shape
carat
color
clarity

Peach engagement ring suggestions

itsapeach

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Been browsing for altogether too many hours around here and elsewhere so thought I'd request some of your expert assistance with selecting an engagement ring for my girlfriend. She's left me some crumbs to follow (thanks to Pinterest, of course) and thus I'd like to surprise her with something that she'll love.

What she's pinned is entirely colored gems, mostly "peach/champagne" sapphires set in a simple halo, Pave rose gold band, though at this point due to what is apparently the vast variation in sapphires I feel that selecting a stone should be the first step, then I'll move on to getting the perfect setting. What she left for me I feel are on the low side of what I'd like to spend, so I've been trying to find something that'd be more fitting for my budget. High end is undetermined, but likely <$7K is where I'll settle in. Would prefer less in order to leave room for a nice setting and the events that will follow the proposal.

I'll post what she likes below followed by what I've been able to dig up so far, I'd appreciate any advice on whether I'm going the right direction...especially any insight on the specific stones or vendors are appreciated, I've done enough reading on this to be dangerous that I'm concerned about the cut resulting in windowing and extinction, and whether the color is appropriate for the rose gold band.

What she posted:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/980680...erest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/195202965074575354/
Not thrilled with this since it's Morganite; I have durability concerns.

http://dannyhils.tumblr.com/post/80756549180/peach-champagne-sapphire-ring-swoon-not-as-expensive

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/195202965073788337/
Vintage ring, likely more useful since it's also halo but the band and antique-y flair for the band.

She also posted a pink moissanite that I won't repeat since it looks this is the wrong place, though I have been looking at Spinels and pink diamonds as well, though those go on the less and more pricey side of what she left for me, however comments on those choices would be appreciated as well.

The stones I'm interested in at the moment:

http://www.allsapphires.com/peach-page-5/987p/#cc-m-product-9154638371

http://www.allsapphires.com/peach-page-5/1027p/#cc-m-product-9155508971

http://www.starruby.in/store/ceylon...eated-orangish-yellow-sapphire-from-sri-lanka

http://www.starruby.in/store/padpar...-eye-clean-unheated-padparadscha-sapphire-grs

http://www.starruby.in/store/padpar...ified-unheated-oval-cut-padparadscha-sapphire

A few at Gemfix, I really like the 3.08ct peachy pink guy below. Unfortunately it looks like these guys will be gone for a few weeks though and I'd really like to get moving on this in order that I can get it in hand and working with a jeweler on a setting.
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_pink.html

Thanks everyone! Hope this isn't tl;dr territory here, I absolutely appreciate any help that you can give!

sapphire_pink_477.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could I suggest Julia B Jewelry on Etsy? She tends to have many peachy colored stones including sapphire, and she does lovely work in rose gold.. Her work is also quite reasonably priced.

S

SparkliesLuver

Gary has a pad that might be worth looking into.
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

Dana has a pretty pink sapphire. I'm sure it's too pink but I still want to point it out.
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6942

And Ryan has a unique pink tourmaline that might be worth looking into as well.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/202601878/307ct-pink-tourmaline-mozambique?ref=shop_home_active_4

Have to add one more. I'd be remiss if I didn't, especially for an engagement ring. It looks beautiful. I know it's a zircon but if you plan to halo it, it'd probably be well-protected. It's from John.
http://johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/gemstone-Zircon3279.html

Pictures are listed respectively. I also second Mochiko's recommendation about JuliaB on Etsy. She's great to work with and reasonable.

771520.jpg

26417.jpg

_23242.jpg

szc9.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Here are a couple you might check out, from excellent lapidaries/vendors.
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

http://www.spectralgems.net/spinel/

I'd also suggest looking at the Gemfix sapphire in the 3rd row, far right. The one you posted might be nice but it is less saturated & on my monitor, has some brown -- but you could ask them about that. Finding the sapphire takes some time. It's not a thing you can do in a few days unless you are very very very lucky & happen along at the right time for the exact stone you want. In the 10 days until Andrew at Gemfix returns, you can communicate with vendors about other stones & you may find what you want. My point is that a 10-day wait may be frustrating but it isn't major time in the usual sapphire hunt. Luckily, your budget does give you a lot of choice, so it could go quicker.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinels come in that peachy pink color too, so I suggest looking for those as well. Here's one from Gemfix as an example.

spinel_312_1_.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deskjockey|1413378629|3767335 said:
SparkliesLuver|1413374158|3767315 said:
Have to add one more. I'd be remiss if I didn't, especially for an engagement ring. It looks beautiful. I know it's a zircon but if you plan to halo it, it'd probably be well-protected. It's from John.
http://johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/gemstone-Zircon3279.html

I think I just drooled. Wow that is pretty.

