shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut too deep?

princess152

Rough_Rock
Hi I am new to this site and I am just learning about diamonds.
From these measurements 6.48 x 6.26 x 5.02 can you tell if this 1.52 ct Princess is cut too deep. Would I see a black shadow on/under the table? I can't seem to find any charts or tools to tell me about these numbers.
I can tell you it is graded as a Very good cut, very good polish and symmetry.
Thanks so much for your help.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What lab did the grading? I don't think that GIA grades cut on princess cuts.

princess152

Rough_Rock
EGL VS2 G color princess very good cut, very good polish & Symmetry. 6.48 x 6.26 x 5.02

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
Can you post the cert and any other figures you have?

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
I think the diamond faces up quite well dimensionally, however it is a deep stone. I would look for something a little less deep unless you've seen this stone and are happy with its performance.

princess152

Rough_Rock
Thats all I know about the diamond. I don't have any other information on the diamond then that.
I had read that if a diamond is cut too deep then it can show a dark area when looking directly down on it.
I just wanted to know if these measurements tell that this diamond is cut too deep.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
princess152|1414116943|3771908 said:
I can't seem to find any charts or tools to tell me about these numbers.
You can't select a princess cut diamond by numbers. You will need high-resolution photos and/or videos, and ASET images.

princess152 said:
EGL VS2 G color princess very good cut, very good polish & Symmetry.
Red flag...

Edited to delete the second red flag (no information available about diamond), because I had assumed you were the buyer and that the seller was not providing information other than the EGL grading and dimensions.

princess152

Rough_Rock
Thanks Laurenk,

Hubby bought me a princess diamond and at first I was so excited. The more I stared at it the more it just didn't seem right. I found this site and starting reading about princess diamonds. There were a few pictures posted and my diamond looked just like those pictures. Posters had suggested that the owners of those diamonds returned them as they were cut too deep and that is why they looked like a blackish shadow. My diamond looked like that too. Posters commented that if you weren't happy with the appearance then one should trust there gut feelings and return the diamond. I trusted my gut feeling and we returned the diamond this week. But I just wanted to know that my diamond was indeed a deep cut.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Will you be shopping for a replacement diamond? Are you still interested in a princess cut? If so, please post your budget, and other criteria/goals (e.g., clarity and color), and you will get lots of help here selecting a better diamond.

Are you keeping your setting? (i.e., would your replacement diamond need to have similar dimensions to your old 6.48 x 6.26 stone?)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is a 6.2x6.4x4.56 and weighs 1.51cts. But reiterating what everyone else said, you can't really go by the numbers on fancy cuts.

858080_640347307647_755868469_0.jpg

princess152

Rough_Rock
drk14|1414122446|3771945 said:
You can't select a princess cut diamond by numbers. You will need high-resolution photos and/or videos, and ASET images.

princess152 said:
EGL VS2 G color princess very good cut, very good polish & Symmetry.
Red flag...

princess152 said:
Thats all I know about the diamond. I don't have any other information on the diamond then that.
Red flag...

Yes we know now that EGL is a Red Flag. I have been reading a lot more and gaining knowledge.
It was from EGL CA so better ratings then some of the other EGL.

We went to a Gemologist! We were planning on purchasing a Round 1-1.5 ct GIA diamond....I wanted a VS2 eye clean Excellent/Ideal cut. The Gemologist persuaded us the Princess fit into the setting better and that a round didn't suit the setting that we had.
GIA doesn't grade princess diamonds. So next thing I knew we had bought a Princess diamond.
I told him when I returned the diamond that I had read all about deep cut diamonds and how they cast a dark shadow over the stone and that we wanted our money back and he refunded us immediately. I am sad as I really was loving a princess cut now!

princess152

Rough_Rock
drk14|1414123394|3771951 said:
Will you be shopping for a replacement diamond? Are you still interested in a princess cut? If so, please post your budget, and other criteria/goals (e.g., clarity and color), and you will get lots of help here selecting a better diamond.

Are you keeping your setting? (i.e., would your replacement diamond need to have similar dimensions to your old 6.48 x 6.26 stone?)

