shape
carat
color
clarity

Question re: stones for my 3-stone e-ring!

chaka

Rough_Rock
I've been a long, long, longtime PS lurker and now it's time for my boyfriend and I to finalize my e-ring. My question is this: the center stone we want is an I color, and the two side stones we like best are H and G respectively. What are folks' thoughts on having three different colored stones in a 3-stone ring? Will it be noticeable? We love the stones (from Brian Gavin) in every other way re: clarity, cut, carat.

Thanks so much! :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd stick to one color grade difference. So H with I sides would be great.

chaka

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Gypsy! These are the three stones we're considering. The folks at Brian Gavin said that .9s are hard to come by, so I'm wondering if this is the best we'll be able to do with an I center and G/H sides. Also, if anyone has thoughts on these stones, I would love to hear them!

Center:
1.828 I VS1, 1.1 HCA
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.828-i-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104074030064

Sides:
.912 H VS1, 1.1 HCA
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.912-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104074030008

.904 G VS2, 1.0 HCA
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.904-g-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104074030020

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Agreed, I'd stick to one color grade difference if you could. My fiancée also has a three-stone ring, by the way. It's the sort of thing that once you noticed which one was which for color, you'd probably have a hard time not noticing it.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I would ask the vendor to shoot a video of all three stones together and in varying lighting conditions. I tried to do an H center and I sides but after seeing them perform together, it didn't work at all with those particular stones. I found it a challenge to find three stones that worked perfectly together. If you found three that you love, I would go for it, regardless of grade differences.

chaka

Rough_Rock
Thanks, all! I will ask for a video -- that's a great idea.

All of this back-and-forth with an online vendor makes me wonder if I should just buy from a brick and mortar like Tiffany (which makes a great 3-stone ring) instead of stressing about buying something sight unseen. But Brian Gavin has such nice stones, and at better prices. Thoughts???

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
No doubt going with an online vendor is going to be less expensive. With a 3 stone its very hard to know how the stones will play in tandem unless you see them together. Video is incredibly crucial if you can't view them in person. I'm all about proportions. I would find side stones that looked fine together, but not with the center. After a long time, I found three that worked, but I couldn't find a single inspiration ring that I liked as much as the Tiffany mount. After looking at many different "replica" options, I had one jeweler send me a mounting he had done for another client so I could compare it to the Tiffany. That sealed it for me. The custom mount, although well done, was not nearly as substantial in quality and workmanship as the Tiffany. If you stay in the I VS range, the cost difference between going with a premium online vendor and Tiffany narrows significantly. If you can find one on the secondary market, that's even better.

After it was finished, I asked them to thin out the shank and modify the prongs a little to give it a more dainty, vintage look. They were amazing to work with, doing it over a few hours for me while I visited the 5th floor statement collection.

I'm sure you'll find the right path for you. I'm terrible when it comes to design. So for me, it was worth paying a premium to have a sure thing. There is something to be said for having a trusted neighborhood jeweler you can count on.

chaka

Rough_Rock
Thanks, RandG -- so you were able to get Tiffany to modify the mount/prongs for you? I had no idea that was even a possibility! That might tip the balance in favor of Tiffany for me. My BF and I are going to look at a few Tiffany 3-stone rings on Saturday to compare with what we've been seeing online. They didn't have much in their inventory in my size, but they're bringing in rings with 1.4, 1.6, and 1.8 center stones.

Were you able to ask Tiffany for the specs of your stones to put through the Holloway Cut Advisor?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, Tiffany will provide you all the specs. It's outside their basic SKU portal, but they can pull it. They did it for me and I was able to really maximize mm size over carat weight. You need to partner with a good sales associate who can navigate the process and give you what you need to make a good choice. I hope you see as many stones in person as you can.

I VS stones are some of their best selling stones. If you find 3 you love, grab them.

I had the ring about a month when I asked if they could make some modifications. No problem and no additional charges. So long as you're merely modifying what's there, not compromising the integrity of the ring, or doing an entirely new mount, they will do what they can to make you happy. It's a nearly 200 year old company with impeccable heritage and pedigree. For a classic 3-stone, its just a solid choice.

chaka

Rough_Rock
This is so helpful! Did you look at individual stones or pre-mounted rings? You are making me really excited to go to Tiffany's on Saturday!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
With the exception of one, all were mounted. My sales associate was wonderful, making it such a nice experience. I hope you have a fabulous experience and find your perfect ring!