It's a beautiful cut, but I would warn about that stone, even in a halo, because it has lots of crown facets, which are likely to get abraded over time as zircon is not hard/durable enough as an everyday e-ring stone.

Sapphire and spinel are more appropriate as far as durablity/hardness is concerned, for an e-ring stone.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the Pinterest inspiration pics, your GF seems to like the barely-there color and not-large center stones... how about this peach sapphire from Jeffery Davies? You have to log in to see the price but it is less than $150.00 - check out the video in the link -
http://jefferydavies.com/inventory/product/140-sapphire-86ct

jeff_davies_ps0341.jpg

itsapeach

Rough_Rock
And down the rabbit hole again today. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! royalstarrynight, I really do like the color of that stone...I know that Pads are more expensive but a pretty subjective title to obtain, so it'd be great to get a similar color (maybe lighter?) without the bloated pricetag.

I am thinking larger ct weight is in order, I know she's not the type to need something over-the-top and would be happy with anything, but I feel like what she posted may have been due to the pricetags more than the size. Maybe I'm wrong and she'd prefer something more manageable and delicate?

marymm, that same comment goes for Jeff's stone, beautiful but maybe a little small; I'll keep my eye out on his site however.

mochiko42, I've contacted Julia B today so hopefully can start some dialogue based on ring designs she's made and possibly finding a stone, I did have one of her rings favorited already so sounds like I was on the right path.

SparkliesLuver, I love the Pad at finewater; this will definitely be on my shortlist although again it's smaller than maybe I'd prefer. The zircon on the other hand is stunning, though might be on the other end of the size spectrum at 9.38ct! Additionally I am concerned about the durability. I've been peeking around at Spinels but I think that's the farthest down Moh's scale I'd like to venture.

And JewelFreak, your comment on patience is well taken :) I found Gemfix last night at about 6PM, must have been just after they left because my call went to voicemail and email got an automatic reply. I absolutely have my eyes on the Pad that you mention, and TL I've bookmarked their Spinel collection.

Meanwhile I do have a Pad and a champagne diamond coming into one of my local jewelers here tomorrow, so I'll be excited to get my eyes on what these stones might look like in person. I'll try to get some decent pictures to post up here for reference, though as I've seen getting those may not be the easiest prospect so wish me luck.

And many thanks again to everyone that's responded! I'll figure this out one way or another...

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I am thinking larger ct weight is in order, I know she's not the type to need something over-the-top and would be happy with anything, but I feel like what she posted may have been due to the pricetags more than the size.
Please concentrate on the size in mm for the stone you want. Sapphires face up smaller than other stones of the same carat weight and some are cut so deep that you are paying for weight in the belly (pavilion) which you cannot see. but are paying for if you concentrate on weight.

Hoping to see some photos of the stones you see today. If they don't pan out, I would recommend you get the Gemfix sapphire you first posted as it appears to meet many of your criteria from the stats and pics and looks to be a pretty stone.

It's also better to concentrate on sapphire or spinel for an engagement ring for durability as others have pointed out.

itsapeach

Rough_Rock
OK, had a chance today to review the two stones that they had on hand for me. The champagne diamond was thankfully not too brown, more of a yellow though certainly not peach. The sapphire was closer to peach, though a little more on the pink side, certainly a beautiful stone though. Stats and pics below, I appreciate any input or suggestions on which way. I'm leaning toward the sapphire, though the ones available through Gemfix look better for pricing, the one I saw today was not a Pad but the pricing was about as high as one.

Sapphire: $3,437, 1.79ct, Oval mixed brilliant cut, Orange/Pink with GIA certification
Diamond: $4,035, 1.13ct, mixed brilliant cut, Champagne/yellow rated SI (I could not detect inclusions from the top, a light one from the bottom

She also had a line on a 2.10ct cushion peach sapphire for $4,035 withough GIA cert, perhaps if these my preference I could see that one as well. I do like the idea of going local if possible, she even mentioned the idea of setting the stone in a solitaire until my girlfriend could select the setting she preferred. I'd also then have a local jeweler to guarantee the stone, perform any maintenance and so on. I don't, however, want to overpay when I could get something similar or better elsewhere with a little legwork.

