shape
carat
color
clarity

Just in time for XYZmas, Breaking Bad Action Figures

Should Toys R Us be selling Breaking Bad Action Figures?

• Yes

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted no, but IMO they shouldn't sell other stuff that harms impressionable young minds, such as Barbie dolls.

Maybe kids are not influenced by 'cool stuff' they are exposed to.
But, what the hell do I know. :nono:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL man, anything to make a buck nowadays. This doesn't seem appropriate for children IMO, but I know some adults who'd enjoy it as a gift.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The action figures are not intended for small children - I believe that the packaging even states that they are for ages 15 and up. Having said that, I don't think that it's appropriate for sale in Toys-R-Us. Somebody was asleep at the wheel when those were ordered and/or stocked...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fifteen, shmifteen! :roll:

It's okay to give your 15-year old kid toys that portray drug dealing and meth labs as cool?

For that, I think the minimum age should be 128. :knockout:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I want them!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kids Schmids, I know what I'm asking Santa for!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don't care.

Most of those are going to be bought by adults, for adults. Or by parents for teenagers who are already Breaking Bad fans, and presumably the family had already had discussions about drug use etc.

And if any adults are buying those for younger kids, well, those families probably have problems that are bigger than toy choices.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1413846031|3770066 said:

It's okay to give your 15-year old kid toys that portray drug dealing and meth labs as cool?

I kind of identify with your sentiments.
The Breaking Bad action figures can go with the butt-plug Santa in the recycle bin.
BUT
context is everything for young children.
I can see the Breaking Bad figurines playing the starring roles as villians in kids fantasy games.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Eh, if you actually watch the show (it is an excellent example of actual storytelling, rather than most drivel that's on TV these days) it's really a tragic story. I can't imagine anyone watching that show and really wanting to be anything like Walter White.

Basic premise is that he is a brilliant but very underpaid high school chemistry teacher, whose son has cerebral palsy, wife has just been found out she's pregnant in her 40s, he works two jobs (second is at a car wash) and he is diagnosed with lung cancer. So he's desperate to provide for his family in the quickest way possible before his cancer kills him. While it all starts out as being noble...the Walter White you meet in the first episode is barely recognizable from the Walt you get to know in the second season, third season and fourth season. And the Walt that's in the 5th season....well. Yeah. He's not the same person, at all.

There are tons of "toys" sold at TRU for just adults. I see nothing wrong with it. Just like how I see nothing wrong with Freddy Krueger (Nightmare on Elm Street) action figures or Jason (Friday the 13th) action figures. Toys in these stores are typically arranged roughly by age group, so you'd have to go looking for these things. It's not like they are next to Elmo and Dora!

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index...rds=freddy krueger&origkw=freddy+krueger&sr=1

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index...s=friday the 13th&origkw=friday+the+13th&sr=1

Just for fun, The Walking Dead stuff:
http://www.toysrus.com/search/index...the walking dead&origkw=the+walking+dead&sr=1

TRU isn't letting it come up in a search (probably removed it from the site), but here you go:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...on figure&sprefix=breaking+bad+action,aps,365

ETA: what VRBeauty said.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Can I get them without the figures, just the bags of meth and cash?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1413876158|3770239 said:

Eh, if you actually watch the show (it is an excellent example of actual storytelling, rather than most drivel that's on TV these days) it's really a tragic story. I can't imagine anyone watching that show and really wanting to be anything like Walter White.

Basic premise is that he is a brilliant but very underpaid high school chemistry teacher, whose son has cerebral palsy, wife has just been found out she's pregnant in her 40s, he works two jobs (second is at a car wash) and he is diagnosed with lung cancer. So he's desperate to provide for his family in the quickest way possible before his cancer kills him. While it all starts out as being noble...the Walter White you meet in the first episode is barely recognizable from the Walt you get to know in the second season, third season and fourth season. And the Walt that's in the 5th season....well. Yeah. He's not the same person, at all.

So if your life is tragic, you fit the quintessential sympathetic demographic, you are a straight white family man, brilliant, an underpaid teacher with a second degrading job, have a son with cerebral palsy, have a pregnant wife in her 40s, work two jobs have cancer and only want to provide for you family ... then ... Eh ... committing crime is okay? and not just okay ... I want an action figure to remind me of this admirable criminal when I'm not actually watching the show? Okay then.

