shape
carat
color
clarity

Restoration recommendations on men's platinum diamond ring

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
For those of you who have seen this ring on Antique & Vintage Jewelry forgive the double posting. . .
I am starting this thread to share with you a wonderful find and to confirm a good restoration bench.

I acquired this ring yesterday from a private seller with whom I negotiated a sale after having discovered it on ebay. I can tell you that without all of you I would never have been able to recognize this treasure, let alone negotiate a private transaction without certs! I had purchased a stone in May to copy a beautiful art deco ring I had seen at auction but found it difficult to finesse the CAD designs to my liking and so decided to look for a nice vintage ring instead. I love antiques and the stories objects can tell and so was intrigued to discover a listing for an antique mens ring that had an interesting family history that places it in the early 1920s with its original stone. The rather poor photographs in the listing seemed to suggest that the stone was a good one so I requested more photos from the seller after the ring failed to sell.

The diamond had been appraised a number of times as a 2.17 ct H/I VS by the seller's father but was never certed. My appraiser thought it might be closer to a J but I have no desire to unset the stone to find out. In any event, it appears to be an early MRB with a smallish table, open culet, thin girdle, and long lgfs. DreamerD, I'll post specs on the stone once I find out what the appraiser can ascertain. According to the seller, the ring was made by her grandfather after a trip to Europe (or was it England?) where he purchased diamonds. This one he kept for himself and had the ring made in the US. I am thrilled to find such a beautiful setting with a stone that shows how early these modern stones were being cut. Al Gilbertson's book has been a fascinating read on this story and helped to make this ring especially interesting to me given the fact that the diamond is original to the ring. I am also happy to have found a men's ring with a beautifully cut stone. I am always on the lookout for interesting jewelry and get the sense that diamonds of a lesser quality often end up in mens rings . . . or is it that nice diamonds in men's rings get harvested and rings with less desirable stones remain?

In any event, the diamond appears to have been flanked by what were probably calibre cut sapphires. I combed PS yesterday to look at postings on platinum milgrain restoration and found many recommendations for Single Stone. I contacted SS and was told that restoration of the side stones (either synthetic or natural ) can be done. In the process of looking at threads I also discovered Circe's thread that documents the nightmare she had to endure when she decided to alter the prongs of her vintage setting. And so, I wonder if I should simply leave the setting alone. Can I expect to have this kind of restoration done without too much risk? I do think the ring will be smashing with the side stones restored. Thoughts and recommendations appreciated!

_21403.jpg
side_41.jpg __57__6_0.jpg

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Re: Restoration recommendations on vintage platinum men's ri

Here's the photo sent to me by the seller that had me intrigued:
1920s_ring.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Restoration recommendations on men's platinum diamond ri

I think it looks nice the way it is.

I also think that you have nothing to worry about with Singlestone restoration. You might want to try Adam at OWD at well. Singlestone is EXPENSIVE. So make sure you get a firm quote.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, that's a gorgeous ring!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nice find! I think it looks great as it is too :)

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock

_21455.jpg

_21456.jpg

_21457.jpg

_21458.jpg

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock

_21460.jpg

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock

_21461.jpg

_21462.jpg

_21459.jpg

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock

_21466.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That looks just right on you! :)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Nice ring.

Most of those were originally set with synthetic sapphires and you can custom cut stones to fit the spaces but it's unlikely anyone will just happen to have them sitting in the drawer. That makes it a pretty expensive job. There probably were 2 stones on each side.

Setting these is tricky. The problem is to do it without messing with all of that decorative work on the channel walls. A good jeweler can do it but this is not an easy job.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock

DA,
Thanks for chiming in. I have gotten repeated recommendations for two benches: Adam at Old World Diamonds and Single Stone.
Despite the expense I would love to see the ring restored to its original appearance. . . anyone out there have experience with a similar repair you'd like to share?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Both of those companies have skilled jewelers. Have you spoken with them about it? It's not a given that they'll even take the job. The tricky part here is custom cutting 4 or 6 sapphires to some pretty exacting specs. This is not a job that most diamond companies are prepared to do although they surely have contractors they can work with. It's a bit outside 'the box' for most repair people.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock

I have been in touch with Heather at Single Stone who said that they could do the job. She seemed quite familiar with the challenges it presents. My communication about this has been limited to e-mail exchanges with photo attachments so I will follow up with a phone call to see what she says. While I think the ring would be terrific with the stones restored I would hate to ruin it by trying to restore!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock

Hello all,
Just wanted to share the first picture of the ring with restored side sapphires. Single Stone did an amazing job!

_23467.jpg

Rena7

Shiny_Rock

That looks great. I would love to see some more pictures.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Be still my heart. I rarely comment, rather lurk, but that ring is gorgeous. It was beautiful before, but now it is truly breath taking.

Enjoy it!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock

_23506.jpg

_23507.jpg

_23508.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Super Cool!
I love it!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for all the compliments! I was a bit apprehensive about having the side stones reset. It seems that I could have just left it alone but I am so pleased with the excellent workmanship. Truly superlative!

_23509.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How cool! Beautiful and the restoration is flawless

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Gorgeous - GO SINGLESTONE!

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock

Seamless! Beautiful stones too.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They did a great job! The sapphires look perfect!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results