shape
carat
color
clarity

Can a brown-yellow diamond look pink?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would love it if any colored diamond experts could lend their expertise on this question.

I am interested in a diamond for sale through an online vendor. What attracted me to the diamond is that in the photo and video the diamond looks pinkish/ orangey brown, however, the GIA report says it is brown yellow.

There are no additional photos of the diamond, however the in-house gemologist has said that the diamond is orangey/brown-yellow in natural lighting, and a champagne-like brownish yellow in fluorescent lighting.

Could this combination of colors give a pinkish look, or are my eyes deceiving me?

I am confused about how secondary hues in colored diamonds are described. I have seen pinkish brown and pink brown diamonds which to my eye have no discernible pink in them. I have also seen an orangey brown diamond which looked pink (kind of peachy pink) yet there was no mention of pink on the GIA report.

I realise that the only way to know for certain is to see the diamond in person, but as I am in a different country to the vendor I don't want to risk customs and return shipping fees if I am way off base about the the color (photos and videos can still be misleading).

Are there any colored diamond experts who have come across brown-yellows looking pinkish? Or peach/ copper? Or am I going mad? :)

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In short, yes I think this is entirely possible. It also depends on what your eyes identify as pink. It could be a peachy color looks pink to you and it may be so, if a modifier is not strong enough then it may not be on the report but may still be there and discernible to your eyes if you are color sensitive. There are also cases when diamonds with pink on the report hardly have any and others without pink seems to have more. That said, it is also a possibility that it is the pix. Perhaps you could point us in the direction of the diamonds and then we can see it for you, place it on hold first if you want to make sure someone does not buy it before you. But I have seen what you are describing a few times. Rose gold setting can also emphasize the pinkish/peachy look.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply. Sounds like I may not be completely of track then! :)

The diamond is on hold for me. Here is a picture:

fancy_brown_yellow_oval.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry I do not see any hint of pink in it. It looks yellowish brown on my monitor.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Here I see some, a bit peachy/pinkish which you could emphasize with the setting. But it may only be the pic, my monitor, I cannot tell you this for sure based on one picture, definitely DO request more pix and/or videos if you want to make sure or alternatively get in touch with other vendors who provide more pix, have the stones in stock and can tell you if they also notice a slight pink tint in a diamond in which it is not identified as a modifier but it can be difficult to source such a diamond. Otherwise, you can take a chance on it but I understand that a return may be a problem.You can also ask this vendor about the stone. Tough call.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Chrono, on my monitor it hardly appears yellow, brown yes, a slightly peachy/pinkish brown but even pure browns can look pinkish in certain lighting especially in rose gold.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a bit of peach, but I wouldnt go so far as to say pink. I agree with a video, unless you have a great return policy.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OVincze|1413921224|3770526 said:
Hi Chrono, on my monitor it hardly appears yellow, brown yes, a slightly peachy/pinkish brown but even pure browns can look pinkish in certain lighting especially in rose gold.
It looks pinkish on my monitor as well. Quite nice actually. But the advice about getting more images is very sound. Photographing this kind of diamond is very tricky and the editing process to put it on the web can also alter nuances of color. On my monitor the background also has a bit of pink which indicates a possible color shift. More images might help determine what you are likely to see when you get it.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OVincze|1413921131|3770525 said:
Here I see some, a bit peachy/pinkish which you could emphasize with the setting. But it may only be the pic, my monitor, I cannot tell you this for sure based on one picture, definitely DO request more pix and/or videos if you want to make sure or alternatively get in touch with other vendors who provide more pix, have the stones in stock and can tell you if they also notice a slight pink tint in a diamond in which it is not identified as a modifier but it can be difficult to source such a diamond. Otherwise, you can take a chance on it but I understand that a return may be a problem.You can also ask this vendor about the stone. Tough call.

OVincze, It sounds like you are seeing what I am seeing, although Chrono clearly is not. The gemologist said that the diamond looks orangey/brown-yellow in natural lighting, and a champagne-like brownish yellow in fluorescent lighting and he did not mention pink. I wasn't sure whether that means there is no pink, or just that vendors are likely to err on the side of caution when using the "pink" descriptor, especially if its not mentioned on the GIA report.

I agree that a warm peachy tone is probably a better description than pink. I don't understand why this is a brown yellow (suggesting that yellow is the main color). I see hardly any yellow, and mostly brown with some warm peachy/ maybe pinkish tones. Maybe I am just color blind! :)

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1413922787|3770544 said:
It looks pinkish on my monitor as well. Quite nice actually. But the advice about getting more images is very sound. Photographing this kind of diamond is very tricky and the editing process to put it on the web can also alter nuances of color. On my monitor the background also has a bit of pink which indicates a possible color shift. More images might help determine what you are likely to see when you get it.