Eh ... no!

I don't shive a git how well-made and popular the show is.
McDonald's is the most popular restaurant. :knockout:
So?

I've never seen it and I'm judging this action figure.
The show apparently has brainwashed people into believing that crime is okay, if the sob story is compelling enough.

Crime is crime.
Crime is illegal and wrong and such an 'action figure' is not a role model for my 15-yr old ... or ... Eh ... me!
Now I'm glad I never watched the show, and will stop remotely considering watching it.

But a billion people raise their kids to believe a virgin had a baby so clearly my brain is defective.

Buy the Breaking Bad action figure.
Vote with your dollars and send the message that, "crime is relative".
All the lives ruined by the meth he produces and sells are less important than that of this poor poor wonderful man.

Apparently everything is up for grabs these days. :roll:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1413935696|3770681 said:
So if your life is tragic, you fit the quintessential sympathetic demographic, you are a straight white family man, brilliant, an underpaid teacher with a second degrading job, have a son with cerebral palsy, have a pregnant wife in her 40s, work two jobs have cancer and only want to provide for you family ... then ... Eh ... committing crime is okay? and not just okay ... I want an action figure to remind me of this admirable criminal when I'm not actually watching the show? Okay then.

Eh ... no!

So?

The show apparently has brainwashed people into believing that crime is okay, if the sob story is compelling enough.

Crime is crime.
Crime is illegal and wrong and such an 'action figure' is not a role model for my 15-yr old ... or ... Eh ... me!
Now I'm glad I never watched the show, and will stop remotely considering watching it.

But a billion people raise their kids to believe a virgin had a baby so clearly my brain is defective.

All the lives ruined by the meth he produces and sells are less important than that of this poor poor wonderful man.

Yeah, that's kind of the thrill of the show.
He's a goodie! but he's becoming a baddie! And at what point do you, dear viewer, stop seeing him as 'the hero'...
Just another 'shades of grey' (in the old fashioned sense) modern fairy tale.
With just the touch of juvenile slightly lefty moral equivalence to make things more interesting.

I started to watch it. The arts communities internationally were GUSHING about it.
It started well enough. But I found the blood and guts a bit much for my taste, and after a couple of hours it all became rather grim.
I didn't really want / need to spend a couple hours a week imagining myself as a drug dealer... so feeling like an artistic pleb, I gave it the flick

Driving around a meth lab is ball-and-chain depressing. (which was one of the 'artistic points' to be made, I'd imagine).
:tongue:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Eh ... no!

So?

Crime is crime.

Good grief Kenny, way to over exaggerate and over generalize everything I said. I never said anything about crime being ok, or anything about how wonderful Walter White is.

It's called empathy. I certainly can empathize with Walter's early situation, as when my mother was going through cancer treatment the second time, my parents paid $250k out of pocket and they had very good insurance and luckily my father had a good paying job.

Would I turn to manufacturing meth to turn a quick buck? No. Would most people? No. But you should really look up Robert Agnew's "strain theory" before jumping all over me about it. Crime is not ok. I don't think anyone who is reading this probably thinks that crime, or ANYTHING that Walter White did was acceptable in most social circles.

Keep in mind that it's FICTIONAL. Walt/Heisenberg isn't real. His meth-slingers aren't real. Tuco (thank goodness) is not real. Neither is Gus Fring or any of the characters in the story. Real drugs are sad and scary, and real drugs have very little to do with this show.

Also, everything that I described was taken from basically the first episode, in an attempt to not spoil things. Walter White aka Heisenberg is an interesting character, and it's entertaining to watch as he falls down the so-called rabbit hole. As I said, I don't think anyone who watches Breaking Bad wants to emulate Walter White's life or his demise. He's an anti-hero, a very well written anti-hero who you sometimes might consider his actions, motives and intentions to be justifiable. And that is what is so intriguing about his story - it's not black and white, it's 1,000 different shades of gray. He is a good guy that becomes incredibly...bad. There is no glory in anything Walter or his companions do in the show.

