with a particular look. If I grab it everyday and it basically works everyday with lots of clothing, this might be an indicator for you. Given that funds are somewhat limited.

I am loving the lavender strand!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Boy, that's a tough one. Both strands are very versatile and "wearable". I like the color of the lavender, but I adore metallic luster.

You could buy both and return one after living with them for a while. But I warn you, I doubt you would return either.

If I had to choose, I'd say the lavender. (They'd look great twisted together, too!)

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
You might ask if there are any strands of keshis with more of the lavendar tones in ... they also had some peach/pinks that were very pretty. My PP champagne keshis are gorgeous :)

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, it's a tough call. However, if I were a newbie, and could only have one ... I'd get the lavender rounds.

I like the way round pearls feel against skin. Rolling and floating. Kinda sensual.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
You and I have SIMULARITIES! I work from home, live in south Florida, and pair jewels with jeans!!!

Personally from what you had said I'd go with lavender, that's based completely on the colors you wear! Plus it's a stunning color for the area down here!!!

triniti

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate everyone's comments!

ckrickett (we are similar! how cool is that?! :sun: ), ennui, CRDKeshi, bsomlo, Frost Me, EvangelineG, seaurchin, Fly Girl, and marymm - Such great advice from all of you and such a warm welcome - I'm glad I posted here. :D

Since this is only the beginning of my newfound love for pearls, I know I'll find other strands to drool over soon enough!

Lavender it is! Thank you all for helping me decide.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
triniti, you do realize of course, that we will want a photo when you receive them. ;))

triniti

Rough_Rock
ennui: I promise to post a neck shot when I get them! :)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Can't go wrong with the lavender ...my favourite colour ! Just be aware that they may be a bit lighter in colour than the photos but will appear darker when not in direct sunlight..it's just the way that the surface handles the light. Photos often look a bit darker.
They look gorgeous ! Do post photos when they arrive pleeeeeaaaassseeee !!! :clap:

triniti

Rough_Rock
Thanks katbran! I'm really excited about this purchase. I have a feeling this will be the first of many, though I will definitely need to pace myself. :naughty: There are so many pearls that I love the look of already and would like to have - Sea of Cortez, tahitian keshi, metallic freshwater... mmm!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
triniti - Great choice and I look forward to your reaction when you get them (and pix, of course)!

AlyssaBailey

Rough_Rock
Sometimes the kind of accessories to choose depends on the outfit and the total looks you want to achieve. Both will definitely look good on you but I'll choose the first one. It looks more unique and not the usual type of pearls. Actually it looks like a stone to me. So without any doubt, I'll pick the first image. :D

triniti

Rough_Rock
Hello again -- it's been a while. Life's gotten in the way of forums over the last month and I have a lot of yummy posts to read through. I haven't forgot about the pictures I promised!

Sadly, the lavender strand I originally posted about arrived and is being returned. For some reason...it just doesn't look good on my skin. I was pretty sad about that, but pacified myself with a few other things - a silver-blue keshi strand, a pair of WSS leverbacks, a multicolor semi baroque tahitian strand, and a smaller creamy white south sea pearl strand - the last 2 things should be on their way to me soooon.

And now I am majorly over budget for personal spending. Heh.

Pictures to come. For reals!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, triniti, I'm sorry the lavender strand didn't work for you. But, WOW, did you get some great things! I really want to see pictures of the wSS and the Tahitians!

You will wear those earrings a lot. They are classic and timeless.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that's a productive season! Can we see photos of the Keshis and earrings? Everything sounds really good!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
triniti -- are those the POJ silver/blue keshi?

Looking forward to pictures!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Camping for pics!

iammariaberg

Rough_Rock
Both are just wow! but I like the first most. It's just gorgeous :love: Go for it..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results