VVS1 clarity
EX/EX symmetry/polish
No fluorescence
depth % - 68
table % - 66
l/w - 1.4
GIA cert: 2176200702

Here is a photo of the stone and its ASET

My Jeweler brought the stone in and said it is an F leaning towards E color and that the stone is a sparkler. I am so excited to see my vision come to life. From the beginning when I started looking for the diamond I already had the setting I wanted to create in mind. I knew I wanted a split shank ring with pave diamonds. Originally, I wanted the split to be long to end at the bottom side of my gf's finger. But I also wanted the splits to resemble a "Y" more so than a "V". Given the length of the stone the longer splits caused the ring to look more like the "V," which to me made the ring look harsh and not as delicate as I wanted the ring to be. Still loved the long split and the design but the overall theme of the ring I wanted was delicacy. So, it was more important to shorten the split and have the "Y" shape than to have the longer split.

Here is a photo of the first CAD design.

After receiving the first design, as I mentioned above, I decided to shrink the split in favor of the more curved splits from the prongs. I added one more stone on the bottom of the shank on each side and the surprise "D" is going to be moved up slightly so if my potential fiance decides to wear a band it will not cover the bottom of the "D" or hit the diamonds. I know the CAD shows 10%-15% more metal than what the final product will be and seeing so many of the beautiful CAD designs to final products on here gave me confidence that this ring will come out as thin as I want. Each square is 1mm and my requirements were that the shanks be 1.7-1.8 mm so the 10%-15% is right on. As of today, the "D" will be in natural black diamonds. My gf and I love black diamonds and I thought this was a good way to incorporate the diamonds in the e-ring. My Jeweler doesn't agree with the black diamonds but told me to try it and if we don't like it they will simply pop them out and place white diamonds in the "D".

Here is the photo of the second CAD Design (Final except the "D" is getting moved up slightly:

I should receive pictures of the wax by Thursday or Friday. The wait is killing me :wall: I will post pictures when I receive them. I would love to hear people's opinions on the two CAD designs or the stone. Or if you have pictures of split shank emerald cut diamond rings feel free to post those too.

I wasn't expecting to have the ring so soon. So, I am in full blown proposal preparation. I have 1000000000 ideas but I have to scale them back because she is not the over the top person like me! :lol:

gia2176200702_1.jpg

_290.jpeg

6455_0.jpg

6455a_fn_4v.jpg

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious what does the "D" stand for?

I like the black diamond idea for it. I was thinking maybe a lower case "d" so that it could be more cursive and pronounced.

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
luvsdmb|1413991696|3771000 said:
Just curious what does the "D" stand for?

I like the black diamond idea for it. I was thinking maybe a lower case "d" so that it could be more cursive and pronounced.

My last name and hopefully hers. I like the idea of the lowercase "d".

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice. :wavey:

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1414016789|3771246 said:

Thanks for the compliment. I tried taking some of your advice and incorporating in the design. Didn't go with the split as short as you suggested but did shorten the split.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The curve is a good add. I would have done more of a curve, personally, but as long as you like it, it's good.

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
I would have loved more of a curve but I didn't want the split any higher than it is. So, I had to compromise or saved more money for a bigger diamond :think: so that it was longer and could make the curve more exaggerated.

I really liked the look of this setting with the radiant diamond (I believe).

I am happy I did the "v-cut" or fishtail (seen them interchangeably used) for the shank instead of the bright cut pave style. I think this setting will look nice with a "v-cut" or fishtail eternity band. But there I go putting the cart before the horse!

diamond_split_shank_modern_platinum_950_engagement_ring_5.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The proportions are wrong. The shanks on that are thinner in proportion to the center stone. Can you ask them to do it with smaller melee to make the shanks thinner.

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
I went back and forth with then regarding the thinness of the shanks. They assure me that the shanks will be thin (no more than 1.8 mm but should be 1.7 mm). In a perfect world I would have wanted 1.5 mm but then I don't want my potential fiance to worry about wearing the ring either.

I have a 3D model and the shanks are curved more than they appear in the CAD image. I should have a wax tomorrow, Friday at the latest. Hopefully the shanks are thin and I won't have to have them redo the CAD with smaller melee (though I am not opposed to doing smaller). My only requirement is to get both the e-ring and band to a minimum of 3 carats. Given the center stone is already 2.13 and as it stands the band is .68 carats so I'm sure to get to 3 carats plus.

For reference, I am attaching a photo that they provided me to show how thin the shank/band will be in comparison to the CAD:

You think the shank needs to be smaller than 1.7 mm?

merideth_s_0.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring, I love the black diamonds!

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
AprilBaby|1414024894|3771329 said:
Beautiful ring, I love the black diamonds!

Thank you!!! Yeah I really think she is going to be excited that I found a way to get black diamonds in her ring. We have talked about black diamonds a lot and I knew she really loved them as much as I do. Hopefully turns out very chic and stylish. Cledgy as she refers to herself.

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
So, I am very excited that I received photos of the wax model today. And a few pictures of some potential black diamonds for the "D" on the basket.

The wax model has been sent to casting and I should have a cast on Tuesday. :dance:

I think the model came out exactly as I had planned. You can see from the CAD to the wax model the "D" has been raised slightly higher to allow a band to be worn and not cover the bottom of the "D" and its stones.

Tell me what you think:

sean_1.jpg

sean3_through_penny.jpg

sean4_side.jpg

sean_blk_dia.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like you are happy! That's great!

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1414193034|3772287 said:
Looks like you are happy! That's great!