The new creative director, the first woman to serve in this role in the company's history, has done some nice things so far. I just ordered a "T" bracelet.

chaka

Rough_Rock
You are my hero! Can I bother you with a few more questions?

- Just to clarify, when you say all but one were mounted, do you mean all but one ring, or all but one of the stones you chose?
- Were you shopping in the flagship store? We'll be at the store in Washington, DC, and I wonder if they'll be as flexible.
- Did you look at 3-stone rings in a variety of ring sizes, or did they confine you to looking at stones mounted in rings that were your size?

Thanks!! When I signed up for PS years and years and years ago, I just knew one day would come when I'd be asking folks for advice for my e-ring! :)

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I promise no heroics-- just took a leap of faith and it worked :)
I worked with a local store, but in tandem with the Flagship. You're doing a significant ring. They're going to want to accommodate you. Just be clear about what you want. My SA never brought me in unless she had viable options to show me. One of the stones was not mounted when I first saw it. Everything else was in a mount of some type. It was a process. It helped having an SA who worked from a place of yes. She also knew I was a buyer so I'm sure she felt the investment was worth it.

I think all the rings were a size 6, maybe? I saw center stones of varying sizes, ranging from 1.75ct to 2.58. Nothing was off limits. Anything I asked to see, she brought in, even more than one time when I needed a second look at a new combination. It's all within their own inventory, between stores. They were totally flexible. Honestly, if I did it over, I'd probably first look at every single 3 stone at or near my specs. They've already done the work to match those stones and they're pretty good at it, I think.

No matter what, enjoy it! It's such an exciting time :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
chaka|1414024508|3771324 said:
Thanks, Gypsy! These are the three stones we're considering. The folks at Brian Gavin said that .9s are hard to come by, so I'm wondering if this is the best we'll be able to do with an I center and G/H sides. Also, if anyone has thoughts on these stones, I would love to hear them!

Center:
1.828 I VS1, 1.1 HCA
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.828-i-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104074030064

Sides:
.912 H VS1, 1.1 HCA
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.912-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104074030008

.904 G VS2, 1.0 HCA
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.904-g-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104074030020

For me, those proportions are off. I wouldn't get side stones larger than 75 points. And would probably go for smaller even.

Have you looked at the proportion chart?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with Gypsy that you may want to look at the proportions / ratio again.

If I were looking at the 1.8ct as the center stone, and like 3 prominent stones, here are the side stones I would consider:

.717ct each, I color
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.717-i-vvs2-round-diamond-bfg-12511
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.717-i-vs1-round-diamond-bfg-12503

.60ct each, I color
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.600-i-vs1-round-diamond-bfg-12446
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.600-i-vs1-round-diamond-bfg-12445

.50ct each, I color
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.500-i-vs2-round-diamond-bfg-12401
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.500-i-vs1-round-diamond-bfg-12396

Any of these options would be a great match for the stone you've already picked. You would just need to decide on the proportions you prefer!

chaka

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy and Rocky! I wanted a 2:1 ratio, which is like the Tiffany rings I've always found so attractive. So I assumed with a 1.8 center stone, that meant .9 sides. Should the ratio be done by carat size, or diameter of the stone? Or am I doing something else wrong?

chaka

Rough_Rock
That proportions thread has some AMAZING 3-stone rings!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
chaka|1414161824|3772062 said:
Should the ratio be done by carat size, or diameter of the stone? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Calculate the ratio based on diameter (or more specifically, face-up surface area).

Carat size does not translate easily for this type of calculation.

With that piece of info, you should be good!

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Ratio is diameter (or "spread") measured in millimeters. The weight increases faster than the diameter. Remember that, geometrically speaking, these aren't flat, circular-shaped discs. As the girdle diameter increases, the consistent crown and pavilion angles mean you go up quickly in volume (weight).

For example, a .66 carat stone might be 5.5 millimeters. A .33 carat stone might be 4.4 millimeters.

So, in that case, you've doubled the weight, but not doubled the size. At half the weight, the .33 carat stone has 80% of the spread.

