color
clarity

Help! Need opinions about this cushion cut diamond *PICS*

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Help! Need opinions about this cushion cut diamond *PICS

urasia|1413102222|3766032 said:
Hi Gypsy, thanks for your input.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to to pass on these JA ones, the one I liked did not ASET out very well and I can see there is quite a bit of mush and light leakage going on there.

I really do have my heart set on a rectangular cushion and have been in contact with GOG who are currently sourcing some diamonds for me so fingers crossed I will find a winner soon!

Ok. If they can't find you anything, try BE, okay?

urasia

Rough_Rock

Thanks so much Gypsy, will do!

urasia

Rough_Rock

Hi Gypsy (and anyone else out there who wants to chime in!)

I've received the below ASET and am hoping I could get some opinions about it and also advice in regards to how well you think this diamond might perform based on this image.

_23489.jpg

urasia

Rough_Rock

Bump. Hi Anyone out there that could help me out here? I would really appreciate some advice as I will need to make a decision soon.

Here is a link to the video of the diamond as well:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFSG2STGcrk&feature=youtu.be

Thanks so much in advance!

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1413103300|3766035 said:
urasia|1413102222|3766032 said:
Hi Gypsy, thanks for your input.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to to pass on these JA ones, the one I liked did not ASET out very well and I can see there is quite a bit of mush and light leakage going on there.

I really do have my heart set on a rectangular cushion and have been in contact with GOG who are currently sourcing some diamonds for me so fingers crossed I will find a winner soon!

Ok. If they can't find you anything, try BE, okay?

Hi Gypsy if you're out there :)

Would you be able to give me your opinion on my last couple of posts?

You've been an amazing help so far, would really appreciate your input before I take the plunge!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

There's some mush, but there is a high level of brightness and crispness too.

I'd give it a A-.

And considering you are looking for a rectangular cushion, and those usually have issues-- bowties, etc. And this one doesn't, then I think it's a good contender.

How about you get it in person and see what you think of it unset?

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1414042968|3771435 said:
There's some mush, but there is a high level of brightness and crispness too.

I'd give it a A-.

And considering you are looking for a rectangular cushion, and those usually have issues-- bowties, etc. And this one doesn't, then I think it's a good contender.

How about you get it in person and see what you think of it unset?

Hi Gypsy,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I'm located in Australia so I cannot get in to see any of these diamonds in person :(

That's why I need to be very sure about my choice since returns would be a huge hassle and expense for me (customs/duties etc...)

I also have another contender from a different vendor. Could you let me know if this looks any better? Aset details below:-

_475.png

capture2.png

_476.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Color/clarity and dimensions for each?

Also carat weight. And price.

I think they are about equal in terms of performance.

How are you planning on setting it?

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1414044019|3771439 said:

First one is 1.8 carat G VS1 ex polish vg symmetry slight fluro eye clean quoted for 16,600

Second one is almost 1.6 carat G VS2 ex polsih ex symmetry no fluro eye clean quoted 13,579

I plan on custom solitaire plain band setting set from slightly below girdle.

urasia

Rough_Rock

urasia|1414044684|3771441 said:
Gypsy|1414044019|3771439 said:

First one is 1.8 carat G VS1 ex polish vg symmetry slight fluro eye clean quoted for 16,600

Second one is almost 1.6 carat G VS2 ex polsih ex symmetry no fluro eye clean quoted 13,579

I plan on custom solitaire plain band setting set from slightly below girdle.

Sorry forgot dimensions

1.8 carat 7.63mm x 6.66 x 4.50mm

1.6 carat 7.18mm x 6.55mm x 4.47mm

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd go with the first one, if it is in budget. It's quite a bit larger and it's more rectangular.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

David was great when I bought my AVC early this year.. great company to work with. Love their AVC and AVRs.. best of luck!

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1414045305|3771445 said:
I'd go with the first one, if it is in budget. It's quite a bit larger and it's more rectangular.

Thanks Gypsy, ahhhh I'm having so much trouble deciding lol

I really did think there was a high chance I would go with this GOG one (video below). I loved the bright splintery effect!

1st video is of the diamond by itself, 2nd video it is compared to some other 2 carat options. They were unable to pull all the diamonds they had in mind for this comparison so only the second 2 carat is another contender. The others are just generic ones I believe (i.e the crushed ice).

Below is what they had to say about it in the email I received, do you think this might be accurate description or can I find better out there?

"Wow, I am actually shocked at the quality of this 1.5x G VS2 because it's rectangular as most rectangular modern cushions do not perform well. Truly, it's totally cream of the crop."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxduhdXma1s&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsIEaoLmKg4&list=UUEV7slr-i-VduBBnfv9MxhA

Could you give me your opinion on this one after looking at how it performs in the video?

Another option in the 2 carat H in the second video, I'm yet to receive the specs and price for this one though.

