shape
carat
color
clarity

Just in time for XYZmas, Breaking Bad Action Figures

Should Toys R Us be selling Breaking Bad Action Figures?

• Yes

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel very strongly about this.
It is a very personal gut-level thing.
I lost both of my older brothers to drug abuse.

As a kid I felt the peer pressure to smoke, and do drugs and alcohol.
Of course there was an appeal of being accepted by the cool and in crowd.
I have no idea how/where I got the resolve to stay away since our parents were bad parents and my dad an wife/kid-beating alcoholic.

I wasn't cool.
My brothers were.
Now they're gone ... too young.

Sure, illegal drug users vary.
Some can handle drugs responsibly ... but then there's the fact that they are breaking the law.
I also respect obeying the law.
But quite a few drug users are not as powerful as the drugs and lives are ruined, or worse.

Don't like a law?
Work to change it, but obey it while it is a law.
People don't get to vary on everything.

Drug dealer action figures for sale in toy stores?
My worst nightmare.

What is almost as alarming is viewers of the show sort of 'forgive' this guy's manufacturer and sale of meth (a particularly destructive drug), because writers, directors and actors have produced such a compelling sympathetic back story for this character.
Where in the hell is this country going. :nono:

Like cigarette packaging this show should be required to show those before and after meth user pics.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you ever seen the show Kenny?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lets see if people 15 and up want to play with these cool action figures from Toys R Us.

screen_shot_2014-10-23_at_11.png

screen_shot_2014-10-23_at_0.png

screen_shot_2014-10-23_at_1.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1414090621|3771671 said:
No, and that is not relevant and the question shows you have drunk the Kool Aide that sets aside morality.

Meth production and sales: Bad.
Action figures of people who do that: Bad.
Selling them in a toy store: Bad.

That said I truly deeply appreciate good films and TV shows.
I recognize talent.
But what's next? ... Action figures of a cool guy in a leather jacket and awesome hat who molests, tortures and eats children for sale at toy stores with his accessories, a windowless van and a bag of candy because the TV show was so good?
But, Kenny ... Have you seen the show? It's so well made!

Come on, people.

BTW, the Florida mom, who got these dolls pulled from shelves, enjoys and loves the show ... but somehow her brain and her moral compass still works.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I don't have a problem with the figurines existing (I'm a huge BB fan), however I do not believe that they should be sold at Toys R Us.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1414090896|3771675 said:
No, and that is not relevant and the question shows you have drunk the Kool Aide that sets aside morality.

I recognize talent.
But what's next? ... Action figures of a cool guy in a leather jacket and awesome hat who molests, tortures and eats children for sale at toy stores with his accessories, a windowless van and a bag of candy because the TV show was so good?

Come on, people.

BTW, the Florida mom, who got these dolls pulled from shelves, enjoys and loves the show ... but somehow her brain and her moral compass still works.

In other words, everyone should just accept your word as gospel?

In general, I find people on Pricescope to be intelligent, well informed and to reflect on things. Even though I disagree with many and I disagree vehemently with some, I respect them enough to listen to their arguments and to try to understand why they reach their conclusions. To just say "you are wrong" and conclude that they are idiots, sheeple or even lower terms that I see being slung about (not at PS, just to be clear, but on social media at large) is to dismiss them and their experiences. It is very comfortable, of course, but it does not lead to growth, either personal or social. It is very convenient for some to have a divided society, where people cannot talk rationally about issues but, instead, call names and point fingers.

Do you think that the people you just called immoral are going to be open to listening to your arguments? Obviously not. So what does your rant accomplish? The people who already agreed with you may (or may not) be nodding their heads but they already agreed with you. The people who didn't agree with you (your theoretical audience, the people whose opinion you want to change) probably didn't get past the first two lines. Did you convert anyone to your line of thought? No.

If you had stated your arguments calmly and responded to the counterarguments that many posters have made, you might have convinced some that, yes, the figures should have been recalled.

As to your point, there are Hellraiser, Jason and Psycho action figurines. No, they are not aimed at children, as these also aren't.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1414103024|3771815 said:

I recognize talent.

Come on, people.

In general, I find people on Pricescope to be intelligent, well informed and to reflect on things. Even though I disagree with many and I disagree vehemently with some, I respect them enough to listen to their arguments and to try to understand why they reach their conclusions. To just say "you are wrong" and conclude that they are idiots, sheeple or even lower terms that I see being slung about (not at PS, just to be clear, but on social media at large) is to dismiss them and their experiences. It is very comfortable, of course, but it does not lead to growth, either personal or social. It is very convenient for some to have a divided society, where people cannot talk rationally about issues but, instead, call names and point fingers.

Do you think that the people you just called immoral are going to be open to listening to your arguments? Obviously not. So what does your rant accomplish? The people who already agreed with you may (or may not) be nodding their heads but they already agreed with you. The people who didn't agree with you (your theoretical audience, the people whose opinion you want to change) probably didn't get past the first two lines. Did you convert anyone to your line of thought? No.

If you had stated your arguments calmly and responded to the counterarguments that many posters have made, you might have convinced some that, yes, the figures should have been recalled.

