shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset with Victor Canera? What would you do?

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks LLJ Im sure I will be very happy with the Gabriella and will be sure to post pics when completed. Funny enough the pic that you linked I have actually saved, its a gorgeous look. Cant wait to see what you decide to go with.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OP, these two rings you linked are truly spectacular IMHO. It looks to me like you like a very blingy look with a bit of Deco feel to it. I know you have said that you did not but even our tastes can change. Even though I have always loved and owned Art Deco diamond jewelry I thought that I wanted to change to a more streamlines, classical, modern style.

Then I was thinking of a setting for one of my stones and designed something and thought it was finally done and when I went to my jeweler to make it, he had a completely different idea which was sort of Art Noveau in style. Though I love the style, I never thought it was me but after much thinking and looking at drawings I was like well, you know that is the best idea so far and went ahead with it. I get tons of compliments on that piece. I think a personal meeting is a great idea because sometimes only then you know what you truly want. When we make jewelry with my jeweler several times during the process questions arise as to what to do, how to proceed what solution to choose, he asks me what I prefer and being there I can make the best decision for myself what may look the best and fits me the most. Ok, you will not be there during the making of your ring but Victor can show you options, you can thoroughly discuss them and see what works for you.

A solitaire is entirely different from a halo look. The solitaire with the basket you linked has extra bling, though if you really want blingy not sure that will be enough for you. I think it is a beautiful setting but perhaps for blingy girls it is not enough and for solitaire loves it takes away the simplicity and edge of that style. I would say that no matter what you decide it would be no problem as say you pick a solitaire you can still have a halo-d RHR or earrings and vice versa but my problem is that if you do in fact want to upgrade, it would be a bad idea to put so much into a setting that you cannot use later. If you were keeping this center diamond say as a RHR and getting another one then all is fine, then you could have the best of both worlds and both styles but I am slightly concerned that no matter which you choose you might feel that you wanted the other too. Then if you do upgrade a year later, the setting may not accomodate your new stone. Only you can sort this out in your head and of course it can be so hard to decide.

I am not sure of your stone specs, I looked at your tennis bracelet thread but did not really find good pix of your ering, will search. Are you are you want to upgrade and do you know to what you want to upgrade?

thebigjdoe

Rough_Rock
I visited Victor in L.A. and didn't feel the least bit pressured. He will gladly show you any stones you wan't to see, and any work that he has. BUT

Victor makes custom pieces. Do not expect some large inventory of completed items to look at while you are there. He makes a piece and sends it to his customer, so, expect very few examples. When I went in he had about 6 or 7 pieces available to view/try on. I'm guessing he will have an emilya halo to look at since that is his most popular piece, but it is not like walking into a chain store with hundreds or thousands of pieces to look at.

The whole process with Victor was a breeze. Still need to write my review and post pictures, but if you want a pave piece, especially a halo, you cannot go wrong. His halos can't even be compared to bulkier halos like Ritani and the like. They are on a whole other level, and me and my wife to be are so happy we forked out a little extra cash for a VC halo.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OVincze|1414055814|3771461 said:
OP, these two rings you linked are truly spectacular IMHO. It looks to me like you like a very blingy look with a bit of Deco feel to it. I know you have said that you did not but even our tastes can change. Even though I have always loved and owned Art Deco diamond jewelry I thought that I wanted to change to a more streamlines, classical, modern style.

Then I was thinking of a setting for one of my stones and designed something and thought it was finally done and when I went to my jeweler to make it, he had a completely different idea which was sort of Art Noveau in style. Though I love the style, I never thought it was me but after much thinking and looking at drawings I was like well, you know that is the best idea so far and went ahead with it. I get tons of compliments on that piece. I think a personal meeting is a great idea because sometimes only then you know what you truly want. When we make jewelry with my jeweler several times during the process questions arise as to what to do, how to proceed what solution to choose, he asks me what I prefer and being there I can make the best decision for myself what may look the best and fits me the most. Ok, you will not be there during the making of your ring but Victor can show you options, you can thoroughly discuss them and see what works for you.