I'll post as many good pictures as I can below, apologize for the poor quality. I'd appreciate your input!

20141017_111152.jpg

20141017_111244.jpg

20141017_111252.jpg

20141017_111340.jpg

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I don't care for either one of those. The sapphire is poorly cut, looks to be heavily included and is overpriced. The diamond is showing a lot of brown, I see quite a bit of yellow but a lot of brown too.

Check out Africa Gems, particularly the orange Sapphire section. There are a few very well cut peach colored sapphires slipped in there.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
GregS|1413600515|3768884 said:
I don't care for either one of those. The sapphire is poorly cut, looks to be heavily included and is overpriced. The diamond is showing a lot of brown, I see quite a bit of yellow but a lot of brown too.
Ditto

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I just looked through Africa Gems again and wasn't enthralled with anything. Gemfix has a very nice certified Pad, 2.35 ct. at less than $4k. I know you're in a hurry, but after seeing the 2 stones your jeweler is trying to sell you I'd like to encourage you to become a bit more familiar with what's out there.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
GregS said:
I just looked through Africa Gems again and wasn't enthralled with anything. Gemfix has a very nice certified Pad, 2.35 ct. at less than $4k. I know you're in a hurry, but after seeing the 2 stones your jeweler is trying to sell you I'd like to encourage you to become a bit more familiar with what's out there.

GregS said:

Yes to both of these.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has she particularly expressed any thoughts to diamonds - likes them, don't like them or neutral? Some only want a colored gem, not diamond, so better to find that out because you are comparing apples to oranges...

On another note, does the diamond you are interested in come with a report? that carat weight and color seems awfully high to me :confused: without knowing any other specifics about it.

itsapeach

Rough_Rock
OK, so I've been patient and Gemfix should be opening again shortly for me to pick up the stone I want. Problem is now I'm torn between a few of their offerings, so I'm hoping for some insight on which might be my best bet. All a nice light-ish peachy/pink, two Pads in there as well.

First is the non-Pad. The largest stone at 3.02ct, 9x6.8mm face up, stated VVS. "Clean and bright, well cut. Certified heat only, GIA lab report included"; $3,250.

I really like the color, and feel like it may even be more of a Pad color than the next which is certified as such, perhaps without the inflated price for the arbitrary color certification?

Second is a Pad, 2.35ct, 8.9/6.9mm face up stated VVS. "Lightest peach-pink, bright and flashy. Beautifully cut, eye clean with "sprinkles" visible at about 4 inches. Certified Padparadscha, GIA lab report included." $3,450.

This one almost seems lighter and more pink than the first, though it's certified Pad and smaller, so according to Cinderellie74's post maybe less unwieldy? The rings she's left me to find online are all in the 1-2.5ct range, though initially I figured that was due to not wanting to ask for a larger pricetag...

Third is also a Pad, 2.02ct, 8.5x6mm face up, VVS. "Mmmm...sparkly peachy-apricot color oval. Flashy and clean, well cut. Certified Padparadscha, GIA lab report included." $3,950

This is the darkest and also smallest of the three stones from the pictures, which I like although it is likely darker than what she's put on Pinterest. It's also the most expensive, which may be an indication of the more sought-after color?

I'd appreciate anyone's insight as to which I should select!

sapphire_pink_0.jpg

sapphire_pink_467.jpg

sapphire_pink_469.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Are you going to halo it? I like the shape and cut of the first and middle stones the best. The middle one is the lightest and will need a halo to showcase its color.

The last one looks like it has a lot of brown. I'm not sure how much brown the first one will have.

While an GIA cert stating that a stone is a pad seems arbitrary, it is not so arbitrary in that pads do not have a strong brown modifier.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a nice size, well cut (though a bit different icrhink it would match the setting and goes well with the color of the stone) in budget and a shape she has pinned. He even said " reminiscent to a Morganite"
http://www.concavegems.com/detail.cfm?zNum=6811

uploadfromtaptalk1414172489259.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shape, color I like 1 and 2 the best.

Face up size will look identical almost (you are paying more/ carat weight on the second) seeing in person will help you figure out which one you like the best.

Any enhancements done to the 2nd stone?

itsapeach

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses!

pregcurious, yes this ring will have a halo. I agree with your reservations, the second stone seems too faint.