Happy or relieved not sure which I am feeling at the moment... Been a long time in the making and so I will be happy when I see the final product. But this is a good moment and thanks for the help Gypsy.

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
Just an update... Received pictures of the rough cast :dance:

All the melee diamonds for the shank and the "D" are selected. They are all D-F in color and VVS-VS in clarity.

The wait is really killing me now. But securing insurance quotes and putting together the proposal is occupying the majority of my time.

I really wanted claw prongs holding the diamond in place. But my jeweler suggested flat prongs (trapezoid shape to minimize metal) because it is more secure and less likely to get caught on clothes, etc. Personally, I love the look of claw (single and double) prongs but I secretly asked the GF about a pair of earrings and she went with flat. So, she gets what she selected plus I looked at all the beautiful rings in the Emerald and Asscher section and some other Emerald cut diamond rings on here and the flat was beautiful as well.

What are people thoughts on flat prongs on this ring??? Does it match the rest of the style of the ring?

Anyway here are some pics:

sean7_top_casting_with_diamond.jpg

sean8_side_d_casting.jpg

sean9_side_casting.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GQ, I think you should follow your jeweler's recommendation & your GF's seeming preference; those flat prongs complement an emerald cut very nicely (plus, they protect the corners of the stone). :))

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply. I fixate on every detail so sometimes I get caught up on what I original want versus what may be a better way to do it.

Your response helps put me at a bit of ease lol! I will still fixate over this until I see it!

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Looking good. What made you change your mind with the black diamonds?

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
luvsdmb|1414900962|3776216 said:

Thank you! I haven't changed my mind, I am still using the black diamonds in the "D". This is just the rough cast. But I did ask for a picture of the diamond in the cast just to give me a perspective on how it will look.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
GQsOwn|1414945140|3776367 said:

Thank you! I haven't changed my mind, I am still using the black diamonds in the "D". This is just the rough cast. But I did ask for a picture of the diamond in the cast just to give me a perspective on how it will look.

Oh sorry, I read your post wrong. Your diamond is really pretty, can't wait to see it.

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
luvsdmb|1414945530|3776371 said:

Oh sorry, I read your post wrong. Your diamond is really pretty, can't wait to see it.

No worries!!! Thank you for the compliment. Makes the eight months of searching worth it!!! I can't wait to see it either. I should have the ring by Wednesday! :pray:

My jeweler really wants me to use white diamonds for the sparkle. The black diamonds are all natural untreated and she said they are really really black so they don't really sparkle. But that isn't the reason I want black diamonds. So, we will see when I get pictures of the ring with the black diamonds I will post to see if I should switch to white.

The other choice was for fancy yellow diamonds but jeweler was afraid the yellow gold on the basket would counter how white the stone is since I went with a colorless diamond.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an EC, G color set in yellow gold. The basket is YG so I had the jeweler rhodium plate the inside of the basket so that the yellow gold didn't throw tint to the diamond from the sides or below. I also used white prongs. If you find that the black diamonds don't work, and you want to try yellow, perhaps this would be an option for you.

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
Lookinagain|1414947465|3776377 said:
I have an EC, G color set in yellow gold. The basket is YG so I had the jeweler rhodium plate the inside of the basket so that the yellow gold didn't throw tint to the diamond from the sides or below. I also used white prongs. If you find that the black diamonds don't work, and you want to try yellow, perhaps this would be an option for you.

Thanks for your suggestion that sounds like a really good alternative.

I am trying to envision your ring and every way I see it the ring sounds beautiful. I love EC.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
GQsOwn|1414945770|3776373 said:

No worries!!! Thank you for the compliment. Makes the eight months of searching worth it!!! I can't wait to see it either. I should have the ring by Wednesday! :pray:

My jeweler really wants me to use white diamonds for the sparkle. The black diamonds are all natural untreated and she said they are really really black so they don't really sparkle. But that isn't the reason I want black diamonds. So, we will see when I get pictures of the ring with the black diamonds I will post to see if I should switch to white.

The other choice was for fancy yellow diamonds but jeweler was afraid the yellow gold on the basket would counter how white the stone is since I went with a colorless diamond.

Yeah I had a ring for a short period of time with black diamonds and they didn't sparkle. But I think this is a little different, this is just a little added touch because you both love black diamonds. If possible, keep them black and let your girlfriend decide. If you both don't like the black they could just switch them out. I think you will need to see it person before you will know for sure.

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
luvsdmb|1414948077|3776383 said:

Yeah I had a ring for a short period of time with black diamonds and they didn't sparkle. But I think this is a little different, this is just a little added touch because you both love black diamonds. If possible, keep them black and let your girlfriend decide. If you both don't like the black they could just switch them out. I think you will need to see it person before you will know for sure.

Excellent point!!! Thank you for that. I will just keep the black diamonds in and let my girlfriend decide. I know she will love them and appreciate that I remembered her mentioning black diamonds so long ago. Plus, she mentioned me having a black diamond band so it would be a little connection between the rings.

This has been a very stressful project and time so I really appreciate your advice!

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
GQsOwn|1414948621|3776386 said:
luvsdmb|1414948077|3776383 said:

Excellent point!!! Thank you for that. I will just keep the black diamonds in and let my girlfriend decide. I know she will love them and appreciate that I remembered her mentioning black diamonds so long ago. Plus, she mentioned me having a black diamond band so it would be a little connection between the rings.

This has been a very stressful project and time so I really appreciate your advice!

You are welcome. Check this out http://www.simoneandson.com/wedding_bandsmen.asp
for your wedding band, since you mentioned black diamonds. They have amazing bands for men.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results