shape
carat
color
clarity

Please to be posting inspiration? Spinel pendant, and topaz.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I'm almost turning into one of you. As in, I actually have "projects" to consider, and multiple unset stones in my possession AT THE SAME TIME. This is not good. Or it is awesome, depending on how you look at it. Anyway, I need ideas for two things.

First up is a 5mm grey spinel. This is for a gift for my sister in law, initially I saw this pendant at HoW on etsy and was all, "Oh I have to get that for her!":

fishpendant.jpg

I'm not sure why this pinged my radar, to be honest. She has an adorable little owl pendant, and we've talked fish before, so for some reason I just thought of her. And I also thought she seemed like a grey spinel type, so this is what I grabbed:

spinel1_0.jpg
spinel2_1.jpg

I'm really liking the stone despite horrid pics - IRL it has a faint pink blush to it, and I swear it gives off some fire - I'm seeing multicolored sparks from it, anyhow, which I wasn't expecting and didn't know spinel did. Tried to nab a picture of it for you guys but it's hard to capture. So anyway, here's my "question" - in retrospect looking at the pendant I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think it's adorable but is it too "cutesy" or young? What is your gut reaction to the little fish?

She's an alternative kind of girl, likes edwardian jewelry (her e-ring is a gorgeous and understated vintage setting, similar to this one). She also loves an art deco repro I have. So now I'm wondering if I should go a different direction or not with the pendant. Maybe a lavalier type? I'm waiting for my brother to tell me what he thinks but thought you guys are always full of ideas too, so if you could throw any my way it would be greatly appreciated.

The other one is my new 10mm pale buttery champagne topaz from Dana. It makes me happy, but I can't decide AT ALL what to do with it. I'm open to a ring or a pendant, but the farthest I've gotten is that I like rose or yellow gold for the prongs or bezel (maybe a semi bezel?), and if I do a ring I'd like to keep it really simple as the stone is pretty large (for me).

danatopaz2.jpg

Basically, any and all inspiration you want to throw at me will be taken into consideration. 10mm is a big stone for me (8x6 was my biggest to this point) so want to take my time on this one. I do like this:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/123508084/peridot-and-iolite-grace-pendant-with?ref=shop_home_active_3

Wondering if just bezeling it in rose gold and making the "twist" halo thingy silver, if I'd like that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Please to be posting inspiration? Spinel pendant, and to

DJockey,
Your post deserves much thought and I don't have the time right now to do it justice. I will think over your stones and see if I can drum up some pictures and links tomorrow.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes! Light toned spinels give off lots of rainbow sparks! That stone looks cool. How old is your SIL?

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

She is mid twenties. On the one hand I saw it and immediately thought of her, on the other the more I look the more I second guess it.

I don't know why I was surprised by the spinel, I think because all I've read and their dispersion index made me think I wouldn't see the sparks like that. It's pretty nice and jeff d. has another very similar one about the same size I almost want for myself. Maybe I'll ask for it, have bday coming :)

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

OR........... maybe you could consider keeping lil' grey for yourself and start over for your SIL? Your intent is still there, but it seems that you are unsure this is the right stone for her, yet you want to get another one for youself? What would you do with this spinel if you were keeping it for yourself? Another option is to get the other one and make earrings if they are close enough in size and stature.........or even start over with the earring idea for your SIL. Or, if you are close to her you could get the other spinel and set them in the same 'simple' pendant setting as symbolism of your relationship with her.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This reminds me of a pink diamond I have. Nice stone.

spinel2_1.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I would stay away from the fish pendant. It's very specific. I would go Edwardian or Art Deco. What is there to not like about Art Deco?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi deskjockey,

How thoughtful and what a lovely idea to get something for your SIL! :love:

Here's just my two cents, so feel free to disregard it if you feel it's not relevant for your situation :tongue:

The fish pendant, while lovely, may not be quite right for a 20-something lady who prefers vintage / Edwardian-style jewelry. If you'd like to do something with the spinel, how about a custom carved pendant which incorporates elements of fish/water or vintage-style design? Pomme, the craftsman at HoW, does lovely engraving and carving work, and Sally could come up with a design that could convey the idea/feeling of water/fish in a subtle and elegant way.

E.g.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/94229491/water-lily-diamond-engagement-ring-in?ref=shop_home_active_4
https://www.etsy.com/listing/119294989/natural-aquamarine-cabochon-ring-in?ref=shop_home_active_4

You could also view the gallery of sold items for inspiration. :)
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/21124146
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/21000180

Or how about something like this in pendant form, but instead of a floral design, ask Sally to make it more of a fish/water theme and incorporate your spinel?

il_570xn_107.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1405768884193.jpg

If you'd like to start afresh, maybe Yvonne Raley will have something that would suit your SIL. She has some nice vintage-inspired pieces and also works frequently in argentium silver.