DandT, it does not seem that any enhancements have been done, especially considering the mention of "sprinkles" that are visible at about 4 inches, those would fade through a heat process correct?

And thanks for the further recommendation Niel! I do really like the round shape, seems like that would indicate cutting more from the rough, correct? Like the color too.

At this point I'm almost leaning toward the first from Gemfix, I like the color and the price seems right; can anybody tell from the picture if that's a sizeable window that I see?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
itsapeach|1414174318|3772151 said:
Thanks for the responses!

pregcurious, yes this ring will have a halo. I agree with your reservations, the second stone seems too faint.

DandT, it does not seem that any enhancements have been done, especially considering the mention of "sprinkles" that are visible at about 4 inches, those would fade through a heat process correct?

And thanks for the further recommendation Niel! I do really like the round shape, seems like that would indicate cutting more from the rough, correct? Like the color too.

At this point I'm almost leaning toward the first from Gemfix, I like the color and the price seems right; can anybody tell from the picture if that's a sizeable window that I see?

I'm not sure what you mean about the cut. Yeah the shape is usually determine by the shape of the rough. I meant the actual way they faceted the stone. It's called concave cut. Its a kid of cutting that makes the stone look more "shimmery" vs a stone with larger facets that are more "flashy" if that makes sense.

You can google concave cut on YouTube and find videos. Im a fan of that stone just because I'm a fan of rounds on colored stones. Helps avoid extinction areas. If you email him and see if he'd come down on price-ive seen him go down from the list price, as well as provide hand shots.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I think I like the 1st one best too. The middle one is too light & the 3rd on my monitor shows some brown. I'm glad you are considering it & not getting hung up on the moniker "padparascha," which is given to different sapphires depending on who does the giving and which automatically raises the price a bundle. It's basically a marketing name anyway.

I don't see a window in any of these 3. You're probably seeing reflection in the 1st one -- facets are clearly visible; with a window you would see through the stone to the background, or in some photos a blank area.

Any of these stones could look quite different in reality than they do online, of course. You could order all 3 & send back what you don't want.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
itsapeach|1414167009|3772113 said:
OK, so I've been patient and Gemfix should be opening again shortly for me to pick up the stone I want. Problem is now I'm torn between a few of their offerings, so I'm hoping for some insight on which might be my best bet. All a nice light-ish peachy/pink, two Pads in there as well.

First is the non-Pad. The largest stone at 3.02ct, 9x6.8mm face up, stated VVS. "Clean and bright, well cut. Certified heat only, GIA lab report included"; $3,250.

I really like the color, and feel like it may even be more of a Pad color than the next which is certified as such, perhaps without the inflated price for the arbitrary color certification?

Second is a Pad, 2.35ct, 8.9/6.9mm face up stated VVS. "Lightest peach-pink, bright and flashy. Beautifully cut, eye clean with "sprinkles" visible at about 4 inches. Certified Padparadscha, GIA lab report included." $3,450.

This one almost seems lighter and more pink than the first, though it's certified Pad and smaller, so according to Cinderellie74's post maybe less unwieldy? The rings she's left me to find online are all in the 1-2.5ct range, though initially I figured that was due to not wanting to ask for a larger pricetag...

Third is also a Pad, 2.02ct, 8.5x6mm face up, VVS. "Mmmm...sparkly peachy-apricot color oval. Flashy and clean, well cut. Certified Padparadscha, GIA lab report included." $3,950

This is the darkest and also smallest of the three stones from the pictures, which I like although it is likely darker than what she's put on Pinterest. It's also the most expensive, which may be an indication of the more sought-after color?

I'd appreciate anyone's insight as to which I should select!

I like all three of those stones. for myself I would pick #3, I just like the intensity and variety of colors in it, makes it interesting. I think buying a colored stone for someone else can be tricky, because color is a personal thing. It sounds like she likes the softer more peachy colors in that case the first stone would be good, nice size and color. The middle one has inclusions that may bother some.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually like the middle stone the best. The top one has a bit of a gray/brown cast, as does the third, although the third is much worse. The middle one doesn't have that, but is quite light in tone. I might be tempted to see it in person. These stones are not easy to find and not exactly plentiful. When are you wanting to propose?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered Gabriel and Co, Beverly K or Engagement Rings Direct (now brilliantly engaged) or some of the recommended Etsy vendors that do a fantastic well priced halo for the setting? The ones above are fairly ordinary.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results