shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Gold Halo Engagement Ring Problems

katiebird

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! After months of lurking I finally decided to post my new engagement ring. We had it made at a local jeweler but now feeling buyers remorse due to several details. Or lack thereof....I'm wishing I had gone with a more detailed setting, same floral halo concept, but with the pretty milgrain and other little embellishments.

Stats:
1.24 ct diamond
E color
S12 clarity
Cut=Good
Set in 18k gold on size 4.5

img_3202_0.jpg

Issue: The center stone could be more flush with the halo mount. I can put my fingernail in between the gap. This gap makes the center stone look like it has a dark lining around it. I do not want this to happen again when I update the setting.
Question: To change this I'm wondering if 6 prongs (instead of 4) would make the center stone appear more flush with the halo? Or even set the center stone like this Laurie Sarah ring?
http://lauriesarahdesigns.com/prasi...g-in-14kt-yellow-gold-ls1931?filter_name=pras
Has anyone had this gap/spacing issue? Did you let it be or change it? Do you think 6 (or more) yellow prong would look bad?

img_3522.jpg
img_3521.jpg

Thank you for your comments!
~Katie

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Hi fellow floral halo lover :). I'm fairly new to all of this myself, but my ring (Tacori 55-2rd65) has a halo that sits flush against the center stone, and it only has 4 prongs. Perhaps the photos I posted of mine will be helpful to show the jeweler if you plan to have them fix it?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tacori-engagement-ring-upgrade.206816/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tacori-engagement-ring-upgrade.206816/[/URL]

Your ring is gorgeous and the yellow gold really suits you. I think it will look fantastic after a few tweaks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring. You either need to raise the stone, to tuck the halo under it to eliminate it. Or you need a bezel.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is neat too:

s121997rgmo-1-500x500.jpg

s121997rgmo-4-500x500.jpg

s121997rgmo-3-500x500.jpg

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1414033487|3771392 said:
This one is neat too:
Gosh, that second one is gorgeous! Who is the designer?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I am actually getting that Stuller ring from IDJewelry for my next stone in 18k. :appl: You can call Luann at IDJ to help you. She is awesome!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamondbug, are you getting the Stuller X1 alloy for the gold? I would totally advise you to do that if you are getting white gold (not for yellow, obviously).

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gypsy, yep I will do that. I was just reading about the Stuller 1x. I am waiting to get eyes on the stone before ordering the setting but that is the plan for this second!! Thank you for your help with the emerald cuts but my sister decided not to get the emerald stone. She found out that she needed a much BIGGER stone to appreciate the step cut :o so she talked me into selling her my ring that I accidently left behind while visiting her :oops: so I am looking for a mrb for me now!! :appl:

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
OP I was going to tell you that Luann gave me an awesome price on the setting in 18k. If you decide to go with it, call around coz it could be a big price range from different vendors.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's funny. Musical rings. :)

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Derbygal, I have not seen that A Jaffe ring. I love love his designs and can't pick a favorite. Hoping I will be lucky enough to have one of his rings in the future but for now it is not in budget :(sad

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully an A. Jaffe is in both our futures some day. :wavey:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good custom settings can be very expensive.

Have you looked into upgrading the diamond to fill the gap? In yellow gold, you could easily drop a color grade or two, and add in the money you might have used on a new setting. If you're not happy with the setting, then this won't work. But if it's just the gap that bothers you, going up in center stone size would certainly close it in. And it would give you a larger center stone. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results