Hi and thanks for the help. I will be replacing my stone and keeping my setting. We had bought a semi mount that I loved prior to looking for a diamond. The head can be replaced so not worried about that but would like a 1.52 ct again.
Just a bit gun shy now about buying again. Scared I will end up with another mistake.

princess152

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild|1414123610|3771952 said:
Mine is a 6.2x6.4x4.56 and weighs 1.51cts. But reiterating what everyone else said, you can't really go by the numbers on fancy cuts.

Beautiful Rings!!!

princess152

Rough_Rock
drk14|1414122446|3771945 said:

I live in Canada, and I have never heard of any of the Jewelers offering any of these high-resolution photos and/or videos,and ASET images here. It has only been on some of these sites that I am learning about this.
Do all Jewelers in the United States offer this?
Do you only get these results from on line diamond sites or do you go to Gemologists. I am going investigate this more here where I live.

Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. Not all jewlers do this. Because the majority of jewelers kinda suck.

But the jewelers most concerned with offering the best cut possible do. All AGS0 princesses (the best of the best) have ASETs on the lab report.

And NO jeweler who is looking out for YOUR interests over their own would be offering you an EGL princess.

You can read through this thread.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/princess-cut-diamond-input-feedback-needed.200247/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/princess-cut-diamond-input-feedback-needed.200247/[/URL]
Here is the pertinent part of it though:

Those diamonds could be gorgeous, or complete dogs. GIA does not grade their princesses for performance. Only AGS does. And if those diamonds are graded by any lab other than GIA or AGS you shouldn't be considering them at all.

EGL is banned from Rapnet. And people are suing over how inaccurate the lap reports are.

Discussion of the EGL labs: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/[/URL]
Law suit about EGL! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/been-wondering-when-this-would-happen-lawsuit-over-grading.204318/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/been-wondering-when-this-would-happen-lawsuit-over-grading.204318/[/URL]
Rapnet bans EGL: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rapnet-bans-egl-reports-from-trading-network.205934/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rapnet-bans-egl-reports-from-trading-network.205934/[/URL]

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king. With fancies though (anything other than a round brilliant), that is a little complicated. But no other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut.

There really is no other way to determine if you have a good princess is to see images of the stones, and then you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.

That's what an ASET image does. http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance Please read.
And ASET shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return That is why you won't see us recommending vendors like Blue Nile, as they do not provide images or ASET images for their diamonds. James Allen and Good Old Gold do this. So do Brian Gavin and Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds.

Also, any wholesaler who is selling to you is lying. They are a retailer. And frankly most of these vendors tend to be extremely good at parting the ignorant from their funds for sub-par goods.

The numbers are meaningless. That lab report tells you NOTHING about how the diamond will perform.

Here is what I mean. Compare these two:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-295886
G color
VS2
Depth 76.3
Table 69
Ratio: 1.01
Excellent polish
Good Symmetry
Girdle Medium

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-283672
G color
VS2 clarity
Depth 76.2
Table 69.9
Ratio: 1.02
Very good polish
Very good symmetry
Girdle Thin to Slightly thick

Numbers are VERY close right? And the first one has a better girdle. And while the symmetry on the first one is only good, that's not a disqualifier with princeses.

Now look at the pictures. The first one is a VERY dark stone, and frankly a dog as far as princesses go. Second one is an AGS0 with ideal light return and is very bright, with just enough patterning to provide contrast.

In summary. YOU NEED AN ASET AND IMAGES.

OKay?

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
princess152|1414124331|3771957 said:
Hi and thanks for the help. I will be replacing my stone and keeping my setting. We had bought a semi mount that I loved prior to looking for a diamond. The head can be replaced so not worried about that but would like a 1.52 ct again.
Just a bit gun shy now about buying again. Scared I will end up with another mistake.

Buying a diamond can be a nerve wracking process, but if you are willing to spend some time on these boards and consider the advice you will receive here (including recommendations for vendors and specific diamonds to choose from), I am confident that you will end up with a beautiful diamond (speaking from experience, as I recently went through this with the help of the PS community).

So what I'm hearing is that you're looking for a 1.5ct+ diamond, either round or princess (with a preference for princess). But what is your budget for the diamond? Do you have other constraints in your search (other than getting the brightest, sparkliest diamond possible)?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results