Also, I grew up in Albuquerque, and Breaking Bad has done amazing things for the economy there. I have nothing but support for the show and the production of it. I also grew up in a house a few doors down from a main character's house, and lived in Albuquerque for 29 years of my life and it is nice to see it on screen and how much they embraced the city, it's people (many of the actors you see on screen are local) and it's surroundings.

Now, I could critique the show and talk about it's problems all day long if given the opportunity, but selling action figures of a deplorable character? Not really on my radar. Even as someone who frequents Toys R Us on a regular basis to scour the preschool section.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1413961856|3770831 said:

Eh ... no!

So?

Crime is crime.

Good grief Kenny, way to over exaggerate and over generalize everything I said. I never said anything about crime being ok, or anything about how wonderful Walter White is.

It's called empathy. I certainly can empathize with Walter's early situation, as when my mother was going through cancer treatment the second time, my parents paid $250k out of pocket and they had very good insurance and luckily my father had a good paying job.

Would I turn to manufacturing meth to turn a quick buck? No. Would most people? No. But you should really look up Robert Agnew's "strain theory" before jumping all over me about it. Crime is not ok. I don't think anyone who is reading this probably thinks that crime, or ANYTHING that Walter White did was acceptable in most social circles.

Keep in mind that it's FICTIONAL. Walt/Heisenberg isn't real. His meth-slingers aren't real. Tuco (thank goodness) is not real. Neither is Gus Fring or any of the characters in the story. Real drugs are sad and scary, and real drugs have very little to do with this show.

Also, everything that I described was taken from basically the first episode, in an attempt to not spoil things. Walter White aka Heisenberg is an interesting character, and it's entertaining to watch as he falls down the so-called rabbit hole. As I said, I don't think anyone who watches Breaking Bad wants to emulate Walter White's life or his demise. He's an anti-hero, a very well written anti-hero who you sometimes might consider his actions, motives and intentions to be justifiable. And that is what is so intriguing about his story - it's not black and white, it's 1,000 different shades of gray. He is a good guy that becomes incredibly...bad. There is no glory in anything Walter or his companions do in the show.

Also, I grew up in Albuquerque, and Breaking Bad has done amazing things for the economy there. I have nothing but support for the show and the production of it. I also grew up in a house a few doors down from a main character's house, and lived in Albuquerque for 29 years of my life and it is nice to see it on screen and how much they embraced the city, it's people (many of the actors you see on screen are local) and it's surroundings.

Now, I could critique the show and talk about it's problems all day long if given the opportunity, but selling action figures of a deplorable character? Not really on my radar. Even as someone who frequents Toys R Us on a regular basis to scour the preschool section.

Well said, Freke!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's stupid that they're pulling them. Adults like toys and collect this stuff, too. Be the parent: if you dont want your child to have it, don't buy it for them, and don't greenlight the purchase. It's really that simple. Don't send your kid in to a toy store armed with the funds alone if you are that concerned about what they'll buy.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok fine, while they're at it ban GI JOE, ban Lego, ban superheroes. BAN ALL TOYS. They ALL influence children negatively in some way when a parent isn't intervening.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1413998113|3771056 said:
Ok fine, while they're at it ban GI JOE, ban Lego, ban superheroes. BAN ALL TOYS. They ALL influence children negatively in some way when a parent isn't intervening.

Legos are okay.
Superheros and GI Joe? Yeah ban them too.
Kids need realistic role models, not Superman. :knockout:

How bout a Gandhi non-violent action hero?
Bette yet, now bout an action figure of their mom or their dad, or themselves.
What is this worship of the 'superior' other?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I doubt most kids look to action figures and toys as role models. I played with Voltron, Transformers, GI Joes, Barbies, AND My Little Ponies as a kid, and never did I want to be any of them. I never wanted to look like any of them. They were just toys, and sometimes they fought against good, sometimes they against evil, sometimes they fought amongst themselves. Barbie was a badass soldier and GI Joes needed saving most of the time. Kids are imaginative and toys can be whatever they want the toys to be. Just because it's a GI Joe, doesn't mean it has to be a soldier 100% of the time. My GI Joe was a lot of different things, depending on the theme(s) of the day! My barbie was a 3rd degree black belt with those bent arms and crazy legs.