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock

Wow that 1.6 that GOG videoed for you looks rockin'. Based on the ASETs, it seems like both choices would perform well. The widths are approximately the same so the main difference is in length. Half a mm is a pretty substantial difference and it's up to you whether it's worth the extra 3 grand to have a longer diamond. Seems like the extra length would give it a more rectangular shape.

I'd look at the GOG videos again to see if you're happy with the size/shape of the diamond. Their other color (G) and clarity characteristics look about the same.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

That's a tough one.

Can you ask the first vendor to make you a video similar to GOG's in terms of photography and holding the diamond, etc?

The GOG stone is killer. It's just the size difference for me. It's pretty substantial.

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1414098425|3771771 said:
That's a tough one.

Can you ask the first vendor to make you a video similar to GOG's in terms of photography and holding the diamond, etc?

The GOG stone is killer. It's just the size difference for me. It's pretty substantial.

Hi Gypsy, I knowwww, it's so hard to decide. I really like the faceting pattern of the smaller GOG one a lot!

And now I've received another video/ASET from the first vendor for a 1.61 G VS2 that, according to them, performs even better!

Are you able to give me you input on this one compared to the others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhhWVBUMzew

I have asked the first vendor (BE) for some video in daylight holding the stone but they've advised it is difficult at the moment because it is cloudy outside etc...

I don't have the stats (dimensions) on this one yet but the price is 12,500

_23537.jpg

urasia

Rough_Rock

noscrusir|1414087124|3771629 said:
Wow that 1.6 that GOG videoed for you looks rockin'. Based on the ASETs, it seems like both choices would perform well. The widths are approximately the same so the main difference is in length. Half a mm is a pretty substantial difference and it's up to you whether it's worth the extra 3 grand to have a longer diamond. Seems like the extra length would give it a more rectangular shape.

I'd look at the GOG videos again to see if you're happy with the size/shape of the diamond. Their other color (G) and clarity characteristics look about the same.

Hi Noscrusir! Thanks so much for you input :)

I do like the size and shape of the smaller GOG one and am really considering it at the moment. I'm thinking the extra length might make the 1.8 a little too rectangular for me and I'm undecided about whether it would perform just as well in the daylight.

I have requested a daylight comparison for the 1.8 and another 1.61 (ratio 1.09) BE just brought in so hopefully I can compare and decide on a winner soon!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The new 1.6 is lovely.

What do you mean too rectangular dear for the 1.8?

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1414107399|3771844 said:
The new 1.6 is lovely.

What do you mean too rectangular dear for the 1.8?

Hi Gypsy,

Sorry, I mean I like the look of the proportions of the smaller GOG one in their videos, so a substantial length difference would make it look quite a bit longer? I'm not sure, I'm just assessing with my eye what looks appealing to me.

BTW got the stats for the other 1.61 it is G VS2 (eye clean) 7.14 x 6.58 x 4.41mm ex polish ex symmetry no fluro

I think it may be down to these 2 approx 1.6 ones, do you have any advice in regards to which one you think performs better optically? I'm not great at reading the ASET or assessing as well as an expert could.

I've also been told by another source in regards to the 1.6 GOG one, in their opinion the microscopic pictures 1 and 2 show a great deal of leakage in the table which somehow is not seen in the ASET or DiamX-ray, also doesn't show in the video. So they are suggesting the ASET and video may not be showing leakage that is actually there. Are you able to comment?

Below are the proportions of the 1.61 G VS2.

capture4.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Can you link me to the GOG listing for that stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

What are the dimensions of the GOG stone.

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1414109689|3771859 said:

Hi Gypsy, does the below help? I don't have the actual GIA details for this one (it is GIA certified though).

capture6.png

_478.png

urasia

Rough_Rock

urasia|1414110201|3771865 said:
Gypsy|1414109689|3771859 said:

Hi Gypsy, does the below help? I don't have the actual GIA details for this one (it is GIA certified though).

Also, I've been told from looking at the video that the GOG one appears to be dark at the 1 and 11 o'clock '. Any thoughts on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxduhdXma1s

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay. I need the information organized. It's too chaotic right now.
So here is the information of all the stones. (please correct me if I am wrong about any of it):

#1 BE stone is: 1.61 carats
G VS2 (eye clean) GIA
7.14 x 6.58 x 4.41mm
ex polish ex symmetry no fluro
L/W Ratio is 1.08
Price: $12,500

ASET:
_23537.jpg
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhhWVBUMzew

#2 BE stone: 1.8 carats
G VS1 GIA
7.63mm x 6.66 x 4.50mm
L/W Ratio: 1.14
Price: 16,600

ASET:
_23489.jpg
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFSG2STGcrk&feature=youtu.be

#1 GOG stone: 1.50 carats
G VS2 GIA
7.18x 6.55 x 4.46mm
L/W Ratio: 1.10
Price: 13,579

