shape
carat
color
clarity

4 ct sapphire to good to be true?

twinklelittlestar

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for a natural sapphire for a solitaire ring and wanted to go as big as possible on my limited budget of $3000. I came across this gem and am confused on the price. Is the price lower simply because of the color or am I missing something?
All help is greatly appreciated! http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/sapphire/ysa843aa/&930512007

Hopefully this is in the right place, I'm newish to PS.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
twinklelittlestar|1413426286|3767715 said:
I'm looking for a natural sapphire for a solitaire ring and wanted to go as big as possible on my limited budget of $3000. I came across this gem and am confused on the price. Is the price lower simply because of the color or am I missing something?
All help is greatly appreciated! http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/sapphire/ysa843aa/&930512007

Hopefully this is in the right place, I'm newish to PS.

For MC.com, that is a good price. You usually get what you pay for on that site, so for around $600/ct for an unheated, well cut, clean, large cushion, is a good deal. The only thing really "wrong" with it is the color. It's a light toned greyish blue, but to be honest, it's still a very pretty stone. If you want it, snap it up fast, otherwise a lurker might get it. That's been known to happen when people post stones they like, even though they want to buy them.

twinklelittlestar

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the quick responses TL and Elvis, didn't take much to convince me. I figured color had to do with the price but I am one of those people who favor the light color so it works well for me!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
twinklelittlestar|1413428221|3767727 said:
Thank you for the quick responses TL and Elvis, didn't take much to convince me. I figured color had to do with the price but I am one of those people who favor the light color so it works well for me!

Phew, glad you got it. I saw it was gone after we made our posts, and I thought it might have been a lurker. I have a 2.4 carat round light toned sapphire like that, and I love it.

Please post pics when you get it, and let us know what you think.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone save the vendor pic, so we can see what you guys are talking about? :naughty:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I like it - congratulation!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't know what the price was but it's a nice stone --- glad you got it & I'm looking forward to your photos when it arrives.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks very nice for the price - medium light tone, excellent cut. Add me as another who can't wait to see more pictures of this sapphire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1413460454|3767859 said:
Looks very nice for the price - medium light tone, excellent cut. Add me as another who can't wait to see more pictures of this sapphire.

It was also a little over 4 carats in size. Nice size too, and unheated.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Count me as another who is looking forward to more pics when you get it!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've never called a "shotgun!" before in my life, but OH ME OH MY that is a beautiful rock! Congratulations! What kind of a setting are you planning?

twinklelittlestar

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! And double thanks to dm-smith I didn't realize you wouldn't be able to see the listing after I purchased. I just got the shipping confirmation and should be able to post some pics on Tuesday! As for the setting I'm still not 100% sure. I like classic designs possibly a solitaire or micro-pave halo. I'm trying to post some pictures of rings that I like but having some trouble.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Nice find!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't go wrong with any of the designs posted; all are classic and elegant.

S

SparkliesLuver

Congrats on quite a find! :appl: Can't wait until next week when you're able to post pictures and tell us more about it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HALO it. It's a light toned stone, and a halo will only make the color richer looking and enhance the facet pattern.

BTW, I like how you used the stone for your avatar.

twinklelittlestar

Rough_Rock
Received the sapphire today. I think it is beautiful but I must say that this is my first loose gem purchase and I was a bit thrown off on the size. I know that sapphires are heavier than diamonds but it just seems itty bitty.

unnamed-5.jpg
With my 1.25 stud

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, lucky you. So few people don't like their first foray into gems, and you love it. Yes, sapphires are dense stones, and it has a nice high crown, so some of the weight is in the depth too, but the tradeoff is more sparkle!

It's very nice, enjoy!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm doesn't look itty bitty to me! Looks beautiful.... :love:

S

SparkliesLuver

I too was a bit thrown off on the size of my first CS, so it helped me realize the size (in mm) I wanted. However, I will say that yours doesn't look itty bitty on your hand. Do you know the dimensions of the stone?

I'm so glad you love it! :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CS are typically denser than diamonds, not to mention cushions do not face up as large as rounds. I think this sapphire is a little on the deep side too but the depth is in the crown, which should help it sparkle more. Are you keeping this sapphire?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once you set a stone, it also tends to look much bigger. For example, a 2 carat diamond looks tiny when loose, but huge when set and on the finger. To me, that's a nicely sized sapphire. Like Chrono said, cushions also tend to face up smaller, but it's not some speck of dust either.

It's up to you though.

jarne

Rough_Rock
hello

to me that sapphire does not look nice.

Sorry to say

best regards

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jarne|1414066873|3771486 said:
hello

Sorry to say

best regards

Colour is very personal. There are some colours I love and some colours I would never buy. Perhaps a nicer way to phrase is to say, it's not a colour for you because XYZ. I don't know whether this colour speaks to Twinklelittlestar, which is why I asked whether she is keeping or returning it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
She says she likes it & I agree with others that it definitely does not look small. Especially once it's set, it will be a good-sized ring. Btw -- I WANT the yellow sapphire ring in your examples, mucho mucho mucho! :love:

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1414089595|3771661 said:
jarne|1414066873|3771486 said:
hello

Sorry to say

best regards

Colour is very personal. There are some colours I love and some colours I would never buy. Perhaps a nicer way to phrase is to say, it's not a colour for you because XYZ. I don't know whether this colour speaks to Twinklelittlestar, which is why I asked whether she is keeping or returning it.

Jarne,
She said early on she likes colors liked that and we did tell her it was a greyish blue color, which it is.

Color is very personal. I think for people that like grey in their gems, it's very nice because it's cut really well, and has that sparkle factor, which to be honest, a lot of sapphires lack. I think in the right setting, it will look very nice. You have to like that color though, and again, color is very personal and subjective. I will say that she didn't overpay for it, and did get a decent price. That's really important here.

Now if she came on here and said, "I want a deep cornflower blue sapphire," we would definitely steer her away from this stone, OR if she bought this stone for 4x the price, it wouldn't be worth it, and again, we would steer her away. In this case, I think she hopefully got what she wanted and at a fair price.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Sapphire is much more than deepblue or hotpink...

I have a similar much smaller oval - I love them and the cutting, clarity and size of your stone a very very good.

Enjoy it!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results