shape
carat
color
clarity

N-Z diamonds

mogedon

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Doing a little research around diamonds and obviously with "colourless" diamonds the colour scale contributes significantly to price. The thing is that I rather like the look of the yellow tinged diamonds! But the problem is that online jewellers don't seem to carry diamonds of colour grades M or higher. Does anyone know of somewhere I can look specifically for these stones?

Other questions I would love an opinion on are:

1) Do higher colour grades affect the scintillation/fire and overall optics i.e. the cut? From what I've read it doesn't seem to matter.

2) I was looking at either a cushion (after a more antique, wider facet)/radiant/round brilliant shape. Is there a better shape for non-colourless stones with regard to achieving best optics?

3) An idea occurred to me - perhaps the "fancy" colours (blue, brown, black etc) is the industry's shorthand for anything greater than an M colour? This could be a problem as they seem to get more expensive...does anyone have any thoughts around the core quality differences in say an X coloured diamond and a natural fancy yellow stone?

If I could afford it, I would definitely consider going for a light yellow "fancy" stone. Not really worried about irradiation of the stone to achieve the yellow though I'm yet to do more research into this. My fear of course is that this process is only short term and will compromise the stone's integrity.

Many thanks in advance!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out Diamonds by Lauren.
David has got a very educational website and is also our resident fancy (and near fancy) yellow diamond expert.

mogedon

Rough_Rock
Thanks - Diamonds by Lauren has what I'm after. Pretty much everything seems to be sold already though? Their range seems fairly limited compared to some of the bigger online retailers (makes sense as I'm getting the sense coloured diamonds are a niche market).

Are there any other websites you can possibly think of?

I'm a little confused that it's so difficult to find near fancy diamonds to be honest. I thought that they were far more common than D-F rated diamonds and given the perceived undesirability of these higher grades I could get a larger carat stone for a lower price. Am I just kidding myself here?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah Diamonds by Lauren is where you should be looking. They're great for light yellows. They carry modern antique cuts and modern cuts. You can always contact them with what you want if they don't have it on their site or if most of it is sold.

No, xyz diamonds (which are LOW in colour, not high :) ) don't have less sparkle and no, there is no cut or shape that is better. Its all personal preference. Many fcds are cut into radiants because radiants concentrate colour better. So a cutter may cut an xyz diamond into a radiant to try achieve a GIA fancy grade.

As for your third question. I don't know if Im understanding it right. Are asking if a fancy blue may be the parallel, saturation wise, of a low coloured yellow diamond?

As for these diamonds availability, they are not that readily available because there isn't a big market for them. I've seen sites that won't sell low colour diamonds because they consider them low quality.

People on PS have gotten them from Leibish too but i don't think they list those on their site.

Believe it or not, ebay may be a good source too. But others can point you to specific vendors.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Don't hesitate to ask at both Diamonds by Lauren and Leibish -- anywhere else our diamond gurus here recommend. Vendors don't put everything in their inventory on their sites, so they usually have more than you see, or can try to find what you want for you.

If you're asking if colored diamonds -- blue, brown, etc. -- are considered lower quality than white ones, the answer is definitely no. They are kind of a different stripe. Fancy colored diamonds go for very high prices, depending on a number of factors. There is some great info here: http://www.leibish.com/diamond-education & I'm sure others who know more will chime in with help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Old Gold also has a selection of warmer diamonds cut, including some in their patented antique-style August Vintage round and cushion cuts (designed for optimal light performance) - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondSearch.php - you can also contact them directly if there is something specific you are looking for - likely not your most inexpensive option but if performance and optics are top priorities for you, GOG's services include extensive info on stones they sell...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love off-color diamonds myself, and even some light champagne colors. I think they're a great way to save money and get a much larger stone. Good luck on your search.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results