shape
carat
color
clarity

4 ct sapphire to good to be true?

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
FWIW I think it's a lovely stone - you already mentioned you like the color, the cut looks good, it has a nice high crown, and is a great size! Looking forward to seeing how you set it. =)

twinklelittlestar

Rough_Rock
Thanks (almost) everyone for your thoughts. All of you who said it wasn't small are right, after trying it in some semi-mounts it shows much larger. However I have decided to return it, while I do like the color I don't like the color on me. It just seems washed out and doesn't pop as it would on someone with a darker skin tone.

I was curious about other peoples experience returning items to mulitcolour. I was given instructions not to insure the return which scares me. Were any of you also given these instructions?

And to Laurie-- I was never a huge fan of yellow stones until I saw that one, now I am obsessed!

jarne

Rough_Rock
So you basicly dont like the stone. Its not a nice stone. No need to thank me. So solly you dont handle critisism well.
I would assume Mc would not sell the stone at this price if there were not any issues,
even though I have seen the paler colors go quite cheap in asia.

Thank you Marlow for informing me tha sapphires not only comes in hot pink and blues, i didnt know. da. -)

best regards

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
jarne|1414215335|3772376 said:
So you basicly dont like the stone. Its not a nice stone. No need to thank me. So solly you dont handle critisism well.
I would assume Mc would not sell the stone at this price if there were not any issues,

Thank you Marlow for informing me tha sapphires not only comes in hot pink and blues, i didnt know. da. -)

best regards

People can like colours you don't. Yes, the colour was reflected in the price but the colour is not 'an issue'.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nobody is going to get a 4 carat top blue sapphire for $3000 so the price paid is good for the quality. If the OP wants a deeper colour, she has to sacrifice either the size or increase her budget significantly. I don't like light toned blue sapphires but I respect other people's choices/preferences.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
An exercise in creativity .......what would be the best metal color to surround the stone to increase color intensity. Would rose gold bring more of the blue forward? I assume white gold or platinum would bring the grey forward? That gem is appealing in many ways..............

jarne

Rough_Rock
I thought the color was an issue, and thats why it was returned. No because of the size, nor the cutting, but because of the color, or lack of !

I exrecise my privelege to have an opinion about a gem, as you do.

If people cant handle it, grow up

I am done with this discussion

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
jarne|1414260578|3772538 said:
I thought the color was an issue, and thats why it was returned. No because of the size, nor the cutting, but because of the color, or lack of !

Jarne, I did not mean to drive you away. No need for bad feelings. I apologise. :halo:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jarne|1414260578|3772538 said:

Jarne,
I even said the only thing "wrong" with the stone was the color, but then you came on here and said the "stone was not nice," but didn't state why. Then you come on here saying that people can't handle criticism and to "grow up" when we tried to explain what was nice about the stone. Yes, the color isn't the best, we know that, but she said initially she likes that color. :confused:

I don't know why you're so defensive. This is an educational forum, so educate instead of trying to be so angry that people disagree with you, or expand on your arguments.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
twinklelittlestar|1414193155|3772289 said:
Thanks (almost) everyone for your thoughts. All of you who said it wasn't small are right, after trying it in some semi-mounts it shows much larger. However I have decided to return it, while I do like the color I don't like the color on me. It just seems washed out and doesn't pop as it would on someone with a darker skin tone.

I was curious about other peoples experience returning items to mulitcolour. I was given instructions not to insure the return which scares me. Were any of you also given these instructions?

And to Laurie-- I was never a huge fan of yellow stones until I saw that one, now I am obsessed!
Yes, the size of gems can be quite a shock when we actually get them in hand but as others have said - and you now realise - it isn't a small stone.

However it's good that you lived with it a while and tried it out in some settings. If you've decided it isn't for you then send it back and we can try to help find another. Just a question - is the centre picture one that was sent to you? Did you ever see it look like that?

Jarne - there is a difference between giving helpful critique of a gem and being down right rude and offensive even allowing for language differences.

LK - don't sweat it ;))

S

SparkliesLuver

twinklelittlestar: let us know, please, if you resume your search and change your criteria. I know we'd love to help you find your sapphire! :)

ETA: I posted this in a different thread, but I thought it'd be worth posting here. It looks like it may have a tiny window but that might close up upon setting. Experts? But it's a big, lighter (darker than the one you returned though) Montana sapphire.

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10216

9 x 7 x 4.3 mm
2.44 cts
$915 (that'd leave you with a nice chunk of change for an awesome setting)

_23603.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
There's a very similar stone for sale at the Facebook site "Fine Faceted Gems & Cabs Market" to the one originally posted here from Multicolour. It is for sale for $3000.

Is it the same stone?

_23757.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
jarne|1414215335|3772376 said:

best regards

Jarne, I was not talking to you - I talked to the OP - a newbie here and your reaction was not very nice.

She bought no aquarium gravel or a piece of sh*t - it is a beautiful gem for a very good price as Elvis said - and I like these pastel sapphire too. If you have better gems please post them!! So we can discuss the quality here...

