what color is a your front door?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1413925625|3770570 said:
monarch64|1413922983|3770547 said:
Calliecake|1413922150|3770538 said:
monarch64|1413899145|3770328 said:
Dark green, which matches the shutters and the rest of the trim. According to our HOA covenants, everyone's doors/trim/shutters are supposed to be painted some neutral/earth tone/inconspicuous color. Of course there is a house right at the main entrance whose inhabitants painted their front door bright, fluorescent orange. Maybe it's Niel's house. :lol: At any rate, it sure is distracting. especially in a neighborhood where there are lots of stop signs, kids playing, etc. I can get over the eyesore part of it and the rule breaking, but it is a distraction to drivers. If the house were in a different location, say, not in a neighborhood with an HOA, and not near road conditions which require focus on the part of the driver, I would have no problem with it and I'd think it was fun. It just isn't appropriate for this particular location.

Black door. Monnie I also live in a community with a HOA and covenants and really wouldn't have it any other way.

Black looks really elegant! I love bright paint on houses and doors, I really do. There are a lot of neighborhoods around where we live that encourage eclectic styles and anything goes, and it looks amazing. If I lived in one of those areas I would totally get into the spirit of it. I certainly did not mean to say that all bright doors are eyesores. Niel's is a lovely shade of orange. The one in my neighborhood is construction/hunting orange, definitely not a pretty shade, not an earth tone or the color of a beautiful autumn leaf.

Butterfly, I like the burgundy with your copper awnings. I think black might look a bit harsh?

Cflutist, that is a beautiful set of doors!

I think my pregnanxy hormones read your post with a mean tone :oops:

Sorry. Haha. I know a bright discount biohazard orange wouldn't be what I want in my neighborhood either.

I realized that, Niel, and that's why I came back to clarify. I made a lame joke and it didn't come off right! :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's just the color of the wood.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our door was solid oak built in 1926. The prior owners cut out two large squares for windows, took off all decorative hardware and painted it white. Our next door neighbors have the exact same door without any of the alterations and it is beautiful. Nothing I could do would help the travesty. So I painted it a glossy jet black and it does look a lot better. The house is yellow brick so I do not have many color options.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lambskin|1413927452|3770592 said:
Our door was solid oak built in 1926. The prior owners cut out two large squares for windows, took off all decorative hardware and painted it white. Our next door neighbors have the exact same door without any of the alterations and it is beautiful. Nothing I could do would help the travesty. So I painted it a glossy jet black and it does look a lot better. The house is yellow brick so I do not have many color options.

I have two neighbors that painted their solid oak doors as well. If they just knew how much solid oak doors cost I don't think they would have done it. They were both second owners of their houses.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Our door is a dark green / black, when we went to Ireland that was one of the first thing I noted, row houses all with different brightly colored doors, beautiful!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1413925625|3770570 said:
monarch64|1413922983|3770547 said:
Calliecake|1413922150|3770538 said:
monarch64|1413899145|3770328 said:
Dark green, which matches the shutters and the rest of the trim. According to our HOA covenants, everyone's doors/trim/shutters are supposed to be painted some neutral/earth tone/inconspicuous color. Of course there is a house right at the main entrance whose inhabitants painted their front door bright, fluorescent orange. Maybe it's Niel's house. :lol: At any rate, it sure is distracting. especially in a neighborhood where there are lots of stop signs, kids playing, etc. I can get over the eyesore part of it and the rule breaking, but it is a distraction to drivers. If the house were in a different location, say, not in a neighborhood with an HOA, and not near road conditions which require focus on the part of the driver, I would have no problem with it and I'd think it was fun. It just isn't appropriate for this particular location.

Black door. Monnie I also live in a community with a HOA and covenants and really wouldn't have it any other way.

Black looks really elegant! I love bright paint on houses and doors, I really do. There are a lot of neighborhoods around where we live that encourage eclectic styles and anything goes, and it looks amazing. If I lived in one of those areas I would totally get into the spirit of it. I certainly did not mean to say that all bright doors are eyesores. Niel's is a lovely shade of orange. The one in my neighborhood is construction/hunting orange, definitely not a pretty shade, not an earth tone or the color of a beautiful autumn leaf.

Butterfly, I like the burgundy with your copper awnings. I think black might look a bit harsh?

Cflutist, that is a beautiful set of doors!

I think my pregnanxy hormones read your post with a mean tone :oops:

Sorry. Haha. I know a bright discount biohazard orange wouldn't be what I want in my neighborhood either.