There is a video which looks the same as the photo I posted (the photo came from the video I think). Unfortunately, this is the extent of the information on offer, along with the in-house gemmologist's inspection and brief report (I posted his comments on the color). I wasn't able to speak to the gemmologist in person, all the information has been passed via the sales advisor. I have asked, but there is no option for more photos or videos in other lighting etc. :(

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondhoarder|1413923340|3770549 said:
Texas Leaguer|1413922787|3770544 said:

There is a video which looks the same as the photo I posted (the photo came from the video I think). Unfortunately, this is the extent of the information on offer, along with the in-house gemmologist's inspection and brief report (I posted his comments on the color). I wasn't able to speak to the gemmologist in person, all the information has been passed via the sales advisor. I have asked, but there is no option for more photos or videos in other lighting etc. :(
It's a tough one. Color perception/description is always one of those sticky wickets. I would say that if you are comfortable with the stone appearing brown yellow with no discernible pink in most lighting situations, then it is worth the chance. If you get it and it has the pink, you hit a home run. As has been suggested it is possible for the pink to be there but not have been deemed sufficient as a modifier to make the GIA color call. Some of the darker brown "cognac" colors do have an orangy component to my eye.

Can you post the GIA cert or the cert number?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't say pink. I'd say coppery. A bit of blush. But not with the blue-ish hue of a pink. More the orangy of copper.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a pleasing warm brown color. I would investigate further if you like the stone.

Here are more examples. For example the pear at the top of the page to me has some reddish tones in it, though it is described as "fancy brown orange"
http://www.mineralminers.com/html/diagems.stm

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Such stones can be very "chameleon like"
Sometimes in a good way, sometimes not so much.
I agree that a single picture or video taken in a light box is not going to be able to give sufficient info to tell how much pink it has in real life.
I can say that times when we've had such stones that show "unannounced pink", they won't they generally won't show it under the conditions likely used for that picture.
The setting makes a huge difference in how pink the diamond looks as well

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
brown with peach undertone.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1413925397|3770568 said:
Such stones can be very "chameleon like"
Sometimes in a good way, sometimes not so much.
I agree that a single picture or video taken in a light box is not going to be able to give sufficient info to tell how much pink it has in real life.
I can say that times when we've had such stones that show "unannounced pink", they won't they generally won't show it under the conditions likely used for that picture.
The setting makes a huge difference in how pink the diamond looks as well

Hmmm. That's interesting. What would be the conditions that would show up "unannounced pink"? What kind of lighting is used in a light box - is it "daylight" or more like fluorescent lighting?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Generally light boxes have very "white" light, so the light is not all that warm- of course I have no specific knowledge of how that specific shot was taken.
I run all over our office taking photos in all different sorts of light as the combination of natural and fluorescent, to me, provides the most accurate pictures..
The stone below showed pink without a doubt in normal room lighting- the picture was taken in a light box, and to me, shows little pink.
r5169-pink-omb-dbl-diamond-a.jpg

GIA graded it Fancy Orangy Brown, which was quite honestly a huge disappointment for us.
Hopefully the vendor can answer your question as it's really impossible without putting ones eyes on the stone.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, I too agree with the others that pix may show something that is not there, e.g., if the background is pinkish then yes the stone may appear pinkish and not have pink at all IRL. Color perception does vary greatly and so does the color pink, I mean that the stone in question does not have a cold bluish pink but that is not the only pink, orangey, peachy pinks are pinks too regardless. Actually, I personally love warmer orangey or brownish pinks. Yes, this stone shows more of a warm peachy pink modifier to it if it is not only the photo.

I think what David provided was very helpful information as to photos and stones with pink in them. You are right that while the stone is gorgeous and I see the orange, on this photo under white light conditions,I do not see pink in this stone, however, the buyer for it will certainly be a lucky person being that GIA did not identify pink as a modifier on the report. It must have been a huge disappointment. I also agree greatly with David that fancy colored diamonds can really surprise us when it comes to setting them, in some cases a huge is greatly emphasized after setting. The setting can also really increase the saturation. In other cases, to the contrary and sometimes one has no idea why it happens. I have once set a brownish yellow in white gold and the color was much more intensive after setting but the vivid yellow melee became almost inapparent in the setting. Anyhow, OP I would discourage you from setting this stone in white gold but would definitely suggest rose.