As to your point, there are Hellraiser, Jason and Psycho action figurines. No, they are not aimed at children, as these also aren't.

Thank you. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

ALL I asked is whether you, Kenny, had SEEN the show. For someone arguing so vehemently against them knowing there are horror figures sold at Toys R Us, I just wanted to see if you had seen the show. That's it.

You know, as a mom of a 7 and 9 year old, I could care less. If I took my kids in Toys r us (which I don't, I find amazon prime to be of better value,) my kids wouldn't even know what those figures meant. A bald guy and a kid in a hoodie. Oh the horror. :roll: And if they were older and DID, I am sure they'd rather spend their money on something else. :roll: Stop assuming these action figures are going to turn everyone into a meth head. It's complete melodrama. I get you've had bad stuff happen to you. I am not trying to be insensitive, but damn! Not every mother on the planet thinks this is detrimental to their kids.

And it doesn't make them a sheep, a "kool-aid" drinker, or ignorant. They just have bigger fish to fry.......

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never seen the show. Some things, even tho they're "toys" should just be sold at non-children stores, and that's just my opinion obviously. And could be I'm just a prude, I dunno. I live in the heartland of meth-it's like candy here, so I dunno if I could feel sympathy/empathy for the guy. I don't get some of the "adult" toys. If it was Capt. Picard, or Toothless, I'd be all over that, to display. I'm more of a big kid than adult kid anyway I guess. In my opinion it glorifies meth, which is sooo not glamorous but people get into it daily, hard core, even tho they see the end results of it.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
soxfan|1414107050|3771839 said:
Lady_Disdain|1414103024|3771815 said:

I recognize talent.

Come on, people.

Thank you. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

ALL I asked is whether you, Kenny, had SEEN the show. For someone arguing so vehemently against them knowing there are horror figures sold at Toys R Us, I just wanted to see if you had seen the show. That's it.

You know, as a mom of a 7 and 9 year old, I could care less. If I took my kids in Toys r us (which I don't, I find amazon prime to be of better value,) my kids wouldn't even know what those figures meant. A bald guy and a kid in a hoodie. Oh the horror. :roll: And if they were older and DID, I am sure they'd rather spend their money on something else. :roll: Stop assuming these action figures are going to turn everyone into a meth head. It's complete melodrama. I get you've had bad stuff happen to you. I am not trying to be insensitive, but damn! Not every mother on the planet thinks this is detrimental to their kids.

And it doesn't make them a sheep, a "kool-aid" drinker, or ignorant. They just have bigger fish to fry.......

+1 for Lady Disdain and +1 for soxfan

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Now, pass me that Kool-aid! :lol: :lol:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, maybe Toys R Us wasn't the best venue of choice. However, anyone who has seen the show would know it doesn't glorify drug use. The central theme is that drugs are horrible and ruin your life.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1414111003|3771869 said:
Hey, maybe Toys R Us wasn't the best venue of choice. However, anyone who has seen the show would know it doesn't glorify drug use. The central theme is that drugs are horrible and ruin your life.

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

EXACTLY. Do not judge if you haven't watched the show!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Article about responses from Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston:
http://time.com/3535307/aaron-paul-barbie-toys-r-us/

The actor says Barbies are more damaging to kids than meth-dealing doll
Bryan Cranston Responds to Mom Against Breaking Bad Toys
Toys R Us Pulls Breaking Bad Toys
Breaking Bad Action Figures? Really, Toys R Us?

Under pressure from angry parents, Toys “R” Us pulled Breaking Bad figures from their shelves Wednesday. But Aaron Paul, who played Jesse Pinkman on the show, was perturbed by the concession, tweeting out:

Aaron Paul ✔ @aaronpaul_8
Follow
Wait, so @ToysRUs pulled all of the Breaking Bad figures from their shelves and still sells Barbie? Hmmmm...I wonder what is more damaging?
5:17 PM - 23 Oct 2014

Though the Breaking Bad toys were sold in the adult-action-figure area of Toys “R” Us stores, parents said that the figures were “a dangerous deviation from [Toys R Us's] family friendly values.” After all, Breaking Bad does follow a teacher and his former student as they try to cook and sell meth, and the dolls come with detachable bags of drugs and cash. A campaign on Change.org to ban the toys that had over 9,000 signatures as of Thursday evening.

But Paul makes a legitimate argument—at least about the potentially damaging effects of Barbie dolls: A recent study published in The Journal of Sex Roles found that girls who played with a buxom Barbie dressed up as a doctor thought they had fewer career choices than those who played with an amorphous Mrs. Potato Head doll.

No word yet on how playing with a Jesse Pinkman toy affects major life choices.

Paul isn’t the only Breaking Bad star to weigh in on the conflict. Last week, Bryan Cranston, tweeted about the toys, too:

Bryan Cranston ✔ @BryanCranston
Follow
Toys R Us puts Breaking Bad toys on 'indefinite sabbatical.' Word on the street is that they were sent to Belize. Nicely played Florida Mom.
11:20 AM - 22 Oct 2014

Tough break for Breaking Bad. But what did they expect? Walt and Jesse always did have trouble moving product.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results