ASET:
_475.png

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxduhdXma1s

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1414111669|3771874 said:
Okay. I need the information organized. It's too chaotic right now.
So here is the information of all the stones. (please correct me if I am wrong about any of it):

#1 BE stone is: 1.61 carats
G VS2 (eye clean) GIA
7.14 x 6.58 x 4.41mm
ex polish ex symmetry no fluro
L/W Ratio is 1.08
Price: $12,500

ASET:
_23537.jpg
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhhWVBUMzew

#2 BE stone: 1.8 carats
G VS1 GIA
7.63mm x 6.66 x 4.50mm
L/W Ratio: 1.14
Price: 16,600

ASET:
_23489.jpg
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFSG2STGcrk&feature=youtu.be

#1 GOG stone: 1.50 carats
G VS2 GIA
7.18x 6.55 x 4.46mm
L/W Ratio: 1.10
Price:
ASET:
_475.png
Price: 13,579
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxduhdXma1s

Hi Gypsy, yes that looks to be correct. However I believe the last GOG stone is actually closer to 1.58 (at least 1.55) from the info I've been given. I think GOG are keeping the actual stats a little off so that customers don't buy the same stone from another vendor for a few bucks less after they put all that work in with the sourcing/videos etc... That's why they don't provide the actual GIA cert until after purchase also.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think the 1.5 GOG and the 1.5 ERD are about equal. The pictures are different formats. So it's hard to get an exact equalness.

But the 1.8 BE has the most leakage, and it is not as bright. I called it an A- before. But now looking at it I'd give it a B+ instead.

The 1.6 BE has some leakage, but it's a very bright stone. A couple areas of some leakage, but not bad at all. And the mush is bright, so while those facets won't be distinct, they will not be dark either.

The 1.5 GOG has some small amount of darkness and leakage, but it isn't concentrated, and it's EASILY within acceptable parameters. It's an A stone.

Blue in general is obstruction (darkness, this is okay because it is contrast and patterning).
In the BE stone ASET Black is leakage.
In the GOG stone ASET White is leakage.

Okay?

As they are the same size, relatively. I think that you are probably good with either the 1.6 BE or the 1.5 GOG.

The BE stone is significantly cheaper though. And the GOG is a little more rectangular.

How are you planning setting the stone? It would be good to know. :wavey:

be_cushion__1_1.jpg

be_cushion__2_1.jpg

gog_cushion__1_1.png

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1414113650|3771885 said:
I think the 1.5 GOG and the 1.5 ERD are about equal. The pictures are different formats. So it's hard to get an exact equalness.

But the 1.8 BE has the most leakage, and it is not as bright. I called it an A- before. But now looking at it I'd give it a B+ instead.

The 1.6 BE has some leakage, but it's a very bright stone. A couple areas of some leakage, but not bad at all. And the mush is bright, so while those facets won't be distinct, they will not be dark either.

The 1.5 GOG has some small amount of darkness and leakage, but it isn't concentrated, and it's EASILY within acceptable parameters. It's an A stone.

Blue in general is obstruction (darkness, this is okay because it is contrast and patterning).
In the BE stone ASET Black is leakage.
In the GOG stone ASET White is leakage.

Okay?

As they are the same size, relatively. I think that you are probably good with either the 1.6 BE or the 1.5 GOG.

The BE stone is significantly cheaper though. And the GOG is a little more rectangular.

How are you planning setting the stone? It would be good to know. :wavey:

Thanks soooooooo much Gypsy, your analysis of diamonds and ASETS are legendary and very easy to understand! It has helped me so much during this process.

In regards to the setting, I'm looking to custom a very fine plain white gold or platinum band, tapering more narrow towards the stone and have it set from just under the girdle so that it sits in a very fine micro pave circle (like an egg in a cup) and the prongs will then extend through this circle to hold the diamond in place. Sort of as if it is floating on air. I would like a lot of the stone to be visible as I would like the actual diamond to be the main focus. I have no idea where to go yet to get this designed/made, I was thinking of getting the stone over here to Australia first and then looking for a local jeweler to make the setting.

If you have any advice in this regard I'd be so grateful to hear it!! You have been an absolute lifesaver so far and I couldn't be more thankful to you!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Have ERD make the setting if you go customer

They have a VERY VERY good bench. Don't get it made in AUS. Almost all our Aussie members deeply lament the use of Australian jewelers and usually end up using US jewelers instead.

You want a diamond collar around the stone with a plain solitaire.

So do you want it like this one? http://www.dvatche.com/index.php?page=collection&search=caroline%20&id=53 (obviously made for a cushion)

Because if this is what you want, Vatche makes it, and GOG carries it. But ERD can get it too. So either stone vendor could get you want you want.

There's also this one (personal favorite): http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-julia-solitaire/ (made for a cushion).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results