That champagne topaz is absolutely TDF! Wow! My personal vote would be for yellow gold to bring out the warmth, but it will look very nice in RG too. Please post more photos!!

Sally's classic Iolani and Grace settings would be lovely if you're leaning towards bezeling it. Something simple like this slider pendant would also be awesome: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/17781896

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

deskjockey, I love the gray spinel! It's elegant. I think I'd so something other than a fish too, if she's an Art Deco & Edwardian fan. If you're thinking a pendant, maybe something like this:

Or you could go simple:

Or, as digdeep suggests, keep it for yourself & find something else she'd like -- it's so pretty, it's a tempting idea!

--- Laurie

twst_prl_er.jpg

il_173.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is indeed difficult when gifting a piece of jewellery because design/taste is very personal. I would play it safe and go with something antique looking. As for your topaz, I would prong set it to maximize that gorgeous sparkle.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

mochiko42 said:
The fish pendant, while lovely, may not be quite right for a 20-something lady who prefers vintage / Edwardian-style jewelry. If you'd like to do something with the spinel, how about a custom carved pendant which incorporates elements of fish/water or vintage-style design? Pomme, the craftsman at HoW, does lovely engraving and carving work, and Sally could come up with a design that could convey the idea/feeling of water/fish in a subtle and elegant way.

I am definitely leaning towards the carved pendant idea. I was pretty struck by her Mahawan pendant, and realized a top view of a fish could be easily worked in without necessarily being in your face. So we are working on ideas along this line - change one of the vines/leaf carvings on one side to a top view of a betta, possibly change the flower in the center to more of a lily pad, with the vines becoming more narrow and sinuous along the other side. She also talked about adding a pop of color to the central part of the pendant (in the flower/lily pad), which I like as well. An inspiration fishy picture:

betta-fish-photography-2.jpg

I think from the top, with flowing fins, it may not immediately look distinguishable from some stylized leaves or flowers (I actually have a pic of my kitchen fish that everybody thinks IS a flower till they look close).

The topaz is getting back burnered for a while until I figure out how wth is going on with my other little one, that situation is starting to make me a little :angryfire: (I know, I should have been that way a month ago)

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the fish pendant but am biased - we have 15 aquariums here! I think if she likes an owl pendant then she would like this too. I also love Edwardian jewelry and stylized animal pendants like this also. I would go with your gut instinct because you know your SIL the best.

ETA I LOVE that heart pendant! I can't stand tarnish build up though. Is that a problem with the pendant, Mochiko? Sorry, I don't mean to threadjack.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

15 tanks? What's in them? (sorry, sidetrack!)

I only have two, and they're small. It drives me nuts because I have big ideas for a big tank, but the only space we had for something like that got claimed by husband's desk. Someday when we move, I guess!

Anyway my drawing got the OK from my brother, and it sounds like it will be workable with a few minor changes on their end. This is my pathetic attempt at a drawing. :p

bfish003.jpg

They're going to shift some things around and either fill some of the negative space or work the scrollwork a little differently, but I like this a little better than the first pendant. It's not THAT different really, if you think about it, but I like the feel of it better.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG I love it love it love it! I want one.
All the tanks are heavily planted and we have discus, angels, halfbeaks, red rainbows, medusa and starlight plecos, an avocado puffer, blue shrimp, oranda and ranchu goldfish, and a glow in the dark axolotl. That is not including our dart frogs like in my avatar!

How did you draw that? It is amazing an you have a great eye for design.

I thought I was threadjacking above when I asked about tarnish lol!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

OK, I'm confused.....is the spinel going to be in the lily pad? I like the fish design.....any thoughts to reverse it on the left side so there are two on the pendant? symbolism........of course!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I like that a lot, Desk Jockey. If the fish could be a little wider (fatter) it would fill in some of the space & make the leaf (lily pad?) less "bossy" in the design, maybe. Oh gosh, I am SO IN LOVE with the 2 fish examples you posted, I can hardly stand it. They are beautiful beautiful. See, if I were a Vanderbilt I would have Oscar Heyman or v Cleef & Arpels make me earrings or brooches exactly like them, with colored-gem pavé. Since I'm not, I'll enjoy seeing the finished product of your pendant -- it is gonna be super.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

Spinel will live in the dangle on the bottom, and we will be putting a very small something colorful around the Lilly pad somewhere.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

ilovegemstones|1414012132|3771189 said:
OMG I love it love it love it! I want one.
All the tanks are heavily planted and we have discus, angels, halfbeaks, red rainbows, medusa and starlight plecos, an avocado puffer, blue shrimp, oranda and ranchu goldfish, and a glow in the dark axolotl. That is not including our dart frogs like in my avatar!