Kenny, you seem to think that kids are so easily influenced and really dumb. They're not that stupid. And if a particular child is easily influenced and believes everything he/she sees, then there are probably other issues present.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1414003090|3771096 said:
Kenny, you seem to think that kids are so easily influenced and really dumb.

Nice.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1413838143|3769964 said:
I voted no, but IMO they shouldn't sell other stuff that harms impressionable young minds, such as Barbie dolls.
Maybe kids are not influenced by 'cool stuff' they are exposed to.
But, what the hell do I know. :nono:

Hey, I was responding to this, I'm not trying to be an ass. IMO, tv shows that dumb down a kid is worse than action figures. I tried watching some of the shows on Nickalodean and Cartoon Network, and they gave me massive headache because the characters are so stupid. Zero problem solving skills. I'd be more concerned about that.

kenny|1414003768|3771105 said:

Nice.

And did you even read the rest of my post? Or did you pick the one sentence to take offense to and focus on that?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a typical knee jerk reaction in pulling these figures. Why do people want censorship in their lives so much? I don't get it :think:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt most kids look to action figures and toys as role models. I played with Voltron, Transformers, GI Joes, Barbies, AND My Little Ponies as a kid, and never did I want to be any of them. I never wanted to look like any of them. They were just toys, and sometimes they fought against good, sometimes they against evil, sometimes they fought amongst themselves. Barbie was a badass soldier and GI Joes needed saving most of the time. Kids are imaginative and toys can be whatever they want the toys to be. Just because it's a GI Joe, doesn't mean it has to be a soldier 100% of the time. My GI Joe was a lot of different things, depending on the theme(s) of the day! My barbie was a 3rd degree black belt with those bent arms and crazy legs.

Kenny, you seem to think that kids are so easily influenced and really dumb. They're not that stupid. And if a particular child is easily influenced and believes everything he/she sees, then there are probably other issues present.

:lol:

I don't really care one way or another. I don't like the action figures themselves but if a toy store wants to carry them, so be it. Toys R Us stores are set up by age ranges anyway (at least for the little ones), so I doubt young kids would see them.

I loved Breaking Bad, and it was really interesting to see the change in Walt over the years. Some episodes were hard to watch but overall, I'm glad I made it to the end.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1414003768|3771105 said:

Nice.

Oh Good Lord....relax, Kenny. :roll:

People vary. :wink2:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1413837889|3769960 said:
Should Toys R Us be selling drug dealer action figures that come with bags of meth and cash?

I've never seen it but I think Breaking Bad is a movie or TV show.

http://www.today.com/video/today/56260912#56260912

I don't know that Toys R Us is the appropriate vendor for them. But I'm certain that they will be big sellers in my town. :rolleyes: :lol:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE Breaking Bad. Did anyone see Bryan Cranston's response to the petition? He is hysterical..

Here is his tweet: "Florida mom petitions against Toys 'R Us over Breaking Bad action figures.' I'm so mad, I'm burning my Florida Mom action figure in protest."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I heard something on the news about them not being carried in my area. I have a 22 years old nephew that I was going to buy them for as a gag gift. Breaking Bad was his favorite show and I know the gift would have made him laugh out loud.

I would never have purchased them for a child.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I'm with Kenny.

For everyone there is a line that is not crossed, and for me that line is drug use.

I have ZERO tolerance for it. I will never even imply to my children that ANYthing about it is okay. Ever. Period. At all.

And I'm sure every criminal or drug addict has "a good reason" or "sad background".

I don't watch the show because, IMHO, if my children see me watching it, they will think I am condoning drug use.

Because kids are kinda dumb. They learn about the world from us. I was strict with my kids, and when they wanted to go to parties or out with questionable friends, I said "No. Just tell your friends your awful parents are super strict and they suck. Tell them you hate my guts. Whatever. But you're not going." Now that they're older, they've admitted the parties were full of drugs (to me, pot is a serious, gateway drug) and drinking. And they thanked me for holding the line. And my DD admitted she had to trash talk me to appear cool. That's fine. Whatever it takes.

I'm from the "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" school of parenting. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results