shape
carat
color
clarity

family halloween movies

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to have a friend over and us and our kids could watch 1 or 2 movies before Halloween, age ranges 8-12. So nothing too scary. I'm thinking of Gremlins, and also all the old Abbott and Costello movies, and the original Frankenstein.
Any classic or contemporary movies I'm missing that it would be fun to watch for Halloween?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hocus Pocus
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Monster House

Those are my top three favorites, good for kids in that age range. Casper is popular this time of year, I would avoid. The language is NOT appropriate for a PG movie.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pumpkin? Might be a bit young for a 12 year old though.

Just throwing it out there, even as a teenager, watching Gremlins freaked me out. And then Furby's came out...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E.T.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

The Neverending Story

Beetlejuice

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Hope they enjoy whichever movies you choose...sounds like a fun evening!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Cartoons:
Hotel Transylvania
ParaNorman
Coraline
Corpse Bride
Casper
Frankenweenie
Monster House

Non-cartoons:
Beetlejuice
The Haunted Mansion
The Addams Family
Ghostbusters

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't realize how many of these we have watched! Yeah Gremlins can be pretty scary (doesn't an adult get eaten or something?) so maybe need to save that one for later.
I like hocus pocus and haunted mansion, also maybe young Frankenstein. The kids that are coming over have watched all the Abbott and Costello ones, but I will also look around if there is a black and white scary movie of that generation that hasn't been watched to death.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone remember Watcher in the Woods? I loved it as a kid but don't remember how scary it really is.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beetlejuice. Maybe Carrie if they are mature for their age.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lambskin|1414200537|3772328 said:
Beetlejuice. Maybe Carrie if they are mature for their age.

LOL doesn't that movie begin with a bunch of naked chicks throwing bloody tampons at Carrie?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We did Beetlejuice with same group before! good one. Carrie, no way. Maybe when they are in High School.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few that I can think of:

Beetlejuice (this is listed as a Certificate 15 apparently!!!)

Witches

Witches of Eastwick

Jason and the Argonauts (it has skeletons in it)

Casper (may be too kiddie for the 12yo)

The Little Vampire

Hocus Pocus

The Others

Van Helsing

Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the film)

The Sixth Sense (again, a 15!)

Signs

Ghostbusters

Addams Family

And the original Swedish version "Let The Right One In" is great, however, definitely one for when they are older.

DK :))

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the suggestions, definitely keeping some of these in reserve for next Halloween!
We are going to watch Monster Squad, which is something my husband's brother recommended and looks fun!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw Carrie tonight. Had not seen the movie for a long time. Forgot about the tampon throwing part and that John Travolta was in it. My kids are in junior high and just thought that the girls were mean and the mom nuts.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, our DVD did not arrive in time, so me and kids watched MST3K Werewolf. And the grownups watched "The innkeepers" which I recommend. It is the traditional haunting story using suspense and scares versus lots of gore/grotesqueness, and so would probably would be suitable for preteens and up as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results