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic of the Multicolour stone (thanks to twinklelittlestar's avatar)

j2w_ysa843aa.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think that's the same stone, the facet pattern is too similar, as well as the color and the shape. Maybe he's flipping it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL. I've noticed a few flips from Jim McCormick and Jason Brim.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
what are flips?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1414951197|3776405 said:
what are flips?

When someone sees a stone for sale and offers it for sale themselves, sometimes without seeing the stone in person, or even buying it first. They often plan to purchase it when their own buyer commits to purchasing it from them.

So for example, say I see a diamond from Leibish, and I offer it for sale via my own site. No one knows its from Leibish, but thinks its from me instead. I make a profit being the middleman. I guess almost all vendors are middlemen so to speak, but the trick is to not buy from the flipper, but from the source that the flipper goes to. ;))

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
So if I offer a stone from Uli I don't owe I am a flipper...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1414951947|3776414 said:
So if I offer a stone from Uli I don't owe I am a flipper...

Yes. Nothing wrong or illegal with flipping, but if you are a flipper, you have to hope the stone doesn't sell out from under you.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1414935710|3776320 said:
There's a very similar stone for sale at the Facebook site "Fine Faceted Gems & Cabs Market" to the one originally posted here from Multicolour. It is for sale for $3000.

Is it the same stone?

Honestly?

Jim is very clever!!! I remember a lavender Luc Yen spinel from the Gem Trader - a pear! The buyer discussed it here and send it back - I would have to pay three times more here in Europe!!!! Returned course it was not blue enough! :wall:
A big fault!!! A fantastic gem!!! Clean Luc Yen in lavender and blue are extremely expensive here.

The sapphire was a great deal too....

My advice - talk to us - I would honestly say whether to keep a gem or not!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1414949325|3776393 said:
Yes, I think that's the same stone, the facet pattern is too similar, as well as the color and the shape. Maybe he's flipping it.

I certainly hope for Jim's sake that it is not the same stone, as he was on this thread pushing the OP's stone as such a good buy. If it is the same, I would suggest that trade members, and Jim in particular, re-read the PS policies as that would be a major breach of the rules, basically shilling your own stones.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Think he took the chance after the stone was returned.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Marlow said:

That's how I read the timeline too... that the OP purchased the stone from MC (and it was during this time that Jim and others advocated for the stone), and after it was returned then Jim stepped into the role of seller.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VirginiaZee|1414965355|3776509 said:
Marlow said:

That's how I read the timeline too... that the OP purchased the stone from MC (and it was during this time that Jim and others advocated for the stone), and after it was returned then Jim stepped into the role of seller.

Oh phew, so relieved! He strikes me as a fair and honest guy, so I'm happy to know this. :))

twinklelittlestar

Rough_Rock
Can confirm that is the same stone that I returned.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElvisPrasiolite|1414972723|3776540 said:
pregcurious|1414950799|3776398 said:

I can't speak for Jason, though I think he is a great guy, but your have no clue what your talking about saying that I flip stones, which I do not appreciate in the least bit. I do have other vendors that will send me their stones for sale, but I never sell a stone that is not in my possession, nor a stone I do not have permission to sell. 90% of the stones I sell, are ones I bought for sale. It is a gamble every time I buy a stone for sell. Try it sometime.

Elvis, calm down, I don't even know you as a vendor, or even your real name, until now.

Yes, Jason is a nice guy, and if you read what I wrote above, I said there was nothing wrong with flipping. I personally don't have a problem with it as long as there is a hassle free refund policy.

ETA: I see you were addressing Pregcurious, not me, ooops. In any case, I don't have a problem with flipping so when I brought it up, I didn't consider it unethical behavior as long as the dealer has a great return policy, like with any vendor. Some flippers will even send the gems to AGL and other labs to confirm what they are, before sending them out to the third party (consumer), just to make sure that what they're selling is as advertised, even if they don't immediately have the stone in their possession.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
In the moment the OP said she will return it the stone is free and it is ok if somebody buys it!
Think it is better to offer it here instead of sending it back to the vendor.
I am sure I will do the same in the future if I see an interesting stone here the buyer don't want.

Real flipping would be a crime in my country - but this here is a correct deal!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Elvis/Jim, on one hand I'm sorry I offended you and caused you distress, but how is this case not flipping? I did not in any way mean to disparage you or your business.

Also, I did not "peg" you. I said I saw a few flips from you and Jason. I did not say that's all you do. I also did not disparage flipping. (Jason is a great vendor by the way, and people know I buy from him. I know he doesn't own a mine and cut his own stones. For all I know, Elvis does own his own mine, and this is an anomaly for him.)

If you want to get into the semantics of flipping, I think it means buying something from someone else, and selling it yourself shortly thereafter after making some kind of improvement. (The improvement is a return policy to the US versus overseas.) What is your definition of flipping? How is this not flipping?

Here my 3 posts below for everyone to see.

Post 1:

Is it the same stone?

Post 2:
Here is a pic of the Multicolour stone (thanks to twinklelittlestar's avatar)

Post 3:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
TL, I don't have the same definition of flipping as you. I'm not sure what you would call what you described, which is not owning the stone at all. I used the word flipping like people flip houses. They buy them, improve them, and sell them quickly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results