Diamond prices are dictated by weight, as well as other stuff. But larger stones are more rare, and you might find the price progression rather discouraging in its lack of linearity.

For my fiancée's ring, I really liked a roughly 4/5 ratio. So her center is a .64 and the sides are each .36. At first glance it sounds like the center is a lot bigger, but it's not. It's a lot heavier, sure. But the .64 is 5.5 mm, and the .36's are 4.5 mm.

So, yes: ratio is based on diameter. You won't see the weight of the stones, but you will see the size. :wavey:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First, love three stones. Mine is a 1.75 center with .45 sides with a 4 3/4 finger. Center is a high f, almost e, and sides are d color. It is very difficult to see the color difference. If I was to do it again, I would have slightly larger sides, like .60 each. I have a pair of almost perfectly matched .84 and .85 stones that were studs (GIA ideal, same make as my 1.75) that I have been toying with using as side stones, but each time I look at them laid out ii hesitate, and wonder whether the ring will be too big. I do not want the side stones to overhang my ring finger. This has been going on for years. All that said, 2:1 is the standard Tiffany ratio; a traditional threestone. If you want the center stone to be more prominent, go for sides that are in the .6 to .8 range 5.5mm to 6mm. If you like the more uniform, major bling look, your proportions are great.

No matter what you decide, it will be lovely.

chaka

Rough_Rock
UPDATE!

We went to Tiffany this weekend and ruled out center stones 1.8 carats and above because they looked too large on my hand. We saw two three-stone rings that we liked, one with a 1.4 CS and the other with a 1.58 CS. But both center stones had HCA scores over 3! Unacceptable after reading PS!

So we're going back to the drawing board, and we'd love your advice! We want a 2:1 carat-weight ratio (that's what Tiffany uses, so the side stones on the 1.4 CS were .7 and the side stones on the 1.58 where .78/.79). We're looking for VS1 or above, color G-I, and center stone size 1.4-1.6.

Thoughts, lovely PS'ers?

Thanks!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
chaka|1414434557|3773426 said:
UPDATE!

We went to Tiffany this weekend and ruled out center stones 1.8 carats and above because they looked too large on my hand. We saw two three-stone rings that we liked, one with a 1.4 CS and the other with a 1.58 CS. But both center stones had HCA scores over 3! Unacceptable after reading PS!

So we're going back to the drawing board, and we'd love your advice! We want a 2:1 carat-weight ratio (that's what Tiffany uses, so the side stones on the 1.4 CS were .7 and the side stones on the 1.58 where .78/.79). We're looking for VS1 or above, color G-I, and center stone size 1.4-1.6.

Thoughts, lovely PS'ers?

Thanks!

If you wanted to stick with BGD, these sidestones look good at I-color:

.717ct each, I color
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.717-i-vvs2-round-diamond-bfg-12511
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.717-i-vs1-round-diamond-bfg-12503

with one of these center stones:
1.494ct, I, VS1 (perfect color match and ratio match)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.494-i-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104072303018

1.562ct, H, VS2 (if you want to go bigger)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.562-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104074355001

If you go with the 1.494ct stone, all of the colors will be I, clarity will be VS1 or greater on all stones, and the cut will be top-notch. Should be a perfect match. Definitely a great combo!

chaka

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Rocks! Do you have a picture of your ring? I would love to see it!

chaka

Rough_Rock
So helpful, Rocky! Any suggestions if I wanted to go up on color?

I spent an hour today scouring BGD and you found the best stones in no time at all!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am technologically challenged. I have some good photos, but do not know how to post them. Will try later tonight. I also have a sapphire and diamond threestone...8.3mm sapphire with .60 (5.45mm sides). Proportions are terrific. And....if you are asking for opinions....I would improve on color and compromise on clarity....vs1 and vvs are overkill if you are looking at h and I color stones IMO.....my center is a vs1 and sides are vs2.

_23612.jpg

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another

_23613.jpg

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another. Was looking at sapphires for earrings.....

_23614.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I am so disappointed you didn't get to see more options, better cuts. I hope it was helpful to see options, and not a total loss for you!
I do like the 2:1 ratio. Here's a shot of my ring...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results