Niel, Your door is a beautiful color!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love those pretty colors-the orange is so lovely! Color makes me happy. When we bought the house the front door was white (as was the house) and when we painted the house, we did blue trim, and I had the front door and door into the garage painted the same blue. My dad about had heart failure. (DOORS ARE WHITE!!) Then when we sided, I wanted burgundy. HO-lee moly you shoulda heard him. I get my dramatics from him..."Oh GAAAAAWD who has a BUR-gundy DOOR??? Why would you DO that?" Then we did it and he's like oh hey, that looks really nice, that's a good idea. :rolleyes: A couple months ago my mom tells me they're replacing all the doors on their house, will I help her pick out a color for the big front steel door? I'm like ummmm I'm not sure you want ME to help you, Mrs. pick the lightest color on the paint swatch and cut it and half and feel super daring. So, I picked a dark-dark purple. They went w/it and they love it. HA!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1413933062|3770656 said:
I love those pretty colors-the orange is so lovely! Color makes me happy. When we bought the house the front door was white (as was the house) and when we painted the house, we did blue trim, and I had the front door and door into the garage painted the same blue. My dad about had heart failure. (DOORS ARE WHITE!!) Then when we sided, I wanted burgundy. HO-lee moly you shoulda heard him. I get my dramatics from him..."Oh GAAAAAWD who has a BUR-gundy DOOR??? Why would you DO that?" Then we did it and he's like oh hey, that looks really nice, that's a good idea. :rolleyes: A couple months ago my mom tells me they're replacing all the doors on their house, will I help her pick out a color for the big front steel door? I'm like ummmm I'm not sure you want ME to help you, Mrs. pick the lightest color on the paint swatch and cut it and half and feel super daring. So, I picked a dark-dark purple. They went w/it and they love it. HA!

I love dark purple doors! I bet it looks nice.

also, everyone with black doors, i love it!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ours is a light gray and needs to be repainted because it's peeling off. I would love to paint it emerald green or cobalt blue, but my husband isn't enthused about that idea. We have strict HOA nonsense too, but the way our house is set up, the door is very far from the street and in dark shadows even during the day, so you can't tell what color it is from the street. I could probably paint it neon pink and no one would notice. I love brightly colored doors. Our neighbors have a deep red door, which is nice.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine's plain wood as well.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1413934130|3770667 said:
Ours is a light gray and needs to be repainted because it's peeling off. I would love to paint it emerald green or cobalt blue, but my husband isn't enthused about that idea. We have strict HOA nonsense too, but the way our house is set up, the door is very far from the street and in dark shadows even during the day, so you can't tell what color it is from the street. I could probably paint it neon pink and no one would notice. I love brightly colored doors. Our neighbors have a deep red door, which is nice.

Could you make a deal with him that if you paint it and he doesnt like it you paint it again? Thats usually the deal i have to make with my hubby if i want to do something to the house and hes skeptical. "Ill do it, if you dont like it, ill change it back " :lol:

I wonder how mad your HOA would be about a cobalt or emerald green door, if it has to be "neutral/earth tone", just show them some of your CS's and say "see, this came from the earth"

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cobalt blue would be gorgeous, Freke!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i only just now realized this title has a typo. :oops: :roll:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A slate blue.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
A deep, brick red, front and back doors.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel the need to add even further clarification lest anyone think I live in a fuddy-duddy neighborhood with no personality! We do have neighbors with brighter blue, red, even REAL WOOD colored doors. Yeah, the brighter ones aren't in compliance with the rules, but this isn't a rule that is generally enforced. The biohazard orange (I love the way you put that, Niel!) door just happened several months ago, and since it's at an apex is really noticeable. If it were anywhere else in the maze of this housing addition I think no one would bat an eye, literally! The thing about HOA's is that someone has to actually complain...I don't think anyone will. We are not going to...we just liked to bitch about it the first few times we drove past, and it made for a good story on this thread...I thought. :bigsmile:

It's so dead-on, right when you drive in to the neighborhood that you can't help but focus on it. Like, it faces the street entrance so if you're coming in and stopping at the stop sign, your eyes are drawn to it and it's difficult to look away!

If it was 2-3 doors down from us, I'd never even see it. It's in a recessed entrance, even, but it just faces the main road. I feel like I should go take pics of it and post them so you guys can see what I mean! Not gonna do that, though. Privacy, and all that. But I promise you, it is a spot of crazy in a sea of otherwise nondescript doors that are obviously personal but not too outstanding. Ok, done.

I love your door, Niel, and your house color is gorgeous and works so well with the door color, but I love the example you posted as a next choice! It's like a kicked up version of what you already have, very nice.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1413944234|3770741 said:
I feel the need to add even further clarification lest anyone think I live in a fuddy-duddy neighborhood with no personality! We do have neighbors with brighter blue, red, even REAL WOOD colored doors. Yeah, the brighter ones aren't in compliance with the rules, but this isn't a rule that is generally enforced. The biohazard orange (I love the way you put that, Niel!) door just happened several months ago, and since it's at an apex is really noticeable. If it were anywhere else in the maze of this housing addition I think no one would bat an eye, literally! The thing about HOA's is that someone has to actually complain...I don't think anyone will. We are not going to...we just liked to bitch about it the first few times we drove past, and it made for a good story on this thread...I thought. :bigsmile:

It's so dead-on, right when you drive in to the neighborhood that you can't help but focus on it. Like, it faces the street entrance so if you're coming in and stopping at the stop sign, your eyes are drawn to it and it's difficult to look away!