In conclusion, I too think that OP you should ONLY buy this stone if you can still like it if it has no pink in it. It does indeed look like a very nice stone, I personally love some yellowish browns but if you want pink in the stone for sure then perhaps look for a stone where the vendor can attest to that the stone does indeed have some pink in it whether on the report or not.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks peachy brown to me. Since we are all seeing different colors, I wonder if different people perceive colors differently.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I tend to think that if the diamond looked at all pink, then it would be listed that way. As you already know, judging color on a computer screen is not a valid way to accurately judge color. To me, the diamond appears to be a light brown with a bit of peach. It's a pretty stone and would look lovely set in rose gold, but I wouldn't purchase it in hopes of accenting (pink) a color that might not be there in the first place.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ok, correction as to David's stone, upon looking at the stone again I have noticed that certain areas exhibit a bit of pink, you are right that it would be more so under other lighting conditions.

As to OP's stone in question I examined the background and to me it looks mostly bluish at least on my monitor, I do see a bit of a pink haze in the lower part of the photo which I see all over the stone but I also wonder if this haze because to me here the pinkish hue looks more like a haze over the stone was entirely due to something reflecting into the stone. Ok, done overanalysing. I am definitely not an expert on photography but love analysing color.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OVincze|1413986070|3770948 said:
Ok, correction as to David's stone, upon looking at the stone again I have noticed that certain areas exhibit a bit of pink, you are right that it would be more so under other lighting conditions.

As to OP's stone in question I examined the background and to me it looks mostly bluish at least on my monitor, I do see a bit of a pink haze in the lower part of the photo which I see all over the stone but I also wonder if this haze because to me here the pinkish hue looks more like a haze over the stone was entirely due to something reflecting into the stone. Ok, done overanalysing. I am definitely not an expert on photography but love analysing color.
Regarding the photography, if in the editing process the pink was accidentally dialed up then everything in in the photo would have a bit more pink. So, seeing pink in the background/foreground is an indication this could might be the case. It would also follow that the verbal descriptions from the gemologists that do not mention pink or pinkish or slightly pink in some lights.

On the subject of how we see and describe color, many people have used the term peach or peachy. In my mind peach is a combination of colors that includes pink.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Yes, I suppose the term "peach" might include pink, but in this case, I used it to express the orangey or coppery color (in conjunction with brown) that I saw (not pink). This makes sense in terms of the gemologist description that notes the color as orangey-brown (and again, not pink).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, it looks brownish peach - I like it, I think it's a pretty stone.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
one picture doesn't tell the whole story of fancy colored diamond...

My GIA fancy Greenish Yellow Brown... exhibit a LOT of yellow... which is weird, because yours should be predominantly yellow based on the report :wacko: and mine 'should' be more brown... ask for more pictures if possible...

color diamonds are fun to see in various lighting...

I think putting it on a rose gold would make this look more "champagne"

Beautiful nonetheless.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
peach_fruit.jpg

A peach has a similar combination of colors to the specific lotus flower after which the rare 'padparascha' sapphire is named. A mix of yellow,orange and pink.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lotus-blossom.jpg
Lotus flower which is the namesake of the padparascha.

pad_rough.jpg

Beautiful specimen of rough padparascha sapphire.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When yellow and brown are present in a diamond, to almost any degree, the results are unpredictable.
I've seen literally hundreds of stones with this grade and there's no end to the variations possible. As Bryan mentioned, the gemologists can only use what they see- and the lighting used is standardized. But when people look at diamonds, there's no standard lighting setup, and also as mentioned, people perceive things differently.
Plus, the more color, the more difficulty in standardizing results.
in other words, how different can one D color be from the next? There are variations, but they are minor.
It's far easier specifying the lack of color as opposed to quantifying and identifying how much and what color we see.

This causes huge problems for cutters.
Recently a cutter showed me a stone which I could only describe as "super vivid"- the color was so remarkably vibrant.
Unfortunately ( for the cutter) GIA had detected brown, so it got a Fancy Deep Brownish Yellow grade.
But the cutter who purchased the diamond in the rough had every reason to believe he'd get that super vivid.
In a 3 ct diamond you're looking at tens of thousands of dollars lost over that GIA grade.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You spoke out of my mind, when I imagine a peach, it definitely includes pink. The photos clearly show that. It is one of my favorite colors, not really orange, not really pink but both at the same time. Coral is like that too and watermelon, darker and different versions of it. It is a warm pink that I love, a purplish or lavender/violet pink is also pink but colder toned. Thanks for sharing, beautiful pix!

Now I am thinking it would be interesting to find out what the stone really is like if OP decides to get it. It is indeed a nice stone from what we see here.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the responses on this so far. Its encouraging to hear that I am not alone in my color perception based on the photo.

A quick update:-

I have asked that I be able to speak to the gemologist directly when he/she views the stone so that I can get this "pink/ peach" question answered more directly.

I will let you know the outcome. Might be a couple of days before I know more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results