A solitaire is entirely different from a halo look. The solitaire with the basket you linked has extra bling, though if you really want blingy not sure that will be enough for you. I think it is a beautiful setting but perhaps for blingy girls it is not enough and for solitaire loves it takes away the simplicity and edge of that style. I would say that no matter what you decide it would be no problem as say you pick a solitaire you can still have a halo-d RHR or earrings and vice versa but my problem is that if you do in fact want to upgrade, it would be a bad idea to put so much into a setting that you cannot use later. If you were keeping this center diamond say as a RHR and getting another one then all is fine, then you could have the best of both worlds and both styles but I am slightly concerned that no matter which you choose you might feel that you wanted the other too. Then if you do upgrade a year later, the setting may not accomodate your new stone. Only you can sort this out in your head and of course it can be so hard to decide.

I am not sure of your stone specs, I looked at your tennis bracelet thread but did not really find good pix of your ering, will search. Are you are you want to upgrade and do you know to what you want to upgrade?

I do love halos because of the higher bling and finger coverage factor. But IRL there are not many that I like enough that I would see myself wear. And I am not sure if I would want it to be my forever setting. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen IRL a setting (halo or not) that would be forever. I kinda think the beauties by Canera, Leon and kirsch have spoiled me. Some single stone settings were beautiful but not my style. The feel is too antique-y for me, but looks amazing on others.

If I were to upgrade I would probably stick with an MRB, just avoid the hassle. In an ideal world , this is my favorite stone and ring on all of PS.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ch-square-emerald-w-tapered-baguettes.197237/

But never gonna happen. If I did upgrade, and chances are extremely slim, I would be going from 2.59 to over 3. How much? Probably 3.5 ish max. A halo setting would be wasted if I upgraded. Unless I keep it for a colored stone...

Funny thing is already have a Tiffany soleste aquamarine halo and I don't love it. Maybe it's cause I just don't love round halos, not on my finger. The only place I like them is for earrings. I know. Strange. And the thing has a round jungle gym structure underneath the space ship halo. The top of the halo is beautiful and very well done. Super sparkly, etc. stunning just to look at. Just don't look under!!

I love the confidence of a solitaire. A skinny shank with pave is still a solitaire to me. And I have discovered that based on how I wear my rings, I see the side about 70-80% of the time, and top the remaining. So the side has to be beautiful. I'm really looking forward to seeing the six prong. In the end a halo might be too much for me, but again I've never seen a VC halo. Never say never... :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thebigjdoe|1414073647|3771516 said:
I visited Victor in L.A. and didn't feel the least bit pressured. He will gladly show you any stones you wan't to see, and any work that he has. BUT

Victor makes custom pieces. Do not expect some large inventory of completed items to look at while you are there. He makes a piece and sends it to his customer, so, expect very few examples. When I went in he had about 6 or 7 pieces available to view/try on. I'm guessing he will have an emilya halo to look at since that is his most popular piece, but it is not like walking into a chain store with hundreds or thousands of pieces to look at.

The whole process with Victor was a breeze. Still need to write my review and post pictures, but if you want a pave piece, especially a halo, you cannot go wrong. His halos can't even be compared to bulkier halos like Ritani and the like. They are on a whole other level, and me and my wife to be are so happy we forked out a little extra cash for a VC halo.

Thebigjdoe, thanks for the info. I am happy to hear you had that many to look at. I would be happy with seeing any halo and any non halo. Very exciting stuff. I can't wait until you post about your ring. So looking forward to it!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
paulav|1414053133|3771457 said:
Thanks LLJ Im sure I will be very happy with the Gabriella and will be sure to post pics when completed. Funny enough the pic that you linked I have actually saved, its a gorgeous look. Cant wait to see what you decide to go with.

No way!! How hilarious that we both like that look!! It makes such a statement and shows off he cent stone so beautifully. I bet your stone would look stunning since it's such a honker. 3.2 carats!! Can't wait to see it!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you need to try on several different style to decide which is best for you. Some people love halos (to look at) but find it too much to wear everyday for their lifestyle preferring a solitaire instead.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OP, it appears to me that you really love square stones and a square look so perhaps ask yourself that if and when you upgrade you may instead want a cushion, emerald or ascher. We change too, our styles and tastes change and I was always into rounds and recently pears and ovals that was until I saw chunky cushions, then the world stopped. Although I had never been a step-cut fan, recently I am finding myself drooling over some, even those you have shown. Two of your dream rings were gorgeous emeralds and perhaps you want to think about considering up when you upgrade?