If it was 2-3 doors down from us, I'd never even see it. It's in a recessed entrance, even, but it just faces the main road. I feel like I should go take pics of it and post them so you guys can see what I mean! Not gonna do that, though. Privacy, and all that. But I promise you, it is a spot of crazy in a sea of otherwise nondescript doors that are obviously personal but not too outstanding. Ok, done.

I love your door, Niel, and your house color is gorgeous and works so well with the door color, but I love the example you posted as a next choice! It's like a kicked up version of what you already have, very nice
Thanks! Like i said the house came that blue. The doors were white so i though it would bring the blue from normal to more whimsical. In our neighborhood is one of those neighborhoods that were built in the 50s. All the houses made from the same builder, all the same style. Sense then the houses have gotten additions, or houses have popped up around the old ones, but soooo many of our houses look cookie cutter. Another house down the road from me has a bright teal. That looks nice on their house as they just did a very stark white paint on the siding

Do those particular neighbors have other weird decor choices? I feel like there is one in every neighborhood.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just painted it Salsa!

_23475.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1413945709|3770762 said:
monarch64|1413944234|3770741 said:

I love your door, Niel, and your house color is gorgeous and works so well with the door color, but I love the example you posted as a next choice! It's like a kicked up version of what you already have, very nice
Thanks! Like i said the house came that blue. The doors were white so i though it would bring the blue from normal to more whimsical. In our neighborhood is one of those neighborhoods that were built in the 50s. All the houses made from the same builder, all the same style. Sense then the houses have gotten additions, or houses have popped up around the old ones, but soooo many of our houses look cookie cutter. Another house down the road from me has a bright teal. That looks nice on their house as they just did a very stark white paint on the siding

Do those particular neighbors have other weird decor choices? I feel like there is one in every neighborhood.

Yeah, I think you made a great choice with a brighter door color. Especially in a neighborhood that was built in that era. It's so great you can all put your own twist on the exterior colors as far as doors/trim. Really gives the neighborhood character, which admittedly ours with the rules doesn't have.

No, the biohazard orange door neighbors don't have any other weird choices. So maybe that's why the door stands out so much? The house is a dark brick exterior and the siding is like most other houses but the facade is all that dark brick so you don't even see the siding unless you're twisting your head looking for it. They don't have anything outstanding other than the door. I think there's a wreath on the door but I can't even see it for the door color?

I wish you could see the neighborhood I'm thinking of in our town. It's a very old, original set of homes built in the 30s and we have a few friends there. Everyone has their houses painted fun colors like lavender/blue/accent, green/blue/whatever, you get my point. They're quirky, they're fun, they're eccentric. I love visiting there. But even construction/hunting/biohazard orange doors would be shunned there! It's all about he "right" color, I think. I'm sure they even have standards, whether they are written and enforced, you know?

Seaside, FL reminds me of this. It's a community that was built back in the 90s (I think) and all the colors sort of mesh together, along the Gulf Coast. There was a movie filmed there, The Truman Show, back then. I've visited with my parents and it's a very lovely place, but yeah, conformity rules.

Glad we talked more, Niel. I like you a lot, and never meant to insult you. Have been wishing you the best in this pregnancy; I know it hasn't been "easy." Thanks for responding!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aprilbaby, your house is lovely, and that Salsa door looks fab!!! :appl:

Man, PSr's have the prettiest homes.

Deco posted a thread about her house and her exterior colors a couple years ago. It was so pretty, I remember she used purple or something kind of obscure/unusual and it was just gorgeous. Wish she'd chime in!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You all have such beautiful houses! Our house is darkish blue with a blue and white door. Sometime in the 70's our house was pumpkin orange. I wonder what color the door was then.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Purple to match the geranium Rozanne. I love it.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
Grey green with stained glass

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1413946541|3770769 said:
Just painted it Salsa!
April..why is your house tilted?.. :confused:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1413946541|3770769 said:
Just painted it Salsa!
Are those black shutters??

Amazing.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1413912487|3770439 said:
This is the only photo I have on my phone. So not a glamor shot but you get the idea

Love it!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
We did have a bishop's red by taubmans.. similar to elizabeth arden red door....it was in 2 previous houses that i have lived in. they were wooden doors. i had them painted that red... love the red door...

We moved and now have a frosted patterned glass door. We are renovating and the front door is going glass with wood panelling and there is going to be that splash of red....

Sadly, i dont have a photo of the old doors :(

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Such lovely doors/houses posted! :love:

We had to re-do our entry doors six months ago or so - they were peeling badly after an overzealous power washer hit them (they were just supposed to do the driveway, not the doors :angryfire: ).

We're in a secure/gated community and the HOA is very strict about house/door colors. We have hurricane fiberglass/wood double doors and had to paint them in a wood stain. They're similar in color to cflutist's, just darker.

Murphy's Law, just after we had the house and the doors painted, the HOA decided to allow more color options... some that I like much better than ours, sigh.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

April20

Ideal_Rock
Here's a picture of my front door. And you can see my house color where I'm making up for not having a door you can paint!

Shoot. The pic is sideways. I don't know how to fix that.

_23498.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results