How did you draw that? It is amazing an you have a great eye for design!

I would love to claim awesomeness but really I just printed out the mahawan pendant off her page, and used a marker to adjust and change the lines. They well have free rein to adjust things to be more balanced and pleasing.

Love your fish list :) I really want discus and altum angels someday :)

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock

mochiko, who made that diamond and ruby(?) bypass ring with the leaf design? It's beautiful.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

deskjockey|1414016025|3771234 said:
Spinel will live in the dangle on the bottom, and we will be putting a very small something colorful around the Lilly pad somewhere.

Duh!! So taken with the pendant I didn't see the dangle part......................is it Friday yet?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

deskjockey, that sketch is amazing. Because of the boxy frame of the pendant, it looks like a top down view of the fish in a tank. I also have a blue betta fish at home and I love its iridescent, flowing fins. I think you've captured it well in the sketch. I think this pendant will be a beautiful piece of art! :clap: :clap:

urseberry, the diamond and garnet mother's ring was also made by Sally. It belongs to another PSer, Scarlett1. Here's the original thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-beautiful-mothers-ring.193698/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-beautiful-mothers-ring.193698/[/URL]

ilovegemstones, if you're asking about the heart pendant, it's not mine though I wish it were. I snagged the pic from Sally's gallery of sold items on Etsy. I imagine the silver might tarnish so you would need to dip it regularly. If you use gold instead it wouldn't be as big of a problem, right? :naughty: :naughty:

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

Looks like they are done:

carries_pendant.jpg

It's hard for me to remember how tiny and intricate it must be, the stone is 5mm so that puts it into perspective pretty well. :) Can't wait to get my grubby hands on it to see it in person, and definitely will be looking to do some things with HoW again. They're wonderful :)

It's funny, I was in a local jeweler that I want to go to for little things in the future (getting stuff set in stuller settings, that sort of thing), and the lady seemed absolutely appalled and skeptical at the idea of doing these kinds of things online. But man I love the internet. I got some great pieces from a different CONTINENT, they're put together into something beautiful, and it's done for probably half the price they'd have quoted me for that work (and probably better too).

I LOVE YOU PRICESCOPE.

*sniff*

Someday I will have some superamazing things to rival some of your collections but even for less fancy stuff, the info here has been so helpful and amazing, and I've found that this stuff is FUN!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looking good; can't wait to see it in your hands.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

So I wish photos could really accurately capture the pendant, it is so delicate and sweet in person, for some reason pictures make it seem a little chunkier. Anyway, now that it's in my paws:

carriespendant_home2.jpg

carriespendant_home_1.jpg

It really came out perfectly, and I can't wait to work with Sally again, though it will be a while.

And of course, my topaz... with christmas and kiddo's birthday and all the other things going on, cannot justify the setting I really want for this stone right now. But I really want to wear it. Really REALLY want to wear it. What to do? Why, buy a little snaptite pendant, of course! Now I get to wear it, which makes waiting for the right time to actually put it in something nicer a little easier to bear *grin* I was terrified to do this, thinking it couldn't possibly be as easy as the how-to videos show, but it was, and while it's not fancy or gorgeous, it makes it wearable, which makes me happy! Has anyone else done this? I know it's a cheap setting style and I will be as careful as possible, probably will not wear it too frequently!

iloveatopaz4.jpg

iloveatopaz.jpg

iloveatopaz3.jpg

I really need to get pics with my proper camera. the phone is just not cutting it anymore!!!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love how the fish pendant turned out! Congratulations!

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock

Those are beautiful! :appl:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful! I'm very intrigued by your snaptite pendant - is there any risk of chipping?

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

Honestly, there probably is depending on the stone? I was surprised at how bendy the thing was and how little pressure it took, though, so I imagine it's only a concern with pretty soft stones. But the flipside of that is that I imagine it's pretty easy to lose your stone if you're not careful or bang the setting with any force. Not something I'd use on something cherished or expensive, LOL.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That fish pendant is gorgeous! Love the little touches, like the detail on the lily pad. I'm sure your SIL will love it!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I love the pendant setting. So cool!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results