How about having halo-d earrings instead? Maybe I missed that and you have some but I too absolutely adore my impeccable halo-d stud earrings yet I have a hard time imagining a halo-d ring on myself even though I love, love, love the examples I see here on PS. Firstly, I think that a halo only looks good in a ring when the center is large enough, you got that but secondly I also find that my solitaire matches my tennis bracelet and even my Art Deco diamond watch better. Not sure why, I think a Deco style halo would be too much with my watch and the simple beauty of a tennis bracelet is perhaps best complimented by a solitaire. Just some thoughts I had in my mind.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJ, I love my setting but the edge has bent inward all down the side of the band and it is a little bit out of round. The pave is secure but I can see the bends and I am worried about it. I absolutely love three sided pave. I have no idea how this damage keeps happening. I think it just may be to delicate for my lifestyle. I think it can be fixed, if Leon is willing. I emailed Victor because LA would be local for me, but he wouldn't touch anyone else's work. I will probably try having it repaired first but I would really like to have a ring I didn't have to worry about. Is that even possible? I don't know. I really don't want to spend another 5K on another setting either.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about the puffiness or the BE ring, but no matter. I just thought I would give you another idea. I am not a fan of the basket detail and I would want the band a little thicker but BE is so willing to modify designs that if I do go that route in the future, it's not a problem. I loved the halo with the french cuts, and the band with the lace design.

I hope you find a design you LOVE!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I have come to believe is that we second guess ourselves because it is scary to commit to just one thing. We WILL likely get tired of what we have and see something we want more. It is just a matter of time. That is why I am a little hesitant to spend a lot on a setting.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very true. Now of course we can just keep the old ones and have new ones too.:))) But, yes the center stones we can recycle and use in a differet setting but something there is not a whole lot you can do with an empty setting. I do think people tend to often tire of one setting every few years, of course everyone is different but I am talking about us jewelry enthusiasts.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OVincze, I do love squares and chunky rectangles. I just wasn't very wise when I made my first purchase. I would love to trade for a step cut, but don't want to go through the hassle of selling my stone for one.

As everyone says, I will just need to see and try on VCs pieces IRL. I really do want it to be a forever setting. Like I feel like my earrings are forever, as my bracelet.

If I had a colored stone I would put that in a halo. :). ((Hug)). Thank you for sharing all your thoughts! Definitely important reminders!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1414119664|3771926 said:
What I have come to believe is that we second guess ourselves because it is scary to commit to just one thing. We WILL likely get tired of what we have and see something we want more. It is just a matter of time. That is why I am a little hesitant to spend a lot on a setting.

I agree with this depending on the individual of course. My mother has never tired of her ring or setting (50 years and counting now that she has owned her ER and original setting) and she is somewhat of a jewelry aficionado so it is not a universal trait. Unfortunately it is not one I share with her LOL as I feel I am always looking for the next best thing. However it is only with things and never people so I suppose there is hope for me yet. :cheeky:

It is good to know oneself though and to know in which category you fall...

LLJsmom, I know if you go with VC he will do an amazing job and no doubt you will be in love with your ring. Good luck with the trip and the decision.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1414136907|3771997 said:
OVincze, I do love squares and chunky rectangles. I just wasn't very wise when I made my first purchase. I would love to trade for a step cut, but don't want to go through the hassle of selling my stone for one.

As everyone says, I will just need to see and try on VCs pieces IRL. I really do want it to be a forever setting. Like I feel like my earrings are forever, as my bracelet.

If I had a colored stone I would put that in a halo. :). ((Hug)). Thank you for sharing all your thoughts! Definitely important reminders!

You know that isn't a half bad idea. Either keep your existing ring as is or go with a Victor Solitaire and a Victor halo with a standout coloured stone for a RHR - then you have the best of both worlds :lol:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chiming in to remind you to take into consideration your lifestyle. These halo rings a VERY delicate and not practical for everyday wear. I've decided to wear mine as a right hand ring, but not everyday. Enjoy your meeting with Victor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results